OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 112131 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1170 on: April 07, 2012, 08:53:29 AM »

Im going to convince the wife unit to let me watch the extended directors cut (5 hours) of Dune Smiley

PP

It's not really a "director's cut" since Lynch is pretty ashamed of the film in general. (I think it's a masterpiece)

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #1171 on: April 08, 2012, 02:35:35 AM »

Just finished watching Russian Ark by Alexander Sokurov.

Incredible movie, quite a directing feat (all done on one, 96 minute take, with a cast of thousands + three orchestras).

Good review of the movie here:
 http://henrysheehan.com/reviews/pqr/russian-ark.html

I struggle with things Russian, so I missed a lot of the connections mentioned in the above review,  but I thought I saw a strong nod to Goethe's Faust in the movie.

Well worth watching.

"Who touches, is also touched"
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1172 on: April 08, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »

Russian Ark is impressive in many ways, but its setting (Tsar Peter's Hermitage) imposes a severe limitation- we mostly see the heavily Westernized, largely aristocratic part of Russia. A lot of what distinguishes Russian culture is missing from the museum and therefore from the film. I would say the Hermitage, as big as it is, is not big enough to be the ark of Russian culture.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #1173 on: April 08, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »

Russian Ark is impressive in many ways, but its setting (Tsar Peter's Hermitage) imposes a severe limitation- we mostly see the heavily Westernized, largely aristocratic part of Russia. A lot of what distinguishes Russian culture is missing from the museum and therefore from the film. I would say the Hermitage, as big as it is, is not big enough to be the ark of Russian culture.

I think that was a major point in the movie, and that's where I see elements of Faust come into play.

The Narrator is Faust: a disembodied, lost spirit seeking transcendental answers, "Why Am I Here?" (also, place IS plot, in this movie!)

He encounters Mephistopholes - The European Marquis. They wander through the museum seeking 'Gretchen', Faust's Great Love, which in this case is the Soul of Russia, in the elements of culture preserved there.

The Marquis is everything Russia is not. He is Europe, and like Mephisto, he at first criticizes Her, then seeks to seduce her with jewels and luxury; then corrupt her (he is Roman Catholic, for example), and finally claim her soul. As she becomes more like him, the more he praises her, until finally proclaims, "No, I'm not leaving here"!

A critical point is when they find a small portrait of common people, and the Marquis jealously refers to them ad "Eternal People, who go on...". Another key moment is at the end, after the Grand Ball, as the Narrator exits, someone in the crowd asks, "Where is She? Oh, see, she is still here, nothing has happened to her", just before the Narrator opens the final door onto the great sea of the future.

Anyway, that's what I got out of it. Was fun to watch a movie that was actually produced as a work of art, rather than a simple telling of a tale.

"Who touches, is also touched"
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1174 on: April 08, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »

Outside of Gogol, all things Russian are but footnotes to things German.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:04:55 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1175 on: April 08, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »

Pink Floyd: The Wall

I think "interesting" would be the most correct adjective to descripe this. I rather liked it. I don't know how much I understood of it but I liked it's style and themes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:37:26 PM by Alpo » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1176 on: April 08, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »

Only if your Russian readings are restricted to 19th century novels and tales. Gogol didn't appear out of thin air.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1177 on: April 08, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »

Only if your Russian readings are restricted to 19th century novels and tales. Gogol didn't appear out of thin air.

Hey, at least he gave the Russians one thing to hang their hat on. Most cultures and/or nations across the world get complete disdain from him Wink

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1178 on: April 08, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »

He did actually.

The Russians are like the Japanese. Automata which consume . . . wait are we in the politics forum?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1179 on: April 08, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »

He did actually.

The Russians are like the Japanese. Automata which consume . . . wait are we in the politics forum?

If you really want to start making generalizations, at least read some of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Pantheon-Folklore-Library/dp/0394730909/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and this

http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Russias-Epics-Chronicles-Tales/dp/0452010861/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333936889&sr=1-1

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1180 on: April 08, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »

He did actually.

If you really want to start making generalizations, at least read some of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Pantheon-Folklore-Library/dp/0394730909/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and this

http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Russias-Epics-Chronicles-Tales/dp/0452010861/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333936889&sr=1-1

Yes, I will get right to that as soon as I take a toothbrush to the sidewalk outside.

* had the sense of it, I was just stirring the pot. However, like most pot stirring I am correct.

What people here gush about that is Russian or pretty much anywhere exists solely in light of the Russians attempting to come to terms with their cultural betters and benefactors, the German speaking people.

Or the Ancient Greeks, who were just trying to be Germans as well.

Seriously, I'll see what the resell value are on those recommendations. I spent the greater part of the day craigslisting, ebaying, amazoning my life away. Maybe I will pick those volumes up some time.

Thanks for the recs.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1181 on: April 15, 2012, 03:07:27 AM »

Identify the movie this is from:

Person 1: Burnt my fingers, man.
Person 2: I beg your pardon?
Person 1: Man, that watch is so hot, it's smokin'.
Person 2: Hot? Do you mean to imply stolen?
Person 1: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
Person 2: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
Person 1: You got a receipt?
Person 2: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
Person 1: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.
Person 2: Just give me the money.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1182 on: April 17, 2012, 12:22:20 AM »

Identify the movie this is from:

Person 1: Burnt my fingers, man.
Person 2: I beg your pardon?
Person 1: Man, that watch is so hot, it's smokin'.
Person 2: Hot? Do you mean to imply stolen?
Person 1: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
Person 2: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
Person 1: You got a receipt?
Person 2: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
Person 1: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.
Person 2: Just give me the money.

The first person to answer correctly gets a blue russian yen snail-mailed to their paypal address!

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1183 on: April 17, 2012, 06:53:02 AM »

Am I still qualified if I just Googled it?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1184 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:13 AM »

Am I still qualified if I just Googled it?

Since no one else seems interested... *deep sigh of disappoint* ...I suppose so. But your prize will be reduced to a red russian yen.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1185 on: April 17, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »

Time's up. None of the 741 PMs to me were correct. The answer was the movie Trading Places.  Smiley

Currently watching:

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #1186 on: April 17, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »

Going on a man date to see Titanic on Saturday. I also got Gettysburg in the Netflix queue but I haven't the slightest idea when I'll be able to afford to watch it with AP tests, finals and end-of-the-year projects coming up.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1187 on: April 17, 2012, 10:09:30 PM »

Time's up. None of the 741 PMs to me were correct. The answer was the movie Trading Places.  Smiley

Currently watching:

Twelve Angry Men?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1188 on: April 17, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »

Twelve Angry Men?

Yeah, great movie to watch, also a great movie to go to sleep to.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1189 on: April 17, 2012, 11:19:33 PM »

I don't understand how people can/could wear their pants that high?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1190 on: April 18, 2012, 12:03:48 AM »

I don't understand how people can/could wear their pants that high?

I do not see this Akimori. It looks to be at the belly button which is the Orthodox position. Am I missing something? I am reverting back to the bowtie if you want to complain about something.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1191 on: April 22, 2012, 11:40:43 PM »

Bigger, Stronger, Faster*

This movie often gets described as a docuwhatever about steroids, but it's actually about deeper issues that have taken root in American culture. Steroids in sports just happens to be a rather visible example of the larger issue being dealt with.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1192 on: April 22, 2012, 11:42:57 PM »

Alien - 2003 Director's Cut of one of the best horror films ever made
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:26:43 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1193 on: April 23, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »

+1

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1194 on: April 23, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »

+1
You think the characters would have fared better had they followed the lead of their cat, Jones? He seemed to know how to keep away from the alien.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1195 on: April 25, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »

You think the characters would have fared better had they followed the lead of their cat, Jones? He seemed to know how to keep away from the alien
It makes sense to me.....that and if you are in a spaceship and hear/see strange crap, dont try to find out whats up....RUN!

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1196 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »

Little Buddha
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:17:58 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1197 on: May 01, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »

Watching Supersize Me while eating a double quater pounder w/cheese from McDonalds. Usually that makes me feel better, but today it made me feel worse.  Huh

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1198 on: May 01, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »

A couple weeks ago,  I went to see "Lockout." This week, I saw "Chimpanzee."

Wonder what this week's movie pick is going to be.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1199 on: May 03, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »

Watching this one...

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #1200 on: May 03, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »

Tomorrow night at 7:00 PM I will be watching The Avengers. Yes, I am absolutely geeking out. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:31:00 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1201 on: May 06, 2012, 07:05:02 AM »

Tree of Life is one of the greatest films ever made.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1202 on: May 06, 2012, 07:07:42 AM »

It really is shocking when people rate Aliens over the original Alien. Ridley Scott was such an amazing visionary during his early career. The upcoming Prometheus seems to be in the same vein like his older films, but we will see.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1203 on: May 06, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »

There is your answer to the "problem of evil".

Great film.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1204 on: May 06, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »

Tomorrow night at 7:00 PM I will be watching The Avengers. Yes, I am absolutely geeking out. Smiley

You didn't go to a midnight showing? Weak.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1205 on: May 06, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »

I have been watching the new Muppet movie (again and again and again....). You can't tell that I have kids can you?! Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1206 on: May 17, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »

I finally watched Wrong Turn 3: Left For Dead last night.

I have owned the DVD for a year now, but never got around to watching it--or I guess I was putting it off. I thought Wrong Turn 2 was pretty good, thanks in large part to a heavy dose of Henry Rollins. Wrong Turn 1 was a snoozefest. So anyway, I bought #3 at Walmart for like $5, but when I got home and read a few reviews of it I got completely turned off to it, and decided not to watch it. Last night I was bored of watching Evil Dead 2 for the 1000th time (no exaggeration), so I popped it in.

It wasn't that bad. Not as bad as the reviews I've seen seen said it was, anyway. It was filmed in Bulgaria, which was certainly nicer looking than seeing California for the thousandth time in a movie (though I think the previous two movies in this franchise were in filmed in WV, where the story takes place). The main issue I had with the movie is that it tried to pull off too many plot twists. Every eight minutes they threw a curveball at you. It wasn't an overly complicated story/backstory, but it was just too wide reaching or disparate for it's own good. The best example of this problem was the ending, which I'm not going to spoil, but let's just say that it was way more complicated and swervy than it needed to be.

But for the most part I enjoyed the movie. It was a gory horror flick, and delivered what you'd expect from that type of movie. It had some interesting kills. It had some monsters. It had some gratuitous nudity. It had some bad acting (though only in spots, IMO). It had some stereotypical characters. It had a lot of plot twists. And so on. It was less campy than the 2nd Wrong Turn, but also less entertaining. The only other thing I can think of is: I was fairly frustrated that there was no audio commentary included (though there were at least a few short extras in which the director and others discuss the movie... sort of a poor man's excuse for a commentary).

My rating is 3 delicious eyeball snacks out of 5.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1207 on: May 17, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »

Great film.

Finally got my DVD. Can't wait to watch it. Have been looking forward to this one for a long time now. Sucks that it didn't come to the theatre here in Mississippi.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1208 on: May 18, 2012, 01:57:06 PM »

Great film.

Finally got my DVD. Can't wait to watch it. Have been looking forward to this one for a long time now. Sucks that it didn't come to the theatre here in Mississippi.

Selam

Not to ruin anything for you, but it is certainly a film that begs to be seen "huge".

Waiting to come across it on DVD somewhere, like on the street, thrown into my car, or something like that.

Would definitely like to see it again.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1209 on: May 19, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »

Alien3
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #1210 on: May 19, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »

Finally got around to seeing the film adaptation of Wise Blood. Definitely one of my new favorite movies. All I can really say is... Brad Dourif is Hazel Motes!

Also been watching some Miyazaki.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1211 on: May 19, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »

Finally got around to seeing the film adaptation of Wise Blood. Definitely one of my new favorite movies. All I can really say is... Brad Dourif is Hazel Motes!

Told you. Amazing stuff. Brad Dourif is incredible and has been for forever.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1212 on: May 19, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »

The Outlaw Josie Wales.  Great movie about the MO/KS border skirmishes during the War Between the States.  Based on real-life happenings in Osceola, MO.  Now, Osceola is known for it's cheese.  Mmmmm, cheese.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1213 on: May 19, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »

Great film.

Selam

Not to ruin anything for you, but it is certainly a film that begs to be seen "huge".

Waiting to come across it on DVD somewhere, like on the street, thrown into my car, or something like that.

Would definitely like to see it again.

Yeah you gotta watch this on Blu-Ray at the very least. I'll ship you my blu-ray player with movie if you would like Gebre. (BTW you would need to have an HDTV that is native 1080p)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:56:07 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #1214 on: May 19, 2012, 08:53:10 PM »

Told you. Amazing stuff. Brad Dourif is incredible and has been for forever.
You do know he was in the Lord of the Rings movie, right :p?

But yeah, he's definitely one of my favorite actors.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: