Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 910023 times)

Offline PorphyriosK

• High Elder
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #3510 on: March 14, 2019, 11:14:08 PM »
I showed my family Bladerunner for the first time - they all hated it.
But I still like it.

I can understand their reaction.  I'm a fan myself, but I'd say it's not one for the casual movie audience.  It's really an art film.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #3511 on: March 15, 2019, 12:27:07 AM »
Just saw "Greta" the other day. Wow, wow, wow. Crimony pete. Lots of plot twists, especially toward the end. Isabelle Huppert does the best job as a villain that I've seen in a long time. Definitely not for kids, but a great film.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:27:32 AM by biro »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3512 on: March 16, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »
Posted this on FB and I think Iconodule would get a kick out of it: it's crazy to think that Gladiator was a 100 million dollar martial arts movie set in Ancient Rome with tons of Hollywood sanctimonious cheese.

Have you seen 13 Assassins? Talk about samurai sleaze not seen since the 70s/80s
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3513 on: March 16, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »
Another movie that was a lot of fun was Punisher: Warzone. I wish Hollywood kept making these kind of ultra violent, satisfying sleaze movies
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:21:50 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #3514 on: March 16, 2019, 11:28:05 PM »
Just got back from Captain Marvel. I liked it for the most part. I can see the pandery elements that other people don't care for, especially in the flashbacks, and the climax was a little too curb stomp-ish (and strangely anime-esque, not that that's necessarily a bad thing). I think most sane (emphasis on sane, I'm not talking about idiots online who won't like it no matter what) male moviegoers are fine with a lady hero nowadays and some of it feels like overcompensation (one of the biggest reasons I dislike Capt. Janeway, but then again that was the 90s).

Other than when she was hooked up to the Central Intelligence, I never really felt like Carol was in danger like I should have, and that's my main complaint about the movie (though I liked the way it averted some cliches like the "fight your mentor" thing and how it didn't just kill off Talos or Maria Rambeau after they'd served their plot purposes). Then again, maybe this is setting it up for how she'll struggle against Thanos in Endgame? On the other hand, she was a pretty fun character and the rest of the cast was good.

The aesthetic and music were wonderful, and it got laughs out of me several times.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3515 on: March 17, 2019, 02:05:35 AM »
I'll never understand the appeal of Marvel movies. I saw the original Avengers for the first time a few months ago and that movie sucked. Nothing ever happened, everything looked like garbage, there was no action, and the script was worse than a 90s cartoon.

I don't like how the CG looks in those movies too, like Black Panther's CG was terrible.

I'm not saying I don't like these films cause I'm some film snob, it's just whatever man.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3516 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:27 AM »
Posted this on FB and I think Iconodule would get a kick out of it: it's crazy to think that Gladiator was a 100 million dollar martial arts movie set in Ancient Rome with tons of Hollywood sanctimonious cheese.

I haven't really watched it since it came out. I remember enjoying it but I can believe your assessment.

Have you seen 13 Assassins? Talk about samurai sleaze not seen since the 70s/80s

I did but I actually don't remember much of it. Have you seen any other Miike films? He's very prolific and does all kinds of crazy stuff but (weird) sleaze is definitely one of his specialties.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3517 on: March 19, 2019, 10:47:47 AM »
Another movie that was a lot of fun was Punisher: Warzone. I wish Hollywood kept making these kind of ultra violent, satisfying sleaze movies

China seems to be pumping them out now (Operation Mekong, Wolf Warrior, etc).
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #3518 on: March 19, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »
My Friend Dahmer

Interesting, slow paced drama. I liked it. Just knowing the story of what he became provided all the creepiness that was necessary.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3519 on: March 19, 2019, 03:23:14 PM »
Went to see Wonder Park yesterday with my Mom. It was good.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3520 on: March 21, 2019, 09:45:38 AM »
Watching Akira for the first time in perhaps 15 years. I was obsessed with it in my tween years. It holds up and then some. Beautiful animation and attention to detail. So many wry bits that went over my head at the time. And of course the soundtrack is amazing. Together with Bladerunner this represents the pinnacle of 80's cyberpunk.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:47:43 AM by Iconodule »

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3521 on: March 28, 2019, 04:03:48 AM »
I have no optimism for the new Dune movie. I heard Hans Zimmer is scoring it and even casted Aquaman. It's going to suck. It's going to marketed as Star Wars for adults.

There is a 0% chance Warner Bros is going to allow the sandworms cleansing the world stuff with a manipulative protagonist who does exsctly that with no hesitation. Its doubtful WB would even fund a multi-part series with a climax that involves space Hitler smoking worm crap on a genocidal jihad across the universe. How could they slap him on a Slurpee cup?

And while I'm trashing Denis, BR2049 was a stupid pointless sequel that never should have been made. Arrival sucked too. Its basically a crappy remake of Contact with Jodie Foster.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:04:33 AM by RobS »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3522 on: March 29, 2019, 04:13:22 AM »
Starting the day with The Book of Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon short) is a good omen for the weekend. :laugh:
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline PorphyriosK

• High Elder
« Reply #3523 on: March 30, 2019, 09:48:44 AM »
I have no optimism for the new Dune movie. I heard Hans Zimmer is scoring it and even casted Aquaman. It's going to suck. It's going to marketed as Star Wars for adults.

There is a 0% chance Warner Bros is going to allow the sandworms cleansing the world stuff with a manipulative protagonist who does exsctly that with no hesitation. Its doubtful WB would even fund a multi-part series with a climax that involves space Hitler smoking worm crap on a genocidal jihad across the universe. How could they slap him on a Slurpee cup?

And while I'm trashing Denis, BR2049 was a stupid pointless sequel that never should have been made. Arrival sucked too. Its basically a crappy remake of Contact with Jodie Foster.

The remake/reboot trend is way past the point of being ridiculous.  Hardly an original thought exists in Hollywood.  All they want to do is try and top one another with how far they can push visual effects.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3524 on: April 01, 2019, 10:46:36 AM »
I love David Lynch's Dune but it can be hardly called the last cinematic word on the book. I'm not saying this one will be good but I can't dismiss it on principle. Chances are, though, their time and money would probably be better spent realizing Jodorowski's vision. If Gilliam's Don Quixote can finally get made, why not Jodorowski's Dune?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #3525 on: April 02, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »
If they'd made Jodorowski's Dune into an anime or something, it could have been done any time now lol.

Saw Aquaman. It... definitely wants to be a Marvel movie lol (right down to the synth-heavy score). The movie as a whole felt way overstuffed (Willem Defoe's character in particular just kind of stands there looking nonplused for most of it), but I enjoyed it and thought it had a pretty good emotional core for the most part. Then again, I'm an Aquaman fan. If you're on the hate train for him this movie will likely just confirm you in that opinion lol.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3526 on: April 02, 2019, 11:54:24 PM »
Saw 'Us.' It was very good.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3527 on: April 06, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »
Over the last week or so, The Crimes of Grindelwald, Hotel Transylvania III, Saving Private Ryan, The Addams Family, and Dunkirk. Having all our streaming (Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime) hooked up to the same place has been spoiling us for choice. ;D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • High Elder
  • Saint Thomas the Apostle, pray for me a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #3528 on: April 07, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »
I saw the Crimes of Grindelwald at my local movie theater with a friend. I don't think I've ever seen such a pointless movie in my life.
Lord have mercy

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3529 on: April 08, 2019, 03:00:36 PM »
I saw the Crimes of Grindelwald at my local movie theater with a friend. I don't think I've ever seen such a pointless movie in my life.

Nah, of the batch mentioned above, that honour goes to Dunkirk. Yawn.

Tonight, however, we're watching The House with a Clock in Its Walls and Cate Blanchett is absolutely slaying.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3530 on: April 08, 2019, 03:29:39 PM »
The Void was really good.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #3531 on: April 09, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
Ok, one part of the superhero movie hate train that I absolutely agree with is that I'm so done with DC's "let's pretend we're making serious psychological studies" thing regarding the Joker.

Pretty sure that no actual psychopath would behave like he does, at least not that consistently or on that scale. I enjoy Heath Ledger's Joker because of how over the top he is. He's essentially a movie monster-- like Hannibal Lecter or Leatherface. I don't enjoy him because I unironically think he "says a lot about our society."

DC seems determined to take everything else they can from Alan Moore, I wish they would take on board his disownment of the Killing Joke, too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:55:31 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #3532 on: April 10, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
Ok, one part of the superhero movie hate train that I absolutely agree with is that I'm so done with DC's "let's pretend we're making serious psychological studies" thing regarding the Joker.

Pretty sure that no actual psychopath would behave like he does, at least not that consistently or on that scale. I enjoy Heath Ledger's Joker because of how over the top he is. He's essentially a movie monster-- like Hannibal Lecter or Leatherface. I don't enjoy him because I unironically think he "says a lot about our society."

DC seems determined to take everything else they can from Alan Moore, I wish they would take on board his disownment of the Killing Joke, too.

I feel like due to the censorship of the 50s of Batman, Batman has subsequently existed in two manifestations - one which is bright, colorful, cartoony, and even a bit cheesy, and one which is really dark, "realistic," edgy, and "social commentary."

I honestly prefer the former one, and I wish DC Comics would give the former one a shot. I still need to see "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusader," but an actual budgeted movie would be nice - maybe without the cheesiness unless it's parody or tongue and cheek references to Adam West. While I still think that Heath Ledger is the best Joker, what makes him enjoyable for me is that his character distorts a lot of Cesar Romero's Joker, making him Psychopathic; and I much prefer Cesar Romero over Jack Nicholson.

Plus, it would be a nice spin to the cliche and over-saturated Marvel / DC formula of "we need to make these movies more realistic in effects and plot, but not too realistic" with desaturated colors of the rainbow and a massive emphasis of greys, browns, greens, and purples.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:33:59 PM by Eamonomae »
Lord have mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #3533 on: April 10, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »

I feel like due to the censorship of the 50s of Batman, Batman has subsequently existed in two manifestations - one which is bright, colorful, cartoony, and even a bit cheesy, and one which is really dark, "realistic," edgy, and "social commentary."

I honestly prefer the former one, and I wish DC Comics would give the former one a shot. I still need to see "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusader," but an actual budgeted movie would be nice. While I still think that Heath Ledger is the best Joker, what makes him enjoyable for me is that his character distorts a lot of Cesar Romero's Joker, while also taking what's best from the darker version of Batman - the psychopathy of the Joker; and I much prefer Cesar Romero over Jack Nicholson.

Plus, it would be a nice spin to the cliche and over-saturated Marvel / DC formula of "we need to make these movies more realistic in effects and plot, but not too realistic" with desaturated colors of the rainbow and a massive emphasis of greys, browns, greens, and purples.

I'm of two minds about that because I love both Brave and the Bold Batman AND DCAU Batman lol (and Mark Hamill will always be my true Joker even if I don't necessarily like everything they did with him in the video games). But I definitely see your point.

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #3534 on: April 10, 2019, 04:36:45 PM »
But does he have a white mustache?

I didn't think so.
Lord have mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #3535 on: April 10, 2019, 04:44:02 PM »
But does he have a white mustache?

I didn't think so.

The only true adaptation.

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #3536 on: April 10, 2019, 05:06:21 PM »
Not what I had in mind, but I love it.
Lord have mercy

Offline PorphyriosK

• High Elder
« Reply #3537 on: April 10, 2019, 10:53:09 PM »

I honestly prefer the former one, and I wish DC Comics would give the former one a shot. I still need to see "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusader," but an actual budgeted movie would be nice - maybe without the cheesiness unless it's parody or tongue and cheek references to Adam West. While I still think that Heath Ledger is the best Joker, what makes him enjoyable for me is that his character distorts a lot of Cesar Romero's Joker, making him Psychopathic; and I much prefer Cesar Romero over Jack Nicholson.

I thought they already did that in the 90's with "Batman and Robin".  The one with Jim Carrey as the Riddler.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3538 on: April 11, 2019, 09:39:55 AM »
They could always do Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Robin... "I'm the "G*****n Batman".

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #3539 on: April 11, 2019, 04:18:16 PM »

an Arabic Anti-Chalcedonian movie about Severus (with English subtitles)

فيلم تاج السريان | الأنبا ساويرس الأنطاكي | Movie El Anba Sawiros El Antaky | HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFLyGn46AYc
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #3540 on: April 11, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »
Only crazy people are anti-Chalcedonian, OOs are just non-Chalcedonian.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #3541 on: April 12, 2019, 04:42:36 AM »

And "anti" means in Greek actually "in place of" and it doesn't fit there..
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #3542 on: April 12, 2019, 07:37:07 AM »

And "anti" means in Greek actually "in place of" and it doesn't fit there..

It's kind of interesting to me how spatial metaphors get folded into language like that. "Anti" meaning "instead of" entering English as "the opposite of, contrary to." It's as though we're all moving little mental chess pieces around and setting them down next to each other.

You could write a whole book on PIE *Ant-

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #3543 on: April 12, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »

Eh...what about Ibas?
Lord have mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #3544 on: April 12, 2019, 02:26:23 PM »

Eh...what about Ibas?

He was a crazy person? I don't know. I was mainly talking about today.

I highly doubt most modern OOs have a lot of antipathy towards Chalcedon as such, they just don't want to get railroaded into signing unnecessary documents to "prove" themselves to the EO, but we should probably stop this for now in the thread.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3545 on: April 13, 2019, 01:35:10 AM »
Saw that new SW trailer and I hate it already. Everything JJ Abrams does is so on the nose.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #3546 on: April 13, 2019, 10:23:44 PM »
The Mummy Returns on AMC.  I <3 Rachel Weisz.
Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3547 on: April 17, 2019, 08:49:46 AM »
Coco. Beyond awesome.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3548 on: April 17, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
 I subscribed to Shudder, a streaming network for horror movies. It looks amazing. Haven't watched anything yet. Signed up yesterday.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #3549 on: May 08, 2019, 05:07:51 AM »
My Big Fat Greek Wedding - first time in my life! :D it's nice, light... Just I hate Polish translation ("Greek Catholic Church"!)

I actually can imagine me marrying a person or outside Polish/Serbian culture, or outside Orthodoxy (but still, has to be Christian!).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3550 on: May 08, 2019, 07:33:29 AM »
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
I still haven't seen it.   :D

My most recent was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3551 on: May 11, 2019, 08:15:01 AM »
It's the weekend before the young one's SATs, so, by teacher's orders, there's no study, only fun stuff, which today seems to be movies back-to-back. So far we've watched Coco (again), right now Christopher Robin, and afterwards it will be The Greatest Showman (again).

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #3552 on: May 13, 2019, 09:33:34 AM »
The Mule with Clint Eastwood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mule_(2018_film)

Tragic, moving, & funny at times.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3553 on: June 01, 2019, 03:37:36 PM »
Saw "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" last night.

Slow, confusing, but not bad. I liked the battle scenes.

Offline WPM

• Holy Catholic Jesus, Intercede with God for us.
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Catholic Pagan
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #3554 on: June 01, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »
Classical Western Movies.