OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:20:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Father Ambrose and ialmisry appreciation thread  (Read 3530 times) Average Rating: 0
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« on: October 30, 2009, 12:39:49 AM »

Just wanted to say that while I'm new around here, I really enjoy the posts of Fr. Ambrose and ialmisry.  I understand Fr. Ambrose being so learned because he's a priest, monk and an older gentleman, but where did you acquire your knowledge, ialmisry? 

Anyway, though it's silly I just wanted to say I like reading the stuff Fr. Ambrose and ialmisry write and am really impressed by how much they know and how they say it.

Not that there aren't a lot of good posters around here, but these gentlemen have just stood out.   Grin
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 12:40:07 AM by GregoryLA » Logged
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:27:05 AM »

Just wanted to say that while I'm new around here, I really enjoy the posts of Fr. Ambrose and ialmisry.  I understand Fr. Ambrose being so learned because he's a priest, monk and an older gentleman, but where did you acquire your knowledge, ialmisry? 

Anyway, though it's silly I just wanted to say I like reading the stuff Fr. Ambrose and ialmisry write and am really impressed by how much they know and how they say it.

Not that there aren't a lot of good posters around here, but these gentlemen have just stood out.   Grin

I second that.  I have learned so much from both their posts both here and elsewhere.
May God grant them both MANY BLESSED YEARS!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:55:23 AM »

Thirded.  Can we add Orthodoc to the list? Wink
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:55:41 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:02:39 AM »

The Triumvirate Integritas= Isa, Fr. Ambrose and Orthodoc.

And if I may, someone we don't hear nearly enough from?  Fr. Chris!  Unfortunately, he keeps a low profile and thus deprives us of a great sense of humor and depth of knowledge!!!  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 02:05:46 AM »

Honorable mention should also go to GreekChef, pity she doesn't post more often, but then she must be a busy lady.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 02:36:32 AM »

The Triumvirate Integritas= Isa, Fr. Ambrose and Orthodoc.

And if I may, someone we don't hear nearly enough from?  Fr. Chris!  Unfortunately, he keeps a low profile and thus deprives us of a great sense of humor and depth of knowledge!!!  Smiley

Yes, it would be good to hear more from Father Chris. But to be honest, I think he shows great wisdom in keeping a low profile. As a Priest, he has to be concerned with not alienating those in his parish. If he chimed in on every issue, he would most certainly offend some people. But I can assure you that Father Chris is doing profound Christian works, such as feeding the homeless and ministering to those in his parish. And not only that, but he reached out to my family and me and offered us a spiritual "home away from home" at his Church. I'm sure he has read many of my posts and is familiar with my controversial views and opinions, but he has been nothing but kind and receptive to me whenever I attend his Church. He has also taken the time to personally chat with me in depth on many occasions after Wednesday Paraklesis. And I can tell you that he is deeply beloved by the members of his parish.

Sometimes I want our Orthodox Priests to be spiritual revolutionaries and prophets of fire. But I have to realize that their primary role is to administer the Sacraments, lead us in the Liturgy, and encourage us to understand and live out our Orthodox Faith. Father Chris's Church is in a rough part of town, and the Church has been broken in to on numerous occasions. And yet, Father Chris and the people of his parish cooperate in the Liturgy and offer up prayers with the doors of the Church open to the public.

Let us pray for Father Chris and all of our Priests. God bless them!

Selam 

Selam 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:37:25 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 03:20:40 AM »

Thirded.  Can we add Orthodoc to the list? Wink

I 4th it!

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 04:24:49 AM »

Thanks for the nice words, Gregory.

I enjoy the interaction on the Net, I enjoy sharing what little knowledge I have accumulated and, being an Irishman, I sometimes wave my shillelagh around (which has seen me moderated now and again!)

Fr Ambrose
SDMPNS
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 05:09:31 AM »

Include me in ....Irish Hermit was very kind to me during a trying time..God grant him many years if He hasn't already!
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »

Many years and a virtual cookie basket! (They are fasting cookies.  Cheesy )
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 08:38:14 AM »

Many, many, many years!

PS: I do think that the moderators are doing a great job and deserve our kudos. Many years to them!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 09:56:41 AM »

I second it.

Btw, as to the OP's question: I read and try to discern.

Orthodoc reminds me of the people who first welcomed me into Orthodoxy.

Bless, Father Chris.

I enjoy the interaction on the Net, I enjoy sharing what little knowledge I have accumulated and, being an Irishman, I sometimes wave my shillelagh around (which has seen me moderated now and again!)

As opposed to my calm Arab Mediterranean temperment.

Honorable mention should also go to GreekChef, pity she doesn't post more often, but then she must be a busy lady.

Yes, all the wisdom in a kinder, gentler package.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:57:40 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »

Count me in. I am an ideological opponent of these three men, especially when it comes to what I see as their Russophilia, their lack of appreciation of what Ukraine is, and their stance on certain matters of Orthodox life. Yet, I do very much appreciate their erudition, logic, self-control (something I really would love to learn from them), and their dedication to God and the Orthodox faith.

Love never fails.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 11:45:45 AM »

Can I also add Starlight, FatherHLL and serb1389 to the list?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 11:55:16 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 12:01:27 PM »

I second it.

Btw, as to the OP's question: I read and try to discern.

Orthodoc reminds me of the people who first welcomed me into Orthodoxy.

Bless, Father Chris.

As opposed to my calm Arab Mediterranean temperment.

Yes, all the wisdom in a kinder, gentler package.

I too have often been impressed with the depth of knowledge you both have displayed here and back on CAF.. I have a question about what to read.

Are you able to read in different languages and therefore have access to a broader range of materials or do you stick with what is published in English? And if you do read primarily in English, can you give the rest of us some advice about study? I think many of us are likely on an advanced beginner stage. We have read the best known books and catechisms. What would you recommend to us in categories like Theology and history and such the like?

Thanks..

Call the question..
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 12:03:16 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 01:23:03 PM »

I agree !00%..Axios , worthy, dostojni, And Many Many years to Both of them........Zivili......Glory to God In All things.....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »

Are you able to read in different languages and therefore have access to a broader range of materials or do you stick with what is published in English? And if you do read primarily in English, can you give the rest of us some advice about study? I think many of us are likely on an advanced beginner stage. We have read the best known books and catechisms. What would you recommend to us in categories like Theology and history and such the like?

Thanks..

Call the question..
I usually read the original in conjunction with an English annotated translation, as unfortunately the English annotations are usuall far better (texts of the original are usually weighed down with textual criticism matters).  I go back to the original, however, to check the translation.

First I would recommend things like St. Vladimir popular patristics series, which are readable and up to date.  The Fathers in the Penguin series are also good.  I recommend reading the Fathers as to have some discernment in reading secondary theologians.  I must admit, that in the latter category (which time will canonized as contemporary Fathers I am sure) some bias towards Fr. Schemann, Meyendorf (whose Encyclopedia Britannica article on Orthodoxy led me to her), Evdikinov, Afanassieff, Losky etc.. I've read a lot of Greek theologians (e.g. "Partakers of Divine Nature: An Inspiring Presentation of Man's Purpose in Life According to Orthodox Theology" by Archimandrite Christoforos Stavropoulos) but I can't say any stand out as these.  Not that I agree with all they say, but they make good points and are readable: although part of the U of C ilk, I don't care for scholarship as exercises in erudition.  The idea here is to get a framwork to develop the context of what the Fathers have to say.  For history/theology, assuming that you've read Eusebius, Socrates, Sozomen,  I'd go throught the Seven Ecumenical Councils volume of the Post-Nicene Fathers series
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.html

Until you are well versed, stay away from the Pedalion (the reading of which should require permission from a spiritual Father) ESPECIALLY the common English translation.

Maybe a list of great Orthodox books should be composed.  I'd start with the letters of St. Ignatius, St. Clement I, the Didache, Martyrdom of St. Polycarp, (the Penguin "Apostolic Fathers" is good)
http://books.google.ro/books?id=9m6fZSvxUU4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Apostolic+Fathers+Penguin&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Apostolic%20Fathers%20Penguin&f=false
St. Athanasius "On the Incarnation,"
http://books.google.ro/books?id=nqpeFIndskgC&dq=On+the+Incarnation&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=VCDrSsm5KobwMdGzgIQM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false
St. John of Damascus "Font of Knowledge," (Catholic University Press has the complete work, CCEL only the last, most important, part)
http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=85669584
and his "On the Divine Images,"
http://books.google.com/books?id=x_U1mtafEPMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=on+the+divine+images&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&as_brr=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false
are among the must reads.

A dangerous tool is Wikipedia: if you can shift wheat from chaff (the better articles have references that can be checked, etc.) it is a god send.  But you have to know how to use it (I can hear "Physician, heal thyself).

and then, listen to Ancient Faith Radio (I'm lucky that I hear much of the material in person).
http://ancientfaith.com/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:50:25 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »

Thanks..

Call the question..
I usually read the original in conjunction with an English annotated translation, as unfortunately the English annotations are usuall far better (texts of the original are usually weighed down with textual criticism matters).  I go back to the original, however, to check the translation.

First I would recommend things like St. Vladimir popular patristics series, which are readable and up to date.  The Fathers in the Penguin series are also good.  I recommend reading the Fathers as to have some discernment in reading secondary theologians.  I must admit, that in the latter category (which time will canonized as contemporary Fathers I am sure) some bias towards Fr. Schemann, Meyendorf (whose Encyclopedia Britannica article on Orthodoxy led me to her), Evdikinov, Afanassieff, Losky etc.. I've read a lot of Greek theologians (e.g. "Partakers of Divine Nature: An Inspiring Presentation of Man's Purpose in Life According to Orthodox Theology" by Archimandrite Christoforos Stavropoulos) but I can't say any stand out as these.  Not that I agree with all they say, but they make good points and are readable: although part of the U of C ilk, I don't care for scholarship as exercises in erudition.  The idea here is to get a framwork to develop the context of what the Fathers have to say.  For history/theology, assuming that you've read Eusebius, Socrates, Sozomen,  I'd go throught the Seven Ecumenical Councils volume of the Post-Nicene Fathers series
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.html

Until you are well versed, stay away from the Pedalion (the reading of which should require permission from a spiritual Father) ESPECIALLY the common English translation.

Maybe a list of great Orthodox books should be composed.  I'd start with the letters of St. Ignatius, St. Clement I, the Didache, Martyrdom of St. Polycarp, (the Penguin "Apostolic Fathers" is good)
http://books.google.ro/books?id=9m6fZSvxUU4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Apostolic+Fathers+Penguin&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Apostolic%20Fathers%20Penguin&f=false
St. Athanasius "On the Incarnation,"
http://books.google.ro/books?id=nqpeFIndskgC&dq=On+the+Incarnation&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=VCDrSsm5KobwMdGzgIQM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false
St. John of Damascus "Font of Knowledge," (Catholic University Press has the complete work, CCEL only the last, most important, part)
and his "On the Divine Images,"
http://books.google.com/books?id=x_U1mtafEPMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=on+the+divine+images&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&as_brr=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false
are among the must reads.

A dangerous tool is Wikipedia: if you can shift wheat from chaff (the better articles have references that can be checked, etc.) it is a god send.  But you have to know how to use it (I can hear "Physician, heal thyself).

and then, listen to Ancient Faith Radio (I'm lucky that I hear much of the material in person).
http://ancientfaith.com/

Thanks a million ! I only understood about half of what you just wrote, but that is plenty Smiley

Yes, Ancient Faith Radio is a boon to all of us and I hope people continued to donate to them. I became personal friends with the guys from www.Ourlifeinchrist.com which has largely been folded into Ancient Faith Radio.

Keep up your good work

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »

God bless these posters!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »

I just came across the CUP edition:
http://books.google.com/books?id=H9wlrya9lXYC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »

Thanks.. Adding to my Christmas list.

sandersjp

Faith: Orthodox [new zealand ]
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 02:09:20 AM »

I know Fr Ambrose in real life
He is wise and it is my greatest honour to know him and lean from him.
He is New Zealand best kept secret. 
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 03:18:57 AM »

Blushing
Tags: ialmisry's b.s. 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: