OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 115923 times) Average Rating: 0
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #945 on: November 11, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »

Saw the J. Edgar Hoover movie.  Wowsers.  1st half was fun, as it shows how the U.S. continually faces "existential" threats to its security.  Second half?  Well, I'm not sure what to say.  If you like following strange semi-romantic relationships between dudes wearing liverspotted geriatric silicone makeup, then this is your film.

I much preferred The Man Nobody Knew: In Search of My Father CIA Spymaster William Colby

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #946 on: November 11, 2011, 11:10:57 PM »

An animated version of "Tales from Earthsea," which even though it appears to be Japanese, is a Disney film. I think the book was by Ursula LeGuin. The movie is good.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #947 on: November 12, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »

Priest = disgustingly uninteresting vamps and utter boredom. I definitely prefer a more seductive vamp.

Team Edward?

Not bad, I suppose. I what thinking more of Count Dracula, Christopher Lee style. Wink
I saw half of this version, but I could not get into it. It didn't follow the book, the pacing of the book (which the Lugosi version captured better and of the three I've seen, the Oldman version captured the best), lacked the poetic anticipation so eloquently captured by Coppola in the Oldman version, and the best redeeming factor, if not the only redeeming factor I saw in the first 20 minutes of the film, was that the narration at times that reflected the journal/diary style of Stoker's writing.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #948 on: November 12, 2011, 05:39:33 PM »

I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula from 1992 the other night. I saw it a few years ago. Anthony Hopkins is really great in it. Keanu Reeves, well... I really hate every time he talks in the movie but I cannot help but sympathize for his character just the same. In the end, its not a bad movie. I like it.

Yeah, this is a classic.

Selam

Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins in the same movie is glorious.  If only they could have replaced Keanu with Christopher Walken and then made it work...that would have been crazy-awesome overload.  But all the same, IMHO, it is the best Dracula movie.  Followed closely by the Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht.
I loved the Oldman version. I just got it, after renting it twice. It is inspirational. I look forward to seeing Nosferatu.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 05:39:53 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #949 on: November 12, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »

Gary Oldman is bonkers in pretty much anything.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #950 on: November 12, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »

An animated version of "Tales from Earthsea," which even though it appears to be Japanese, is a Disney film. I think the book was by Ursula LeGuin. The movie is good.

It's done by Goro Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli so it is Japanese; I guess Disney has the American rights or something. I saw this recently as well but I was not impressed. The story and dialogue seemed rather flat-footed to me. There were great visuals and interesting ideas but it was not executed very well, which is a shame since almost everything I've seen from Studio Ghibli is excellent.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #951 on: November 12, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »

Priest = disgustingly uninteresting vamps and utter boredom. I definitely prefer a more seductive vamp.

Team Edward?

Not bad, I suppose. I what thinking more of Count Dracula, Christopher Lee style. Wink
I saw half of this version, but I could not get into it. It didn't follow the book, the pacing of the book (which the Lugosi version captured better and of the three I've seen, the Oldman version captured the best), lacked the poetic anticipation so eloquently captured by Coppola in the Oldman version, and the best redeeming factor, if not the only redeeming factor I saw in the first 20 minutes of the film, was that the narration at times that reflected the journal/diary style of Stoker's writing.

Well, I was speaking of seductive attributes of Chris Lee as a vampire rather that the actual film; as opposed to the ugly vamps in "Priest".

But yes, I agree Gary Oldman was excellent in the Coppola film. The film certainly delivered the moody Victorian "forbidden fruit" undertones of Stoker's novel.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #952 on: November 13, 2011, 01:40:14 AM »

Just saw Harry Brown with Michael Cain.  That's how Gran Tourino should have ended!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #953 on: November 14, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »

Just a thought about movies and acting: A great actor doesn't leave you saying, "What a great actor!," they leave you saying, "What a great movie!"

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #954 on: November 17, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »

I just watched Hobo With A Shotgun.  Move over Dead Snow.  You are no longer the worst movie I have ever watched. 

(FWIW, I don't think either movie intended to be good.)
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #955 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:36 AM »

Oh! What a Lovely War Pitch dark musical satire about World War I.
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #956 on: November 17, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »

Just a thought about movies and acting: A great actor doesn't leave you saying, "What a great actor!," they leave you saying, "What a great movie!"

Selam

The other actors could be terrible, including the lead, which pulls you out of the movie when you think that they've not got it. One actor could stand out for you in their role though and that's when you'd say "What a great actor!" but not necessarily a great movie.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #957 on: November 17, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »

I just watched Hobo With A Shotgun.  Move over Dead Snow.  You are no longer the worst movie I have ever watched. 

(FWIW, I don't think either movie intended to be good.)

I liked Hobo With A Shotgun...

Forgive my sins.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #958 on: November 19, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »

I just saw "Krull," on Netflix. Wow. I remember not being allowed to go see this when it came out, but all the other kids were. I was so jealous. Now, I'm not so sure what my parents were afraid of. Still, it was fun to find out. 

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #959 on: November 19, 2011, 12:33:25 PM »

The Lighthorsemen. Awesome.

Forgive my sins.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #960 on: November 19, 2011, 01:37:45 PM »

"Exporting Raymond" -- Producer of the TV show "Everybody Loves Raymond" goes over to Russia to supervise the adaptation of the show for Russian audiences. Some interesting observations on the differences between Russian and American cultures and mindsets, if you can stand the main narrator/producer's whining. Waaaaah, buildings in Russia from the Soviet days are old and uuuuuugly...Russians don't respond to Raymond's character...blahblahblah. In the end they manage to pull off something that's surprisingly half-way decent, given the awfulness of the source material. I'm glad that the DVD features a few episodes of the Russian show as extra material. All in all, an interesting look at some of the pitfalls of globalization and the ideas behind it, particularly the idea that Western/American values are somehow universal or universally understood. (Spoiler alert: They aren't.)

Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #961 on: November 19, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »

I definitley plan on watching Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1.. this weekend, or next.  Maybe it's best to let the youngsters go and see it, so it won't be so crowded?  Cheesy

TEAM ALICE UNITE!!  Cheesy

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #962 on: November 19, 2011, 02:01:26 PM »

I definitley plan on watching Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1.. this weekend, or next.  Maybe it's best to let the youngsters go and see it, so it won't be so crowded?  Cheesy

Ummm...

Forgive my sins.
Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #963 on: November 19, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »

Ummm...

Don't hate.. I have awesome taste in movies.   Cheesy

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #964 on: November 19, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »

Today it's Twilight, yesterday it was Harry Potter, and tomorrow...? I'm hoping it's the Phantom Tollbooth, but that's not very likely unless Pixar buys the rights to it or something.

Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #965 on: November 19, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »

Today it's Twilight, yesterday it was Harry Potter, and tomorrow...? I'm hoping it's the Phantom Tollbooth, but that's not very likely unless Pixar buys the rights to it or something.

I'm still into Harry Potter too... I'm hoping someone continues the story line.  Then we get to hear about Ron and Hermionie's kids, and Harry and Jenny's kids... and if the Malfoy family has changed any.. *wishful thinking*  Roll Eyes  Wink

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #966 on: November 19, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »

I'm still into Harry Potter too... I'm hoping someone continues the story line.  Then we get to hear about Ron and Hermionie's kids, and Harry and Jenny's kids... and if the Malfoy family has changed any.. *wishful thinking*  Roll Eyes  Wink

laugh When I was reading the last book I wanted a more solid reconciliation between Harry and Dudley Dursely. I was hoping that Dudley would marry and his offspring would be magical and that would cement a relationship between Harry and him; much to the horror of Dudley's parents.

I wasn't the only one hoping for that. Wiki says;

Rowling revealed on her website that many people have asked her to include an adult Dudley with a wizarding child in the epilogue of Deathly Hallows, and that she herself considered it, but decided upon reflection that any "latent wizarding genes would never survive contact with Uncle Vernon's DNA" and thus she did not do so. Rowling says that Harry and Dudley would "stay on Christmas card" terms for the rest of their lives,[5] and that Harry would take his family to visit Dudley's when they were in the neighbourhood, but it was something that James, Albus and Lily "would dread".[6] However, Dudley's kids and Harry's occasionally would "get together while the adults sat in awkward silence".

And in my version of the ending, Draco was going to prove himself by becoming a hero and eventually a repentant friend.

Cockeyed optimist, me?  laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #967 on: November 19, 2011, 07:01:17 PM »

Ashley Greene is gorgeous. With long hair of course.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #968 on: November 20, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »

Yesterday night - Mankeiwicz's "Suddenly, Last Summer" (1959) (huge impression, really a milestone), and Hitchcok's "Marnie" (1964) (a rather mediocre film, although it was a pleasure to see the acting of young Tippi Hedren and Sean Connery).

Love never fails.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #969 on: November 21, 2011, 02:22:41 AM »

Zoolander.

I love this movie.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #970 on: November 21, 2011, 02:43:50 AM »

Cowboys and Aliens. Enjoyed it.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #971 on: November 21, 2011, 04:57:47 AM »

watching en ganske snill mann again.

Forgive my sins.
Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #972 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »

Cowboys and Aliens. Enjoyed it.

agreed, awesome movie.. it was much better than I expected.  However usually everything Steven Spielberg puts his name to is going to be "good".

Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #973 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »

Ashley Greene is gorgeous. With long hair of course.

I'm totally with you on that one, *drool*  Cool

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #974 on: November 22, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »

The wife and I are going to see Sarah's Key this afternoon. Don't know much about it, but it got very good reviews. Has anyone here seen it yet?

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810122942/info

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #975 on: November 27, 2011, 06:53:20 AM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Stunning cinematography, very intricate and engaging story, imo the best performance of Jim Carrey's carrier (and it's a drama!)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #976 on: November 27, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Stunning cinematography, very intricate and engaging story, imo the best performance of Jim Carrey's carrier (and it's a drama!)

One of the best screenplays of the last few decades and arguably the best film in its genre ever.

As I said, if I had to tell someone to understand Nietzsche. I would skip the Walter Kaufmann and go with Charlie Kaufman here.

No one has done a better job of doing justice to Nietzsche's thought in any other work of art or thought.

I won't expand on the above lest I ruin the beginning and ending of the film for anyone who hasn't seen it.

One of the greatest stories of romance in film and perhaps the greatest screwball comedy ever, although it rarely (ever?) gets its proper due as being exemplar of that genre.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:55:35 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #977 on: November 27, 2011, 04:22:10 PM »

Watched a couple of oldies, and not goodies this week. "Jane Eyre" (1943?) with Orsen Wells and Joan Fontaine (dreadful is the only word I can use to describe it, and I gave up on it)and "The Lost World" (1960). Pitting two lizards, with glued on paper frills, against each other for the "dinosaur" fight scene was inexcusable and obviously the "no animals were hurt..." clause has to have been missing from the credits. The hapless ingenue's screaming gave me a headache.

I thought the latest version of "The Thing" was pretty good, however.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:26:40 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #978 on: November 27, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »

One of the best screenplays of the last few decades and arguably the best film in its genre ever.

As I said, if I had to tell someone to understand Nietzsche. I would skip the Walter Kaufmann and go with Charlie Kaufman here.

No one has done a better job of doing justice to Nietzsche's thought in any other work of art or thought.

I won't expand on the above lest I ruin the beginning and ending of the film for anyone who hasn't seen it.

One of the greatest stories of romance in film and perhaps the greatest screwball comedy ever, although it rarely (ever?) gets its proper due as being exemplar of that genre.

Yeah, I think I've only seen it called a dark comedy. Yeah, based on what we've talked about, I can really see the Nietzschean theme. I also thought it had an interesting anti-utilitarian message
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #979 on: November 27, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »

Yeah, I think I've only seen it called a dark comedy. Yeah, based on what we've talked about, I can really see the Nietzschean theme. I also thought it had an interesting anti-utilitarian message

Utilitarianism was another of Nietzsche's gods he railed against.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #980 on: November 27, 2011, 05:58:44 PM »

"The Lost World" (1960). Pitting two lizards, with glued on paper frills, against each other for the "dinosaur" fight scene was inexcusable and obviously the "no animals were hurt..." clause has to have been missing from the credits.
Not the first time, sadly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruelty_to_animals#TV_.26_film_making
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #981 on: November 27, 2011, 06:06:10 PM »

"The Lost World" (1960). Pitting two lizards, with glued on paper frills, against each other for the "dinosaur" fight scene was inexcusable and obviously the "no animals were hurt..." clause has to have been missing from the credits.
Not the first time, sadly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruelty_to_animals#TV_.26_film_making

Real film makers harm humans, not animals, to make their films:

In his autobiographical film Portrait Werner Herzog, Herzog has stated that the film's spectacular production was partly inspired by the engineering feats of ancient standing stones. The film production was an incredible ordeal, and famously involved moving a 320-ton steamship over a hill without the use of special effects. Herzog believed that no one had ever performed a similar feat in history, and likely never will again, calling himself "Conquistador of the Useless".[4] Three similar-looking ships were bought for the production and used in different scenes and locations, including scenes that were shot aboard the ship while it crashed through rapids, injuring three of the six people involved in the filming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzcarraldo#Production
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:06:21 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #982 on: November 27, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »

Reeeeaaaaal men of geeeeeniuuuuuus!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #983 on: November 27, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »

On the platter right now: The Matrix, Pulp Fiction, and Snow White

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #984 on: November 27, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »

How do they all fit?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #985 on: November 27, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »

How do they all fit?

Pagan distractions from the Nativity of our Lord and Savior!

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #986 on: November 27, 2011, 07:50:20 PM »

How do they all fit?

Hey, I'll have you know that, 1. Pulp Fiction contains Bible quotes. 2. Neo is a self-sacrificing Christ-figure. 3. There's Seven Dwarves. The significance is obvious.

I've sent off my proposal to the heads of the various jurisdictions that these become required viewing for the Nativity season and expect my response soon.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #987 on: November 27, 2011, 08:01:17 PM »

How do they all fit?

Hey, I'll have you know that, 1. Pulp Fiction contains Bible quotes. 2. Neo is a self-sacrificing Christ-figure. 3. There's Seven Dwarves. The significance is obvious.

I've sent off my proposal to the heads of the various jurisdictions that these become required viewing for the Nativity season and expect my response soon.

You have a brilliant career ahead of you as a mega-church AV worship leader.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #988 on: November 27, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »

How do they all fit?

ROFL

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #989 on: November 27, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »

How do they all fit?

You have a brilliant career ahead of you as a mega-church AV worship leader.
Wow! Just like my hero, Rick Pino! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ1diGCosjQ
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: