Author Topic: Ukraine's Certainly Got Talent!  (Read 1932 times)

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
Ukraine's Certainly Got Talent!
« on: August 22, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »
Kseniya Simonova, the winner of this year's "Ukraine's Got Talent" tells the story of Germany conquering Ukraine in the second world war using an amazing medium- sand animation. She brings calm, then conflict. A couple on a bench become a woman's face; a peaceful walkway becomes a conflagration; a weeping widow morphs into an obelisk for an unknown soldier. She destroys then recreates her scenes - with deft strokes, sprinkles and sweeps she keeps the narrative going. She moves the judges to tears as she subtitles the final scene 'you are always near'. Here is the video of her amazing performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518XP8prwZo

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
Re: Ukraine's Certainly Got Talent!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:54:15 PM »
Wow!  That was absolutely amazing to watch.  Thanks George!
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:51:45 PM »
Wow!  That was absolutely amazing to watch.  Thanks George!

I can't add anything more...
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 02:13:38 AM »
Was that Metallica in the background?  HA!

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 04:29:14 AM »
We're having a debate at work about the last image she makes. Do you think the sailor in the window is the father returning home after the war, or do you think it is the child's reflection in the glass reminding the woman of her lover and making her smile? I tend to the latter and think the subtitle "You Are Always Near" supports this.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:33:02 AM by ozgeorge »

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 04:47:14 AM »
I definitely think it is the latter.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline jayjay

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »
WOW! That was brilliant!!
Expect the best, Prepare for the worst!

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
I've seen it earlier. I was stunned.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
Beautiful....

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »
Beautiful-shmutiful, talent-shmalent, but she presents a 100% Stalinist version of the so-called "Great Patriotic War," with the songs written by Stalin's lackeys, and so on and so forth. Ignorance really is a bliss. :(
Love never fails.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 07:12:21 PM »
Beautiful-shmutiful, talent-shmalent, but she presents a 100% Stalinist version of the so-called "Great Patriotic War," with the songs written by Stalin's lackeys, and so on and so forth. Ignorance really is a bliss. :(

Politics aside George, its beautiful artwork. Not knowing the details of the battle between Germany and Ukraine, I think her message tells the heartache many families go through during war. Regardless of which side they are on.

Sons and daughters are lost on both sides. Heartache is felt all around.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:35 PM »
We're having a debate at work about the last image she makes. Do you think the sailor in the window is the father returning home after the war, or do you think it is the child's reflection in the glass reminding the woman of her lover and making her smile? I tend to the latter and think the subtitle "You Are Always Near" supports this.

I think it's the mother and child saying "Goodbye" to the father, and letting him know that he will always be with them in spirit.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 07:11:03 AM »

Politics aside George, its beautiful artwork. Not knowing the details of the battle between Germany and Ukraine, I think her message tells the heartache many families go through during war. Regardless of which side they are on.

Sons and daughters are lost on both sides. Heartache is felt all around.

Yes, but the world should know that there was some history different from what's written in books influenced, on the one end, by Stalinist authors and on the other by liars like the Pulitzer Prize winner Walter Duranty. Sons and daughters (100,000 or so of them) also fought in the Ukrainian Insurgent Army, against both Hitler and Stalin, and almost all of them perished, and nobody ever honors them.

As far as beautiful artwork, Leni Riefenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" is a pretty powerful piece of art, too (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_of_the_Will). So are Soviet cult films of the 1930-s like "Merry Young Men," "Volga, Volga!", and "The Circus." This sand impersonation is of the same spirit...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:12:01 AM by Heorhij »
Love never fails.

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 07:29:11 AM »
Everyone has his own right to remember such things in history as they will.

Z praznykom, Heorhij!
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline ozgeorge

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 08:09:18 AM »
I agree. The narrative Ksenia presents could just as equally be about a German couple and their child and the location could be Berlin during and after the war.

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 11:37:28 AM »

It truly resonates at the core of my soul.. I see no problem as we are all different...One man's beauty is another man's ugliness..  :)

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 11:38:02 AM »
I agree. The narrative Ksenia presents could just as equally be about a German couple and their child and the location could be Berlin during and after the war.

Same here - I agree.

Offline Pilgrim

• Elder
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »
Does it mean "you're always near" ? That would make more sense.
Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom

Offline Feanor

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 05:38:19 AM »
Incredible video... simply breathtaking. Such emotional energy conveyed by such a simple artistic medium is profound. Thanks for posting it.

Was that Metallica in the background?  HA!

It was a Metallica song, 'Nothing Else Matters,' played by the Finnish cello group Apocalyptica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXEpP21soXY