OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 01:08:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for Converts  (Read 3039 times) Average Rating: 0
Feanor

Faith: Catholic

« on: November 02, 2009, 11:24:14 AM »

For those who are not 'cradle' Orthodox Christians, when you converted to Orthodoxy and began attending the Divine Liturgy at a church, what made you select that particular branch of Eastern Orthodoxy? Why did you chose to go to a Greek, Antiochian, Russian, Ukrainian, etc... Orthodox Church instead of the other options within Eastern Orthodoxy? I realise that for some your options were limited, so this question is mainly intended for those who selected their branch of the EOC from a number of options.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »

I'm in the OCA and I'm actually in an area where I have my choice of Greek, Antiochan, Ukrainian and three different Russian parishes (patriarchal, ROCOR and OCA).  I picked the church I go to now largely for comfort reasons.  I grew up near Pittsburgh and grew up around Slavs.  I'm just more comfortable around them.  As for the choice between the various Slav traditions in my area, my parish is mostly English and, frankly, the services are easier to get to.  The patriarchal parish splits its services between the main parish in Baltimore and its chapel @ their cemetery some 30 minutes away.  The ROCOR parish is all Slavonic except for the sermon which is in Russian; it's mainly an immigrant parish.

The fact that my parish is also a 10 minute drive/20 minute bus ride from my house works out nicely, too. Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »

My father's family was Syrian Orthodox and I chose the Antiochian parish they had been raised in. While my conversion experience was sudden & abrupt (attended my 1st DL cold & told our priest my desire to be a catechumen within 4 weeks), there was also a practical desire to be in a parish where I would feel more readily at home. Most people do not have a known comfort zone to settle into & I was just lucky. There are a few converts of non Orthodox ancestries in our parish who also feel at home too.

Antiochian OC N.A.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 12:38:59 PM »

I went to the OCA, as their claims to be the canonical Church in America were sound.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »

The first Divine Liturgy that I attended was at a small GOA mission parish. Friends had invited us, and although the Greeks sometimes get a bad rap for being clannish and unwelcoming, they couldn't have been nicer.
We actually went to the OCA parish on the recommendation of the people who invited us to the GOA parish. They said, "Look, we're Greek and we love our little church, but we also know that Greeks can be hard to take sometimes. We met these people from an OCA parish at a pan-Orthodox Pentecost picnic and they seemed really nice. Maybe you might want to go there. It's mostly converts and you could meet people who have been down this road before you."
So we did. Smiley

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »

When I originally converted, it was through the GOA as that was the only parish anywhere nearby. A few years later I ended up in a major metropolis with parishes from multiple jurisdictions within a reasonable distance. At that point I chose the OCA becasue, like ialmisry, I found the argument for their canonical jurisdiction to be the most persuasive.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »

For those who are not 'cradle' Orthodox Christians, when you converted to Orthodoxy and began attending the Divine Liturgy at a church, what made you select that particular branch of Eastern Orthodoxy? Why did you chose to go to a Greek, Antiochian, Russian, Ukrainian, etc... Orthodox Church instead of the other options within Eastern Orthodoxy? I realise that for some your options were limited, so this question is mainly intended for those who selected their branch of the EOC from a number of options.

I was chrismated Orthodox in February 2007 by a priest affiliated to the so-called Milan Synod (or, officially, "Orthodox Metropoly in Western Europe and the Americas"). No particular reason why that priest and that parish and that jurisdiction other than that it was in the town where I live and there were no other Orthodox parishes there. A bit later, I learned that the Milan Synod is not considered a canonical Orthodox jurisdiction, so I could be actually in some danger because there is no telling whether their Sacraments are valid or not. So I moved to my current parish, a Greek parish affiliated to the GOA (Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in the USA). Again, no reason other than proximity to where I live ("only" 50 miles).

If I lived in a place where there are many different Orthodox parishes, like New York City or Boston or Toronto, then I would, without a slightest hesitation, go to a Ukrainian Orthodox parish (UOC-USA or UOC-Canada). The language, the culture (particularly music) does matter a lot to me, a first-generation immigrant to the USA from Ukraine. But I do not mind being with a Greek parish: it is most certainly Orthodox, and it broadens my horizons, as I love to study foreign languages and various cultures of the world.

Love never fails.
Sakeneko

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 06:29:51 PM »

My first serious exposure to Orthodox Christianity was in Russia, where I (ironically) was a Protestant missionary at the time. <wry grin>  That likely is why I ended up doing my catechumenate at an OCA parish and then (after moving to a new area) a ROCOR parish, and have mostly gone to Russian, Serbian or mixed Eastern European/Slavic parishes since.  I didn't really think of it as a choice between that and a Byzantine/Greek or Byzantine/Arab parish, though; they're all the same church.  It was just where I felt most comfortable.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »

The first one I tried to go to was a Serbian church by my house. I drove over there one Sunday and the gates were closed (I found out later they only had services a couple times a month). I tried an OCA one the next Sunday and kept going there until I moved, and the OCA is the only jurisdiction with a presence in my current town so that's where I go. If I were in a town with churches from multiple jurisdictions, I'd choose the OCA church first because that's what I know.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:47:05 PM by wynd » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »

I go to a Serbian parish because it's where a family member of mine started going to a few years ago, and I tagged along one Sunday out of curiosity.  It's also the closest Orthodox church to my house, about a 10 minute drive.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 11:18:06 PM »

This won't help you, but I thought I'd share...

I attend an OCA parish because it was and is the only show in town.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 11:00:46 AM »

When I became Orthodox there were two parishes in the town, one was about 3 blocks from my home  (Greek Orthodox) and one was Antiochian, downtown several miles away---I chose the one closest to my home. When I was transfered to another area I attended a Russian orthodox Church as it was the closest one to where I live (in fact it was the only one in town). Later after yet another move I started to attend the nearest parish which this time was Antiochian, (50 miles from the town I live in). Despite differences in culture and tradition, we found the faith to be the same in all of them. My various transitions through parishes have shown me that Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy! If you have several options , of course choose the one that is the best fit culturally and personality to you but if you have only one remember that it is the Orthodox Faith that is important and your relationship with the Most Holy Trinity that is the real crux of the matter.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »

My home parish is OCA. I have attended weekday Liturgies and various pilgrimages at a nearby Greek monastery. I pilgrimage every year for one week to Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville (ROCOR).

If there was a ROCOR Church near my home---that would probably be my regular parish.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »

For me, it was the priest.  I found him to be more accommodating and helpful than the other priests in town.  They're not bad priests but I was looked at with suspicion because I was neither Greek (though I do speak Greek) nor Serbian and they wondered why I would want to come to their church which was so ethnic.  To me, neither priest really talked about Orthodoxy, but about what it is to be Greek or Serbian, which I can understand since Orthodoxy is intrinsically linked to those two cultures and they are not used to the American ideal to be "customers" when it comes to religion. 

My priest is himself a convert and so I was able to find common ground with him on the whole conversion process. 

If you can't make a spiritual connection with the priest to whom you will make confession, entrust your spiritual welfare, receive the mysteries, etc., then the church body is not going to make up for it.  Just mho.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
lkritchey

+ The Handmaiden of God, Laura +

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 01:48:09 AM »

The first time I went to a DL was during college when my Church History Professor took us to his home parish (an OCA church).  Five years later, I started to look at Orthodoxy more.  I asked around at The Ancient Way (another Orthodox Christian forum) if anyone knew of a good church in the area...and my professor's wife (not knowing that I had taken her husband's class) invited me to come with her to church!  They had changed church's to a fairly new mission parish that their old OCA church had planted.  So, I visited the church....felt completely at home with the church family there...really liked the priest...and fell in love with the liturgy there. I continued to go there because of the priest, the people there (about 2/3 converts...so many people in the same situation as me), my professor and his wife, and (imho) by God's design.  I think He knew what parish to direct me to Smiley  We're blessed to have a lot of great parishes around me (Greek, Serbean, Bulgarian, Antiochian, etc)...but the parish I'm in now is a great place for me to have been a catechumen and to now be a chrismated Orthodox Christian.

+May the Lord be gracious to us and make His face to shine upon us, that Thy way may be known upon earth, Thy saving power among all Nations + Psalm 67
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 02:02:26 AM »

The reason I picked my particular parish was because of my Spiritual Father, not so much the jurisdiction it belonged to. Also, no matter where I attended the liturgy, it would be in a language other than my own, so I figured Greek would be the more useful one to learn. My love for Byzantine chant was another reason. But I used to attend parishes of various different traditions after my chrismation, and feel as comfortable in a Russian church as in a Greek one.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 04:20:58 AM »

In December of 2006 an Orthodox priest in Virginia suggested where I should go.....AOCANA, And so there was never a need to look in the phone book.

The last I checked, there were over a hundred different parishes in the phone book. And I drive by a half a dozen while going to my parish......which is about a 20 minute drive.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:43:12 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »

I'm happy to live in a unique situation i.e. in a Western country where there is practically only one jurisdiction so the choice was quite obvious. In addition to the Finnish Church there is two MP parishes and one some kind of Greek Old Calendarist community but they are both situated in Helsinki and I live in other side of Finland. Furthermore, why should I choose a church with an alien language when I'm fortunate to have a local church with a native language.

If I moved to some other country I'd propably choose ROCOR/MP since I suppose it would feel most familiar.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »

Same for me, but then we attend the same parish.   Grin

I guess if we really were into torture Mr. Y and I could load up our two kids and drive the 3 1/2 hours to St. Louis or Kansas City every week but really, I've been happy with our OCA parish even in the midst of the recent scandal.  What variety it is doesn't really matter much when it comes down to it. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »

I guess if we really were into torture Mr. Y and I could load up our two kids and drive the 3 1/2 hours to St. Louis or Kansas City every week but really, I've been happy with our OCA parish even in the midst of the recent scandal.  What variety it is doesn't really matter much when it comes down to it. 
Oh, it matters. I wouldn't attend a non-canonical jurisdiction, even if it meant I'd have to drive 3 1/2 hours. But OCA is canonical (and more than that in our city: Bishop JOB is the only bishop over our city, and both parishes are under him--unfortunately such a canonical situation is a rarity in these United States), so I find our parish more than adequate for our needs. It's become our community.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »

There are OCA and Antiochian parishes within reasonable driving distance (1.5 hours), and the time it would take to get to the OCA parish is maybe five minutes faster…so I decided to go OCA because I liked the OCA arrangement of the DL better. It’s a fairly petty reason, in retrospect, but it at least got me in the door.

The priest there at the time was also more responsive to my emails, so that probably did a good bit of swaying as well.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 03:46:11 PM »

Oh, it matters. I wouldn't attend a non-canonical jurisdiction, even if it meant I'd have to drive 3 1/2 hours. But OCA is canonical (and more than that in our city: Bishop JOB is the only bishop over our city, and both parishes are under him--unfortunately such a canonical situation is a rarity in these United States), so I find our parish more than adequate for our needs. It's become our community.

Well, yes, that matters.  I was assuming that part.  Wink

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 09:22:50 PM »

When I converted in 1992, the two closest churches were a large, full-service Greek parish and a much smaller Antiochian parish.  Since I'm dependent on others for my transportation, I opted for the Greek parish as being the more likely to provide prople to transport me.

It turned out to be a good move.  The parish is very cosmopolitan; services are almost entirely in English; we occupied a new temple soon after my conversion, and the parish has a strong religious education program for adults as well as kids.  And I was readily welcomed, and not made to feel I had to be Greek in order to be Orthodox.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 09:44:32 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Cymbyz!

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 06:39:44 PM »

I'm a mixed bag of nuts....

.informally Converted - Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox
.Catechumen - French Western Rite of America
.Baptized and Chrismated - OCA Western Diocese
.Served the Cleros - Serbian Diocese of the West
.OCA Western Diocese - relocation
.Currently - Serbian Diocese of the West

I currently live in a city with a Serbian and Greek Church to choose from and 1hr. North is an OCA and ROCOR - why the choice for Serbian vs. Greek? All of my Priests have known each other closely and sort of passed me along to the other as I've relocated, 'til I got here. Besides, I have found the Western Serb. Churches to be warm & inviting ( full of different ethnicity and converts)  and nearly all of these churches were attached, in some degree, to Platina Monastery where I almost went to be a monk. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 06:42:20 PM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »

I have found the Western Serb. Churches to be warm & inviting ( full of different ethnicity and converts)  and nearly all of these churches were attached, in some degree, to Platina Monastery where I almost went to be a monk.

Did you like meat too much to go through with it? Wink
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »

I have found the Western Serb. Churches to be warm & inviting ( full of different ethnicity and converts)  and nearly all of these churches were attached, in some degree, to Platina Monastery where I almost went to be a monk.

Did you like meat too much to go through with it? Wink
No. I like my wife and kids too much, now.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:42:49 PM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
android

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GO Archdiocese of America- Southeast US

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 02:48:05 PM »

I went to the OCA, as their claims to be the canonical Church in America were sound.

Could you (and Witega) elaborate on this? I believe there is a meaningful distinction between being a canonical jurisdiction (with OCA's autocephaly being acceptable) and a claim based on being "the" sole canonical Church in America (and does that apply to the whole continent, just the USA, etc.)?

Do you believe that GOA, Antiochian, or even Russian parishes in the US are somehow "less" than the OCA?

I'm just trying to understand the implications, assumptions and underpinnings of this issue. From what I've read (arguments on both sides) the arguments against OCA's autocephaly (based on canon law, history, etc.) and Russia's dominion over the entire continent seem most persuasive, but you 2 are intelligent and reasonable so I'm interested in your thoughts.

To answer the question- I chose GOA because the college professor that turned me on to Orthodoxy was GOA, he and his wife became my godparents, and I like the use of Greek since it is scriptural.

I am now at a different GOA parish (I moved) and I'm there because of the priest and the fact that the community is so welcoming (and large numbers of converts).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:51:36 PM by android » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: