OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 02:04:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 118110 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: October 28, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »

Since we have categories for music and books, I thought we should start one for movies.

I just finished Hotel Rwanda starring Don Cheadle dealing with the Rwandan civil war between the Tutsis and Hutus which left 1,000,000 dead, often massacred and executed.  Don Cheadle gives a great performance as Paul Rusesabagina, a Hutu who provided shelter at the hotel he managed to over 1000 Tutsis who would have been summarily massacred by the Hutu Interhamwe. It'd be fair to call him the Oscar Schindler of the Rwandan genocide.   Nick Nolte gives a surprisingly good performance as well.  It's a tragic and sad story and I'd encourage you to watch it.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 03:05:53 PM »

I recently rented The Last King of Scotland from Netflix and both the wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I knew a little bit about Idi Amin before watching this and, IMHO, it really showed all sides of his terribly complex personality (or should I say personalitIES).  The acting was top-notch and the viewer can truly appreciate the effort it took to do things well.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »

I just watched Contact the other day.  Though it isn't the best movie, I would argue it has one of the most amazing introductions.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »

Now that I think about it, I probably haven't watched a movie for over a month now. I've mostly been watching sports, old episodes of Bones, and a few DVD's that came with music CD's I've received. I guess the last movie I watched was probably Evil Dead 2.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »

old episodes of Bones

Good to see another fan of Bones!  Now if only this boring baseball would end and new episodes would air.  Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »

My wife and I love movies, but we rarely watch stuff shown on TV or in movie theatres. Our main source of movies is Netflix. We receive about 4-5 films a month, on average. Our favorites are European classics: Antonioni, Fellini, Bergman, Buñuel, Godard, Tarkovsky.

Love never fails.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:33:04 PM »

I just watched Super Size Me last night for the first time.  It was fascinating to see and a real eye opener, even in this day and age.  

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 02:34:18 AM »

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman.  I also broke out the Alien franchise earlier this week, but I've hesitated to watch past the second one... the sequels were just so awful.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 03:32:17 AM »

I definitely reccomend Hotel Rwanda and The Last King of Scotland. Both very good movies.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 11:50:45 AM »

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman. 

I saw this a few years ago.  Definitely original but just too long and convoluted.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 07:18:40 AM »

Just finished up watching Return of the Living Dead, one of my favorite horror movies. Well, I was half watching it and half reading some books. I need to keep myself occupied for at least a few more hours before I go out, so I'm gonna put on This is Spinal Tap next, and then probably a music DVD like Megadeth's That One Night: Live in Buenos Aires.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 07:34:38 AM »

old episodes of Bones

Good to see another fan of Bones!  Now if only this boring baseball would end and new episodes would air.  Tongue

It's a good show; there are others I would consider better on TV now, but it's still a very enjoyable show to watch, and I would consider it an improvement from most TV nowadays.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »

We've been doing the Redbox rental thing, and enjoying it thoroughly.  A few days ago we got/watched (each for the first time) GI Joe (awesome) and Ice Age 3.

Also saw (first time) King Arthur on TV (Clive Owen as title character, Keira Knightley as Gueneviere) - not bad, not great.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »

Also saw (first time) King Arthur on TV (Clive Owen as title character, Keira Knightley as Gueneviere) - not bad, not great.

I absolutely despise Keira Knightley as an actress (and on a side note, I don't find her attractive in the least).  She was horrible and it made this movie, which potentially could have been very, very good into a less than mediocre affair.  The other actors employed were pretty good--Clive Owen, stellan Skaarsgard, Titus Pullo from Rome, etc. 

Speaking of Stellan Skaarsgard, I'm watching Goya's Ghosts which also stars Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) and Natalie Portman.  the movie is set in Spain at the time of the French revolution and the taking over by Napoleon.  Excellent film and directed by Milos Forman (Amadeus).

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 01:15:38 AM »

...so I'm gonna put on This is Spinal Tap next...

An absolute classic! Grin

Selam
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:16:46 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 08:40:48 AM »

An absolute classic!

Yeah, I watched it again today, great movie. Though right now I'm watching Saw IV, which considerably less people would consider a good movie, lol. Smiley

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »

DORK ALERT:
I just purchased the Voltron Movie, Fleet of Doom.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 11:03:35 PM »

I recently rented The Last King of Scotland from Netflix and both the wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I knew a little bit about Idi Amin before watching this and, IMHO, it really showed all sides of his terribly complex personality (or should I say personalitIES).  The acting was top-notch and the viewer can truly appreciate the effort it took to do things well.

I totally agree; great movie.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 11:10:22 PM »

^Yes, you are now officially confirmed a dork and a whole host of other things that no sane human being would want to be.   Grin

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »

I absolutely despise Keira Knightley as an actress (and on a side note, I don't find her attractive in the least). 

Dude, I'm gonna haveta take your man card away for awhile now.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 11:15:11 PM »

The couple of movies I recently saw were

The Bourne Identity  Great action movie.  I haven't seen the others yet...

Gran Turino.  Cannot recommend this one enough!  I can do the chick flick every now and then, but thank God for movies like this!  I mean Clint Eastwood; c'mon y'all!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:15:36 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 12:29:56 AM »

I absolutely despise Keira Knightley as an actress (and on a side note, I don't find her attractive in the least). 

Dude, I'm gonna haveta take your man card away for awhile now.

Natalie Portman > Keira Knightley Wink

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »

I'm sorry, but after her "acting" in Star Wars...  There is nothing attractive about Natalie Portman.   laugh

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 12:42:45 AM »

I'm sorry, but after her "acting" in Star Wars...  There is nothing attractive about Natalie Portman.   laugh

You feeling OK?  Smiley

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 12:45:33 AM »

You feeling OK?  Smiley

There is just too much inner nerd to allow that most grievous of sins to be forgiven.  Tongue

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 04:07:23 AM »

Does anyone know if Paranormal Activity is supposed to be good? Is it realistically done, or just a cheesy "gotcha!" flick?

I can't wait to see this one though: The Wolfman!
www.thewolfmanmovie.com

Selam

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:48 AM »

You feeling OK?  Smiley

There is just too much inner nerd to allow that most grievous of sins to be forgiven.  Tongue

Yeah but... Natalie Portman, dude.  She could give an 8 hour insurance seminar and I'd be in the front row.  Wink

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »

DORK ALERT:
I just purchased the Voltron Movie, Fleet of Doom

*sigh* Wish I had it.  I have 3 of the box sets of the show (Green, Blue, Yellow).

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 08:45:11 AM »

The Bourne Identity  Great action movie.  I haven't seen the others yet...

Get on it, man.  Go for the others.

Gran Turino.  Cannot recommend this one enough!  I can do the chick flick every now and then, but thank God for movies like this!  I mean Clint Eastwood; c'mon y'all!  Cheesy

Great flick.  Took a young adult group to see it - very thought provoking for them.  Loved it.

---------------------
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 08:48:01 AM »

"God on Trial" which is youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOHWNaN2NU8&feature=related

Proverbs 22:7
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »

When I went to bed last night I put on Redneck Zombies and put it on repeat. Does that count as watching it? I remember bits from here and there when I woke up throughout the night  Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »

Thank you for the link, Tallitot. At the moment I'm waiting for the 4th video to load on youtube. It has been an interesting movie.

Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 11:15:33 PM »

They aren't movies but I am watching the TV show Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett from the 80's and early 90's.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:19:09 PM by Vlad » Logged
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »

There not movies but I am watching the TV show Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett from the 80's and early 90's.

I loveloveLOVE these.  I have the complete set on dvd and they never. get. old. Smiley

I'm presently waiting for "Schultzie Gets the Blues" from Netflix, which I am eagerly waiting to watch.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »

You feeling OK?  Smiley

Agreed!

This video on youtube is proof enough: Bad Acting vs. Good Acting, a montage comparing Natalie Portman/Hayden Christensen and Olivia de Haviland/Clark Gable.

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 11:22:02 PM »

One of my favorites:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chinamovie4u#p/u
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 11:28:01 PM »

There not movies but I am watching the TV show Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett from the 80's and early 90's.

I loveloveLOVE these.  I have the complete set on dvd and they never. get. old. Smiley

Yep I have the set too. This is about my third time through them and they dont get old.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »

Finished watching this movie now. Some might not like the ending, but I nonetheless highly recommend the movie. First time I've been choked up by the conclusion of a movie in years  Shocked

Vlad
Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 11:32:17 PM »

I can't wait to see this one though: The Wolfman!
www.thewolfmanmovie.com

Selam

I have been waiting for the Wolfman for like a year.

One of the last movies I saw was How to Rob a Bank with the very hot Erika Christensen in it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:35:37 PM by Vlad » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 01:31:54 PM »

Just got done watching Revenge of the Nerds.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 09:32:17 PM »

Slumdog Millionaire. I have a tendency to think that films that win as many awards as this one must be overrated, but honestly, it was quite good.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »

The Fourth Kind.  I've seen some bad movies before, but wow...

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »

This video on youtube is proof enough: Bad Acting vs. Good Acting, a montage comparing Natalie Portman/Hayden Christensen and Olivia de Haviland/Clark Gable.

IT's Vivien Leigh, not Olivia de Haviland.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2009, 12:20:48 AM »

But have you seen her in Goya's Ghosts (excellent film, btw) and V for Vendetta?  She was great in both of them.  Definitely made up (at least partially) for the abysmal crap that Star Wars I-III is.  Though she wasn't acting badly in it; she was given crap to work with.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »

The Fourth Kind.  I've seen some bad movies before, but wow...
Well if you go see paranomal acitivity you may seen an even worse movie.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: