OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:54:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quote of Carl Sagan  (Read 4279 times) Average Rating: 0
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »

^^  How have they been so far?  I always loved Dr. Sagan's writings; he had such a poetic and powerful way of describing what can be complex theories and ideas.

On a side note, this cracked me up:

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2009, 06:02:27 AM »

There has been a chapter here or there that didn't really grab me, but I've really enjoyed the books overall (probably 90% of the material). I don't think I'll be able to give an answer that will satisfy ialmisry, but so far it's been interesting nonetheless.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »

Young Girl: Dad, do you think God exists?
Father: I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »

I think Sagan would be proud:

July 14, 2014 — Because of his unique perspective as both a scientist and a man of faith, Jesuit Brother Guy Consolmagno has been awarded the Carl Sagan Medal from the American Astronomical Society (AAS).
“As a Jesuit Brother, Guy has become the voice of the juxtaposition of planetary science and astronomy with Christian belief, a rational spokesperson who can convey exceptionally well how religion and science can co-exist for believers,” the AAS wrote.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2014, 12:34:26 PM »

I think Sagan would be proud:

July 14, 2014 — Because of his unique perspective as both a scientist and a man of faith, Jesuit Brother Guy Consolmagno has been awarded the Carl Sagan Medal from the American Astronomical Society (AAS).
“As a Jesuit Brother, Guy has become the voice of the juxtaposition of planetary science and astronomy with Christian belief, a rational spokesperson who can convey exceptionally well how religion and science can co-exist for believers,” the AAS wrote.

His book God's Mechanics: How Scientists and Engineers Make Sense of Religion looks like an interesting read (and only $10.49 on Kindle), I'll have to put that on the list...

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »

What have I stumbled on? Justin and Jetavan's version of "Quotes from the Fathers"?

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2014, 03:56:38 PM »

What have I stumbled on? Justin and Jetavan's version of "Quotes from the Fathers"?

Well, maybe when I'm done on this thread I'll head over and post some patristic quotes in those Church Fathers threads. I've never been in them, but I've been wanting to post something!  Tongue

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2014, 03:58:09 PM »

Wink

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »

I think I will just start referring to you two as J2.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »

I think I will just start referring to you two as J2.

It is a little know but irrefutable fact that the initials of both Justin Kissel and my other name, Justin Credible, are properly to be written as: J. With that in mind, I believe using J2 to refer to myself and Jetavan would be both inaccurate and confusing. Cool

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: