OrthodoxChristianity.net
February 01, 2015, 07:01:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time Management and Patristics/Orthodoxy  (Read 1139 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: January 14, 2015, 11:57:33 PM »

Hello all!

I'm asked to give a talk on time management to undergraduate youth (I'm the worst person to give it) Tongue

In any case, I've been doing a search, basically on Ancient Faith Radio and some other sites, and I think I have an idea what to talk about (and most probably to learn best for myself).  But I have a favor to ask all of you lovely folks.  Do you happen to know perhaps a patristic lesson on "Time Management" (EO or OO)?  If not, what about contemporary Orthodox theologians on the subject (EO or OO)?

I appreciate all the help!  Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:58:06 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Severian
Aspiring Allopathic Ankle Orthodontist
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:08:24 AM »

-Sub-

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

Lord, protect Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq.
Justin Kissel
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: Fate

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:31:17 AM »

Is this something you will be doing soon, or is there some more time to look around comfortably yet? Also, are you asking for more practical tips or guidelines, or the larger spiritual ideas that might be involved? Regarding the latter, anyway, one to start might be the 19th Homily of St. John Chrysostom on Ephesians.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

and Scholiast Sciolist

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:40:13 AM »

Looking up patristic commentary on St. Paul's "redeeming the time" might bear some fruit?

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 01:50:05 AM »

Is this something you will be doing soon, or is there some more time to look around comfortably yet? Also, are you asking for more practical tips or guidelines, or the larger spiritual ideas that might be involved? Regarding the latter, anyway, one to start might be the 19th Homily of St. John Chrysostom on Ephesians.

Either or...it's very open it seems...I was told the new semester is starting, perhaps they need to learn about time management.  So I'm researching it now.

Thank you for the homily link. I'll definitely take a look.

Porter, thank you for the suggestion. Great idea!

This is due by the 23rd. So I got time. (No pun intended)

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »

i had a quick look at the link, it's great!
i love saint john chrysostom!
he was given very much wisdom by God in interpreting the Bible, and he preaches with very much love.

the other thing i would suggest you do is to explain to them that they don't have to follow the modern business
concepts of time management that are popular in developed countries - that is being maximally efficient.
that leads to selfishness and greed.

instead, deliberately leave extra time on you way to work / other places and travel more slowly, being open to
every opportunity to do good and learn from those who are also on the road.
you can smile at a neighbour, pick something up that an old person dropped, smell a flower,
point out the lovely sunrise to the man on the bus, let a car driver pull out in front of you,
let your colleague help you with a heavy bag etc. etc.

if you are maximally efficient, you may shut out others around you on your journey through life.
so learn from the depth and beauty of God's love and take / waste time on loving everyone you meet.

this is something i learned by taking time to observe how the more spiritual people around me go through their day.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 08:05:04 PM »

So I mainly used two sources for my lecture:

http://www.bogoslov.ru/en/text/2668945.html

http://oca.org/resource-handbook/theology/time-management-an-orthodox-perspective

St. John Chrysostom was essentially not much different from Dr. Albert Rossi's more in-depth discussion.  I used a lot of other resources, but I think these two sites were excellent to use along with some wisdom from the desert fathers.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 06:52:26 AM »

wow, interesting sites!
and the advice here matches what i have observed in some people's lives that i admire.
 Smiley
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:12:10 AM »

Time management is for a real job and a working career.  laugh
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:12:27 AM by WPM » Logged
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 08:19:27 AM »

Hello all!

I'm asked to give a talk on time management to undergraduate youth (I'm the worst person to give it) Tongue

In any case, I've been doing a search, basically on Ancient Faith Radio and some other sites, and I think I have an idea what to talk about (and most probably to learn best for myself).  But I have a favor to ask all of you lovely folks.  Do you happen to know perhaps a patristic lesson on "Time Management" (EO or OO)?  If not, what about contemporary Orthodox theologians on the subject (EO or OO)?

I appreciate all the help!  Thank you!

Ancient/Old Rome used Sundials to measure daylight.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:20:50 AM by WPM » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »

Time management is for a real job and a working career.  laugh

if you look at those links, (the second one is best, well, it is the shortest!)
then you will see that this Christian orthodox concept of time management is for anyone,
you don't have to have a job.

it's about giving each day to God and about being ready to reach out to those around you with God's love,
not just rush from one thing to another.
it's about not wasting too much time on the computer when you could be reading the Bible or a spiritual book.
it's about praying before everything and humbly accepting life in God.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

fleem
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »

Hello all!

In any case, I've been doing a search, basically on Ancient Faith Radio and some other sites, and I think I have an idea what to talk about (and most probably to learn best for myself).  But I have a favor to ask all of you lovely folks.  Do you happen to know perhaps a patristic lesson on "Time Management" (EO or OO)?  If not, what about contemporary Orthodox theologians on the subject (EO or OO)?

This has to do with what?  Huh

He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:25 AM »

Time management is for a real job and a working career.  laugh

if you look at those links, (the second one is best, well, it is the shortest!)
then you will see that this Christian orthodox concept of time management is for anyone,
you don't have to have a job.

it's about giving each day to God and about being ready to reach out to those around you with God's love,
not just rush from one thing to another.
it's about not wasting too much time on the computer when you could be reading the Bible or a spiritual book.
it's about praying before everything and humbly accepting life in God.

The nice thing is that it does fit will with the other one.  Time as "chalice of eternity" does involve using time for the glory of God, to fill it with God just as our chalices are filled with the eternal and life-giving blood of our Lord.  I think putting those two together does make for a great lecture for those who do want to understand the meaning of time and the meaning of the misnomer of "time management".

The homily by St. John Chrysostom pretty much summarizes that time does not belong to us but to God, and that we should not feel inconvenienced at inconveniences, but to be prepared to sacrifice all our time to God.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:32:30 AM by minasoliman » Logged

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 11:24:11 PM »

Hello all!

12 hours of daylight is the workday.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

fleem
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 12:26:39 AM »

Hello all!

Not necessarily. Not everybody works for twelve hours at a time.

Again, what does that have to do with anything?

He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:49:43 AM »

Hello all!

This has to do with what?  Huh

Time Management = watches,clocks,timers,calendars,sundials etc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:50:12 AM by WPM » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

fleem
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »

Hello all!

This has to do with what?  Huh

Time Management = watches,clocks,timers,calendars,sundials etc.

Those are methods of time *measurement.* Time *management* is a different thing.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: