OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 01:37:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 115876 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #900 on: September 24, 2011, 01:06:53 AM »

When We Were Kings

Awesome film. The DVD ending is challenge someone not to crying during.

Yeah, like I said, I cry every time I watch it. One of my favorite things about the film is watching the footage of Don King's face go from a cheesy grin to a scowl in a nano-second when he enters the ring immediately after the fight was over. He was approaching Ali all ready to exploit his heroic victory, and Ali obviously looked him dead in the eye and said something that really humiliated him. If I ever meet Ali, I'm going to ask him what he said to Don King at that moment. I imagine it was something along the lines of what he said to Ernie Terrell.  Wink

Selam

For me the real subject in the end is Foreman. He under goes a ridiculous degree of character development. When he helps Ali to receive the award after seeing how mean and hard hearted he was . . .

George's quiet story told in the background of the brash and brilliance of Ali is what breaks and thus opens my heart.

No doubt. George Foreman is a wonderful person, and I have so much respect for him. Ali's relationship with Joe Frasier was deeply strained for many years, and I must admit it was mostly due to Ali's behavior. But I think in the end, almost everyone that had a profound encounter with Ali was the better for it. Sonny Liston was certainly a tragic exception. But we must not forget that there would be no Ali without Foreman, Frasier, and the other exceptional fighters whose character and skill provided indellible moments in the ring and transformative stories outside of it.

Selam

How about that new movie that's about to come out about the real life inspiration for all the Rocky movies: the fight where a little-known guy named Chuck Wepner stayed in the ring with Muhammad Ali for the full 15 rounds?
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #901 on: September 24, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »

This weekend I saw:

Moneyball - Let me start off by saying I think that baseball is the most boring sport there is...and I LOVED this movie

Killer Elite - VERY good action film, story...not so great.

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #902 on: September 24, 2011, 08:26:47 PM »

When We Were Kings

Awesome film. The DVD ending is challenge someone not to crying during.

Yeah, like I said, I cry every time I watch it. One of my favorite things about the film is watching the footage of Don King's face go from a cheesy grin to a scowl in a nano-second when he enters the ring immediately after the fight was over. He was approaching Ali all ready to exploit his heroic victory, and Ali obviously looked him dead in the eye and said something that really humiliated him. If I ever meet Ali, I'm going to ask him what he said to Don King at that moment. I imagine it was something along the lines of what he said to Ernie Terrell.  Wink

Selam

For me the real subject in the end is Foreman. He under goes a ridiculous degree of character development. When he helps Ali to receive the award after seeing how mean and hard hearted he was . . .

George's quiet story told in the background of the brash and brilliance of Ali is what breaks and thus opens my heart.

No doubt. George Foreman is a wonderful person, and I have so much respect for him. Ali's relationship with Joe Frasier was deeply strained for many years, and I must admit it was mostly due to Ali's behavior. But I think in the end, almost everyone that had a profound encounter with Ali was the better for it. Sonny Liston was certainly a tragic exception. But we must not forget that there would be no Ali without Foreman, Frasier, and the other exceptional fighters whose character and skill provided indellible moments in the ring and transformative stories outside of it.

Selam

How about that new movie that's about to come out about the real life inspiration for all the Rocky movies: the fight where a little-known guy named Chuck Wepner stayed in the ring with Muhammad Ali for the full 15 rounds?

I haven't heard about it. I look forward to it. Yes indeed, Chuck Wepner was a warrior that day!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #903 on: September 24, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »

Probably going to see Contagion tonight.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #904 on: September 24, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »

Just saw Drive...the opening was better than the rest of the film. Good guy flick.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #905 on: September 24, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »

mispost
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:52:53 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #906 on: September 24, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »

Bad Santa

It was on TV this afternoon.

I'd post a you tube clip but after review...... I am unable to do so Smiley

One of the greats...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:11:05 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #907 on: September 25, 2011, 12:37:14 AM »

Gunless

A lighthearted Canadian spoof on the Western genre. When a gunslinger wanders into a small Canadian frontier town, he finds it's hard to stage a showdown. The locals are just too friendly, and how do you have a gunfight when there's only one pistol in town - and it doesn't shoot?

It's worth a few laughs

"Who touches, is also touched"
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #908 on: September 27, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »

Saw Contagion on Saturday.  It was very good. 

Watched Alien for the second time last night.  Classic.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #909 on: October 06, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »

Shutter Island - Some great actors, but predictable.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #910 on: October 07, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »

Ninja Cheerleaders (2008) arrived in the mail today. This movie should not be confused with Cheerleader Ninjas (2003). Looks to be a campy movie with scantily clad women, dumb jokes, bad production, and terrible acting. Can't wait to watch it! Oh, and Sulu is their ninja sensei.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #911 on: October 09, 2011, 12:19:17 AM »

The Ninja Cheerleaders movie wasn't very good after all. Though I did like some of the absurd touches. And I also did fast forward to the end to see if things worked out the way the characters were hoping they would. And wouldn't you know it, the stripper-cheerleader-ninja-community-college-girls got accepted into an ivy league college and made enough money from stripping to attend. So it was a happy ending for them, if not for me.  police
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #912 on: October 09, 2011, 06:17:34 PM »

I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula from 1992 the other night. I saw it a few years ago. Anthony Hopkins is really great in it. Keanu Reeves, well... I really hate every time he talks in the movie but I cannot help but sympathize for his character just the same. In the end, its not a bad movie. I like it.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #913 on: October 09, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »

Keanu Reeves, well... I really hate every time he talks in the movie
So true, man. 4 words: Much Ado About Nothing. Watch it if you love to hate Keanu, just like I do. It's the Brannagh/Thompson version.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #914 on: October 09, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #915 on: October 09, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »

I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula from 1992 the other night. I saw it a few years ago. Anthony Hopkins is really great in it. Keanu Reeves, well... I really hate every time he talks in the movie but I cannot help but sympathize for his character just the same. In the end, its not a bad movie. I like it.

Yeah, this is a classic.

Selam

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #916 on: October 10, 2011, 04:24:42 PM »

Real Steel is a VERY good film.

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #917 on: October 11, 2011, 04:54:32 AM »

Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death

Awesome movie. I know, I know, you see that Shannon Tweed is in it and you think you know what kind of movie it is. Well you're wrong! It's much, much worse! And wonderfully so! Smiley Also, I've never been a huge fan of Bill Maher, but I like him in this one.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #918 on: October 11, 2011, 05:14:24 AM »

Yeah, this is a classic.

Selam

Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins in the same movie is glorious.  If only they could have replaced Keanu with Christopher Walken and then made it work...that would have been crazy-awesome overload.  But all the same, IMHO, it is the best Dracula movie.  Followed closely by the Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #919 on: October 14, 2011, 04:55:43 AM »

Just watched Horrible Bosses. One of the few movies I figured I might buy this year. Pretty good. Couple of laugh-out-loud moments. Overall some nice surprises/swerves.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #920 on: October 14, 2011, 11:37:06 AM »

So true, man. 4 words: Much Ado About Nothing. Watch it if you love to hate Keanu, just like I do. It's the Brannagh/Thompson version.
Alternatively, go for A Scanner Darkly. For a minute, it seems like he's acting quite well, but then you realize that the entire point of his character is that he's too high most of the time to have any idea what's really going on, so he's really just playing himself.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #921 on: October 14, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »

Haven't watched it in probably 3-4 months, but figured this was the best thread to make the comment...  they are selling unrated version of the 2010 remake of I Spit On Your Grave at my Walmart. Really? That movie? But you can only sell censored versions of cds? Makes me rage.  I mean, it's a good movie and all, it's just the Walmartian inconsistency that gets me.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:11:41 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #922 on: October 14, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »

Alternatively, go for A Scanner Darkly. For a minute, it seems like he's acting quite well, but then you realize that the entire point of his character is that he's too high most of the time to have any idea what's really going on, so he's really just playing himself.

He does a much better job rotoscoped. This brings up a double whammy of an anecdote. Keanu and Scanner Darkly.

The film is watchable.

The story almost not readable for his work.

But the "afterword", especially in the film is simply heart wrenching for me.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #923 on: October 14, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »

I'm gonna watch Ben-Hur sometime today.

I know that it's kind of a religious movie. Any thoughts on it from an Orthodox perspective?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #924 on: October 14, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »

I know that it's kind of a religious movie. Any thoughts on it from an Orthodox perspective?

Rly?

What aspect ratio is it released in? That is the only perspective question (yes the aspect ratio does come into the perspective formula if anyone wants to geek out on me). It was shot stupidly wide.

Enjoy. That is my perspective.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #925 on: October 14, 2011, 03:52:10 PM »

I thought it was a little Docetic at times.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #926 on: October 14, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »

Rly?

What aspect ratio is it released in? That is the only perspective question (yes the aspect ratio does come into the perspective formula if anyone wants to geek out on me). It was shot stupidly wide.

Enjoy. That is my perspective.

It was shot for that stupidly wide screen back in the day - Cinerama. You probably already know that, but... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama. It was like watching a tennis match.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #927 on: October 14, 2011, 05:21:33 PM »

I don't remember it being that, but then I didn't remember what Docetic was and had to look it up!  laugh

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #928 on: October 14, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »

I still like the chariot race scenes.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #929 on: October 14, 2011, 08:20:29 PM »

^ Yeah, me too. (Historical note, just because I'm annoying.  Roll Eyes The Roman Navy never used slaves as rowers, but men of free status.)

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #930 on: October 14, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »

^ Yeah, me too. (Historical note, just because I'm annoying.  Roll Eyes The Roman Navy never used slaves as rowers, but men of free status.)
hehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5l2Nu4v23E
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #931 on: October 14, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »

^ I love that show!  laugh

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #932 on: October 14, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »

That was funny.   Cheesy

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #933 on: October 15, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »

I don't remember it being that, but then I didn't remember what Docetic was and had to look it up!  laugh
It's just the impression I got from the way Christ is always shown from behind, and everyone who sees Him is filled with the sort of sense of awe they'd never get from seeing a normal human body. It's more blatant in the stage version, where He's played by a spotlight.

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #934 on: October 16, 2011, 02:03:08 AM »

I watched the movie "180" today online:  http://180movie.com/

It was one of the most signficant, persuasive, well-produced, and moving documentaries I have watched.
vorgos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #935 on: October 23, 2011, 03:26:08 AM »

Thoroughly enjoyed 'Millions' about a kid who finds a bag of money.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366777/maindetails

Strange take on Jesus' loaves and fishes miracle though.....

And Real Steel was great too...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:26:28 AM by vorgos » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #936 on: October 23, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »

I just got the box set of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' with all the Gamera episodes. That's what I'm going to watch.  Smiley

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #937 on: October 23, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »

Saw "The Bank Job" the other night. And finally got around to seeing "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part two". Both films get the thumbs up from me.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #938 on: October 23, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed 'Millions' about a kid who finds a bag of money.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366777/maindetails

Strange take on Jesus' loaves and fishes miracle though.....

And Real Steel was great too...

Millions shows Danny Bolye's range. From genre to genre, he just doesn't make a bad film, usually he simply makes terrific ones.

A very touching and lovely story.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #939 on: October 24, 2011, 07:52:10 AM »

Or My Treasure
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388311/

A disturbing Israeli movie about a daughter trying to rescue her mother from prostitution. Highly depressing and I shouldn't have been surprised. I had to cover Mr. Ismi's eyes during a part or two.  Tongue

Good acting. More thoughts but not enough time to type them

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #940 on: November 06, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »

Just started watching 1963's "Bye Bye Birdie" -- free* streaming on Amazon, nice!  Cool

*free with Prime membership, which AIN'T free, but is a pretty good bargain.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #941 on: November 11, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »

Rise of Planet of the Apes.  Very nice.

Dr. Zaius: What I know of man was written long ago,
set down by the greatest ape of all,
our lawgiver. Cornelius, come here.
Reach into my pocket.
Read to him the 29th scroll, 6th verse.

Cornelius: "Beware the beast man,
for he is the devil's pawn.
Alone among God's primates,
he kills for sport or lust or greed.
Yea, he will murder his brother
to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers,
for he will make a desert
of his home and yours.
Shun him.
Drive him back into his jungle lair.
For he is the harbinger of death."

Dr. Zaius: I found nothing in the cave
to alter that conception of man, and I still live by its injunction.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #942 on: November 11, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »

If anyone has seen immortals, I'd be interested to know how you liked it...I am nervous after the hatchet job called Clash of the Titans.....

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #943 on: November 11, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »

If anyone has seen immortals, I'd be interested to know how you liked it...I am nervous after the hatchet job called Clash of the Titans.....
After seeing the trailer 3928473 times, I already believe I've seen it.  Tongue

Might end up going with the Mr. this weekend. More for him, though!

Last night we watched Zenith. Felt like it had potential but missed the boat in several ways. Do not watch if you get motion sickness very easily -- the shots change every few seconds. It can work with certain films, but you need a more explosive ending for that type of pace to work, in my opinion. This film didn't have it.

--
--
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #944 on: November 11, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »

Saw "Captain America" this week. Time I will never get back. Sad

"Conan the Barbarian" was actually quite enjoyable (in a morbid, bloody sense) until Conan became an adult; then I thought it went all pear-shaped. 

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: