OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:28:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 118852 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #990 on: November 27, 2011, 08:13:11 PM »

Quote from: Volnutt
Wow! Just like my hero, Rick Pino! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ1diGCosjQ

Wow. That was awful. Some good videos came up with the search function in the sidebar, too.   Cheesy

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #991 on: November 27, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »

How do they all fit?

Pagan distractions from the Nativity of our Lord and Savior!

Hey, I'll have you know that, 1. Pulp Fiction contains Bible quotes. 2. Neo is a self-sacrificing Christ-figure. 3. There's Seven Dwarves. The significance is obvious.

I've sent off my proposal to the heads of the various jurisdictions that these become required viewing for the Nativity season and expect my response soon.

You have a brilliant career ahead of you as a mega-church AV worship leader.

Never gets old. ROFL!

WTH?!?! And people wonder how Hitler was able to pull off what he did? Frankly, it is more amazing to me that this guy got people to take off their shoes and twirl their socks in the air to that misagos of a song than anything //:=| did.

Truly EPIC.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #992 on: November 27, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »

How do they all fit?

Hey, I'll have you know that, 1. Pulp Fiction contains Bible quotes. 2. Neo is a self-sacrificing Christ-figure. 3. There's Seven Dwarves. The significance is obvious.

I've sent off my proposal to the heads of the various jurisdictions that these become required viewing for the Nativity season and expect my response soon.

Never gets old. ROFL!

WTH?!?! And people wonder how Hitler was able to pull off what he did? Frankly, it is more amazing to me that this guy got people to take off their shoes and twirl their socks in the air to that misagos of a song than anything //:=| did.

Truly EPIC.

It is pretty scary lol.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #993 on: November 27, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »

Quote from: Volnutt

Wow. That was awful. Some good videos came up with the search function in the sidebar, too.   Cheesy
THAT VIDEO.

Never stops giving me nightmares. I really pray that I would not have been the person hopping around and waving. Who am I kidding -- I probably would have been.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #994 on: November 27, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »

"The Lost World" (1960). Pitting two lizards, with glued on paper frills, against each other for the "dinosaur" fight scene was inexcusable and obviously the "no animals were hurt..." clause has to have been missing from the credits.
Not the first time, sadly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruelty_to_animals#TV_.26_film_making

Real film makers harm humans, not animals, to make their films:

In his autobiographical film Portrait Werner Herzog, Herzog has stated that the film's spectacular production was partly inspired by the engineering feats of ancient standing stones. The film production was an incredible ordeal, and famously involved moving a 320-ton steamship over a hill without the use of special effects. Herzog believed that no one had ever performed a similar feat in history, and likely never will again, calling himself "Conquistador of the Useless".[4] Three similar-looking ships were bought for the production and used in different scenes and locations, including scenes that were shot aboard the ship while it crashed through rapids, injuring three of the six people involved in the filming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzcarraldo#Production

It was either in Fitzcarraldo or Aguirre the Wrath of God in which he threatened to shoot Klaus Kinski if he hadn't gotten back to acting.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #995 on: November 28, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »

Last night me and Dee watched An American Tale: Fievel Goes West

Forgive my sins.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #996 on: November 28, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »

"The Lost World" (1960). Pitting two lizards, with glued on paper frills, against each other for the "dinosaur" fight scene was inexcusable and obviously the "no animals were hurt..." clause has to have been missing from the credits.
Not the first time, sadly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruelty_to_animals#TV_.26_film_making

In his autobiographical film Portrait Werner Herzog, Herzog has stated that the film's spectacular production was partly inspired by the engineering feats of ancient standing stones. The film production was an incredible ordeal, and famously involved moving a 320-ton steamship over a hill without the use of special effects. Herzog believed that no one had ever performed a similar feat in history, and likely never will again, calling himself "Conquistador of the Useless".[4] Three similar-looking ships were bought for the production and used in different scenes and locations, including scenes that were shot aboard the ship while it crashed through rapids, injuring three of the six people involved in the filming

It was either in Fitzcarraldo or Aguirre the Wrath of God in which he threatened to shoot Klaus Kinski if he hadn't gotten back to acting.

During Fitzcarraldo, the local tribesman offered to kill Kinski for Herzog.

"My Best Fiend" is still one of my favorite documentaries ever.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #997 on: November 28, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »

A fine, fine film.

Waiting to see his latest.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #998 on: November 28, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »

Yeah, it was Aguirre where Herzog threatened to shoot Kinski.  (Actually, according to Wikipedia Herzog denies this saying he only verbally threatened him.)  In that same movie some of the actors were making too much noise so he fired three rounds into the hut.

But all the same, those two had such chemistry in movies.  I haven't seen Fitzcarraldo yet but certainly need to.  I have seen almost all of the others they did together (Nosferatu, Cobra Verde, and Aguirre).
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #999 on: November 28, 2011, 06:39:09 PM »

Yeah, it was Aguirre where Herzog threatened to shoot Kinski.  (Actually, according to Wikipedia Herzog denies this saying he only verbally threatened him.)  In that same movie some of the actors were making too much noise so he fired three rounds into the hut.

But all the same, those two had such chemistry in movies.  I haven't seen Fitzcarraldo yet but certainly need to.  I have seen almost all of the others they did together (Nosferatu, Cobra Verde, and Aguirre).

Check out their rushed production of Buechner's Woyzeck. The scene ordering follows pretty closely to the more conservative take.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1000 on: November 28, 2011, 07:34:44 PM »

How do they all fit?

Never gets old. ROFL!

Truly EPIC.

oh my lord! this is out of this world!  ha ha ha I kept expecting him to" invite" them to flash him as a sign of taking of the old man and while they are down there grab ....,  then there is this original lyrics of the song that pops in my mind and then he says grab your partner.... oh I am dying here, if he has asked anything this crowd would have done it. I cant stop watching it. its just perversely hilarious.

on the other hand seeing those little girls right to that loud music ....

anyway  the soy substitute Flo was a disaster  laugh

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1001 on: November 28, 2011, 11:08:32 PM »

How do they all fit?

Never gets old. ROFL!

Truly EPIC.

oh my lord! this is out of this world!  ha ha ha I kept expecting him to" invite" them to flash him as a sign of taking of the old man and while they are down there grab ....,  then there is this original lyrics of the song that pops in my mind and then he says grab your partner.... oh I am dying here, if he has asked anything this crowd would have done it. I cant stop watching it. its just perversely hilarious.

anyway  the soy substitute Flo was a disaster  laugh

I beg everyone to watch it all the way through just so they can get to:

It's a Holy Ghost Hoedown!

EDIT: A buddy of mine and I were speculating about the whole sock thing, which is frightening. My theory was it is a calculated activity to do to keep the kids from getting too Flo Rida.*

EDIT: *I don't care if this was made before Flo Rida sampled the nutty song, you get my drift.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:12:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1002 on: November 28, 2011, 11:33:54 PM »

laugh Wow!  What on earth was that?! I could fathom the whole swinging the socks in the air thing and the "Holy Ghost Hoedown".  I've seen my fair share of crazy in my life, but THAT song!  That song?  Really?  I mean I like the song and all, but that isn't a worship song.  All that I could think of was all the bumping and grinding that used to go on when that song would come on in the club back in my more wild days. Weirdness all the way around!   Tongue 

How do they all fit?

Never gets old. ROFL!

Truly EPIC.

oh my lord! this is out of this world!  ha ha ha I kept expecting him to" invite" them to flash him as a sign of taking of the old man and while they are down there grab ....,  then there is this original lyrics of the song that pops in my mind and then he says grab your partner.... oh I am dying here, if he has asked anything this crowd would have done it. I cant stop watching it. its just perversely hilarious.

anyway  the soy substitute Flo was a disaster  laugh

EDIT: A buddy of mine and I were speculating about the whole sock thing, which is frightening. My theory was it is a calculated activity to do to keep the kids from getting too Flo Rida.*

EDIT: *I don't care if this was made before Flo Rida sampled the nutty song, you get my drift.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #1003 on: November 28, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »

How do they all fit?

Never gets old. ROFL!

Truly EPIC.

oh my lord! this is out of this world!  ha ha ha I kept expecting him to" invite" them to flash him as a sign of taking of the old man and while they are down there grab ....,  then there is this original lyrics of the song that pops in my mind and then he says grab your partner.... oh I am dying here, if he has asked anything this crowd would have done it. I cant stop watching it. its just perversely hilarious.

anyway  the soy substitute Flo was a disaster  laugh

LOL Oh yes I think you hit that right on. the go kosher ad suffered at the hand of the messenger with this one lol I am cursed with an active imagination, and what I was seeing when I was listening to it was so so unspeakable lol the Hoedown killed me I mean the Mohawk has no shame he said it with a straight face.oh and at the end he kind of giggles and says" yeah ha ha we love the lordy!" and I bust out laughing all over again.

that was so wrong on so many levels  laugh

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:49:05 PM by Hiwot » Logged

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1004 on: November 28, 2011, 11:56:52 PM »

A  Serious Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iggyFPls4w

Proverbs 22:7
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1005 on: November 29, 2011, 12:07:36 AM »

LOL @ Ionnis bumping and grinding. It that where you developed your hunchback?

You sound like you know how to have a good time or at least used to, when do I show up for the party?

Hiwot, Ionnis, I can swoop up some other OC.netters along the way.

What I wouldn't give to see that Holy Ghost Hoedown.

I might even clean up for the occasion.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1006 on: November 29, 2011, 12:08:07 AM »

Report back. Been in the queue forever.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #1007 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:14 AM »

laugh Wow!  What on earth was that?! I could fathom the whole swinging the socks in the air thing and the "Holy Ghost Hoedown".  I've seen my fair share of crazy in my life, but THAT song!  That song?  Really?  I mean I like the song and all, but that isn't a worship song.  All that I could think of was all the bumping and grinding that used to go on when that song would come on in the club back in my more wild days. Weirdness all the way around!   Tongue 

LOL  I was thinking as the substitution goes hey wire what else from the scene in the clubs he will ask them to do laugh  .. he got them going down, taking stuff off and shaking it ... you know what I am saying... it got real weired with the grab your partner in the ... hoedown..

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #1008 on: November 29, 2011, 12:23:47 AM »

LOL @ Ionnis bumping and grinding. It that where you developed your hunchback?

You sound like you know how to have a good time or at least used to, when do I show up for the party?

Hiwot, Ionnis, I can swoop up some other OC.netters along the way.

What I wouldn't give to see that Holy Ghost Hoedown.

I might even clean up for the occasion.

Tongue  and I would walk 500 miles for it and would walk 500 more ..to see such a day. Wink

Isadore

Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« Reply #1009 on: December 03, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »

Das Leben der Anderen.  Cry Cry Cry

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1010 on: December 03, 2011, 09:55:42 PM »

Anything with Tyler Perrey's Madea.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1011 on: December 03, 2011, 09:58:13 PM »

Great movie

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1012 on: December 04, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »

Limitless... lame, stupid, immoral... just a bad movie. At first you think it might turn out like Flowers for Algernon but it soon comes clear that the hero's rise to slick obscenity removed by moderator dominance will be without any lasting consequences for him.

The Black Death... a lot better than I thought it would be. Imagine if Season of the Witch wasn't a completely awful movie.

I had to remove from this post a word that is considered obscene on this forum. Please be careful to refrain from using such obscenities again on the Public Forum. Thank you.  -PtA
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:04:32 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1013 on: December 05, 2011, 12:31:06 AM »

Breakfast at Tiffany's...

Forgive my sins.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1014 on: December 05, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »

Das Leben der Anderen.  Cry Cry Cry

Excellent, excellent film; maybe one of the best ever.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1015 on: December 08, 2011, 11:33:47 PM »

I can't wait for The Three Stooges.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #1016 on: December 09, 2011, 12:42:12 AM »

That does look funny.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1017 on: December 09, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »

Ides of March-more plot holes than swiss cheese but great acting.

Breaking Dawn-I know, too old for it, never read the books and nothing compares to the originalBram Stoker or Anne Rice stories, but there was nothing else playing and the island was beautiful.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1018 on: December 09, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »

I can't wait for The Three Stooges.

I dunno.. The boys are a hard act to follow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg_3qEf3ahU&feature=showob

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1019 on: December 09, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »

Ides of March-more plot holes than swiss cheese but great acting.

Breaking Dawn-I know, too old for it, never read the books and nothing compares to the originalBram Stoker or Anne Rice stories, but there was nothing else playing and the island was beautiful.

I thought the last book was crap.  Not sure if I'm going to see the movie until it comes out on video.  I thought Eclipse was the best.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1020 on: December 10, 2011, 02:11:43 AM »

The Princess Bride.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1021 on: December 12, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »

Gods and Generals.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1022 on: December 12, 2011, 02:53:17 PM »

British TV movies, thanks to Netflix. "A Place of Execution" was really well-acted and scary. It's based on a book by Val McDermid.

FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #1023 on: December 12, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »

British TV movies, thanks to Netflix. "A Place of Execution" was really well-acted and scary. It's based on a book by Val McDermid.

Apparently Greg Wise is brilliant in that.

Have you seen Luther? Dark

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1024 on: December 18, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »

I've been watching old MST:3000 episodes on netflix.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1025 on: December 18, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »

Whee! The box sets are neat too.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1026 on: December 18, 2011, 10:08:53 PM »

Apparently Greg Wise is brilliant in that.

Have you seen Luther? Dark

Not yet, but Greg Wise was really good in the other one.

vorgos

« Reply #1027 on: December 19, 2011, 04:34:07 AM »

I recently watched "Jesus Camp".

Educational...

If anyone doesn't know about it, just search the OC.net forums. Plenty of discussions on it.

Also saw Bill Maher's Religilous. For some reason I feel dirty after having watched it! Not much more than what you see in the trailers really...
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1028 on: December 19, 2011, 04:43:27 AM »

Just watched "A Muppet Christmas Carol" for the first time tonight. Best. Christmas. Movie. EVER!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1029 on: December 19, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »

I do love that movie.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #1030 on: December 19, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »

The Thin Red Line

Amazing.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1031 on: December 19, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »

The Thin Red Line

Amazing.

I haven't seen that in years and I don't think I made it all the way through back then.  Didn't care for it, but I may give it another go.  How would you compare it to HBO's "The Pacific"?  (Supposing you've seen The Pacific.)  I still think Letters from Iwo Jima was the best PTO movie I've seen.  Didn't really care for Flags of Our Fathers.  I thought they spent too much time on them back home, though it is worth watching once just so you could compare it to Letters.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1032 on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:36 AM »

Mystery Team

Mediocre, which sucks because I love Derrick Comedy.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1033 on: December 20, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »

I watched "Brief Encounter" (1945) last evening.

I've seen it many time, and while the acting is the stilted style of the day, I was still struck by the great moral struggle of the characters; not to give into their desire for each other. If this film were to be remade, I can only imagine how different the modern version would be.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1034 on: December 20, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »

Before there was Chuck Norris, there was Clint Eastwood.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: