OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:06:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 112834 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1845 on: July 22, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »

Monsters come out of the sea, humanity uses giant robots to fight them.

Wow, like Sharknado, only instead of having someone whose acting is robotic (Reid), they have actual robots? Interesting!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:15:14 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1846 on: July 22, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »

Missed the first half of Skyfall again. Guess I'll have to make time to watch the recording.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1847 on: July 22, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »

Wow, like Sharknado, only instead of having someone whose acting is robotic (Reid), they have actual robots? Interesting!
The cast for this one actually looks pretty solid: Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Robert Kazinsky, Max Martini, and Ron Perlman

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1848 on: July 23, 2013, 07:51:09 AM »

National Lampoon's European Vacation

I think I have this on DVD, so I'm not sure why I'm watching a censored, commercial-interrupted version on TV. *shrugs*

So they censored out "tits," but let "b*tch" slide, and multiple mentions of a guy "porking" his newlywed wife were also ok.  Huh Cool

Interesting.

Usually, if I notice inconsistency in censoring, it's letting blasphemy slide but bleeping out every last obscenity.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1849 on: July 26, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

They Call It Myanmar: Lifting The Curtain

Watched on Netflix. Reading a bit on the net, you find that there are some factual errors in the film. There is also a tendency towards exaggeration, which seemed especially noticeable when you compare the last ten minutes with the rest of the film. This is a docudrama, just like any other documentary is docudrama. While not scripted reality, certainly it is well-edited and polished story telling. Having said that, this movie has a 100% rating (based on 13 reviews) at Rotten Tomatoes. And there's a good reason for that.

It's profoundly beautiful, and profoundly sad.

How much of that beauty and sadness exactly mirrors reality I don't know for sure. But if taken not as an attempt at objective history, or a dispassionate anthropological report, but rather as a sympathetic portrait of a people, it succeeds in almost every way. I knew that there was exaggeration and inconsistency, and frankly I didn't care. It is authentic and honest enough. This is a story of a people who seem mostly content, despite having a horrible "quality of life" according to most measurements. It makes you wonder who really is worse off. They have nothing and seem content; yet I have a comparably absurd amount of luxury and am filled with anxiety and ingratitude. I'm not saying I want to live that life... I wouldn't last a week walking in their shoes--or at least the shoes of the poorer people. I just don't know whether it's more proper for me to feel bad for them or them to feel bad for me.

Anyway, I definitely recommend it. If you take the time to watch all those summer Hollywood movies, but skip this, then shame on you for six weeks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:47:45 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #1850 on: July 27, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai is flipping brilliant. It's off Netflix in a few days, so catch it if you haven't yet.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1851 on: July 27, 2013, 09:20:57 PM »

Despicable Me.

I'm surprised I enjoyed it.  I thought the minions were hilarious.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1852 on: July 28, 2013, 04:19:26 AM »

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai is flipping brilliant. It's off Netflix in a few days, so catch it if you haven't yet.

Indeed. Great movie. Jim Jarmusch is the man.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1853 on: July 28, 2013, 05:43:46 AM »

Despicable Me.

They are! I can't wait for DM2 to come out on Sky.

I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine again last night. Too bad I couldn't record it; my son would love it. The fight with Deadpool is everything a cartoon hero fight should be.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1854 on: July 28, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »

Despicable Me.

I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine again last night. Too bad I couldn't record it; my son would love it. The fight with Deadpool is everything a cartoon hero fight should be.

I was hopeful that there would be more origin stories coming out like for Gambit or Colossus, but I guess that's not happening as long as the Hugh Jackman gravy train is running full steam.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1855 on: July 28, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »

Despicable Me.

I was hopeful that there would be more origin stories coming out like for Gambit or Colossus, but I guess that's not happening as long as the Hugh Jackman gravy train is running full steam.

Gambit may still get his chance, now that Taylor Kitsch is actually noticed. Wink I want Jean Grey, myself.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1856 on: July 28, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »

The last movie I went to see was "Pacific Rim." Light fun, but exciting, if you like monster movies with lots of comic beat-em-up stuff. Perfect for teens who are into anime. I love monster movies, so it was all right.

I want to see "The Conjuring." Right now I can't get anyone to go with me. Harrumph.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1857 on: July 30, 2013, 04:04:20 AM »

I want to see "The Conjuring." Right now I can't get anyone to go with me. Harrumph.

My wife and I went to see The Conjuring last night. I liked it. Scary stuff. But the movie was good because it focused more on plot and character development than on "gotcha" moments - although there were plenty of "gotcha" setups throughout the film. It is definitely one of the better made movies in the horror genre. Nowhere nearly as good as The Exorcist, and not quite as good as The Exorcism of Emily Rose. But like both of those movies, this one was also based on a true story. Always makes it much scarier when it's modeled after actual events. Also, the movie has a good message about the reality of evil, the reality of the supernatural realm, and the importance of free will. The movie was a little slow and monotonous at times, and a little too exaggerated at other times. But I think it's worth seeing.

Selam
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:04:44 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1858 on: August 05, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »

Luther

This show is quite intense - surprised to find something on Netflix I can still get "sucked" into.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1859 on: August 06, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »

The Full Monty was on last night. I hadn't seen it in several years and it struck me, once again, how much the publicity hinged on the whole stripping element, when it first came out, and how much it actually isn't about stripping.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1860 on: August 06, 2013, 09:17:19 PM »

My children finally made me watch The Avengers. Mercifully, they agreed to stop it half way through, but we have to finish it tonight. It is tortuous.

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1861 on: August 07, 2013, 01:37:38 AM »

My children finally made me watch The Avengers. Mercifully, they agreed to stop it half way through, but we have to finish it tonight. It is tortuous.

Selam
What was tortuous about it?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1862 on: August 11, 2013, 01:00:19 AM »

Saving God...what a great movie...a person can always change...I suggest it to all Christians regardless of a denomination...
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1863 on: August 11, 2013, 07:18:40 AM »

Selam

He probably meant 'torturous'. Which is not the case either. I found it great fun, and not just for the overdose of man eye candy. Black Widow's interrogation scene at the beginning was a hoot.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1864 on: August 11, 2013, 07:26:30 AM »

Happy Feet...babysitting. Grin
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1865 on: August 11, 2013, 08:13:37 AM »

Selam

He probably meant 'torturous'. Which is not the case either. I found it great fun, and not just for the overdose of man eye candy. Black Widow's interrogation scene at the beginning was a hoot.

Yes, you're right! Thank you for the correction. "Tortuous" it was not, "Torturous" it was, IMO.

For those who like non stop action flicks, I'm sure it was great. I tend to like a little bit of build up, some character development, an intriguing plot. This was nothing but explosions, violence, and loud "effect" music for two and a half hours straight. I can't stand that sort of thing. But that's just me. I guess if you like "action" flicks, you can't get much more action than this.

Selam

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1866 on: August 11, 2013, 01:47:37 PM »

Saw 'Elysium' last night. Wow.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1867 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:40 PM »

The trailer was on TV not five minutes ago. It definitely looks intriguing. Is it a 'paradise gone horribly wrong' thing?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1868 on: August 11, 2013, 02:16:26 PM »

The trailer was on TV not five minutes ago. It definitely looks intriguing. Is it a 'paradise gone horribly wrong' thing?

Yep. Smiley

Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1869 on: August 11, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »

If it is cloudy this evening, I will try seeing it.  If it clears up, I will try seeing the Perseid meteor shower.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1870 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »

Yep. Smiley

Yes, very good.  Has a lot in common with District 9.  The actor who played Wikus van der Merwe in D9 was the merc in this one.  The old merc from the last one played one of the sub mercs.  He is very good in that role.  Lots of social commentary, some of it not very obvious (even after seeing the movie) and unexpected.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1871 on: August 16, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Not as crap as it seemed early on, but I was still disappointed. Roll on, Queen Victoria: Demon Slayer!

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1872 on: August 20, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »

Saw Event Horizon last night.  I was expecting something else, but pleased all the same.
hopeful-christian

Faith: Very new to Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1873 on: August 20, 2013, 10:17:06 AM »

The cast for this one actually looks pretty solid: Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Robert Kazinsky, Max Martini, and Ron Perlman
It's also directed by Del Toro (same guy who did Pan's Labyrinth). Think of it as "this is what it would be like if they did Godzilla vs. Transformers, and had it directed by someone who cares about consistency of plot from one scene to the next."

Read: Awesome

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the chance to see Nic Winding Refn's Only God Forgives. His movies are generally pretty violent, but the violence isn't really glorified so much as presented as the cold, hard reality it sometimes is (anyone who remembers the elevator scene in Drive can attest to this).
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1874 on: August 20, 2013, 10:18:16 AM »

Frankenweenie was great, but then I have yet to be disappointed by anything Tim Burton has meddled with.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1875 on: August 20, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »

Currently listening to Spaceballs, in honor of a certain someone on the forum ...  angel
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #1876 on: August 24, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »

My RA is showing Sharknado in the common room soon.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1877 on: August 24, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »

I used to have a thing for Tara Reid.  Cool

Lately I've been on a Beetlejuice kick... every night before I go to bed I put it on, and set it to repeat. All Beetlejuice, all night.

I will also note that I was pleasantly surprised when I logged in to Netflix today, for the first time in a week or more, and realized that they had added some MST3K episodes. About time.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:25:28 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1878 on: August 30, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »

Just got home from seeing Lee Daniel's The Butler. I am aware that many details about the butler's life were fictionalized for the story. However, it was an interestingly told story from one man's perspective. That allowed a fair bit of editorializing that came across as sincere. A lot of stereotyping, but that was how I remember things myself from the late 50s and into the 60s. Everyone was labelled - and rarely fairly. Of course, there was also evidence of its being a precampaign advertisement for one particular political incumbent  Wink.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1879 on: August 30, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »

Just saw "Wolverine" tonight. It was really good! Today was the day the stupid One Direction movie came out, so when I was leaving the theater, I was almost run down by hordes of little kids going in to see it. It's also the holiday weekend here in the U.S., so that added to it. Oh well. Smiley

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1880 on: August 30, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »

Killing Season

It didn't have good reviews, but I really enjoyed the storyline.  It was one of those movies I like but not many other people seem to enjoy.

I also watched Solomon Kane.  It was まあまあ (Mā mā) or (so-so).  Could have been better.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1881 on: September 03, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »

Sneaky husband popped into the supermarket yesterday on the way home from work to pick up the dry-cleaning, and snapped up Star Trek: Into Darkness into the bargain.

I enjoyed it a lot, lukewarm Trekkie that I am. The extras disc was hilarious. Especially the bit with Leonard Nimoy and all the fanboys. Cheesy

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1882 on: September 03, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »

I also watched Solomon Kane.  It was まあまあ (Mā mā) or (so-so).  Could have been better.

Could have been better? It was ghastly. The question is, how much worse could it have been?

By the way, in Chinese they say "馬馬虎虎" (Mamahuhu) for so-so. Always neat to see the commonalities.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1883 on: September 03, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »

Solomon Kane should have been made 30 years ago and starred Clint Eastwood. That could have been a masterpiece.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1884 on: September 12, 2013, 07:33:33 PM »

Sword of the Stranger.

One of the best anime films I have ever seen. The only problem was that I couldn't understand what was going on, when they spoke chinese.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1885 on: September 14, 2013, 06:32:23 AM »

^--what have I been saying? People laughed at me when I suggested it. Fools!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1886 on: September 14, 2013, 06:35:55 AM »

My wife and I went to see The Conjuring last night. I liked it. Scary stuff. But the movie was good because it focused more on plot and character development than on "gotcha" moments - although there were plenty of "gotcha" setups throughout the film. It is definitely one of the better made movies in the horror genre. Nowhere nearly as good as The Exorcist, and not quite as good as The Exorcism of Emily Rose. But like both of those movies, this one was also based on a true story. Always makes it much scarier when it's modeled after actual events. Also, the movie has a good message about the reality of evil, the reality of the supernatural realm, and the importance of free will. The movie was a little slow and monotonous at times, and a little too exaggerated at other times. But I think it's worth seeing.

Selam

Did I PM you a rec for this? I meant to. I know you have a weakness for this stuff and this was great. Yes, it is pretty much a series of homages to all great suspense horror films, but what else are you going to do? Sticking it in the 70s made it more believable. Just wouldn't work the same if they set it in 2011.

Awesome. I spent most of the time cursing to myself under my breath about the stupidity of what everyone was doing as if I could change anything.

Perfect.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1887 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48:56 AM »

I was on the Act Up bus on the way to some anti-IMF protest in DC when they put this on the bus TV. It's a beautiful movie.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1888 on: September 15, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »

I was on the Act Up bus on the way to some anti-IMF protest in DC when they put this on the bus TV. It's a beautiful movie.

I saw a good part of it once. I really liked it.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1889 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:59 PM »

Selam

Did I PM you a rec for this? I meant to. I know you have a weakness for this stuff and this was great. Yes, it is pretty much a series of homages to all great suspense horror films, but what else are you going to do? Sticking it in the 70s made it more believable. Just wouldn't work the same if they set it in 2011.

Awesome. I spent most of the time cursing to myself under my breath about the stupidity of what everyone was doing as if I could change anything.

Perfect.

Yeah, I'm reading "The Demonologist" right now, about Ed and Loraine Warren.

Selam

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: