OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 07:06:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Distant Object Yet Detected Carries Clues from Early Universe  (Read 2610 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: October 28, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »

Most Distant Object Yet Detected Carries Clues from Early Universe

A violent explosion picked up by a NASA satellite earlier this year is the oldest object ever seen by astronomers, its light having been emitted some 13 billion years ago. At that time the universe was roughly 5 percent of its present age and the big bang was a fairly recent occurrence, having taken place just 600 million years earlier...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:17:22 PM »

Wow.

How marvelous are your works, O Lord, in wisdom have you wrought them all!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »

Absolutely amazing!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 12:28:45 PM »

The universe is so beautiful... Its as if the angles move the heavenly bodies.   Smiley

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Sakeneko

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 02:02:58 PM »

No kidding.  When I was first studying physics in college almost thirty years ago, I fell in love with it and its subsidiary subject astronomy.  When you take the trouble to look at how the universe is structured and the way things work, at any level of detail (particle physics on one end of that spectrum, astronomical objects like galaxy clusters or even larger on the other), it's genuinely awe-inspiring.  I accept that not everybody sees this as evidence for God's existence, but for those of us who do believe it fits right in with the idea of God as the Creator.
Aspartam

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church, Moscow Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »

No kidding.  When I was first studying physics in college almost thirty years ago, I fell in love with it and its subsidiary subject astronomy.  When you take the trouble to look at how the universe is structured and the way things work, at any level of detail (particle physics on one end of that spectrum, astronomical objects like galaxy clusters or even larger on the other), it's genuinely awe-inspiring.  I accept that not everybody sees this as evidence for God's existence, but for those of us who do believe it fits right in with the idea of God as the Creator.
Sorry for a small off-top… Your post has reminded me...

I did not seriously study  the astronomy, but when I began study biological sciences at a university, I clear realized, that the world had been created.
We more or less know how living organisms work. But how they have appeared?..
Tremendous reasonability of life does not enable to doubt about Creation.

Forgive me for my broken English.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 07:55:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Aspartam Smiley
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:56:35 PM »

I echo Fr. George's sentiments.  Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Sakeneko

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:16:47 PM »

<nod>  Biology is as intricate, patterned, and unlikely (in my opinion) to be an accidental thing as the universe itself.  I know more physics than I do biology, but I've done my share of the latter.  It's fascinating.

Most creationists would be very annoyed at me for having no trouble believing that the theory of evolution is largely correct.  Most atheists (of the militant sort, anyway) would be very annoyed at me for being aware (and pointing out publicly) that evolution has nothing whatsoever to say about either the creation of the universe or the origin of sentience (intelligence + emotional capacity).  Neither does physics.  This isn't a flaw in either field of study; it's simply a fact.  The scientific method and all of the sciences are epistemological, meaning that they are based on observation.  There are things we human beings have not observed and cannot, even in theory, observe, and about those things science can say nothing. 

The ultimate creation of the Universe is definitely one of those things.  I would also put the source of sentience (intelligence + emotional capacity) in that category.  And the soul, of course, but no science has any way of identifying that, let alone determining Who made it.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 09:34:29 PM »

Those who don't believe in the Creator, do so because they see any hint of design as an illusion, and so they must explain "all" things in a purely materialist/naturalistic manor.

You can see this in the debate Wilberforce had with what's his name in the late 19th century.

If you made a watch, the naturalist would have to explain the existence of your creation by pure chance, and time.

So the issue is really nothing more than having an alternative "explaination" for something......even if it's not true. For truth doesn't matter, what matters is......is your "alternative" explaination reasonable.....conceivable or believable.

That's what it really comes down to. But they won't allow us to give a rejoinder to their rejoinder........and so........the atheistic/extreme secular world we live in today.

ICXC NIK
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:36:29 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 09:45:03 PM »

Sorry for a small off-top… Your post has reminded me...

I did not seriously study  the astronomy, but when I began study biological sciences at a university, I clear realized, that the world had been created.
We more or less know how living organisms work. But how they have appeared?..
Tremendous reasonability of life does not enable to doubt about Creation.

That's because we(the western atheistic/secular world) brainwash ourselves to not see what we are seeing, and to not believe what our gut is telling us.

We brainwash ourselves to only see chaos, and design as an illusion.......meanwhile high powered radio antennas are looking for signs of "intelligent" life, yet those very same principles are outlawed when it comes to this issue.

For when it comes to this issue, we have to brainwash ourselves to not see clearly what we are seeing.

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 09:45:03 PM »

Most atheists (of the militant sort, anyway) would be very annoyed at me for being aware (and pointing out publicly) that evolution has nothing whatsoever to say about either the creation of the universe

Why would they be annoyed at you for pointing out the obvious: that the theory of evolution has nothing to say about the beginning of the universe? The theory of evolution doesn't even attempt to explain how life began here on earth.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 09:54:51 PM »

Most atheists (of the militant sort, anyway) would be very annoyed at me for being aware (and pointing out publicly) that evolution has nothing whatsoever to say about either the creation of the universe

Why would they be annoyed at you for pointing out the obvious: that the theory of evolution has nothing to say about the beginning of the universe? The theory of evolution doesn't even attempt to explain how life began here on earth.

The idea of "slow" change over time is used in cosmology, infact, it was first used in Geology, long before it was used in Biology.

The idea of "slow"/evolution change permeates modern science.........it's all over the place, in alot of different fields.....including politics.

To be honest, I believe in "fast"/revolution change........thus, I'm a catastrophist.

ICXC NIKA

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »

The idea of "slow" change over time is used in cosmology, infact, it was first used in Geology, long before it was used in Biology.

The idea of "slow"/evolution change permeates modern science.........it's all over the place, in alot of different fields.....including politics.

To be honest, I believe in "fast"/revolution change........thus, I'm a catastrophist.

ICXC NIKA
We know the speed of light to be about 186,000 miles per second.

We know that cosmic distances are so great that the light of many stars must travel sometimes up to thousands or millions of years, even at a speed that Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity tells us is the universe's absolute speed limit, just to reach us.

We know the specific light signatures of hydrogen and helium, the two elements most prevalent in stars.

We are aware of the phenomenon of red shift and how to use this to see how far away another cosmic light-emitting object is from us.

What catastrophe happened 7000 years ago to create a gamma ray burst that appears to be so far away that it would take 13 billion years for its light to reach us?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:04:00 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 03:49:53 PM »

I'm curious, has anyone calculated how long it takes an average thread posted on a scientific discovery to degrade to yet another evolution vs. creationism debate? So many great ways this thread could have developed, discussions of astrophysics, of the nature of light, of relativity, of modern telescopes and related technology...but nope, we get evolution vs. creation debate number 2301.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »

Something I do find truly fascinating is that we actually have no idea what the majority of the universe looks like right now.  Instead, we're looking now at the equivalent of space cave-drawings and, instead, left to wonder what things look like at the present moment (something we wouldn't be capable of doing, at our present level of sophistication, for another few billion years).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »

Something I do find truly fascinating is that we actually have no idea what the majority of the universe looks like right now.  Instead, we're looking now at the equivalent of space cave-drawings and, instead, left to wonder what things look like at the present moment (something we wouldn't be capable of doing, at our present level of sophistication, for another few billion years).

And to add to that, no time or very very little time has actually passed for those photons traveling mostly at the speed of light (in fact the ones that made it here probably moved at the speed of light the entire time) through space for what seems from our perspective to be 13 billion years, they're still in the original state they were in immediately after the explosion. 13 billion years passed literally instantaneously and they moved 13 billion light-years, until slowed down by the telescope that observed them. Physics can be a truly fascinating subject.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »

And to add to that, no time or very very little time has actually passed for those photons traveling mostly at the speed of light (in fact the ones that made it here probably moved at the speed of light the entire time) through space for what seems from our perspective to be 13 billion years, they're still in the original state they were in immediately after the explosion. 13 billion years passed literally instantaneously and they moved 13 billion light-years, until slowed down by the telescope that observed them. Physics can be a truly fascinating subject.

Absolutely.  Of course, I don't know if I'd have it any other way - for all we know, the parts of the universe that appear to us as beautiful, active, and colorful may at the present moment be nothing more than large clouds of dust with no stars or planets; or, maybe one enormous black hole... Of course, we probably wouldn't figure out it was the latter until it's too late Wink
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:15:56 PM by Fr. George » Logged

---------------------
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 05:57:56 PM »

I'm curious, has anyone calculated how long it takes an average thread posted on a scientific discovery to degrade to yet another evolution vs. creationism debate? So many great ways this thread could have developed, discussions of astrophysics, of the nature of light, of relativity, of modern telescopes and related technology...but nope, we get evolution vs. creation debate number 2301.
Technically, since we're not talking about the origins of human life but, rather, about the origins of the universe and of this gamma ray burst, we're really debating the Big Bang vs. creationism. Wink  Even so, I see your point.  Someone brings up a spectacular astronomical discovery, and some would rather use the thread as an opportunity to advance their creationist theories.  Kinda frustrating, actually.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »

Technically, since we're not talking about the origins of human life but, rather, about the origins of the universe and of this gamma ray burst, we're really debating the Big Bang vs. creationism. Wink  Even so, I see your point.  Someone brings up a spectacular astronomical discovery, and some would rather use the thread as an opportunity to advance their creationist theories.  Kinda frustrating, actually.

I thought I saw something about cells in there, but maybe I was just seeing things. Wink It's not that there's anything wrong with the debate (well, I view it as closed, so it gets a bit tedious, but still if someone wants to discuss it...fine by me), but when we have like 8 active threads and a handful of old 'super-threads' on the issue, do we really need another?

Aspartam

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church, Moscow Patriarchate

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 02:56:58 AM »

Thanks for warm welcome. Smiley I am not sure, that I would be an active member of forum society; I am not “a man of Internet”, but there are some interesting threads on forum board; so I have dropped in.
Someone brings up a spectacular astronomical discovery, and some would rather use the thread as an opportunity to advance their creationist theories.
I am sorry, comrades. Really, I was just surfing forum. That was impulsive reflection only, no propaganda Smiley Smiley
...But I am a creationist...  Wink Grin laugh

Forgive me for my broken English.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 03:58:16 AM »

Someone brings up a spectacular astronomical discovery, and some would rather use the thread as an opportunity to advance their creationist theories.
I am sorry, comrades. Really, I was just surfing forum. That was impulsive reflection only, no propaganda Smiley Smiley
You mentioned your belief in creation, but it's someone else I see using this thread to preach his creationist theories. Wink
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »

I'm not sure how some one can discuss a beautiful event in this amazing universe on Christian forum with expecting to hear about the Creator of the universe and how such beauty is evidence for Creation.
If some one does not want to hear about God on a Christian forum then that person is in the wrong place. 

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 11:34:15 AM »

Thanks for warm welcome. Smiley I am not sure, that I would be an active member of forum society; I am not “a man of Internet”, but there are some interesting threads on forum board; so I have dropped in.

Don't worry bro, yours wasn't the offending post that caused me to respond. It's the rehashing of the same arguments currently being hashed out on about 5 different threads by another poster that caused me to roll my eyes.

A warm welcome to the forum from the resident atheist. Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »

I'm not sure how some one can discuss a beautiful event in this amazing universe on Christian forum with expecting to hear about the Creator of the universe and how such beauty is evidence for Creation.
If some one does not want to hear about God on a Christian forum then that person is in the wrong place. 

It happens in science classes all the time...yet another reason why every academic degree, even those in the Liberal Arts, should require a strong emphasis on Theoretical Mathematics, Modern Physics, and Modern Biology; whether or not someone's interested in them understanding the subjects themselves, the methodologies of Mathematics and the Sciences are an essential element of education. If you want to study history or philosophy, great, they're good subjects and ones I quite enjoy, but one should also at least be capable of intelligently discussing relativistic and quantum mechanics even if they choose not to pursue them professionally.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »

It happens in science classes all the time...yet another reason why every academic degree, even those in the Liberal Arts, should require a strong emphasis on Theoretical Mathematics, Modern Physics, and Modern Biology; whether or not someone's interested in them understanding the subjects themselves, the methodologies of Mathematics and the Sciences are an essential element of education. If you want to study history or philosophy, great, they're good subjects and ones I quite enjoy, but one should also at least be capable of intelligently discussing relativistic and quantum mechanics even if they choose not to pursue them professionally.
I don't disagree with you. So what is your point?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »

If you're addressing something I said, please note that I am not complaining about us seeing in this astronomical event evidence for Creation.  I'm complaining about one person using this thread to advance his arguments for a particularly anti-scientific theory known specifically as Creationism.  There is a big difference between glorifying the Creator and preaching the pseudo-science of Creationism as something opposed to the Big Bang theory (which, IMO, actually bears witness to our Judeo-Christian belief that God created everything out of nothing).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: