Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 833028 times)

Offline PorphyriosK

• Elder
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #3510 on: March 14, 2019, 11:14:08 PM »
I showed my family Bladerunner for the first time - they all hated it.
But I still like it.

I can understand their reaction.  I'm a fan myself, but I'd say it's not one for the casual movie audience.  It's really an art film.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #3511 on: March 15, 2019, 12:27:07 AM »
Just saw "Greta" the other day. Wow, wow, wow. Crimony pete. Lots of plot twists, especially toward the end. Isabelle Huppert does the best job as a villain that I've seen in a long time. Definitely not for kids, but a great film.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:27:32 AM by biro »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Show me the meaning of the word

"You know, I don't know any writer who doesn't hate writing, so I guess what I'm saying is, I hate my life." - Lawrence O'Donnell

"I like fake violence and real peace." - John Fugelsang

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3512 on: March 16, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »
Posted this on FB and I think Iconodule would get a kick out of it: it's crazy to think that Gladiator was a 100 million dollar martial arts movie set in Ancient Rome with tons of Hollywood sanctimonious cheese.

Have you seen 13 Assassins? Talk about samurai sleaze not seen since the 70s/80s
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3513 on: March 16, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »
Another movie that was a lot of fun was Punisher: Warzone. I wish Hollywood kept making these kind of ultra violent, satisfying sleaze movies
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:21:50 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #3514 on: March 16, 2019, 11:28:05 PM »
Just got back from Captain Marvel. I liked it for the most part. I can see the pandery elements that other people don't care for, especially in the flashbacks, and the climax was a little too curb stomp-ish (and strangely anime-esque, not that that's necessarily a bad thing). I think most sane (emphasis on sane, I'm not talking about idiots online who won't like it no matter what) male moviegoers are fine with a lady hero nowadays and some of it feels like overcompensation (one of the biggest reasons I dislike Capt. Janeway, but then again that was the 90s).

Other than when she was hooked up to the Central Intelligence, I never really felt like Carol was in danger like I should have, and that's my main complaint about the movie (though I liked the way it averted some cliches like the "fight your mentor" thing and how it didn't just kill off Talos or Maria Rambeau after they'd served their plot purposes). Then again, maybe this is setting it up for how she'll struggle against Thanos in Endgame? On the other hand, she was a pretty fun character and the rest of the cast was good.

The aesthetic and music were wonderful, and it got laughs out of me several times.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3515 on: March 17, 2019, 02:05:35 AM »
I'll never understand the appeal of Marvel movies. I saw the original Avengers for the first time a few months ago and that movie sucked. Nothing ever happened, everything looked like garbage, there was no action, and the script was worse than a 90s cartoon.

I don't like how the CG looks in those movies too, like Black Panther's CG was terrible.

I'm not saying I don't like these films cause I'm some film snob, it's just whatever man.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3516 on: Yesterday at 10:42:27 AM »
Posted this on FB and I think Iconodule would get a kick out of it: it's crazy to think that Gladiator was a 100 million dollar martial arts movie set in Ancient Rome with tons of Hollywood sanctimonious cheese.

I haven't really watched it since it came out. I remember enjoying it but I can believe your assessment.

Have you seen 13 Assassins? Talk about samurai sleaze not seen since the 70s/80s

I did but I actually don't remember much of it. Have you seen any other Miike films? He's very prolific and does all kinds of crazy stuff but (weird) sleaze is definitely one of his specialties.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3517 on: Yesterday at 10:47:47 AM »
Another movie that was a lot of fun was Punisher: Warzone. I wish Hollywood kept making these kind of ultra violent, satisfying sleaze movies

China seems to be pumping them out now (Operation Mekong, Wolf Warrior, etc).
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #3518 on: Yesterday at 01:35:54 PM »
My Friend Dahmer

Interesting, slow paced drama. I liked it. Just knowing the story of what he became provided all the creepiness that was necessary.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #3519 on: Yesterday at 03:23:14 PM »
Went to see Wonder Park yesterday with my Mom. It was good.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Show me the meaning of the word

"You know, I don't know any writer who doesn't hate writing, so I guess what I'm saying is, I hate my life." - Lawrence O'Donnell

"I like fake violence and real peace." - John Fugelsang