Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 661140 times)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #3285 on: April 05, 2018, 02:18:09 PM »
Beats Per Minute

One of the most tragic movies I've seen for a while. Really liked it. No idea on how historic it was but the story was beautiful in a sense. Also, it was refreshing to see a movie without a single underclad female (but with lots of underclad men though).
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3286 on: April 09, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »
Willow

A childhood favorite. Does it stand up now? Not really, but it's still very enjoyable. The second half is definitely weaker. Warwick Davis is a sympathetic lead though he maybe spends too much time being cranky. I'm pretty sure Mad Mardigan is the only Val Kilmer role I've seen and liked. The Brownies are moderately funny at first but are pretty one-note and annoying by the end. The stop-motion animations (especially the two-headed dragon) are really good. Some will say "dated" but I think it's a shame that CGI has pretty much completely supplanted stop-motion for fantasy films. It has a dreamlike quality, in its simultaneous realism/unrealism, which CGI has never captured for me.

Theeb

A coming of age story about a Bedouin boy caught in the Arab revolt against the Ottomans. It's the same period covered in Lawrence of Arabia, but at much more local, intimate level.  Lovely photography of the Jordanian desert and mountains. One scene where Theeb falls into a well, and the sun rises over the opening, illuminating the underground sandstone cavern, is particularly striking. I liked it from beginning to end.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #3287 on: April 09, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »
Willow

A childhood favorite. Does it stand up now? Not really, but it's still very enjoyable. The second half is definitely weaker. Warwick Davis is a sympathetic lead though he maybe spends too much time being cranky. I'm pretty sure Mad Mardigan is the only Val Kilmer role I've seen and liked. The Brownies are moderately funny at first but are pretty one-note and annoying by the end. The stop-motion animations (especially the two-headed dragon) are really good.

My favorite part is that the dragon is called the "Ebersisk" in the script because George Lucas had some beef with Siskel and Ebert at the time. I forget what it was since they liked Star Wars (unlike Pauline Kael who got a bad guy named after her for panning it). Just reminds me that George has always been a bit of a manchild, not just in the Phantom Menace era.

Some will say "dated" but I think it's a shame that CGI has pretty much completely supplanted stop-motion for fantasy films. It has a dreamlike quality, in its simultaneous realism/unrealism, which CGI has never captured for me.

+1
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3288 on: April 09, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
+1 on most of the comments on Willow. Also, I am fascinated by certain kinds of morbid fictional transformations from humans to something else, and it was probably the pig scene in that movie that started that particular ball rolling. I remember playing the game on the NES as a kid as well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:38:06 PM by Asteriktos »
get rekt, nerd

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3289 on: April 09, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »
+1 on most of the comments on Willow. Also, I am fascinated by certain kinds of morbid fictional transformations from humans to something else, and it was probably the pig scene in that movie that started that particular ball rolling.

Yeah, same. Though I'm not sure what exactly did it for me (nowadays An American Werewolf in London is probably my favorite example, though I'm not nearly messed up enough to have seen that movie as a kid lol).

As I recall, movieguide once had a line cautioning parents against letting their kids watch the Tim Story Fantastic Four movie because fictional transformations will supposedly ruin their minds. I don't know what the reasoning for that was, if any.

I remember playing the game on the NES as a kid as well.

I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:57:04 PM by Volnutt »

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3290 on: April 09, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
Lol, I don't remember the game being awful, just confusing after a certain point, but YMMV.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of movieguide, are they creationist by chance? Maybe afraid of filling young minds with ideas that would come too close to apes becoming men? ???

I also remembered another movie with creepy transformations that I probably saw before Willow--Swamp Thing, and particularly the changing of the Big Bad and Bruno.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:26:46 PM by Asteriktos »
get rekt, nerd

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3291 on: April 09, 2018, 03:28:15 PM »
John Carpenter's the Thing might be the king of creepy transformations for me. Or a number of David Cronenberg films. 80's creature effects are the pinnacle, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:28:32 PM by Iconodule »
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3292 on: April 09, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »
Lol, I don't remember the game being awful, just confusing after a certain point, but YMMV.

Never played it myself, heh. Probably just giving too much credence to a bad review or LP I watched once.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of movieguide, are they creationist by chance? Maybe afraid of filling young minds with ideas that would come too close to apes becoming men? ???

They definitely are, yeah. So that might be it. I recall it was only justified with a vague "psychologists say" it might be harmful. This was in 2005 when the movie came out, but I wonder if anti-trans concerns were also already on their minds.

Of course, this is also the group that openly gives movies extra praise or censure for how pro-capitalist they are or aren't, so their recommendations don't mean a lot to me in general.

I also remembered another movie with creepy transformations that I probably saw before Willow--Swamp Thing, and particularly the changing of the Big Bad and Bruno.

Now that one I did see parts of as a kid (not the mysteriously PG topless scene, though). I remember being fascinated by the "Leech Man" in particular. Thanks for reminding me!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3293 on: April 09, 2018, 03:58:37 PM »
John Carpenter's the Thing might be the king of creepy transformations for me. Or a number of David Cronenberg films. 80's creature effects are the pinnacle, IMO.

Definitely (though in the case of the Thing, I sometimes wonder about James Rolfe's criticism that the effects are so gruesome that they actually disrupt the movie's atmosphere a bit).

Oh, on a different note, I wanted to ask you something else about Ready Player One. Does it include the book's little side comment about how Kevin Smith is one of the greatest directors ever lol?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3294 on: April 09, 2018, 04:03:52 PM »
No, and good gosh how did I miss that in the book? I would have burned it and utterly boycotted the film.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3295 on: April 09, 2018, 04:06:19 PM »
No, and good gosh how did I miss that in the book? I would have burned it and utterly boycotted the film.

Well, it was only like three words in the middle of Wade's holy litany of the homework that Halliday's vlogs gave him.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3296 on: April 09, 2018, 04:17:50 PM »

Definitely (though in the case of the Thing, I sometimes wonder about James Rolfe's criticism that the effects are so gruesome that they actually disrupt the movie's atmosphere a bit).

I feel like the effects are integral to the atmosphere. I read Who Goes There? a few years back and was struck by how fairly faithful Carpenter was in the essentials. As far as the gore goes I felt like Campbell was being a bit restrained but a certain gruesomeness seems inherent to the alien's activity.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3297 on: April 09, 2018, 04:21:57 PM »
Ah, ok. That makes sense.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #3298 on: April 09, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »
Saw "Isle of Dogs" yesterday. It was very good.

Also saw "The Limehouse Golem" yesterday. It was good too.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3299 on: April 14, 2018, 07:27:48 PM »
The Princess Bride
get rekt, nerd

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3300 on: April 16, 2018, 02:53:57 PM »
The Assassin AKA 刺客聶隱娘 (2015). For a wuxia film featuring imperial intrigue, black magic, and a killer Daoist nun, this is very, very understated. The dialogue is sparse and most of the soundtrack consists of bird cries. It's set in the Tang dynasty, with one slow, beautiful scene after another, ranging from sumptuous silk-curtained courts to pastel forests and rustic villages. The plot is almost besides the point. The politics in the background seem almost deliberately obscure and a lot of the action has fairly ambiguous motive. I loved it; others might be bored to tears.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3301 on: April 24, 2018, 03:15:41 AM »
My dad and I have been going back through the episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 that I own. Something I never really noticed about 1948's Last of the Wild Horses (not a good movie at all- far longer than it needs to be, badly plotted, so boring that the riffs barely even save it) is that one of the characters remarks that the deputies are basically using "resisting arrest" as "legalized murder."

Maybe I'm myopic or something, but it was really interesting to me that someone in the 40s would make an argument like that anticipating a lot of conversations we have today.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:16:38 AM by Volnutt »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3302 on: April 28, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »
Recently watched The Others. One of the best horror movies (if one can classify it that way) I've seen in my entire life. The end is so mindblowing, and simultaneously depressing and lovely.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3303 on: April 28, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
Recently watched The Others. One of the best horror movies (if one can classify it that way) I've seen in my entire life. The end is so mindblowing, and simultaneously depressing and lovely.

I remember liking it a lot, yeah.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3304 on: April 28, 2018, 09:15:38 PM »
This sums up much of why Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite movies.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3305 on: April 28, 2018, 10:16:19 PM »
The Others was good, but I hated it anyway.  :D  I feel like I should remember watching Princess Mononoke, but I don't.

Currently watching Funny Face with a gin and tonic.   :angel:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3306 on: April 28, 2018, 10:20:59 PM »
Sick of staring at Nicole Kidman's face? :P

Anyway, Mononoke's worth a second watch if only for the beautiful scenery (Claire Danes's voice performance is probably the movie's biggest flaw, but I've never felt like it was a deal breaker, to be honest).

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3307 on: April 29, 2018, 12:20:02 AM »
Nah; I'm not sure there was that much I saw her in.  Apart from Eyes Wide Shut, I can't think of another move I've seen her in.  But I never tried all that hard to keep up with the latest movies or the latest Hollywood drama.  It's hard to get tired of people I intentionally ignore.   ;D  It was done well, I just dislike horror.  Less so than when I saw it, but it's still probably my least favorite genre.

I'd have to watch Princess Mononoke for real and see what I thought.  I'm having a hard time imagining her voice in an anime, though.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #3308 on: April 29, 2018, 12:55:57 AM »
Just saw Infinity War. It was good.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #3309 on: April 29, 2018, 02:09:12 AM »

I started it twice, but it was way too slow for me. And I usually like slow paced films. Maybe I need to try it again.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3310 on: April 29, 2018, 02:23:38 AM »
Nah; I'm not sure there was that much I saw her in.  Apart from Eyes Wide Shut, I can't think of another move I've seen her in.  But I never tried all that hard to keep up with the latest movies or the latest Hollywood drama.  It's hard to get tired of people I intentionally ignore.   ;D  It was done well, I just dislike horror.  Less so than when I saw it, but it's still probably my least favorite genre.

I'd have to watch Princess Mononoke for real and see what I thought.  I'm having a hard time imagining her voice in an anime, though.

The answer is monotone. It's monotone. I really hate it when animated movies (dubbed or not) slight actual working voice actors in favor of celebrities with little experience in the subtleties of that kind of acting (Mark Hamill of course, being one of the great exceptions that proves the rule- and he does actually voice the bad guy in Castle in the Sky). Doesn't help that Billy Bob Thornton is another rule in Mononoke.

But I'm not a sub-snob just because I have a hard time focusing on the animation, spoken dialog, and reading at the same time. It almost gives me vertigo.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:24:37 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3311 on: May 18, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
The wife and I have been watching a lot of Harrison Ford movies for some reason (Regarding Henry, Last Crusade, Clear and Present Danger) and decided to try K-19: The Widowmaker as neither of us had seen it before.

I was able to stomach and overlook the fake Russian accent thing but at a certain point my wife said, "This is too stupid" and put something else on. She was of course correct. If the story is going to have characters of X nationality but with native English-speaking actors, speaking in English for the benefit of the audience, don't make them use X accent. Enemy at the Gates did the right thing here by not making Jude Law, Rachel Weisz, Joseph Fiennes, etc. speak in fake accents.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:44:28 AM by Iconodule »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3312 on: May 18, 2018, 10:58:54 AM »
Yeah, the accent was by far the worst part of that movie. I saw it theaters and remember just being bored by most of the rest of it, of course for some reason taut military thrillers are hard for me to pay attention to at the best of times. Not sure why.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Chicago
« Reply #3313 on: May 18, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4698684/
Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Its a good movie about a foster kid who ends up on the run in the new zealand outback wuth gis uncle. Family friendly and has a good plot and i believe its on prime or netflix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDDGl79x4Pc
Know your enemy video series about the coming new world order from a biblical viewpoint. Im 7 episodes in (maybe 10 to 20 mins each) and very informative.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora%27s_Box_(TV_series)
Pandoras box bbc documentary, its on YouTube and has some good info on communism, nuclear weapons, americas game plan, and the insights into the Rand corp/deepstate in charge of our country. It has several episodes.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3314 on: May 18, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »
Maybe I'm a sucker, but A.X.L. actually looks pretty good to me.

Who's a good little hellbeast off a heavy metal album cover? Who's a good little hellbeast off a heavy metal album cover? That's right, YOU ARE! YES!!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3315 on: May 21, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »
I've started watching Operation Mekong on Netflix. If you ever wonder what happened to good old jingoistic, dumb, but oh-so-fun 80's American action movies, the answer is that they moved to China.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3316 on: May 21, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »
I've started watching Operation Mekong on Netflix. If you ever wonder what happened to good old jingoistic, dumb, but oh-so-fun 80's American action movies, the answer is that they moved to China.

See also Amerigeddon, the movie so great that Alex Jones just had to cameo.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3317 on: May 23, 2018, 12:00:42 AM »
After watching this review, I want to get my hands on the Ugandan action movie Who Killed Captain Alex

I've honestly got a lot of respect for the guy who directed it, Nabwana Isaac Godfrey Geoffrey, he seems like a real sincere dude. It must take a lot of guts to sell everything you own to buy a video camera, especially in a third world country.

It even comes with a panpipes cover of Seal's Kiss From a Rose and its own built in rifftrack (which is apparently a common thing there called a Video Joker)!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:07:26 AM by Volnutt »