Author Topic: Orthodoxy And Religion  (Read 8466 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Orthodoxy And Religion
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »
I know of at least a few people on this forum who have asserted that Orthodoxy is not a religion. If you believe this, what definition would you give for religion?
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline Liz

• High Elder
Re: Orthodoxy And Religion
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:48:59 PM »
I suppose I might say that Christianity is a religion and Orthodoxy is subset of that religion?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »
I think that would ordinarily be a good explanation, but in this case I think something different is meant by "Orthodoxy is not a religion". For example, one member of this forum has the following in their signature:

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

I don't want to name names, because I don't mean to be calling anyone in particular out. If people want to respond on this thread regarding what they mean, that's up to them. I was just curious because, under almost all definitions that I've seen for religion, Orthodoxy would qualify as a religion.
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:58:29 PM »
I know of at least a few people on this forum who have asserted that Orthodoxy is not a religion. If you believe this, what definition would you give for religion?

A religion is a set of beliefs held by humans resulting from their attempts at conceptualizing God from the position of plani (delusion). Orthodoxy is the Revelation of God by God.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 01:01:29 PM »
A religion is a set of beliefs held by humans resulting from their attempts at conceptualizing God from the position of plani (delusion). Orthodoxy is the Revelation of God by God.

Thanks for providing a definition. But I have to ask, what makes this creation of a definition different than Evangelicals who say they aren't religious because "Christianity is not about a religion, it's about a relationship"? I mean, I know you think it's different because you think Orthodoxy is the truth, and not the result of delusion. But how is someone on the outside looking in to view this?

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »

Priceless.  :)
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »
Thanks for providing a definition. But I have to ask, what makes this creation of a definition different than Evangelicals who say they aren't religious because "Christianity is not about a religion, it's about a relationship"?
But is that relationship a revealed one or a conceptualized one?

I mean, I know you think it's different because you think Orthodoxy is the truth, and not the result of delusion.
To some degree that may be true, but I think it's slightly different because in Orthodoxy (true Orthodoxy) the emphasis is God's revelation- the only possible way we can know anything about God- rather than a logical search for "truth". It is Truth revealing Itself rather than trying to conjure truth up out of a set of logical connections. Truth in Orthodoxy is hardly "logical" (a Virgin giving birth, the uncircumscribable God being circumscribed in an animal feeding trough etc.)

But how is someone on the outside looking in to view this?
I don't think it can be viewed from the "outside". I don't think Orthodoxy can "dialogue" with non-Orthodoxy in the same way that two different cultures can dialogue about their differences. I don't think anyone can be "logically argued" into the Church, and if they are, then they are have probably entered because of delusion and will soon leave as the delusion dispells.
I think Orthodoxy can only be viewed from the inside. From the outside it just doesn't make sense.

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 02:28:59 PM »
Thanks for providing a definition. But I have to ask, what makes this creation of a definition different than Evangelicals who say they aren't religious because "Christianity is not about a religion, it's about a relationship"?
But is that relationship a revealed one or a conceptualized one?

I mean, I know you think it's different because you think Orthodoxy is the truth, and not the result of delusion.
To some degree that may be true, but I think it's slightly different because in Orthodoxy (true Orthodoxy) the emphasis is God's revelation- the only possible way we can know anything about God- rather than a logical search for "truth". It is Truth revealing Itself rather than trying to conjure truth up out of a set of logical connections. Truth in Orthodoxy is hardly "logical" (a Virgin giving birth, the uncircumscribable God being circumscribed in an animal feeding trough etc.)

But how is someone on the outside looking in to view this?
I don't think it can be viewed from the "outside". I don't think Orthodoxy can "dialogue" with non-Orthodoxy in the same way that two different cultures can dialogue about their differences. I don't think anyone can be "logically argued" into the Church, and if they are, then they are have probably entered because of delusion and will soon leave as the delusion dispells.
I think Orthodoxy can only be viewed from the inside. From the outside it just doesn't make sense.

I would say that many of these things could be said about other faiths (maybe all faiths?).

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »
I would say that many of these things could be said about other faiths (maybe all faiths?).
Yes, but they wouldn't mean the same thing. :)

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 03:33:34 PM »
"Religion (θρησκεία) that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." James 1:27
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 04:04:19 PM »

But how could you know without being an insider in all of these faiths?  ;)

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »

Because those faiths are understandable without having to be an insider.

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »

Because those faiths are understandable without having to be an insider.

I don't know that insiders in those faiths would agree with you, though. Frankly, that is a bit of a cop-out, no?

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »
I don't know that insiders in those faiths would agree with you, though.
I know they wouldn't.

Frankly, that is a bit of a cop-out, no?
Probably looks that way from the outside. The Orthodox Church is not a denomination, so it cannot speak as one, it can only speak from what it is which is the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. Yes, any group can make that claim, but what difference does that make? Ultimately, what those outside of the Orthodox Church are left with is this: either the Orthodox Christian Faith is the fullness of the Truth which God has revealed or it is not. If it is, problem solved. If it is not, then either:
1) The Orthodox Christian Faith is in error in its claim to be the fullness of the Truth of the revelation of God, and it is in reality only part of God's revelation; in which case either the Fullness of revealed Truth is contained somewhere else, or
2) it is contained piecemeal in various churches, individuals etc. or
3) God has made no revelation of Himself to the Cosmos and everything we know about Him is simply conjecture, or
4) There is no God.
If the Fullness of revealed Truth is contained somewhere else (possibility #1), the Orthodox Church must give up its claim of being the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. If one thing it dogmatically believes is false, then there is no way of knowing whether anything else it dogmatically believes is True. Same goes for every other faith. We can therefore never know the Truth of God's revelation.
If the fullness of Truth is scattered in various individuals and groups (possibility #2), then there is no way of discerning what is and isn't the fullness of Truth, so it may as well not have been revealed.
If the only things we know about God are our own conceptions (possibility #3), we can never know what is or isn't the Truth about Him.
If there is no God (possibility #4), then even discussing it is pointless.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 05:13:08 PM by ozgeorge »

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »
I don't know that insiders in those faiths would agree with you, though.
I know they wouldn't.

Frankly, that is a bit of a cop-out, no?
Probably looks that way from the outside. The Orthodox Church is not a denomination, so it cannot speak as one, it can only speak from what it is which is the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. Yes, any group can make that claim, but what difference does that make? Ultimately, what those outside of the Orthodox Church are left with is this: either the Orthodox Christian Faith is the fullness of the Truth which God has revealed or it is not. If it is, problem solved. If it is not, then either:
1) The Orthodox Christian Faith is in error in its claim to be the fullness of the Truth of the revelation of God, and it is in reality only part of God's revelation; in which case either the Fullness of revealed Truth is contained somewhere else, or
2) it is contained piecemeal in various churches, individuals etc. or
3) God has made no revelation of Himself to the Cosmos and everything we know about Him is simply conjecture, or
4) There is no God.
If the Fullness of revealed Truth is contained somewhere else (possibility #1), the Orthodox Church must give up its claim of being the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. If one thing it dogmatically believes is false, then there is no way of knowing whether anything else it dogmatically believes is True. Same goes for every other faith. We can therefore never know the Truth of God's revelation.
If the fullness of Truth is scattered in various individuals and groups (possibility #2), then there is no way of discerning what is and isn't the fullness of Truth, so it may as well not have been revealed.
If the only things we know about God are our own conceptions (possibility #3), we can never know what is or isn't the Truth about Him.
If there is no God (possibility #4), then even discussing it is pointless.

It sounds to me as if what you are saying is that either someone is an insider, and therefore understands, or they're not - and therefore cannot understand. That's fine, as long as you accept that in saying this, you are only one of many groups who see insiders and outsiders in the same way. I guess you do accept this, given that you say 'what difference does it make', but that was what I was trying to get at: it may make a difference to you, inside, to know you are part of the True Church, but presumably others are feeling exactly the same way in different faiths, without any of you having advanced any but a personal and subjective impression.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »

Ok, count me confused. Does that mean that all converts decide to become Orthodox for non-sensical reasons?

Offline mountainman

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
what religions outside of the judeo-christian milieu claim to have the fullness of God's revelation in exclusive terms?

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
what religions outside of the judeo-christian milieu claim to have the fullness of God's revelation in exclusive terms?

Islam and Mormonism, for starters.

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 08:15:04 PM »

They don't count, as they were both birthed out of the common Christian paradigm.

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »

They don't count, as they were both birthed out of the common Christian paradigm.

But surely all religions are some kind of distorted view of Christianity? Where do you want to stop?

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 08:29:33 PM »
But surely all religions are some kind of distorted view of Christianity?

No, they aren't.  Just look to the Far-East for endless examples of religions that have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity.  Hinduisms, Buddhisms, and Zoroastrianism are a few examples of religions that predate Christianity, have nothing to do with it, and have survived into the the modern era.  Both of your examples are Christian offshoots.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:31:12 PM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 08:33:44 PM »
But surely all religions are some kind of distorted view of Christianity?

No, they aren't.  Just look to the Far-East for endless examples of religions that have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity.  Hinduisms, Buddhisms, and Zoroastrianism are a few examples of religions that predate Christianity, have nothing to do with it, and have survived into the the modern era.  Both of your examples are Christian offshoots.

Not really - or only in the sense that Christianity is a 'offshoot' from Judaism. What I am getting at is that Christianity is, in my view, the Truth. Other religions may or may not be valid, sincere attempts to see the truth, but I cannot, personally, see them as equally 'true'.

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I think you need to reread the posts again.  mountainman asked for examples of religions outside of the "judeo-christian milieu" which claim "to have the fullness of God's revelation in exclusive terms."

You then went on to name two religious traditions that come out of the Christian paradigm.  I was not saying that these or any other religions are equally as 'true' as the various Christianities in existence.  I was pointing out that the examples you provided are working within a particular religious framework; one of exclusive truth.  He challenged posters to find examples outside of Christianity, and I would guess that he did so to point out that only Jews, Christians, and their offspring think of religious reality in such exclusive terms.  However, I'm not certain that it was his intent to make such an assertion.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:54:38 PM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 08:57:54 PM »
Other religions may not speak in terms of "fullness of God's revelation", but the terminology they use is analogous. For instance, in certain Buddhist texts, it's said that only in the teaching of the Buddha exists the path to the total end of suffering. (And then you have different Buddhist traditions claim that this or that tradition in fact contains the fullest form of the Buddha's teaching, but that's another story.)

The Judeo-Christian milieu itself was very deeply influenced by the Indo-Aryan Zarathustran prophetic teachings, in which Zarathustra prophesied about an End-Time, in which occurs the salvation of the Godly and the damnation of the ungodly. I would put Zarathustra within the Judeo-Christian lineage, though it's complicated because Zarathustra's cultural background was also Indo-Aryan, a cousin to the Vedic culture of India.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:01:52 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »
Jetavan, just so we are clear, I know that all other religious traditions have similarly exclusive claims, I was simply offering examples I thought broadly fit outside of the context of the Jewish-Christian paradigm.

Offline jnorm888

• Jnorm
  • Archon
  • Icon and Cross (international space station)
    • Ancient Christian Defender
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 09:14:56 PM »
I suppose I might say that Christianity is a religion and Orthodoxy is subset of that religion?

How can it be a subset when it started as one and the same?

ICXC NIKA
"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 06:54:30 AM »

Ok, count me confused. Does that mean that all converts decide to become Orthodox for non-sensical reasons?
Indeed it does mean precisely that. Everyone enters the Church for illogical reasons, and those who remain in the Church do so for "nonsensical" (as in "illogical") reasons. There is nothing "logical" about Faith. Those who "think their way" into the Church will not remain but will "think their way" out of it again unless they find a better, more solid reason to stay- the reason is simple, the Orthodox Faith goes against logic. Faith is the only solid footing in this case. As the Apostle put it: "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen." (Hebrews 11:1)
"I know that my Redeemer liveth", but I can't logically prove it to you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:00:06 AM by ozgeorge »

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »
I think you need to reread the posts again.  mountainman asked for examples of religions outside of the "judeo-christian milieu" which claim "to have the fullness of God's revelation in exclusive terms."

You then went on to name two religious traditions that come out of the Christian paradigm.  I was not saying that these or any other religions are equally as 'true' as the various Christianities in existence.  I was pointing out that the examples you provided are working within a particular religious framework; one of exclusive truth.  He challenged posters to find examples outside of Christianity, and I would guess that he did so to point out that only Jews, Christians, and their offspring think of religious reality in such exclusive terms.  However, I'm not certain that it was his intent to make such an assertion.

Thanks, I see. Yes, in that case I suspect he's right, there may not be any. But I was brought up to believe it was quite offensive to 'claim' Muslims as part of a 'Christian paradigm'. Oh dear - maybe this should be on the sheep stealing thread!  :)

That's the only reason I got confused, anyway.

Online Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »
But I was brought up to believe it was quite offensive to 'claim' Muslims as part of a 'Christian paradigm'.

Well, it might offend Muslims to say that they are practicing a distorted form of Christianity, but not any more than it will offend them to say that Jesus Christ (peace be upon Him!) is the God-man incarnate.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »
Indeed it does mean precisely that. Everyone enters the Church for illogical reasons, and those who remain in the Church do so for "nonsensical" (as in "illogical") reasons. There is nothing "logical" about Faith. Those who "think their way" into the Church will not remain but will "think their way" out of it again unless they find a better, more solid reason to stay- the reason is simple, the Orthodox Faith goes against logic. Faith is the only solid footing in this case.

After reading the H1N1 and the Eucharist thread, I think I understand what you mean. Just makes me shake my head in disbelief.  :-X

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 05:39:28 AM »
Indeed it does mean precisely that. Everyone enters the Church for illogical reasons, and those who remain in the Church do so for "nonsensical" (as in "illogical") reasons. There is nothing "logical" about Faith. Those who "think their way" into the Church will not remain but will "think their way" out of it again unless they find a better, more solid reason to stay- the reason is simple, the Orthodox Faith goes against logic. Faith is the only solid footing in this case.

After reading the H1N1 and the Eucharist thread, I think I understand what you mean. Just makes me shake my head in disbelief.  :-X

I'm glad you see what I mean! And the H1N1 thread to date is a good example of where Faith becomes illogical from the outside, yet is a "solid footing" from the inside. The Priest will consume the entire contents of what remains in the Chalice after the Spoon has been "double dipped" sometimes hundreds of times every Sunday, yet I've never heard of a case of a Priest being rushed to Hospital with acute gastroenteritis attributed to this.

Offline Agia Marina

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
  • St. Marina of Antioch
    • Holy Cross Monastery
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 10:19:55 PM »

Amen  :angel:
“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
    • Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2016, 07:50:23 AM »
Orthodoxy is "The Way, the Truth and the Life" (John, 14-6)

I hate that it is tagged as a religion because it is put in the same basket as the other religions, thus having the bad reputation that other religions might have. Religion for me feels like if you have to abide to a set of man-made rules, like being in the military. Orthodoxy is totally free: if you want to fast, you fast. If you don't want to fast, well you might not reap the fruits that comes with the labour of fasting.

When someone tells me that I am religious and I do some practices because of it, I told them that nobody forced me to do them and that I voluntary chose to do them. It is the Way I chose to live my Life, and in my opinion, it is the Truth.
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2016, 08:32:17 AM »
I believe that Orthodoxy is the Truth. This because they can't be 12 (apostles) and more insane people that describe the same events in the same way and suffer tortures and die for their faith if this faith is based on hallucinations. I know that a person can have hallucinations but I don't know many people to have absolutely the same hallucinations as in the case of our holy apostles. For Christianity there are just 2 concepts. The one is that it is the biggest lie in history and the other that it is the only true religion. Based on history and on scriptures (both christian or other scriptures) Jesus indeed was an existing figure. Jews accept it too. Our holy apostles suffered and many of them died because of their faith. And they did not react with violence. They just accepted the tortures. They didn't lose their faith. They recommended other christians to to the same. They can't be just insane or people that created a lie to conquer the world. Faith in God is not explained just in human logic.
For You keep my lamp burning; Lord my God You illumine my darkness. (Psalm 17:29)

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »
I believe that Orthodoxy is the Truth. This because they can't be 12 (apostles) and more insane people that describe the same events in the same way and suffer tortures and die for their faith if this faith is based on hallucinations. I know that a person can have hallucinations but I don't know many people to have absolutely the same hallucinations as in the case of our holy apostles. For Christianity there are just 2 concepts. The one is that it is the biggest lie in history and the other that it is the only true religion. Based on history and on scriptures (both christian or other scriptures) Jesus indeed was an existing figure. Jews accept it too. Our holy apostles suffered and many of them died because of their faith. And they did not react with violence. They just accepted the tortures. They didn't lose their faith. They recommended other christians to to the same. They can't be just insane or people that created a lie to conquer the world. Faith in God is not explained just in human logic.

I am not asking you this question to put you in a bad place or to challenge you, my friend, not at all. But, would you tag the other religions as lies then?

Is Islam the biggest lie in history based on their fruits? Or Hinduism? Or Buddhism?

I am just curious about yours and others answers.

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2016, 08:54:02 AM »

I am not asking you this question to put you in a bad place or to challenge you, my friend, not at all. But, would you tag the other religions as lies then?

Is Islam the biggest lie in history based on their fruits? Or Hinduism? Or Buddhism?

I am just curious about yours and others answers.

For Islam I believe that yes it is a big lie. Muhammad said that an angel spoke to him in a cave. And he didn't had other people around him to tell us that it was a true fact. So I can say that it was an insane or a very clever man that organised a new religion to conquer all the arabian peninsula. Hinduism and Buddhism are spiritual religions and I respect them. I can't forget Ghadi. They have an interesting theology too. I also respect a lot Zoroastrianism. In my opinion these religions have a part of the truth. But not the whole and correct truth.
For You keep my lamp burning; Lord my God You illumine my darkness. (Psalm 17:29)

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2016, 09:06:15 AM »
Interesting! Thank you!

Offline Alkis

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
For example in Zoroastrianism they have a teaching that God (Ahura Mazda) sends on earth saviours that are born by a virgin to make mankind return to the faith. For Christianity this happened only one time. But it was prophesied by Zaratustra too... years ago. That is why Magi visited our Lord in Bethlehem. So if I accept that Christianity is the truth, Zoroastrianism has a part of the truth. Buddhists say that this life has a lot of pain and the reason is our wishes and they behave in a way to cleanse themselves by this suffering. James also says something similar in his epistle. He says that we have wishes and the wishes give birth to sin and the sin brings death. It is quite similar, isn't it? So Buddhism has a part of the truth too.

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2016, 09:48:47 AM »
For example in Zoroastrianism they have a teaching that God (Ahura Mazda) sends on earth saviours that are born by a virgin to make mankind return to the faith. For Christianity this happened only one time. But it was prophesied by Zaratustra too... years ago. That is why Magi visited our Lord in Bethlehem. So if I accept that Christianity is the truth, Zoroastrianism has a part of the truth. Buddhists say that this life has a lot of pain and the reason is our wishes and they behave in a way to cleanse themselves by this suffering. James also says something similar in his epistle. He says that we have wishes and the wishes give birth to sin and the sin brings death. It is quite similar, isn't it? So Buddhism has a part of the truth too.

So some religions are pointing to Christianity, and some have used it to its own agendas. Are you making the same observations or am I going astray?

Offline Alkis

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »

So some religions are pointing to Christianity, and some have used it to its own agendas. Are you making the same observations or am I going astray?

I mean that for me the whole truth is one and exists in one religion of all the eixisting religions. All religions can't be true at all. For example we teach that God is one and triune. Islam rejects it and says he is one and unique. Hinduism has many gods. So what is God? What is the essence of God? Is he one? 10 and more? Is he one and triune? If God exists, just one concept of them is correct. Not all. Every religion has a concept about God or divine essence and teaches that its purpose is to make man to be honest, good and to save him. So every religion has parts of the truth but not the whole truth.

Offline ahmad seraphim

• why am I here?
  • Jurisdiction: my heart belongs to Patriarch Pavle
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:05 AM »
RELIGION vs ATHEIST
ORTHODOX vs HETERODOX
RELIGION is found by human
ORTHODOX is found by CHRIST in 33AD
St.Ahmed of Calligrapher pray for us!