OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 07:57:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There Is A God - Antony Flew  (Read 823 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: October 30, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

I just started reading the book There Is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind by Antony Flew and Roy Abraham Varghese. The premise of the book is of great interest to me, but I've put off reading it because of the controversy surrounding it, and the controversy surrounding the statements of Flew since 2004 generally. I'm only about 40 pages into the book and already I've found some confusing bits, such Flew identifying himself (or being described as) both a deist and a theist. I guess what I'm making this thread for is, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows more than what I've read on sites like wiki? If you're familiar with Flew, what do you make of his seeming backtracking on some issues, the charge that he is unfamiliar with some of the content of this book, the charge that he does not believe everything written in the book, and so forth?

St. Basil is great!

Wonder if he drank goat's milk . . .
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 09:52:36 PM »

I thought the title of this thread meant that some guy called Antony managed to fly, and this miracle proves there is a God.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:13:24 PM »

That literally made me laugh out loud!  Grin

St. Basil is great!

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:20:45 PM »

I thought the title of this thread meant that some guy called Antony managed to fly, and this miracle proves there is a God.

LOL! Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything, or it would have been all over my monitor by now!  laugh laugh laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 04:51:12 AM »

LOL! Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything, or it would have been all over my monitor by now!  laugh laugh laugh

laugh laugh laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »

I just started reading the book There Is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind by Antony Flew and Roy Abraham Varghese. The premise of the book is of great interest to me, but I've put off reading it because of the controversy surrounding it, and the controversy surrounding the statements of Flew since 2004 generally. I'm only about 40 pages into the book and already I've found some confusing bits, such Flew identifying himself (or being described as) both a deist and a theist. I guess what I'm making this thread for is, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows more than what I've read on sites like wiki? If you're familiar with Flew, what do you make of his seeming backtracking on some issues, the charge that he is unfamiliar with some of the content of this book, the charge that he does not believe everything written in the book, and so forth?
I've heard the idea that Flew is rather elderly, and so did not write all of the book, or did not actually agree with everything the co-author (who apparently is a Christian who wants to demonstrate the logicality of theism) wrote in the book. My understanding is that Flew went from atheism to deism, rather than to theism, based on his greater appreciation of the laws of physics and the apparently "fine-tuned" natural constants.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »

I've heard the idea that Flew is rather elderly, and so did not write all of the book, or did not actually agree with everything the co-author (who apparently is a Christian who wants to demonstrate the logicality of theism) wrote in the book. My understanding is that Flew went from atheism to deism, rather than to theism, based on his greater appreciation of the laws of physics and the apparently "fine-tuned" natural constants.

I have to agree to a degree with those who object to the book actually being written by Flew.  His mental capacity has really deteriorated over the years.  Some even go as far to say he has lost the ability to read and comprehend/remember the subject matter.  I don't doubt that he is a Deist now, but the presentation of his beliefs lately seem suspect.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 02:31:32 AM »

Ok, I've finished the book. I still don't know what to make of it as far as the participation of Flew (or lack of participation) in writing the book. I do know that generally the book was fairly sensible, but that the first appendix, written by Roy Abraham Varghese, had some examples in it that I thought were plain silly*. The bulk of the book seemed to be built around a review of theist literature from the past few decades on the arguments for the existence and attributes of God by Swinburne, etc. At the very least I did pick out a few books that sounded like they'd be interesting reading, such as Time and Eternity by Brian Leftow.

* For example, Varghese asked if a marble table, after a million years, could ever become self-aware. No? Then that demonstrates to his satisfaction that matter can't become self-aware without divine intervention. This argument reminded me of young earth creationists who ask questions like "Could two monkeys ever produce a human?"

St. Basil is great!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: