OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:43:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Correct grammar website  (Read 1073 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: October 31, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »

I know I have way too much time on my hands, but I am having fun reading the stuff on this website about grammar:

http://www.towson.edu/ows/index.htm

I'm learning a lot, like I think I've been using semicolons wrong all these years.   Smiley

I just thought I'd share. 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »

Well thank you for the website, though I must admit that some of what it was saying went right over my head! For example...

"Use a semicolon... Between independent clauses containing internal punctuation – even when the clauses are joined by coordinating conjunctions."

Huh? Huh  Grin I enjoy writing, but I admit that my grasp of the actual rules and terms are elementary at best.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »

Well thank you for the website, though I must admit that some of what it was saying went right over my head! For example...

"Use a semicolon... Between independent clauses containing internal punctuation – even when the clauses are joined by coordinating conjunctions."

Huh? Huh  Grin I enjoy writing, but I admit that my grasp of the actual rules and terms are elementary at best.

In my experience, people are most likely to make mistakes by using a comma when a semicolon should be used. For example, I need a comma in the current sentence. This is because 'for example' is a phrase that makes no sense on its own: it needs to be modifying 'I need a comma in the current sentence'. So, I use a comma to show that there are two units, the first of which depends upon the other.

However, as soon as I want to link two grammatical units that are both sentences in their own right, I must use a semicolon.

Basically, if you have two pieces of text which are complete sentences in their own right (eg, 'I am quite pathetically interested in grammar' and 'Some people think I am a terrible pedant'), these can be joined by a semicolon ('I am quite pathetically interested in grammar; some people think I am a terrible pedant'). This removes the need for any kind of connecting word, like 'and' or 'but'.

A semicolon is used when two grammatical units are of equal 'value', that is, when neither one is modifying the other. In the above example, the two pieces of text could each be a single, stand-along sentence: neither is incomplete without the other.

It would be incorrect to join them together with a comma (this is not a sufficiently 'heavy' punctuation mark to mark the work of each grammatical unit'), so either a conjunction like 'and' or 'but' is used, or a semicolon.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 06:45:08 PM »

Liz,

Well, see, that made sense to me! Thanks Smiley  No offense meant, of course, to Salpy and the site she provided. I'm sure that site is very informative if you understand the terminology (which I guess any 6th grader would Embarrassed  Smiley )
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 06:45:46 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »

Liz,

Well, see, that made sense to me! Thanks Smiley  No offense meant, of course, to Salpy and the site she provided. I'm sure that site is very informative if you understand the terminology (which I guess any 6th grader would Embarrassed  Smiley )

Thanks, I'm glad it made sense. But I wasn't really trying to sum up what was on the site; I was just commenting on a common mistake that people make, which is easy to correct once you know what's going on.

Grammar is always more complicated than I could ever understand by learning the rules - all I have is a well-reinforced reflex that tells me when my mother would say, 'NO!', plus a little formal teaching that sometimes tells me why!
Tags: grammar correct grammar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: