OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 08:26:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V  (Read 651 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

V
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:46:48 PM »

I'm excited with anticipation for ABC's "V."  I actually watched the Original series and Final Battle that was done in the 1980s that starred Marc Singer, Faye Grant, Jane Badler and MIchael Ironside among others.  SOme pretty cheesy effects but pretty well done and it was a favorite of mine growing up.

I have the feeling though that this remake is not going to live up to expectations and that I will sorely be disppointed. But I'll still watch it.  Anyone else?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »

I watched the original myself and actually liked the TV series. The original creator had a plot written to move forward with the original story and characters but it was rejected for this re-boot. I would have liked to see the original story line move forward but have no interest in a retelling of it.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »

We're planning to watch it.  I remember being scared silly watching it when I was a kid and after watching it today (they're showing it all day on the SciFi channel) it's far cheesier than I recall.  Still plenty of gross-out moments every time the Visitors sit down to a meal.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »

80's cheesy special effects - turn your head to the side and look like you're swallowing live mice whole.  I used to be able to make my kids think I could detach my thumb the same way.  Need I also mention the 80s' big hair and alien uniforms with shoulder pads.  Classic TV

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »

80's cheesy special effects - turn your head to the side and look like you're swallowing live mice whole.  I used to be able to make my kids think I could detach my thumb the same way.  Need I also mention the 80s' big hair and alien uniforms with shoulder pads.  Classic TV

I remember us all groaning at the ending. What a deus ex machina! (that's when I learned the term btw).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: movies 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: