OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:35:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 103725 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Protestant, for now...

« Reply #1305 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34:59 AM »

I couldn't get into "Triplets"... I found it unbearably dreary, almost soulless. I enjoyed "Illusionist" more but at the end I felt the same way.
Really? I felt the opposite. Chomet obviously has a dark sense of humor and a bit of a satirical bite towards American culture, but I really felt Madame Souza's love for Champion and Bruno as well as her indomitable nature. She reminds me of my late grandma Smiley

The Triplets were delightfully kind old eccentrics when it would have been easy to make them bitter has-beens.

I'm not posting on oc.net for the time being. Thank you to everyone for your support!
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #1306 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »

Unbreakable with Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson. Savior with Dennis Quaid.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1307 on: July 12, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »

Animat's Top Ten Worst Live-Action Movies Based on Cartoons. Part 2 begins automatically ten seconds after Part 1 ends.

http://blip.tv/animation-lookback/top-10-worst-films-based-on-a-cartoon-1-2-6250012

I'm not posting on oc.net for the time being. Thank you to everyone for your support!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1308 on: July 12, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »

"The Illusionist" was good. So was "The Prestige".

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1309 on: July 12, 2012, 03:03:23 PM »

Different movie, same title.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1310 on: July 12, 2012, 04:31:49 PM »

Ah, I was thinking of The Illusionist (2006), but I see now there's also The Illusionist (2010).

brandb

« Reply #1311 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »

"The Illusionist" was good. So was "The Prestige".

Ah, I was thinking of The Illusionist (2006), but I see now there's also The Illusionist (2010).

Did not care for the The Illusionist (2006). Nooo sir. But I did enjoy The Prestige.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #1312 on: July 21, 2012, 12:50:32 AM »

I saw Nolan's Batman trilogy last night. I was half asleep by TDKR, unfortunately. I may start a thread about Christian morality based on themes from The Dark Knight, though.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1313 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:42 AM »

My favorite films I'm trying to write down:

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Inception
3. I want to put Citizen Kane there but I know it might come off as me being a sheep who thinks its the greatest film ever.
4. Vertigo
5. Not sure yet on the rest.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
kiloelectronVolt

Faith: 12-Step Recovery
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #1314 on: July 21, 2012, 01:31:04 AM »

My favorite movie at the moment is FANTASTIC MR. FOX!  It's brilliant and I can't cussing get enough of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b5ykfRU4D8
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #1315 on: July 21, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »

Did not care for the The Illusionist (2006). Nooo sir. But I did enjoy The Prestige.

Same here.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #1316 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03:31 AM »

Currently watching Return of the Living Dead

Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1317 on: August 07, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »

I think I'm gonna watch me some Labyrinth tonight. Who's with me? Smiley

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:32:06 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1318 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »

My favorite films I'm trying to write down:

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Inception
3. I want to put Citizen Kane there but I know it might come off as me being a sheep who thinks its the greatest film ever.
4. Vertigo
5. Not sure yet on the rest.

Start over.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1319 on: August 07, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »

Start over with what?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1320 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »

Start over with what?

Remind me of the babe.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1321 on: August 07, 2012, 11:06:57 PM »

Start over with what?

Those cannot be your favorite films. I refuse to accept it. Especially, the first two. And I agree that Citizen Kane get a lot raving for what it is. But I could see why a visually literate person like yourself could appreciate it.

Most folks are just full of it when they list Citizen Kane. Historically important for reasons of narrative and technical innovation, not sure most people believe it is as important or good as they say it is.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1322 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »

Start over with what?

Those cannot be your favorite films. I refuse to accept it. Especially, the first two. And I agree that Citizen Kane get a lot raving for what it is. But I could see why a visually literate person like yourself could appreciate it.

Most folks are just full of it when they list Citizen Kane. Historically important for reasons of narrative and technical innovation, not sure most people believe it is as important or good as they say it is.

Nah Apocalypse Now is my all time favorite film. I'm bit of an affiociando about the film TBH.

And I own too much merchandise from CK, like the entire script for starters.

Vertigo rulz.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1323 on: August 07, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »

Start over with what?

Remind me of the babe.

Hoggle and Sarah just got to the bog of eternal stench.  Grin
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1324 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:06 PM »

Start over with what?

Nah Apocalypse Now is my all time favorite film. I'm bit of an affiociando about the film TBH.

One of my favorite movies too. But that's only because I haven't learned to know what I'm supposed to like and what I'm not supposed to like. I hope Orthonorm will keep teaching me. I also like Lentil soup, Alabama football, and reggae music. But that's only because I don't know better. I hope Orthonorm will be patient with me.  Wink

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1325 on: August 11, 2012, 02:08:35 AM »

Currently watching:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:09:06 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1326 on: August 19, 2012, 01:16:45 AM »

Back to one of my fondest childhood memories, especially since watching this movie was one of the last things my dad ever did with my brother and me before he died:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

(I understand that the original version of this movie, without any of Spielberg's later changes, is scheduled to be released on Blu-ray in October.)
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1327 on: August 19, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »

I should be asleep... but instead I'm surfing the interwebs and listening to the movie Sleepaway Camp 2...
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1328 on: August 23, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »

Movies I've watched in the last week or so:

Kung Pow: Enter the First
Labyrinth
Revenge of the Nerds
Pumping Iron
MST3K: The Touch of Satan
Sleepaway Camp 2
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1329 on: August 23, 2012, 10:33:24 PM »

Prince of Darkness by John Carpenter.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1330 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »

Back to one of my fondest childhood memories, especially since watching this movie was one of the last things my dad ever did with my brother and me before he died:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

(I understand that the original version of this movie, without any of Spielberg's later changes, is scheduled to be released on Blu-ray in October.)

Never gets old!

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1331 on: August 23, 2012, 11:20:34 PM »

Start over with what?

One of my favorite movies too. But that's only because I haven't learned to know what I'm supposed to like and what I'm not supposed to like. I hope Orthonorm will keep teaching me. I also like Lentil soup, Alabama football, and reggae music. But that's only because I don't know better. I hope Orthonorm will be patient with me.  Wink

Selam

I already dislike Alabama, but I don't think liking the Bengals or Buckeyes is much better is his eyes. We all have a ton to learn, and he's a fantastic teacher.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1332 on: August 26, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »

We watched "The Secret of Kells" last night.  Beautiful animation and a well told story with the creation/finishing of the Book of Kells as the center.  It is fiction, but it is a lovely tale.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1333 on: August 28, 2012, 03:21:42 AM »

Currently watching Beetlejuice...

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1334 on: August 31, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »

I just saw Beasts of the Southern Wild.  It was a great movie.  I highly recommend it.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
nichole.boz

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1335 on: September 01, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »

Watched "Doubt" last week....HIGHLY recommend.  Thought-provoking, originally a play, TONS of character development.  Loved it. 

In Christ,
Nichole

"1. The path is not straight. 2. Mistakes need not be fatal. 3. People are more important than achievements or possessions. 4. Be gentle with your parents. 5. Never stop doing what you care most about. 6. Learn to use a semicolon. 7. You will find love." ~Marion Winik
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1336 on: September 02, 2012, 05:23:46 AM »

Watched "Doubt" last week....HIGHLY recommend.  Thought-provoking, originally a play, TONS of character development.  Loved it. 

Good movie, despite the predictability (i.e. predictably "unpredictable") and the typical hamming from Meryl Streep. But definitely worth watching.

Selam

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1337 on: September 02, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »

Just saw Celeste and Jesse Forever.  It was an OK movie.  Some slow parts and some cringe worthy moments.  Oh, and depressing as hell.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:52:04 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1338 on: September 04, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »

Prince of Darkness last night. Greatest B-movie horror ever. Love the dream sequence.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1339 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:27 PM »

Watched a couple of Korean war films - My Way and Tae Guk Gi.  Both are excellent.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1340 on: September 05, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »

I saw Tae Guk Gi a few years back and thought it began alright but descended into cliche, melodrama, and general silliness toward the ends. The music was horribly generic sentimental war movie filler.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1341 on: September 05, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »

Anybody seen City of God?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1342 on: September 05, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »

Yeah, a while ago. Loved it. It's brutal though.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1343 on: September 06, 2012, 06:43:04 PM »

Yeah, a while ago. Loved it. It's brutal though.
Ok great, I'll need to stream it if I can.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1344 on: September 06, 2012, 10:32:29 PM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1345 on: September 07, 2012, 12:13:58 AM »

"Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days"

Took my children to see this one. I was cracking up. Goofy, good stuff! Smiley

Selam

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1346 on: September 07, 2012, 12:18:01 AM »

I saw Tae Guk Gi a few years back and thought it began alright but descended into cliche, melodrama, and general silliness toward the ends. The music was horribly generic sentimental war movie filler.

Agreed to a degree.  I still liked it in spite of the melodrama, perhaps because of it to some extent.  Better than any war film we've put out since Black Hawk Down.  Perhaps Letters From Iwo Jima.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1347 on: September 07, 2012, 12:22:42 AM »

A great war movie I recently saw was City of Life and Death (or Nanjing! Nanjing!) which is about the Rape of Nanjing.

It offers a great, nuanced panorama of the horrors. The Chinese director also made a bold move in humanizing the Japanese soldiers (it's done really well and without sentimentality) which apparently got him death threats from some of his countrymen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:23:18 AM by Iconodule » Logged

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1348 on: September 07, 2012, 02:18:38 AM »

So good...

Howl's Moving Castle - ハウルの動く城

Forgive my sins.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1349 on: September 07, 2012, 03:19:37 PM »

A great war movie I recently saw was City of Life and Death (or Nanjing! Nanjing!) which is about the Rape of Nanjing.

It offers a great, nuanced panorama of the horrors. The Chinese director also made a bold move in humanizing the Japanese soldiers (it's done really well and without sentimentality) which apparently got him death threats from some of his countrymen.

I might have to see that.  Thanks.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: