OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:22:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 118306 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2010, 04:09:09 PM »

I went and saw Avatar in 3D and really enjoyed it. Interesting story and the visuals are amazing and beautiful. I also watch recently on DVD Akira Kurosawa's classic, Rashomon which I really enjoyed. I will also check out some of his other films as well such as Seven Samurai and Ran.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »

I recently watched "The Secret Garden", which was one of my favourite childhood books. The movie was poignant and beautiful-a real artistic masterpiece.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »

I recently watched "The Secret Garden", which was one of my favourite childhood books. The movie was poignant and beautiful-a real artistic masterpiece.

Yeah, I loved that movie. A real gem. If I'm not mistaken, it was produced by Fracis Ford Coppola.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »

Extraordinary Measures with Harrison Ford. The microbiologist/research scientist as hero, rather than the guy making mutant zombie serum for the bad guys. A sweet story with a good moral base.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »

My wife and I recently saw "The Book of Eli". I loved it. The violent parts are not as bad as things seen on prime time TV, though I admit that's not saying much. However, the outcome of the story is well worth waiting for. I fear that this movie will be overlooked by the secular media as "too Christian", which makes it just fine in my opinion. Denzel Washington continues to impress.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2010, 08:46:03 PM »

Has anyone watched the Soloist? Great movie.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
2Cor. 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Julian Calender

« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2010, 04:36:49 AM »

I watch videos on Youtube about stuff that matters; like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOGQVvEU8vY
And this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEC6e8N0Wfk&feature=related

This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o7UGLTauHI&feature=related

And finally, this, from all the way back to 1998:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGjxtEn_UXA&feature=related

Psa. 37:34 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.
Psa. 92:7 When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; it is that they shall be destroyed for ever:

Prov. 11:10 When it goeth well with the righteous, the city rejoiceth: and when the wicked perish, there is shouting.
Prov. 18:3 When the wicked cometh, then cometh also contempt, and with ignominy reproach.
Prov. 28:12 When righteous men do rejoice, there is great glory: but when the wicked rise, a man is hidden.
Prov. 28:28 When the wicked rise, men hide themselves: but when they perish, the righteous increase.
Prov. 29:2 When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
Prov. 29:16 When the wicked are multiplied, transgression increaseth: but the righteous shall see their fall.
Ezek. 18:27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.
Hab. 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?
Psa. 10:16 The LORD is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land.

Psa. 67:1 God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause his face to shine upon us; Selah.
Psa. 67:6 Then shall the earth yield her increase; and God, even our own God, shall bless us.
Psa. 67:7 God shall bless us; and all the ends of the earth shall fear him.
Psa. 115:12 The LORD hath been mindful of us: he will bless us; he will bless the house of Israel; he will bless the house of Aaron.

“The testimonies of the western teachers I neither recognize or accept. I surmise that they are corrupted.
There can be no compromise in matters of the Orthodox Faith.”

St Mark Of Ephesus, Doctor of the church. (True Church)

Down with ecumenism!
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2010, 04:48:13 AM »

Speaking of youtube, recently my grandaughter got me hooked on an Anime series - Ayashi No Ceres - which I really enjoyed. Then someone else suggested an old (1970s) British series called, Children of the Stones. A bit heavy on the spooky chorales, but quite watchable.   

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:48 AM »

I just finished watching Prisoner of the Mountains.  It was really good.  Part of what made it so good for me I think is the fact that it takes place in the Caucasus which is an area of the world I think is extremely interesting.  It's about two Russian soldiers who are taken prisoner by a Chechen man during the war back in the early 90s.  I'd recommend it.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »

Yesterday night, Lesya and I saw "Departures" (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810038113/info), a very interesting contemporary Japanese film directed by Yojiro Takita (2009). A story about a spiritual journey of a symphony orchestra player (cellist), who suddenly, out of the blue, finds himself unemployed. Very good cinematography, careful, attentive, dynamic, a bit on the "nervous" side. Very good acting of the main hero (Masahiro Motoki) and his wife (Ryoko Hirosue).

Love never fails.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2010, 01:51:20 AM »

Whenever I get the chance, I go down to the next movie on the IMDB top 250 list.  Next in the list is "Rear Window" (1954).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:51:39 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2010, 01:37:43 PM »

Whenever I get the chance, I go down to the next movie on the IMDB top 250 list.  Next in the list is "Rear Window" (1954).

I love Rear Window. It is my favorite Hitchcock film; it is a masterpiece. James Stewart is also one of my favorite actors.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »

I recently saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I thought that it was pretty awesome.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »

I recently saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I thought that it was pretty awesome.

I saw it over the weekend, and I like it. I also like the book of Eli. It seemed strange and some what out of place in our now extreme secular culture.....but I liked it.

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »

I saw it over the weekend, and I like it. I also like the book of Eli. It seemed strange and some what out of place in our now extreme secular culture.....but I liked it.

ICXC NIKA
My youner brother told me that the Book of Eli was great, so I am gonna give it a shot.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2010, 12:47:52 AM »

oh man...that was a good movie.  And the most hilarious scene, I must say, was when Holmes needed to be released free from the bed.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2010, 01:57:14 AM »

Hitchcock did some gr8 stuff. And Grace Kelly is wonderful in this film.

Proverbs 22:7
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2010, 02:23:52 AM »

oh man...that was a good movie.  And the most hilarious scene, I must say, was when Holmes needed to be released free from the bed.

laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2010, 06:27:24 PM »

I just went and saw "Up In The Air." A very good movie. I usually avoid anything with George Clooney, but the reviews were good and it seemed like an intriguing story line. I was not disappointed. This movie is not for fans of action, special effects, etc. But if you like good human interest drama, this one is worth seeing.

(Do be aware that there is some profanity and brief nudity.)

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »

I just went and saw "Up In The Air." A very good movie. I usually avoid anything with George Clooney, but the reviews were good and it seemed like an intriguing story line. I was not disappointed. This movie is not for fans of action, special effects, etc. But if you like good human interest drama, this one is worth seeing.

(Do be aware that there is some profanity and brief nudity.)

Selam

I'm the opposite.  I'll see anything with George Clooney in it and will no doubt see this soon (assuming it stays in the theaters until I find the time to go!).

He is the 21st century Cary Grant (another actor whose films I will not hesitate to see!)

And yes, I know I'm prattling on like a school girl.  None of you can point out anything my wife hasn't already regarding my man-crush on Clooney and Grant Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »

One of the next movies I should be getting from Netflix is a film called Nicholas and Alexandra which tells the story of the Tsar and his wife. Has anyone seen this? Thoughts?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2010, 08:14:22 PM »

Has anyone seen a movie called The Island? Its about a Russian Orthodox Monk.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2010, 08:29:34 PM »

Yes, its excellent. The Russian monk in the film is a portrayal of the Holy Fool for Christ.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2010, 08:33:12 PM »

Yes, its excellent. The Russian monk in the film is a portrayal of the Holy Fool for Christ.
My friend, who is the youth minister at my parish, wants me to watch it.

iustinos

Jurisdiction: GOA

OC.net

« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »

One of the next movies I should be getting from Netflix is a film called Nicholas and Alexandra which tells the story of the Tsar and his wife. Has anyone seen this? Thoughts?

Having read Robert Massie's book, on which the movies is very loosely based, and having a devotion to the Royal Martyrs, I was not impressed with the movie.  Especially the part at the end where one of the Grand Duchesses is so upset that she will die a virgin that she feels the need to disrobe for one of the soldiers, albeit briefly.  It is a very Hollywood-ized telling of their saintly lives, and not good for inducing piety.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2010, 09:11:17 PM »

My friend, who is the youth minister at my parish, wants me to watch it.

You should, it is very good.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »

Having read Robert Massie's book, on which the movies is very loosely based, and having a devotion to the Royal Martyrs, I was not impressed with the movie.  Especially the part at the end where one of the Grand Duchesses is so upset that she will die a virgin that she feels the need to disrobe for one of the soldiers, albeit briefly.  It is a very Hollywood-ized telling of their saintly lives, and not good for inducing piety.

Ah, thats what I was wondering. I figured it would have Hollywood twists in it.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »

Mel Brooks:  The Producers, both the 2005 remake starring Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, and Uma Thurman, and the original 1968 version starring Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel.

Classic Mel Brooks humor (though it's certainly not the kind of humor you'd want your young children to see Embarrassed)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:46 PM »

The last time I was in CD Warehouse, I noticed a DVD collection for sale titled The Mel Brooks Collection. It included just about everything he's known for... except Spaceballs. What's up with that?

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2010, 12:41:16 AM »

The last time I was in CD Warehouse, I noticed a DVD collection for sale titled The Mel Brooks Collection. It included just about everything he's known for... except Spaceballs. What's up with that?

As long as it has Blazing Saddles in it at least which I think is one of the most hilarious movies ever made.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »

The Blu-Ray edition includes Spaceballs.

http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Brooks-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B002PHI2N8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264794695&sr=1-2

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

So now all I need is a Blu-ray player...  angel

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »

I've been watching several really great movies that I checked out from the local library.  First:  "Elizabeth: The Golden Age".  this is full of historic facts and fiction which makes it a great movie.  it makes me proud to be 1/8 English! 

Second:  I got this really awesome movie starring Ingrid Bergman (my favorite actress) caled "Cactus Flower."  it takes place in 1969 New York City.  A girl falls in love with a dentist who lies about having a wife.  he has his assistant pretent to be his wife so she can meet her.  a great romantic comedy.

I have also been watching my favorites every now and again:  Titanic, Amadeus, VanHelsing, etc.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »

As long as it has Blazing Saddles in it at least which I think is one of the most hilarious movies ever made.

I agree!  Blazing Saddles is the best! Cheesy

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »

Lesya and I just came back from a theatre where we watched "Avatar." We loved it! Even though Star Wars type of movie is not our thing, we - both diehard pacifists and haters of the American militarism - loved its strong "Yankee Go Home" message. Go Cameron! Old buddy, you rock!

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2010, 04:46:20 AM »

Mel Brooks:  The Producers, both the 2005 remake starring Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, and Uma Thurman, and the original 1968 version starring Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel.

Classic Mel Brooks humor (though it's certainly not the kind of humor you'd want your young children to see Embarrassed)
Interesting... Undecided  The actor who played one of my favorite TV characters, Captain Jack Harkness, in my favorite TV series, Doctor Who, also made a cameo appearance in the 2005 film musical version of The Producers.  This actor, John Barrowman, played the bleach blonde lead tenor Nazi storm trooper who announced Hitler's appearance in the show within the show, Springtime for Hitler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KafHGjNjSCM

CAUTION:  Some may find images in the above video offensive; therefore, viewer discretion is advised.
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2010, 08:29:52 AM »

I haven't really watched any films lately. Picked up a copy of Julie & Julia yesterday whilst at the electronics shop. I don't know when I will get to it though, as this week is going to be a non-stop roller coaster for the most part..... to much to do, and not enough time!

Has anyone seen this film? I read Julia's recently released memoirs, so I'm hoping the movie is just as good.

I may pick up a DVD of OSTROV at the local Orthodox book shop to watch during Lent.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:30:39 AM by thetraditionalfrog » Logged

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »

Has anyone seen this film? I read Julia's recently released memoirs, so I'm hoping the movie is just as good.

Delightful movie. Meryl Streep is as magnificent as always. It must have been quite a challenge to add six+ inches to her height! As usual, those who know the "real" story will likely quibble about details, but it's a movie, not a documentary. I did find the ending a bit flat. The epilogue did nothing for the story, which should have ended at the party.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »

I haven't watched any movies in quite a while, but I've been DVR'ing various TV shows, and watching them when I get the chance. Some of the shows that I can think of...

Biggest Loser
Chopped
Kitchen Nightmares
American Idol
Launch My Line
Worst Cooks in America (I have the finale DVR'd, but haven't watched it yet)

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »

I haven't watched any movies in quite a while, but I've been DVR'ing various TV shows, and watching them when I get the chance. Some of the shows that I can think of...

Biggest Loser
Chopped
Kitchen Nightmares
American Idol
Launch My Line
Worst Cooks in America (I have the finale DVR'd, but haven't watched it yet)

Wow....what a clear pattern of reality shows.  Don't you get bored of them after a while?  I figured they would be a fad by now.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »

Wow....what a clear pattern of reality shows.  Don't you get bored of them after a while?  I figured they would be a fad by now.

I'm not really bored, no. But then I never was interested in most of these reality/competition type shows until maybe 1-2 years ago, so it's still sort of new to me. Probably the longest I've been watching that type of show would be Top Chef, which I've watched for maybe 4 years now. Funny thing is, when the whole reality show craze was starting (Survivor, Big Brother, etc.) I couldn't stand reality shows. Another pattern is food shows, which made up half of my list, and I could have added other shows to the list like Hell's Kitchen (when it's on), Good Eats, etc.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »

I bought Saw VI on DVD today, and just got done watching it. Not my favorite Saw, but I've enjoyed most of the movies in this franchise (yes, I have bad taste), and this one was no different. The social commentary about insurance companies seemed simultaneously artificial and obvious, but the points made were still valid ones. And while I watch movies almost always for entertainment, and rarely to give me something to think about, I didn't mind the social commentary in this case. I would imagine that this movie would be more difficult to follow if you weren't familiar with the storylines created in earlier Saw movies, though, what with all the flash backs and referencing old characters and events and such.

I flirted with the idea of buying the movie on Blu-ray. Of course, I don't actually own a Blu-ray player, so I would have had to have bought that as well. And I don't own an HDTV either Cheesy So essentially I'd be buying the Blu-ray stuff mostly in anticipation of getting a better TV sometime around mid-summer. But I'm not exactly rolling in cash, especially after my recent computer purchase, so I just stuck with the DVD.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »

I flirted with the idea of buying the movie on Blu-ray. Of course, I don't actually own a Blu-ray player, so I would have had to have bought that as well. And I don't own an HDTV either Cheesy So essentially I'd be buying the Blu-ray stuff mostly in anticipation of getting a better TV sometime around mid-summer. But I'm not exactly rolling in cash, especially after my recent computer purchase, so I just stuck with the DVD.
We bought a Blu-Ray player before we had an HDTV, mostly in anticipation that we would eventually be going high-definition. We went with the PlayStation 3, due to its compatibility with all Blu-Ray discs (not true of all Blu-Ray players), wireless broadband, and ability to play games. Even without the games, though, it's a great Blu-Ray player, and as it is now $300, it's a great deal. But as I see you have a Sten avatar, you're going to want to play games on a PlayStation 3.

We noticed immediately that Blu-Ray movies did look better than DVDs, even on our SDTV, probably due to the fact that they are uncompressed, unlike DVDs. Eventually we got an HDTV, and Blu-Ray looks awesome. Our DVDs look better, as well. We mostly keep our old DVDs and just buy in Blu-Ray movies we don't already own, but a few (such as the Star Trek: The Next Generation movies) have warranted an upgrade.

Just some things to think about when you get some spare cash.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:34:27 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2010, 05:20:40 PM »

Interesting... Undecided  The actor who played one of my favorite TV characters, Captain Jack Harkness, in my favorite TV series, Doctor Who, also made a cameo appearance in the 2005 film musical version of The Producers.  This actor, John Barrowman, played the bleach blonde lead tenor Nazi storm trooper who announced Hitler's appearance in the show within the show, Springtime for Hitler.

How about that!  I'll have to watch the video link when I get home.  Cap'n Jack is also one of my favorite characters and I've heard great things about Barrowman's tenor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2010, 10:56:20 PM »

I've been watching The Tudors season 3. This season is a marked improvement over the previous 2 seasons, which, while very entertaining, were pretty bad.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: