OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 01:30:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 133298 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 06:08:15 PM »

Just got done watching Revenge of the Nerds.

That one falls in the "love it despite how terrible it is" category (at least for me).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »

Slumdog Millionaire. I have a tendency to think that films that win as many awards as this one must be overrated, but honestly, it was quite good.

I was also thinking that before watching it; I was pleasantly surprised, though, by the quality.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2009, 07:59:25 PM »

That one falls in the "love it despite how terrible it is" category (at least for me).

Revenge of the Nerds is like my intellectual compass in a world I do not understand...  Grin

And I'm currently watching an even sillier movie: Pumping Iron with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Large Marge sent me...
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »

Best Arnie movie is, by far, Commando  laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 05:03:02 AM »

Best Arnie movie is, by far, Commando 

Didn't see that one... Though I do think that my not being exposed to a lot of Arnold, Stallone, etc. early in life is a primary reason that I still have a few brain cells left... On the other hand, considering what types of movies I watch these days...  Grin

Over the weekend I caught bits and pieces of An Inconvenient Truth by Algore. I also caught the end of Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, which I've been meaning to watch for years now. Wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but then Troma movies rarely are (for me, anyway).

Large Marge sent me...
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 05:16:13 AM »

If anyone sees Pirate Radio or The Stepfather, let me know. I'm thinking about seeing these. They're both new in theaters now, but I don't want to waste money if they aren't good. The reviews I read seem pretty favorable though.

I'm definitely going to see The Blind Side soon.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 05:58:22 AM »

just watched Mongol, Thank You For Smoking and The Incredibles all for the first time over the past few days while I've been home sick with the flu. Undecided

Actually, who am kidding with that smiley?  It's been pretty fun! Grin
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 06:15:06 AM »

I tried to watch the last Star Trek movie last night.  Super boring.  Super ridiculous.  The plot was dumb and the dialogue was forced and jerky.  I don't know if it was the script or not, but the actors seemed to have as much range as a Daisy BB gun.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 05:27:49 PM »

I tried to watch the last Star Trek movie last night.  Super boring.  Super ridiculous.  The plot was dumb and the dialogue was forced and jerky.  I don't know if it was the script or not, but the actors seemed to have as much range as a Daisy BB gun.

you've got to be kidding.  I'm a life long Star Trek fan and this was the most fun I have had watching Star Trek since season 6 of Deep Space Nine which was 12  years ago!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2009, 06:24:37 AM »

Watched some of Army of Darkness tonight, mostly while playing Civ IV and waiting for the computer players to take their turn.

Large Marge sent me...
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2009, 07:06:05 AM »

Selam
My wife and I saw The Blind Side a couple of days ago (local cinema has half-price admission on Tuesdays). A delightful "feel good" type movie. Not great theatrically, but enjoyable. Hollywood glosses over but doesn't quite eliminate the central family's (Evangelical) Christian faith.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2009, 10:49:48 PM »

No movies lately, but Comcast has some TV shows on their "On Demand" thing, so I've somewhat caught up on two TV shows I hadn't watched all season: Top Chef and Biggest Loser, both of which have their season finales next week. This will be the first time since season 3 that I didn't follow Top Chef all the way through from the beginning of the season. I'm probably spending too much time on the computer!

Large Marge sent me...
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2009, 12:38:06 AM »

My sons and I just got back from watching The Blind Side. A very entertaining movie. I'd give it a solid "B" or "B+." Be cautious if you are taking children under the age of 16 or 17, because there are a few intense seens with some graphic language and sexual references. But I really liked this movie!

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2009, 01:11:23 AM »

An old classic:  El Cid with Charlton Heston (Eternal Memory) and Sophia Loren.  Great movie.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2009, 02:39:24 AM »

The Island great flick so far.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2009, 11:01:57 PM »

Watched the movie Bigger Stronger Faster today. It's a documentary about steroids, that tries to look at both sides of the issue, as well as other "enhancements" people use (from pills to surgery), the dietary supplement industry, the hypocrisy of Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc. It was actually a very even-handed and thoughtful movie, and I've seen people on both sides of the issue (both for and against steroids) recommend the movie. One of the more memorable scenes comes at the end. The director and guy driving the movie (e.g. doing the voice overs, conducting the interviews, etc.), does not use steroids, but his two brothers do. One of his brothers wants to have a second child, and his wife is against his usage of steroids. So the brother agrees to quit using them. However, in a private scene, when the wife is not present, the brother admits that he'll start using steroids again at some point in the future, and implies that he's willing to lie to his wife about it. In essence, he's addicted, perhaps not chemically, but at least psychologically. The drug gives him an edge, and he won't take the chance of losing that edge, even if it will mean possibly losing his family. It was a sad scene to watch, and it was doubly sad because, not long after this film was released, one of the director's brothers dies in a rehab clinic at the age of 37.

Large Marge sent me...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2009, 11:03:04 PM »

Wife rented Night at the Museum II.

---------------------
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2009, 01:27:31 AM »

Rasputin last night and A Christmas Carol tonight.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2009, 01:31:22 AM »

An old classic:  El Cid with Charlton Heston (Eternal Memory) and Sophia Loren.  Great movie.

Nice.  It's kinda sad movies like this aren't made much any more.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »

Question...has anyone heard about ch.131.com ..there showing the New twilight movie there  ,even though its still in the theaters..i watched it on line ,,didn't care for it..i didn't download it  in case its illegal don't want to get into trouble...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2009, 07:39:44 AM »

Question...has anyone heard about ch.131.com ..there showing the New twilight movie there  ,even though its still in the theaters..i watched it on line ,,didn't care for it..i didn't download it  in case its illegal don't want to get into trouble...

My PC security is Trend Micro's PC-cillin.  It lists this site as "dangerous"...

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2009, 08:16:33 AM »

My PC security is Trend Micro's PC-cillin.  It lists this site as "dangerous"...

My free Avg anti virus scans web pages when  a google search is used ...so i ran  ch.131.com thru google search , avg showed a ok check mark that its safe ..i just don't click on everything there though ...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »

My Goal for Christmas Break: Watch all of the Lord of the Rings.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 12:57:28 AM »

The theatrical or the special edition, which is like 12 hours long for all three?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »

The theatrical or the special edition, which is like 12 hours long for all three?
Special edition of course. Smiley

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »

I watched The Cardinal last night. Its about a Catholic bishop who is on his way of becoming a cardinal and as the ceremony takes place his mind flashes back to all these various times in his life beginning with his ordination into the priesthood. It is a very good movie. I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:42:43 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »

Shoes of the fisherman , very scary ,religous art in the west started to decline.....

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2009, 07:15:23 PM »

Shoes of the fisherman , very scary ,religous art in the west started to decline.....
I would have thought your eyes would have started melting watching a movie about a Catholic.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:15:35 PM by Papist » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2009, 08:00:06 PM »

I would have thought your eyes would have started melting watching a movie about a Catholic.  Wink

ROFLMBO! That was fun-ny!  (No offense Stashko!  Smiley)

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2009, 08:08:59 PM »

I watched Taken the other day and loved it, loved it, loved it!!!  Smiley

Vlad
Elder

« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2009, 01:03:53 AM »

The Cardinal and Shoes of the Fisherman are very good movies love em.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2009, 01:12:24 AM »

Last night I watched Public Enemies tonight I am gonna watch Dillinger.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2009, 01:14:22 AM »

The only way to go. laugh
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »

Lucky me. I just found out that another of my friends loves these movies. I'm gonna have at least one companion during my movie marathon.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2009, 07:33:02 PM »

I have not seen Shoes of the Fisherman but I think I'm going to have to check it out. It looks good and plus I'm a huge Anthony Quinn fan so its one I'm going to watch.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:34:55 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2009, 08:06:53 PM »

I have not seen Shoes of the Fisherman but I think I'm going to have to check it out. It looks good and plus I'm a huge Anthony Quinn fan so its one I'm going to watch.

Hey, Anthony Quinn is my favorite actor! Have you seen Barrabas?

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2009, 08:40:35 PM »

Posse.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2009, 08:44:45 PM »

Selam
My wife and I saw The Blind Side a couple of days ago (local cinema has half-price admission on Tuesdays). A delightful "feel good" type movie. Not great theatrically, but enjoyable. Hollywood glosses over but doesn't quite eliminate the central family's (Evangelical) Christian faith.
Glosses over? It's pretty much front and center. Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2009, 01:50:38 AM »

Selam
Glosses over? It's pretty much front and center. Roll Eyes

I'd have to disagree. The centrality of their Christian faith was treated as an aside, not as the focal point of the movie. But I didn't mind that, because it wasn't intended to be a "Christian" movie. Although it would have been nice if they had emphasized it more.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2009, 02:58:41 AM »

Lucky me. I just found out that another of my friends loves these movies. I'm gonna have at least one companion during my movie marathon.
Thats good its always nice to have a friend or ten to watch these with.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2009, 09:42:10 AM »

What do you guys think of Lars von Trier films (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_von_Trier)? Lesya and I saw "The Element of Crime," "Breaking the Waves," "The Idiots," "Dancer in the Dark," "Dogville," and even though we sometimes do not quite like certain things in these films, we appreciate the scale of this artist. We also saw a few films directed by von Trier's disciples from the "Dogme95" group of cinematographers (can't recall the names of the directors right now, but do recall one name of the film, "(Name), The Donkey Boy" (about the inner world of a young man who has schizophrenia). 

Love never fails.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2009, 01:56:37 PM »

Hey, Anthony Quinn is my favorite actor! Have you seen Barrabas?

Selam

Barabbas is one of my favorite movies actually; it is such a great movie. I think it was my third film that I saw with Anthony Quinn in it. The first time I saw him was in Lawrence of Arabia in his classic performance as Auda Abu Tayi which made me become a huge fan of his. He is definitely one of my favorite actors.

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »

Somebody is stealing my Netflix movies out of my mailbox, and then returning them when they are done with them!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2009, 07:29:07 AM »

^ Someone other than you?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2009, 07:44:16 AM »

up date ...Iv been watching on Ch.131.com quite a lot of films that are still in the theaters..its a great place ...saves me having to go to blockbusters and renting them...
Question Huh anyone ,,,If one watches films on line that are still in the theaters is that considered illegal act...curious

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: