OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 01:06:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 120559 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #585 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:56 AM »

This week I watched Into Great Silence http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478160/. Nice film.  Make sure you have absolutely no distractions though.  Shut the phone off, no room mates around, etc...  I also watched The Island http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851577/.  Very well done.

The former is OK. I've shared my blistering critique of the latter elsewhere.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #586 on: June 03, 2011, 01:59:06 AM »

I'm going to be watching Transamerica sometime soon.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #587 on: June 03, 2011, 03:29:14 AM »

I know you can do better than that my brother.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #588 on: June 03, 2011, 03:43:28 AM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

Anyone else here seen Spartacus: Blood and Sand and/or Spartacus: Gods of the Arena? Thoughts?

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #589 on: June 03, 2011, 07:21:27 AM »

Good Bye, Lenin!. Its a German tragicomedy set in the DDR during the reunification of Germany. Fantastic film - definitely one of my favorites.

The (US) trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEumLZxlQzY
I have seen that movie 5 or 6 times (which is a lot for me). I LOVE that film! I get teary-eyed and laugh simultaneously, every time I watch it.

Really? Found it underwhelming despite my own Ostalgie.
No, I just said that I liked the film, but I was actually lying.

I joke, I joke. What did you find underwhelming about it? Was it the pace? That was my only major criticism of the movie....I hate the scene where he visits his father and talks with the "astronaut" in the taxi because it's so slow. But I think the film has a lot of heart and there are some good laughs to be had throughout. My sister, who is extremely critical of my collection, also really liked the movie (although she fell asleep around the scene I mentioned above. I wasn't surprised.).

Seeing Alex's relationship with his mother definitely details the kind of devotion that I should have towards my own mother -- not that I could go on pretending that all was good in the DDR for months on end!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #590 on: June 03, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »

Just saw Green Zone with Matt Damon. 
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #591 on: June 03, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »

Selam

Better? I wouldn't know. I don't really know what it's about beyond, very broadly, gender issues.

Do you? Or is that just a knee jerk reaction?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #592 on: June 03, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »

Anyone else here seen Spartacus: Blood and Sand and/or Spartacus: Gods of the Arena? Thoughts?

I have not. I've talked to my mom about it. She said she tried it but it was so sickeningly gory that she couldn't watch it anymore.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #593 on: June 04, 2011, 03:00:44 AM »

Selam

Better? I wouldn't know. I don't really know what it's about beyond, very broadly, gender issues.

Do you? Or is that just a knee jerk reaction?

Call it a kneejerk reaction, but I suspect that it is hardly an objective look at "gender issues."

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #594 on: June 04, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »

Saw Pulp Fiction for the first time last night. Wonderful entertainment.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #595 on: June 04, 2011, 06:12:33 PM »

X men all the way!!!!!!!!!!! Love them.... love transformers as well.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #596 on: June 05, 2011, 12:29:29 AM »

Left Behind, today. Wink

Kirk Cameron FTW!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #597 on: June 09, 2011, 12:03:49 AM »

This week I watched Into Great Silence http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478160/. Nice film.  Make sure you have absolutely no distractions though.  Shut the phone off, no room mates around, etc...  I also watched The Island http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851577/.  Very well done.

The former is OK. I've shared my blistering critique of the latter elsewhere.

That's fine.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #598 on: June 10, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »

Recently watched the last installment of the Girl who series based on the Millennium series by Stieg Larsson.

The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Luftslottet som sprängdes, while not nearly as ridiculous as the first two films, definitely offers little to compensate in terms of action.

Every film was trash. The only redeeming quality throughout the series is the incredible acting job by Noomi Rapace.

Why did I sit through each one? Because they offer the rare occasion for me to pretend I understand Swedish in a large dark room.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:32:51 AM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #599 on: June 10, 2011, 08:32:35 AM »

Winter's Bone

Highly recommended. Deadwood fans will be delighted to see some of the actors who shone during the series get real roles to shine once again in.

Jennifer Lawrence is young and can truly act. It is uncommon to see such a young actor play a nuanced role which carries the greater weight of a film. A beautifully painful film. Hit close to home for better and worse.

Again, highly recommended.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:33:00 AM by orthonorm » Logged

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #600 on: June 10, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »

Jennifer Lawrence is young and can truly act. It is uncommon to see such a young actor play a nuanced role which carries the greater weight of a film. A beautifully painful film. Hit close to home for better and worse.
She was great in X-Men: First Class. Best X-Men yet, IMO. Michael Fassbender really stole the show. I could watch that man take revenge on Nazis all day and never get bored. The entire cast was very solid though. It led to some surprisingly poignant moments.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #601 on: June 10, 2011, 11:15:47 AM »

She was great in X-Men: First Class. Best X-Men yet, IMO. Michael Fassbender really stole the show. I could watch that man take revenge on Nazis all day and never get bored. The entire cast was very solid though. It led to some surprisingly poignant moments.

Was debating whether to repair to a cinema this weekend to see this as a matinee. Will do after this rec.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #602 on: June 10, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »

Was debating whether to repair to a cinema this weekend to see this as a matinee. Will do after this rec.
Try to enjoy the film on its own merits, as there are a lot of continuity errors with the others. As a fan of X-Men comics, I've kind of gotten used to it.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #603 on: June 10, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »

Last night I watched "True Grit." (the Coen version) I know I'm late, but I'm not a big movie person at all. I rarely watch something when it comes out in the theater. It takes a lot of recs (or strategic placing in the foreign films section) to get me to watch a movie.

I just started to get into westerns after taking Film Studies (I know  Roll Eyes I had to take it but I appreciate the class now!). Of course the formula was typical Western, but I thought the acting was great -- loved Jeff Bridges!. Even Hailee Steinfeld seemed to handle changing her accent and saying the lines pretty well, save for a few small moments. I don't know if I can name a female actress at her age that can do the same! Bravo. I wouldn't call it amazing, but it was pretty darn good.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #604 on: June 10, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »

#1 Movie you never want to see again??
#2 Movie epic you could watch over forever??
#3 Movie that youd make your ex watch
haha...??
#4 Movie that you need the excuse of your nephews and nieces to watch with you???
#5 Movie for when you need to cry and you just can't get it out??
#6 Movie so old you got to blow the dust off but you just love it??
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:50:53 AM by Poppy » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #605 on: June 10, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »

Last night I watched "True Grit." (the Coen version) I know I'm late, but I'm not a big movie person at all. I rarely watch something when it comes out in the theater. It takes a lot of recs (or strategic placing in the foreign films section) to get me to watch a movie.

I just started to get into westerns after taking Film Studies (I know  Roll Eyes I had to take it but I appreciate the class now!). Of course the formula was typical Western, but I thought the acting was great -- loved Jeff Bridges!. Even Hailee Steinfeld seemed to handle changing her accent and saying the lines pretty well, save for a few small moments. I don't know if I can name a female actress at her age that can do the same! Bravo. I wouldn't call it amazing, but it was pretty darn good.

I loved True Girt, but I am a bit of a Western nut (well, actually depends on the western, but the ones that I like I am nuts for!).  I watched a bit of the original but I think the current one was a lot better.  John Wayne just isn't a convincing drunk.  And I thought Kim Darby was just annoying.  Cute, but annoying.

My favorite westerns are generally Clint Eastwood.  The Outlaw Josey Wales is on my top 10 list of movies of all time, and the Man With No Name movies were all very nice, making Yojimbo into a Western was just a great idea.  They Call Me Trinity is also on my list of best movies, even though it was a Spaghetti Western spoof.  Fist Full of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker is definitely worth watching as well.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #606 on: June 10, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »

^ I've seen a few Clint Eastwood flicks (Of course also "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly") and they were all pretty great. In class I watched a few old school ones...I can only remember "High Noon," since that was years ago.

Thanks for the recs. I think I am going to hit up Blockbuster and pick up a few new ones. I do have to say that I find the Spaghetti Westerns screamingly hilarious, though. We call "Sukiyaki Western Django" an Udon Western.  Grin

--
--
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #607 on: June 10, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »

haha...??
#4 Movie that you need the excuse of your nephews and nieces to watch with you???

1 - The Musketeer.  The only movie I have ever walked out of.  It was just horrible.  I would rather go to the proctologist than ever see that again.
2 - Zulu.  I have seen that one many many times.  I doubt I will ever get tired of it.  I believe that the only reason England built an empire was so that one day they could make this movie.
3 - The Rite.  I loved that movie and for the last month of the relationship I tried and tried to get her to see it.  When she finally consented I found that it wasn't out on DVD yet.
4 - Twilight.  Actually, scrap that, I am secure in my manhood, I can watch Twilight without cover.
5 - Gettysburg.  the part at the end when General Armistead puts his hat on his sword and leads them in.  Actually, I start crying when General Lee does his inspiring ride out and it just get's worse from there.
6 - Zulu.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #608 on: June 10, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »

Poppy asked:

#1 Movie you never want to see again?
Howard the Duck

#2 Movie epic you could watch over forever?
Lord of the Rings (all three, but not necessarily in one sitting)

#3 Movie that you'd make your ex watch?
Howard the Duck

#4 Movie that you need the excuse of your nephews and nieces to watch with you?
Jungle Book (Disney)

#5 Movie for when you need to cry and you just can't get it out?
Casablanca

#6 Movie so old you got to blow the dust off but you just love it?
Gold Rush

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #609 on: June 10, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »

haha...??

Your best post. I'll have to think this one over.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #610 on: June 10, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »

haha...??

Your best post. I'll have to think this one over.

Tentative:

1: I've sat through some garbage, but any of LotR flicks.
2. Well I've seen The Ten Commandments every year of my life and love it every time, so it, I suppose.
3. Taste of Cherry
4. Don't need no excuse: Babe
5. Magnolia
6. Gotta think on this one.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #611 on: June 10, 2011, 03:39:08 PM »

haha...??

1. Lots of these, but The Black Swan is probably the most recent.
2. Ran (Kurosawa)
3. Conan the Barbarian
4. I'm pretty shameless in what I watch. But mayb The Ewok Adventure or something.
5. The Thin Red Line
6. It's not really that old but Out of the Past
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:39:44 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #612 on: June 10, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »

2. Ran (Kurosawa)

This is what I would like to say. But I have seen the Ten Commandment a few more times. Ran, I've only seen about 16 times.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:08:20 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #613 on: June 10, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »

#1 Movie you never want to see again?
Howard the Duck

Nice call.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #614 on: June 11, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »

Freeway

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #615 on: June 11, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »

Black Death Starring Sean Bean. Very odd but good film set during the Bubonic plague about a group of knights guided by a novice Monk who set out to rid a village of a witch/necromancer.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #616 on: June 11, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »

I just got a new copy of an old favorite- 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind.' It has all three editions of the film- the regular theater cut, the director's cut and another one. Yeah!  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #617 on: June 11, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »

I saw Kung Fu Panda 2 couple of weeks ago and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides This afternoon.  It just struck me that Ian McShane is in both of them "Lord Shen" the white peacock villain in the former and Edward "Blackbeard" Teach in the latter.  I enjoyed both of them very much.  KFP2 has gorgeous animation and the characters are just as good and more fleshed out.  Po's father, Mr. Ping the noodle making goose tells his son the truth that he is "kind of adopted".  The story is a bit darker than the first movie in the series but still good and the side-steps from possible cliches is well done.

POTC:OST is fun and has another scene with Captain Teague, Jack Sparrow's father (played by Keith Richards).  It rings some interesting changes on folklore such as mermaids and there are some fine twists. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #618 on: June 11, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

Super 8 tonight, can't wait!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #619 on: June 11, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »

I just got a new copy of an old favorite- 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind.' It has all three editions of the film- the regular theater cut, the director's cut and another one. Yeah!  Smiley

Good pick!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #620 on: June 12, 2011, 12:49:28 AM »

Just finished watching the original Tron.  Classic.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #621 on: June 12, 2011, 12:57:36 AM »

#1 Movie you never want to see again??  Tie. Napoleon Dynamite or Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
#2 Movie epic you could watch over forever??  Ben-Hur
#3 Movie that youd make your ex watch haha...??  Tron
#4 Movie that you need the excuse of your nephews and nieces to watch with you???  The Sword in the Stone
#5 Movie for when you need to cry and you just can't get it out??  I'll get back to you.
#6 Movie so old you got to blow the dust off but you just love it??  Dances with Wolves

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #622 on: June 12, 2011, 12:48:27 PM »

#1 Movie you never want to see again??  Tie. Napoleon Dynamite

Good one.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #623 on: June 12, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »

No doubt.

Best thing about the movie: they Broke the Nazi German Rule.

In most American films dealing with the holocaust, the low level soldiers and whatnot bark out orders in German, the Jews don't speak German, not even with an accent, and the "evil" overlord Nazis speak English with a bad German accent.

In this films, even the Jews spoke German. Every German did.

The fact that a Hollywood Blockbuster film used three non English languages in it, German being one that carried a lot of the back story gets congrats.

And frankly (there is a really bad pun to be made there), I am pretty much sick of holocaustporn. Oddly enough, this film didn't go that route.

The film could've been cut 20 minutes shorter easily. Professor X is even more annoying as a young man than later.

But all and all it was an OK action, superhero film. But as said above Magneto's backstory and charater development(?!) and Fassbender's acting actually was treated quite well, not just for a comic book. Over the top, but more nuanced than Spielberg's schlock.

There is a line toward the end of the movie that is a cliche you've been waiting for the whole film and it doesn't ring cliche at all.

Amazing what a single real actor can do for a film a little think on script and supporting acting.

You are right Jennifer Lawrence did a great job with the lines she was given.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:05:33 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #624 on: June 14, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »

#1 Movie you never want to see again??  Watchmen. without a doubt. Watchmen. Only Rorschach and some of his scenes at times get even close to the tone of the original source material.

#2 Movie epic you could watch over forever??  The Wind That Shakes the Barley
#3 Movie that youd make your ex watch haha.   I have no ex so not applicable.
#4 Movie that you need the excuse of your nephews and nieces to watch with you???  I'm an only child so again not applicable. If it's watching with kids possible Paddington Bear - the original series from the 1970's
#5 Movie for when you need to cry and you just can't get it out??  Silent Running
#6 Movie so old you got to blow the dust off but you just love it??  Several. The Roaring Twenties, the Searchers, Moscow Does not Believe In Tears, Shake Hands with the Devil.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »

#1 Movie you never want to see again?? The Road
#2 Movie epic you could watch over forever?? Pulp Fiction
#3 Movie that youd make your ex watch ?? Shawshank Redemption (hes in prison so hed hate it lolOl)
#4 Movie that you need the excuse of your nephews and nieces to watch with you??? I'd have to borrow some but Madagascar
"I like to move, it move it..." haha...
Julian "If he is a King then where is his crown? I've got a crown, got a very nice one and its here on my head. Look at it. Have I got it on?"
Julian again "Shhhh, we're hiding. Everyone needs to be quiet, including me... SHHHHHH! Who's making that noise? Oh, it's me again... "
#5 Movie for when you need to cry and you just can't get it out?? Remains of the Day
#6 Movie so old you got to blow the dust off but you just love it?? Rope
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »

#2 Movie epic you could watch over forever?? Pulp Fiction
#3 Movie that youd make your ex watch ?? Shawshank Redemption (hes in prison so hed hate it lolOl)
#6 Movie so old you got to blow the dust off but you just love it?? Rope

#2 Ain't an epic.

#3 & 6 I'm seeing a theme.

#6 Excellent choice. Still thinking about this choice.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #627 on: June 14, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »

Not a movie, but I've been watching the British comedy "Peep Show" (on Hulu).  Brilliant stuff.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #628 on: June 14, 2011, 04:52:58 PM »

Nice.  I liked that movie, unfortunately it was on St. Patrick's day.  I will need to watch it sober some time.
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #629 on: June 14, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »

Nice.  I liked that movie, unfortunately it was on St. Patrick's day.  I will need to watch it sober some time.

It is one of the few movies that actually takes a serious look at the subject and deals with the matter. It is far, far better than Neil Jordan's 'Michael Collins' in that regard which tends to buy into the hagiography that at times surrounds Collins. Iroinically it's made by an  Englishman. Then again Ireland is a country where the declaration declaring independence was mostly authored by a man with an English father who was originally Protestant......

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: