OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:24:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW on Charlie Rose right now!  (Read 2616 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: November 03, 2009, 01:02:35 AM »

HIS ALL HOLINESS ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW on Charlie Rose right now!

Selam
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:03:02 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:07:59 AM »

Thanks for this reminder.  I had forgotten about it. 

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:09:06 AM »

Thanks for the heads up!

He seems sort of shy (e.g. not making eye contact), but I can understand him perfectly.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:16:42 AM »

He was exceptional!  Very articulate.  Charlie Rose allowed him to explain how our Holy Church is organized on this Earth, along with the divisions in Christianity, and about dialogue among the other monotheistic religions, Judism and Islam. His All Holiness explained his visit to America, to continue the work toward environmental conservation; bless the faithful Orthodox Christians in America, meeting with the hierarchs of the American jurisdictions, and meeting with the American civil leadership. He was appropriately responsive to everything Charlie Rose asked him.  He also explained the status of relations with the government of Turkey.  I'm so very proud to have him representing our Faith to this broad audience.  This was the longest I have ever heard him speak in one setting.

May God grant him continued health, inspiration, patience, and the stamina to continue along the path of his ministry for "Many Years."

"Eis Pola Eti Despota."

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:37:25 AM »

I was most impressed with his articulation of divine mystery. I was also impressed by his deep humility and cogent and concise explanation of Church history and the challenges of ecumenism. I also appreciated the way he consistently disassociated himself from worldly politics. I was also pleased to see him refute the common misconception that religion has been the primary source of wars and conflict.

I too was impressed by the interview, and think that overall it was of benefit to the advancement of Orthodox truth. But I would be remiss if I didn't confess my disappointment that he didn't address the issue of abortion. He had many opportunities to at least mention this issue, because Charlie Rose asked him repeatedly about human rights and social justice. It was obvious that Charlie Rose had deep respect for the Patriarch, and this was a prime opportunity to at least mention abortion in the litany of other important issues he discussed. Why he didn't do so, I cannot understand.

But my prayers are with him indeed. I still enjoyed the interview immensely, and was glad to stumble upon it. (I usually watch Charlie Rose out of habit every night, and had no idea the EO Patriarch was going to be on. What a blessing it was to tune in just in time to see the entire interview! Mystical things I tell you. Wink)

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:10:58 AM »

Is the interview online yet?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »

Not yet. I meant to post an announcement that the Patriarch would be on in advance -- it was tweeted about from the Patriarch's twitter account -- so more people could catch it. I imagine it will be up by the end of the week, at the latest.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »

if you go on right now you can catch it!  http://www.charlierose.com/

they just put it up probably. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »

^Nothing yet. 

All the website is doing is telling us of Algore's apperance tomorrow.  Big whoop.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »

Eis Pola Eti Despota!

http://www.charlierose.com/download/transcript/10696

How long is it usually before PBS replays recent videos? (months, weeks?....when should I look?)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:33:07 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »

^Nothing yet. 

All the website is doing is telling us of Algore's apperance tomorrow.  Big whoop.

After a few seconds of that, it proceeds to the episode with the Patriarch.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 06:22:48 PM »

The interview of Patriarch Bartholomew popped on as soon as I hit the site, five plus hours ago.  Older episodes are shown below the main video, so perhaps the Algore promo has displaced what I saw.  Interested viewers should scroll down to the bottom of the home page to view the inspiring video interview of His All Holiness.

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 07:31:14 PM »

The only thing I didn't like was, a few seconds after Charlie Rose says it is a 2000 year old Church, he then says "the Orthodox Church was founded in 1054" when it split from the Roman Catholic Church!   At least the first half is right. 
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 07:44:23 PM »

All I know is that when I posted my post earlier I was WATCHING the actual interview.  Not sure what happened now...

I thought it was pretty good. Anytime an orthodox hierarch gets an hour of a news-persons' time, its a good thing.  IMHO

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 07:55:58 PM »

The only thing I didn't like was, a few seconds after Charlie Rose says it is a 2000 year old Church, he then says "the Orthodox Church was founded in 1054" when it split from the Roman Catholic Church!   At least the first half is right. 
<papist whistling innocently>

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 08:30:24 PM »

laugh

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 11:33:25 AM »

Well, according the the transcript, Charlie Rose also said that Orthodoxy "quickly spread to greece" AFTER the schism. So apparently historical accuracy isn't high on their list of priorities. Smiley
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »

Beyond the obvious historical inaccuracies regarding the beginning of Orthodoxy, I'd say the interview seemed pretty good to me (reading the transcript, not watching the video).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »

It's up now.  Look to the right of the page under the second 'search' bar.  Click on 'archive' and that will allow you to view it.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 01:35:32 PM »

It's up now.  Look to the right of the page under the second 'search' bar.  Click on 'archive' and that will allow you to view it.  Smiley

Thanks.  I saw the option, but opted for the transcript because of the amazingly slow speed of my work computing machine.

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: