OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 10:09:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 118271 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #495 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »

The Tudors

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #496 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »

It's Lent....no movies!   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #497 on: March 31, 2011, 07:11:32 PM »

Just watched Extract. Stars Jason Bateman and I'm a fan of anything he does. Ben Affleck is also surprisingly hilarious in it, but I'm hesitant to recommend.

And I saw Megamind this week which I loved! Always a Tina Fey fan, but Mr. Ferrell rocked this one and really carried the whole thing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:11:50 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #498 on: March 31, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »

It's Lent....no movies!   Wink

How do you get to sleep without a good horror flick going?  Huh

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #499 on: March 31, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »

^^  laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #500 on: April 03, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »

Every week I've been watching both Willy Wonka movies. Or, as my daughters call him, Willy Wonko. They insist on watching those movies over and over. And over. And over. Argh!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #501 on: April 03, 2011, 10:40:03 PM »

Every week I've been watching both Willy Wonka movies. Or, as my daughters call him, Willy Wonko. They insist on watching those movies over and over. And over. And over. Argh!

The Gene Wilder one is sooo good, eventhough it deviated away from the book.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #502 on: April 04, 2011, 01:58:45 PM »

Forbidden Planet. 

I haven't watched it in quite some time, but it was mentioned a bunch of times on Castle last week... So I couldn't resist.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #503 on: April 04, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »

That would be my idea of hell!  laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #504 on: April 23, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »

I'm currently watching a TV show on the Pope/Vatican. I've been watching pseudo-historical stuff all day on natgeo, history, etc. Some interesting stuff amongst all the bs. And, I never thought I'd see the pope just chillin' in a chair watching TV in his living room Smiley

Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #505 on: April 24, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »

Saw the adjustment bureau, not really sure what to say Huh
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #506 on: April 24, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »

One of the local evangelist stations has been repeatedly showing The Passion of the Christ.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #507 on: April 24, 2011, 01:02:53 PM »

One of the local evangelist stations has been repeatedly showing The Passion of the Christ.
How much did they edit it to comply with FCC regulations?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #508 on: April 24, 2011, 02:37:31 PM »

I'm currently watching a TV show on the Pope/Vatican. I've been watching pseudo-historical stuff all day on natgeo, history, etc. Some interesting stuff amongst all the bs. And, I never thought I'd see the pope just chillin' in a chair watching TV in his living room Smiley

Angels and Demons?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #509 on: April 24, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »

Angels and Demons?

I wouldn't consider the pope either of those, no  Grin

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #510 on: April 24, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »

Angels and Demons?

I wouldn't consider the pope either of those, no  Grin

No, I meant a film with our co-believer Tom H.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #511 on: April 24, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

Oh, nope, mostly just your typical stuff with Bart Ehrman, Crossan, etc.  I don't mind listening to/watching that Kirsti Copeland though...  angel
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 02:58:19 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #512 on: April 24, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »

Angels and Demons?

Actually I think he was watching the same thing I was on history channel, it was called secret access: The Vatican http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1880322/

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #513 on: April 24, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »

Lion of the Desert - a movie about the Libyan resistance to the Italians invading their country that focuses on Omar Mukthar.

Jonah Hex - this was a mistake, a big mistake, a tragic mistake. Much like the picture itself.

Fahrenheit 451. As I like Ray Bradbury a lot.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #514 on: April 25, 2011, 05:45:16 AM »

Been on a foreign film kick for the past...13 years or so, so for me it's "Ajami" (honestly it only caught my eye because the director's name is Scandar Copti; yeah, I know, I'm lame), "Under the Bombs", and "The Counterfeiters", from Palestine, Lebanon, and Germany (respectively). I'd seen the German film in theaters and liked it quite a bit (still do, apparently). Of the two Arabphone films, I'd prefer "Under the Bombs", but I have a request of filmmakers who deal with this part of the world: Can you please stop treating any story that has Christian and Muslim characters interacting like it's some sort amazingly special achievement? It's embarrassing. "He's a Christian...She's a Shi'ite...and he's driving her around in his taxi because she pays him to do that! Because that's his JOB! Watch as she does not signal Al-Qaeda with the some sort of terrorist 'bat signal' to come kill him. What a groundbreaking film this is!"

Oh, and a subrequest: Stop making us all look like miserable people. Of course the Christian guy has a love scene (and I'm not calling it that because his cab is adorned with a "just married" sign at any point)...why wouldn't he? And of COURSE the Christian girl falls in love with a Muslim, pressures him to tell her father about them, and her father flips out because Christians are just so unfair and unenlightened about interfaith relationships! And it totally ruins the girl's life forever, because she could only ever love the Muslim guy! Now she'll never be complete! Wah wah wah. Why did I have to be born a Christian?  Roll Eyes

يا رب، ارحمني، المشاهد
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:53:48 AM by dzheremi » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #515 on: April 25, 2011, 11:38:01 AM »

^ How did you like The Counterfeiters? I thought it was great, but pretty long! I'm glad that I saw the movie, though.

Just watched Out of the Ashes a few days ago and I was SO unimpressed. Bad, over exaggerated European accents, obvious Holocaust-on-a-Hollywood-set, bad script, etc. I can't believe it got such high ratings on Amazon.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #516 on: April 25, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »

Yeah, I really liked the Counterfeiters. I don't feel that it was long.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #517 on: April 25, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »

I don't have much of an attention span, admittedly. My friends call me the "TV girl" because I can watch 4 1-hr episodes (or more) in a row, but I can't sit through a 2 hour movie without getting antsy. Not sure why that is.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #518 on: April 29, 2011, 06:48:33 PM »

The Jurassic Park Trilogy, both Star Wars Trilogies, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and Australia
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:49:11 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #519 on: May 02, 2011, 06:13:08 AM »

Currently watching The Goonies  Smiley

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #520 on: May 09, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »

Of Gods and Men

While I typically don't get much into to films with a relatively strong "moral" to them and thought this film would be especially didactic, I was pleasantly surprised.

The acting is very well done. When much of the film revolves around men who have taken a limited vow of silence, the quality of acting has to really stand out. The main character of the film, Christian, is portrayed with incredible nuance.

I won't recount the plot; it is easy enough to google. In spite of a story pretty much made to make a singular point, the film maintained a relative complexity--again relative.

In the hands of another director or set of actors, the film could have easily amounted to sentimental schlock. Instead it raises the question of what a Christian response would be in the face of a impossibly tragic situation and shows the hope of how Christianity can in quiet and through example bring communities outside of Christianity to flourish and live in peace and mutual respect.

Perhaps I was drawn in by cheap story-telling. Everyone else let me know.

Not a tear jerker. Full on weeping. Heart-wrenching film.

In terms of watching it with family, a view scenes of graphic but ungratuitous violence. Appropriate in my opinion for most kids age 12 or older.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #521 on: May 09, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »

The Jurassic Park Trilogy, both Star Wars Trilogies, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and Australia

You have lost all my respect for you.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #522 on: May 09, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »

I saw Fast Five.  It was pretty horrible but "The Rock" is one of my guilty pleasures.
Phoenix73
Elder

« Reply #523 on: May 15, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »

Fahrenheit 451. As I like Ray Bradbury a lot.

What a flash back, studied this book for my HSC 20 years ago,its kind of what got me fascinated with the myth of the Phoenix ,  I like Ray Bradbury too,  might read Dandelion wine again soon......

Just saw Water for Elephants, I liked the movie but wish there was a little more warning about the treatment of animals  Cry
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:43:16 AM by Phoenix73 » Logged
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #524 on: May 15, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »

Hilariously I remember reading an article by Ray where he pointed out how over the years Fahrenheit 451 was censored in different ways by a variety of publishers. Er what happens to the animals in 'Water for Elephants', my wife wants to see this but I know if it involves cruelty to animas she may find it upsetting.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #525 on: May 15, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »

I saw Fast Five.  It was pretty horrible but "The Rock" is one of my guilty pleasures.

I'll probably see it, too. I've seen the first three.  Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #526 on: May 15, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »

Evil Dead 2

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #527 on: May 15, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »

I caught the end of the Walking Tall remake on TV. The ratio of rounds fired to lives lost seemed off for some reason, but it made for an exciting picture.

I also caught Mrs. Doubtfire on PBS. It was my first time seeing it since I was a little kid, and I enjoyed it rather immensely.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #528 on: May 15, 2011, 03:02:03 PM »

Evil Dead 2

"Who's laughing now?  Who's!  Laughing!  Now?!"

Just recently saw "Thor".  I wouldn't nominate it for the Best Picture Oscar but it was an enjoyable popcorn movie.  The actors involved all did an excellent job and the movie of course just whets my appetite for a Joss Whedon directed Avengers next year.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #529 on: May 15, 2011, 09:46:57 PM »

Love pretty much everything Whedon. No way I would see Thor. If I wanted to see an overwrought and played out take on Norse mythology, I would not have blown off the Met simulcast of Die Walkuere yesterday.

Sorry Rick, but I just wasn't emotionally up to it.

Man, you people watch some serious schlock.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #530 on: May 15, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »

Huh You say that like it's a bad thing  Huh

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #531 on: May 15, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »

I rented a lot of anime that I need to get to.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #532 on: May 15, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »

Love pretty much everything Whedon. No way I would see Thor. If I wanted to see an overwrought and played out take on Norse mythology, I would not have blown off the Met simulcast of Die Walkuere yesterday.

I enjoy Joss Whedon but he is pretty much schlock too.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #533 on: May 15, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »

Watched The Great Santini on tv last night. One of my all time favorite movies with one of my all time favorite actors- Robert Duvall. I cry every time I watch it. I'm such a sap. Cry

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #534 on: May 15, 2011, 10:15:45 PM »

I only cry when I watch schlock like Gladiator... when he dies at the end... man, I just can't take it...  Cry

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #535 on: May 16, 2011, 12:19:53 AM »

THOR  Grin  Cheesy  Wink  Smiley  Cool  angel  laugh

Forgive my sins.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #536 on: May 16, 2011, 12:32:14 AM »

I only cry when I watch schlock like Gladiator... when he dies at the end... man, I just can't take it...  Cry

Man, I cried the whole way through that movie.  Especially when the Germans were doing the chant from Zulu.  Vorwarts Kameraden, vorwarts!  Usuthu!!!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #537 on: May 16, 2011, 01:41:44 AM »

I enjoy Joss Whedon but he is pretty much schlock too.

This is blasphemous. This would take a thread to rival the filioque to settle.

Phoenix73
Elder

« Reply #538 on: May 16, 2011, 05:49:53 AM »

Hilariously I remember reading an article by Ray where he pointed out how over the years Fahrenheit 451 was censored in different ways by a variety of publishers. Er what happens to the animals in 'Water for Elephants', my wife wants to see this but I know if it involves cruelty to animas she may find it upsetting.

It depends how sensitive she is,  theres about 2 scenes that were very uncomfortable. It does not show anything too graphic but I still found the cruelty, implied and otherwise upsetting.

Otherwise it is a good story/movie. The actors are really good the ringleader is an amazing actor, Reece was not annoying and the vampire can actually act.  Smiley
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #539 on: May 16, 2011, 09:18:02 AM »

It depends how sensitive she is,  theres about 2 scenes that were very uncomfortable. It does not show anything too graphic but I still found the cruelty, implied and otherwise upsetting.

Otherwise it is a good story/movie. The actors are really good the ringleader is an amazing actor, Reece was not annoying and the vampire can actually act.  Smiley

That's why I haven't watched it yet.  If they are cruel to the elephants...I don't know if I would go Elvis on the screen or just sit there and bawl.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: