OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:58:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yoga  (Read 1126 times) Average Rating: 0
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« on: October 29, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »

Hello!

A few weeks ago in my Health & Wellness class, the professor had a woman come in and do a Yoga demonstration. The person doing the demonstration was very good, and simply showed us how to do the excercises and breathing techniques without the religious stuff associated with it.

After doing the excercises, for the first time in months I was able to truly relax.

As somoene who struggles with insomnia, I thought this would a good thing to practice to help me relieve my stress, get some excercise, and perhaps get some decent sleep.

However, as I am also on a budget (Unemployed College Student!), I just wanted to get a DVD rather than pay for classes.

So, can anyone here reccomend a good Yoga DVD that just shows the excercises without the religious mumbo jumbo?

Thanks for your help!

Maureen

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:55:40 PM »

Haven't seen the video, but I am a fan of Danica so here's my suggestion.

http://www.dailydoseofdharma.com/trailer.html
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:50:53 PM »

As my past posts show, I used to really be against yoga.  Before converting to Eastern Orthodoxy, I took yoga for awhile and was exposed to a lot of Hinduism.  At the time, I was open to those teachings and really enjoyed them.  After having talked to some folks (both on this forum and outside), I came to the conclusion that yoga without the spirituality can most definitely be beneficial.  I have a few yoga videos (all with Rodney Yee) and have enjoyed them over the years.  I also have two very helpful books on yoga.  Both are helpful, but if there's any way you can swing it (maybe your school offers it? Also, yoga studios offer discounts to students...), you really need the help of a professional teacher.  They will be able to monitor your posture and make corrections (something really difficult to do on your own).  They'll also be able to answer questions you're sure to have about the various postures.

Good luck!  It's bigtime fun and beneficial if you get the right instructor. Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:01:44 PM »

Barnes and Noble sells Rodney Yee yoga DVDs (as well as tai chi DVDs).

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »

Thanks to all for your suggestions! Although I would love to attend classes, the money is just not in the budget at this time.

I will check out the Rodney Yee videos!

Thanks again!

In XC,

Maureen

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:04:19 PM »

I have run across yoga videos on youtube before, so if you don't get the DVD's that's a possible avenue to explore. Also, I don't know if you have cable, but on our fitness channel they have a yoga program on a few times a day.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags: yoga 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: