OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 05:53:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 127746 times) Average Rating: 0
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #1665 on: April 06, 2013, 05:25:18 AM »

Just watched Quo Vadis with the family. Great movie!

Selam

Back in Greece, it wasn't Holy Week without Quo Vadis and The Robe. Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1666 on: April 14, 2013, 09:19:52 AM »

Just watched Brave with the little man, after hunting it down all over Sky Disney for most of the week. A fun romp it was, and I understand why it won the Oscar over the kiddie scares. Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1667 on: April 14, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »

I watched Parental Guidance yesterday.  It has been some time since I laughed loud enough to get the attention of people around me.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1668 on: April 14, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »

I watched Parental Guidance yesterday.  It has been some time since I laughed loud enough to get the attention of people around me.

Is that the show where parents pick out dates for their kids or something?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1669 on: April 14, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »

It's a movie with Billy Crystal about grandparents spending time with their grand kids.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1670 on: April 14, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »

That sounds funny as hell, what's the show called?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1671 on: April 14, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »

Watched some of Part II of Jesus of Nazareth, about nine days ago. Since then, I have not watched any movies at all.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Dan the Man

Faith: Yes please
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church in the USA

« Reply #1672 on: April 14, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »

Last night I watched "Unforgiven" starring Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, etc. As an Eastwood fan, I was not impressed.

Do not gloat over me, my enemy!
    Though I have fallen, I will rise.
Though I sit in darkness,
    the Lord will be my light.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1673 on: April 14, 2013, 08:39:53 PM »

Wait, seriously? That movie is awesome.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1674 on: April 14, 2013, 09:22:28 PM »

I liked it too. I'm not much on Westerns, but I thought that was a good one.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1675 on: April 14, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »

I'm gonna go see 42 sometime this week, even though I'm sure I'll be disappointed.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1676 on: April 14, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »

Last night I watched "Unforgiven" starring Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, etc. As an Eastwood fan, I was not impressed.
Great movie!
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1677 on: April 15, 2013, 01:43:55 AM »

I watched the man who knew too much, yesterday. Thought it was pretty good, though I like North by Northwest better. I really wish they would show Hitchcock movies more often.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Dan the Man

« Reply #1678 on: April 15, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »

I really didn't like it. There was plenty of basis for an emotional connection with Eastwood's character, especially with the whole back-story involving his wife and kids, but they never really got around to elaborating on it. The whole thing just seemed really shallow to me. I guess I could've missed a few details because it was the 'censored for TV' version, but I really wasn't impressed.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1679 on: April 15, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »

It's a movie with Billy Crystal about grandparents spending time with their grand kids.

Is yiddish for absolutely not funny.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1680 on: April 15, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »

Been looking at a little Paul Thomas Anderson, sorry PtA, he is the only PTA I'll ever love, while looking at some Altman and thinking about Kubrick, the two directors who he seems to have completely appropriated and whose work he has brought in a more contemporary idiom.

Watched the film which Altman nearly died making and had PTA signed to be his replacement lest he die before its finish for the 23rd time. (Sorry Ms. Meter, you'll never break me of this.)

Great stuff.

Getting ready to take a look at The Master.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1681 on: April 15, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »

Will Ferrel is the most unfunniest "comedian" of all time.

My hatred knows no bounds

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1682 on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »

I really didn't like it. There was plenty of basis for an emotional connection with Eastwood's character, especially with the whole back-story involving his wife and kids, but they never really got around to elaborating on it. The whole thing just seemed really shallow to me. I guess I could've missed a few details because it was the 'censored for TV' version, but I really wasn't impressed.
First off, the TV edit is gonna be crap. There's a ton of cussing in the film, and attempting to purge that has got to seriously screw up the flow. But I would say there's a fair bit of thematic depth to the film. It's taking a very serious look at the sort of cool anti-heroes Eastwood was famous for playing. You see them in old age, bearing the burden of that life, pitying the youth who will follow in their footsteps. Eastwood and Freeman act this brilliantly. It's certainly not as cool as some of Eastwood's other films, but it's not supposed to be. When you finally get the part where he shoots up the tavern, it's just kind of pathetic. And it looks gorgeous too.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1683 on: April 16, 2013, 03:44:48 AM »

Been looking at a little Paul Thomas Anderson, sorry PtA, he is the only PTA I'll ever love, while looking at some Altman and thinking about Kubrick, the two directors who he seems to have completely appropriated and whose work he has brought in a more contemporary idiom.

Watched the film which Altman nearly died making and had PTA signed to be his replacement lest he die before its finish for the 23rd time. (Sorry Ms. Meter, you'll never break me of this.)

Great stuff.

I'm interested to read your thoughts on The Master. I liked it a lot. Not great, but it definitely kept my interest. We'll get into it more after you watch it.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1684 on: April 16, 2013, 03:45:59 AM »

My problem with Will Ferrel is that he's way too over the top. He's funnier when he's more subtle, which is rare.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1685 on: April 16, 2013, 03:49:43 AM »

I watched about 3/4ths of the movie Drive starring Ryan Gosling. I was really digging the movie until it suddenly turned absurdly and gratuitously violent. There was enough suspense and tension throughout the film, and the violence could have been communicated much more effectively and powerfully if it hadn't been so over the top. I had to stop watching it. It was disappointing, because I was really enjoying it up to that point.

As for Ryan Gosling, the movie Half Nelson is terrific. A great film.

Selam
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:50:04 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1686 on: April 16, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »

My problem with Will Ferrel is that he's way too over the top. He's funnier when he's more subtle, which is rare.

Selam
And that's precisely the problem. There is no subtlety. He should do more roles like Stranger than Fiction.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1687 on: April 16, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »

Selam

He's a better cameo than a main actor.  The only reason Talladega Nights was remotely funny was because of Ali G.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1688 on: April 16, 2013, 11:44:35 AM »

First off, the TV edit is gonna be crap. There's a ton of cussing in the film, and attempting to purge that has got to seriously screw up the flow. But I would say there's a fair bit of thematic depth to the film. It's taking a very serious look at the sort of cool anti-heroes Eastwood was famous for playing. You see them in old age, bearing the burden of that life, pitying the youth who will follow in their footsteps. Eastwood and Freeman act this brilliantly. It's certainly not as cool as some of Eastwood's other films, but it's not supposed to be. When you finally get the part where he shoots up the tavern, it's just kind of pathetic. And it looks gorgeous too.

I agree with That Person, and don't think I could have put it any better than he did.  In my opinion, Unforgiven was Clint Eastwood letting his cowboy character die in the same way that I think Heartbreak Ridge and Gran Torino combined let his soldier character die.  (In Unforgiven he doesn't die, but you can kinda tell it's coming sooner rather than later.)  As a side note, is there a movie already out where the hard bitten cop dies/fades out?

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1689 on: April 16, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »

I'm gonna go see 42 sometime this week, even though I'm sure I'll be disappointed.

Selam

I started watching 42 but after a minute I noticed that it wasn't Jurassic Park.  The ticket jockey said it was on screen #13. The ticket was smudged so the 18 looked like 13.  The first thirty seconds or so were pretty good.

Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #1690 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »

As a side note, is there a movie already out where the hard bitten cop dies/fades out?

Well, he not exactly a cop, but John Russell from Hombre (1967) dies in the end.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1691 on: April 16, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »

As a side note, is there a movie already out where the hard bitten cop dies/fades out?

Well, he not exactly a cop, but John Russell from Hombre (1967) dies in the end.

Arnold Schwarzenegger in End of Days (1999)
Bruce Willis in Sin City (2005)
Denzel Washington in Fallen (1998), Man on Fire (2004) and Déjà Vu (2006)

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1692 on: April 16, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »

A&A, I was thinking more of a Clint Eastwood movie.  He was probably most famous as a cowboy in several films and I kind of see Unforgiven as a closure to this character.  Likewise, he was a soldier in a few as well, and I saw Heartbreak Ridge as an end to his "military" career, a last hurrah as it were, and Gran Torino was this same Clint Eastwood soldier in civilian life nearing the end of his days...and ultimately it ending in the course of the film.  I haven't seen all of his police movies other than Dirty Harry and the Dead Pool.  I was just wondering if this "manifestation" of Clint Eastwood has already seen it's suitably heroic demise or if there might be one more Dirty Harry-esque police officer to finish off that part of his career.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #1693 on: April 16, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »

A&A, I was thinking more of a Clint Eastwood movie.  He was probably most famous as a cowboy in several films and I kind of see Unforgiven as a closure to this character.  Likewise, he was a soldier in a few as well, and I saw Heartbreak Ridge as an end to his "military" career, a last hurrah as it were, and Gran Torino was this same Clint Eastwood soldier in civilian life nearing the end of his days...and ultimately it ending in the course of the film.  I haven't seen all of his police movies other than Dirty Harry and the Dead Pool.  I was just wondering if this "manifestation" of Clint Eastwood has already seen it's suitably heroic demise or if there might be one more Dirty Harry-esque police officer to finish off that part of his career.

I don't remember any movie where he dies, so you might be right.

-St Silouan the athonite
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1694 on: April 16, 2013, 03:22:26 PM »

Still Blades of Glory funniest movie I've seen in forever.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1695 on: April 16, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »

Selam

His spots on Conan when he would stay in character as Robert Gulay were hysterical.

Not a huge fan and I don't think he is a "comedian" as Achronos said, but a comedic actor and sketch player.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1696 on: April 16, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »

Great stuff.

I'm interested to read your thoughts on The Master. I liked it a lot. Not great, but it definitely kept my interest. We'll get into it more after you watch it.

Selam

I kept threatening to see it in the theater but never got around to it.

And it will probably be a bit till I get to it, I don't know. I've tried to stay away from nearly anything written about it, so we'll see. I've yet to have seen a PTA film I don't think is great.

I have a buncha screeners I got from a buddy who gets such stuff, so if there were any other decent films up for nomination for an Oscar, anyone let me know.

Lincoln is sitting in the house as well. I don't think I can stomach Spielberg however.

Zero Dark Thirty is easily a missable movie. Over-hyped nonsense.

Give me Syriana (fantastic film) or even Homeland (fun TV series) any day over that torture pr0n.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:40:33 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1697 on: April 16, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »

A&A, I was thinking more of a Clint Eastwood movie.  He was probably most famous as a cowboy in several films and I kind of see Unforgiven as a closure to this character.  Likewise, he was a soldier in a few as well, and I saw Heartbreak Ridge as an end to his "military" career, a last hurrah as it were, and Gran Torino was this same Clint Eastwood soldier in civilian life nearing the end of his days...and ultimately it ending in the course of the film.  I haven't seen all of his police movies other than Dirty Harry and the Dead Pool.  I was just wondering if this "manifestation" of Clint Eastwood has already seen it's suitably heroic demise or if there might be one more Dirty Harry-esque police officer to finish off that part of his career.

Blood Work or In the Line of Fire?  Not where he dies, but in Blood Work, the bad guy killed someone for a transplant so Eastwoods character could live.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:54:43 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Dan the Man

« Reply #1698 on: April 16, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »

I agree with That Person, and don't think I could have put it any better than he did.  In my opinion, Unforgiven was Clint Eastwood letting his cowboy character die in the same way that I think Heartbreak Ridge and Gran Torino combined let his soldier character die.  (In Unforgiven he doesn't die, but you can kinda tell it's coming sooner rather than later.)  As a side note, is there a movie already out where the hard bitten cop dies/fades out?
Alright, well, I guess I'll take your word for it. I'll have to get the non-TV version some time and give it another try.

pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #1699 on: April 16, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »

It's been a long time since I've seen Almost Famous, still a classic...

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1700 on: April 17, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »

Watched the Iron Lady and it was interesting to see it's not just a political biography, although it does portray the key moments of Thatcher's career.

Looking forward for Pacific Rim for some nice just popcorn 'n' fun movie. And really rooting for Man of Steel to be good enough to justify a Justice League movie.

Go ma minions of modesty!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1701 on: April 17, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »

"Unforgiven" is a really good movie if you like the genre

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #1702 on: April 17, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »

Selam

I started watching 42 but after a minute I noticed that it wasn't Jurassic Park.  The ticket jockey said it was on screen #13. The ticket was smudged so the 18 looked like 13.  The first thirty seconds or so were pretty good.

I quite enjoyed the movie 42. It was well made, and I liked the casting choices, mainly because they were some people I liked.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1703 on: April 17, 2013, 05:59:03 PM »

Is yiddish for absolutely not funny.

Gotta eat crow, I realized that some of earliest memories of age three or four were of Soap. Best stuff Billy ever did.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1704 on: April 18, 2013, 02:45:58 AM »

Saw 42 last night. It was pretty much just what I expected. Entertaining enough, but the film hardly measured up to the story it sought to tell. Too many clichés and exaggerations. Good is not well served when evil is made into a caricature. Spike Lee certainly wasn't behind this one. And as idiotic as Spike Lee can be, he is a genius when it comes to directing movies. But like I said, it was entertaining and worth watching.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1705 on: April 18, 2013, 02:47:49 AM »

Yeah, that was funny stuff!

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1706 on: April 22, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »

Ulee's Gold with Peter Fonda.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1707 on: April 22, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »

Wizard of OZ is on right now while I am posting...........Never gets old.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1708 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »

You're dead to me...

Zero Dark Thirty is easily a missable movie. Over-hyped nonsense.

...and now you are resurrected.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:13:19 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1709 on: April 22, 2013, 09:19:42 PM »

So maybe one day I will get around to seeing Life of Pi and Argo.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: