OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:45:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 111869 times) Average Rating: 0
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #675 on: June 20, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »

Of course!  I subscribe to the idea that there's only one movie trilogy that can be mentioned in this manner (and it ain't LotR [which had it's good points and Return of the King did deserve that best picture oscar] or Godfather).  That said, there's only one book trilogy worthy of being called "the Trilogy" and it ain't any of the Star Wars (or Godfather).

Oh there is a great bit about that "trilogy", but I fear it would stretch the bounds propriety here. *sigh*

Would it happen to be Kevin Smith's?  If so, LOL just at the memory, but yes, probably not appropriate to this forum.

No. probably not!  There's only one Return and it's not of the King.  It's of the Jedi.

edit - By the way, Book Trilogies are for the weak.  I refer you to Captain Richard Sharpe.  (I know, all of you with class will remind me that by Waterloo he made it to Lieutenant Colonel but my favorite books were back when he was a Captain.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:30:47 PM by vamrat » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #676 on: June 20, 2011, 11:27:02 PM »

Any good?

Are you really seriously asking?  The answer, in short, is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I have to watch it. Ive made such a fuss already

You did well.  Watch it and keep the Fast Forward button handy.  Acting - poor.  Plot - poorer.  By poor I mean as poor as a widow who spent her last two mites then bought an Escalade taking a loan from the Mafia.  The world being destroyed bits...not bad.  I bet if you are liberal with the FF button you can make it into a 45 minute movie.  A decent 45 minute movie, but 45 minutes nonetheless. 

BTW, if the world does end in 2012, I blame John Cusack. 
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #677 on: June 20, 2011, 11:30:20 PM »

I've been super bored at home, so movies I have watched recently:

Children of Men
Fight Club
Body of Lies
Pride and Prejudice (2005)
The Young Victoria
2012 (hush now, the special effects made it bearable)
Public Enemies
Idiocracy
The Island (not the Orthodox one, but the one directed by Michael Bay)

I also completed series 2 of Primeval and watched part 1 of a British miniseries called The Outcasts. Spending my time wisely, as you all can see...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #678 on: June 21, 2011, 01:20:17 AM »

I've been super bored at home, so movies I have watched recently:

Children of Men
Fight Club
Body of Lies
Pride and Prejudice (2005)
The Young Victoria
2012 (hush now, the special effects made it bearable)
Public Enemies
Idiocracy
The Island (not the Orthodox one, but the one directed by Michael Bay)

I also completed series 2 of Primeval and watched part 1 of a British miniseries called The Outcasts. Spending my time wisely, as you all can see...

Shh!  Don't talk about fight club!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #679 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:13 AM »

Just watched Elizabeth - The Golden Age. Pretty costumes and scenes, but I didn't care about the story at all.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #680 on: June 21, 2011, 02:54:56 AM »

Children of Men is a remarkable film.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #681 on: June 21, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »

Just watched Elizabeth - The Golden Age. Pretty costumes and scenes, but I didn't care about the story at all.

That's how I felt about Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst. Beautiful for the eyes but grating on the mind.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
trifon

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #682 on: June 21, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »

I agree.  I found the first Elizabeth to have a much better story line. 
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #683 on: June 22, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »

The last one I watched was X-Men: First Class... Cheesy Liked Wolverine's cameo. Had a differente interpretation for Mystique's appearance issue than probably intended.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #684 on: June 22, 2011, 08:04:43 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I just watched No Country For Old Men, which while seemingly not the best choice during Fasting season, actually turned out to be quite edifying.

It seems to me that this film has a good moral, that some of the aspects of our lives like our careers, our major decisions, our ambitions, are not necessarily based upon the material gain or the surface view, rather we often do what we do out of the "thrill of the chase"

In this film the drug and gun runners didn't seem to be doing what they did for the money, rather for the power, for the thrill, for the sheer experience of it, as surely there could be enough money or guns and yet these folks continue on with it.

Anton is a hitman not for the money, not for the drugs, not even for the power or the status, but rather because he seems to get a perverse thrill from it, a sense of determination and accomplishment.  He even makes this point when asking Carson (woody's character), "If the rule you followed lead you to this, what was the point of that rule?" before he killed him..

The Sherriff (Tommy Lee Jones) was not necessarily doing what he did out of a sense of justice or stopping the bad guys, as surely he had arrested and stopped enough to be satisfied, and yet in his attempt at retirement he was too anxious just to enjoy breakfast, rather the thrill of the chase still beckoned him.

Llewellyn Moss was not in it for the money, as several times he had the money and could have walked away, or even just abandoned the money.  The trouble really started for him not with the money, but with having gone back to give water to that dying drug dealer..

All the drama was not a result of the circumstances or the reality of the situations, rather as a result of the characters reactions, interpretations, decisions made afterward.

The conclusion where Anton goes to kill Llewellyn's wife explains it also, when he flips the coin and says, "Its the best I can do" and the wife responds saying," Its not the coin, its you, it was always you."

This is the truth.  We do not chase our dreams, make our livings, search out our ambitions because of the material rewards or the mental satisfaction of the accomplishment, rather like Anton or the Sheriff or the dealers or Llewellyn, we seem to operate more so out of the mechanism of having already been involved, of the thrill of being in the chase, of simply acting out the events to their conclusion.. We do what we do not because of principle or material gain, rather because we seem to have nothing else in life to do but to follow our opportunities be they what they are.

In this film, the opportunities were negative, but the reality was the same.  The Characters did not act because they had too, but because even if subconsciously they wanted to, to be involved with that never ending chase, just as the Sun always sets to rise again a new day.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #685 on: June 25, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I just watched No Country For Old Men, which while seemingly not the best choice during Fasting season, actually turned out to be quite edifying.

It seems to me that this film has a good moral, that some of the aspects of our lives like our careers, our major decisions, our ambitions, are not necessarily based upon the material gain or the surface view, rather we often do what we do out of the "thrill of the chase"

In this film the drug and gun runners didn't seem to be doing what they did for the money, rather for the power, for the thrill, for the sheer experience of it, as surely there could be enough money or guns and yet these folks continue on with it.

Anton is a hitman not for the money, not for the drugs, not even for the power or the status, but rather because he seems to get a perverse thrill from it, a sense of determination and accomplishment.  He even makes this point when asking Carson (woody's character), "If the rule you followed lead you to this, what was the point of that rule?" before he killed him..

The Sherriff (Tommy Lee Jones) was not necessarily doing what he did out of a sense of justice or stopping the bad guys, as surely he had arrested and stopped enough to be satisfied, and yet in his attempt at retirement he was too anxious just to enjoy breakfast, rather the thrill of the chase still beckoned him.

Llewellyn Moss was not in it for the money, as several times he had the money and could have walked away, or even just abandoned the money.  The trouble really started for him not with the money, but with having gone back to give water to that dying drug dealer..

All the drama was not a result of the circumstances or the reality of the situations, rather as a result of the characters reactions, interpretations, decisions made afterward.

The conclusion where Anton goes to kill Llewellyn's wife explains it also, when he flips the coin and says, "Its the best I can do" and the wife responds saying," Its not the coin, its you, it was always you."

This is the truth.  We do not chase our dreams, make our livings, search out our ambitions because of the material rewards or the mental satisfaction of the accomplishment, rather like Anton or the Sheriff or the dealers or Llewellyn, we seem to operate more so out of the mechanism of having already been involved, of the thrill of being in the chase, of simply acting out the events to their conclusion.. We do what we do not because of principle or material gain, rather because we seem to have nothing else in life to do but to follow our opportunities be they what they are.

In this film, the opportunities were negative, but the reality was the same.  The Characters did not act because they had too, but because even if subconsciously they wanted to, to be involved with that never ending chase, just as the Sun always sets to rise again a new day.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Good assessment brother.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #686 on: June 25, 2011, 01:02:26 AM »

Rewatched The Departed with Spanish subtitles. Definitely not as good the second time around.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #687 on: June 25, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »

No movie is as good the 2nd time round. EVEN Pulp Fiction and i love that one
"Garçon! Coffee!"...lolOl
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #688 on: June 26, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »

No movie is as good the 2nd time round. EVEN Pulp Fiction and i love that one
"Garçon! Coffee!"...lolOl
I find that Inception and Napoleon Dynamite both improved upon the second viewing (albeit in very different ways).

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #689 on: June 27, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »

Didn't like the Big Lebowski until about the fifth time I saw it. Now it is one of my faves.

Why did I watch a film I didn't like five times? That is a story unto itself.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #690 on: June 30, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »

Didn't like the Big Lebowski until about the fifth time I saw it. Now it is one of my faves.

Why did I watch a film I didn't like five times? That is a story unto itself.
I'd kind of like to hear it. I'm curious as to why it would take that long. That was a good movie.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #691 on: June 30, 2011, 10:50:11 AM »

Most personally current released movies seen: The Conspirator: an interpretation of the fate of Mary Surrat in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln (good movie, will have to verify with history eventually but will always probably view flick as good) & Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Antiochian OC N.A.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #692 on: June 30, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »

I watched 9th Company a few weeks ago.  It is a Russian movie about the Afghan War.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  I thought it was very reminiscent of Full Metal Jacket.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #693 on: June 30, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »

I saw the Objective last weekend. CIA + Afghanistan + Aliens. It was tolerable until the ending, which I felt was so open ended for the sake of being artsy. Dang IFC hipsters.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Phoenix73

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #694 on: July 02, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »

Tree of Life
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #695 on: July 03, 2011, 01:01:37 AM »

Tree of Life

Really?! Is it finally out ? Please tell us how you liked it. I've been waiting a long time for this one.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Phoenix73

« Reply #696 on: July 03, 2011, 04:13:57 AM »

Tree of Life

Really?! Is it finally out ? Please tell us how you liked it. I've been waiting a long time for this one.

Selam

visually it is beautiful, thought provoking , just a little too cut and paste for me. I loved the simplicity  and color of the 50's, a loving father trying his best and still getting it wrong compared to the angst, emptiness and sterility of the modern life.
The creation/evolution scene was amazing and it made me PERSONALLY believe that there is no way there is not a creator or plan behind our existence, it is not chance (others will differ in their interpretation)  Oh and the acting is very good, you forget it is THE Brad Pitt. Smiley
Phoenix73

« Reply #697 on: July 04, 2011, 01:39:01 AM »

Children of Men is a remarkable film.

true, and very sad
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #698 on: July 04, 2011, 04:42:49 AM »

Black Beauty, such a good film.  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jrdBatcz1c

Forgive my sins.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #699 on: July 12, 2011, 10:39:14 PM »

I saw The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Ennio Morricone made such a good score for that film.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #700 on: July 12, 2011, 10:47:26 PM »

Nobody went to the midnight screening of the final Harry Potter??

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #701 on: July 12, 2011, 11:16:29 PM »

Watched Mao's Last Dancer last night. I really like liked it. A great (and true) story, and I was captivated by the incredible dancing. And I am by no means an afficianado of the ballet.

Selam

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #702 on: July 12, 2011, 11:31:52 PM »

Recent films courtesy of Netflix (BTW, anyone else heard about their plan to jack up the rates? I'm not happy about it!):

127 Hours with James Franco. 
Dinner for Schmucks with Paul Rudd, Steve Carell and Zach Galifinakis

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #703 on: July 13, 2011, 12:15:12 AM »

Recent films courtesy of Netflix (BTW, anyone else heard about their plan to jack up the rates? I'm not happy about it!):

127 Hours with James Franco. 
Dinner for Schmucks with Paul Rudd, Steve Carell and Zach Galifinakis

Did Dinner for Schmucks make you feel like a schmuck for having watched, as it did for me?
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #704 on: July 13, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »

It's OUT?!

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #705 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:07 AM »

It's OUT?!

The theaters here in Jackson, MS are showing Harry Potter marathons. But of course, no Tree of Life.   Roll Eyes

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #706 on: July 13, 2011, 01:17:39 AM »

I saw 127 Hours the other night. A remarkable story, but an unremarkable movie.

Selam
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:18:04 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #707 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »

The most recent movie I've watched was an independent film called Diary of a City Priest. It was quite good. It shows a somewhat gritty view of the job of a Catholic priest in a rough inner city area of Philadelphia. David Morse plays the priest Fr. John McNamee and shows his struggles to try and serve everyone. It shows how much is demanded of him. People come to him at night asking for food, shoes, and help with their other problems not to mention all that is demanded by the people of his parish. It was hard for him to even sit down to eat dinner without interruption. It is a great story of self denial and sacrifice and how much this regular priest is responsible for. Honestly, to be a priest must require the patience of a rock, especially with Fr. John in the film.

I highly recommend it. 
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #708 on: July 13, 2011, 01:05:05 PM »

Did Dinner for Schmucks make you feel like a schmuck for having watched, as it did for me?

It schucked.... laugh

primuspilus

P.S. Seriously, it was awful.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #709 on: July 13, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »

Watched a ton of movies lately. Here's what I can remember:

Black Swan

The Tree of Life

The Queen

Waiting for Superman

Black Death

Battle: Los Angeles
(absolutely horrible)

Horrible Bosses

Just Go With It

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #710 on: July 13, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing HP7 - Part 2 on Friday at 10am.  I loved the series, but am not fanatical enough to go to a midnight showing.  For the last 7 the theatre was pretty empty at the 10am showing, and I could enjoy the movie in peace. I guess this proves I'm an old fogey... Grin 

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #711 on: July 13, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »

The Queen
How did you like it?
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #712 on: July 13, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »

Battle: Los Angeles[/i] (absolutely horrible)

Agreed. Have you seen Skyline? It's practically the same movie.

Forgive my sins.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #713 on: July 13, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »

Great acting, but a little too British in terms of the boorish drama. It's a one-time watch for sure.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:32:53 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #714 on: July 13, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »

Black Beauty, such a good film.  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jrdBatcz1c

Good book, too.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #715 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »

Watched a ton of movies lately. Here's what I can remember:

Black Swan

The Tree of Life

The Queen

Waiting for Superman

Black Death

Battle: Los Angeles
(absolutely horrible)

Horrible Bosses

Just Go With It

you need a new hobby lolOl
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #716 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:20 AM »

Very much so, first book I ever read.

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #717 on: July 14, 2011, 01:38:14 AM »

Took my sons to see Buck earlier tonight. What a wonderful and inspiring documentary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCMm5uoZtXw

Selam

Phoenix73

« Reply #718 on: July 16, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »

Just came back from seeing Mozart's sister, it was ok.

Saw Bridesmaids last week, loved it.

Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #719 on: July 16, 2011, 10:20:24 AM »

Cop Out

How to Train Your Dragon

Harry Potter and the Death Hallows: Part 2
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: