OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:27:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 115991 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2009, 07:49:54 AM »

Yes, that is a Chinese pirate site. It's probably illegal to watch movies there.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »

More questions ....When one chooses what film or tv show to watch ,the player appears,, in the center of the player there a add when i click on the add the film or tv show starts to play..
I assume there making money on the adds that one clicks thats why  they don't have any commercial ...

How does one tell it's a chinese pirate sight.....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »

More questions ....When one chooses what film or tv show to watch ,the player appears,, in the center of the player there a add when i click on the add the film or tv show starts to play..
I assume there making money on the adds that one clicks thats why  they don't have any commercial ...

Well, first of all, it's written in Chinese. Second, you mentioned that they have available for download movies that are still in theatres, and the only ones who would have such a thing are pirates. So if I were in your position, I'd not download anything else from that site.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »

I assume there making money on the adds that one clicks thats why  they don't have any commercial ...

Well, first of all, it's written in Chinese. Second, you mentioned that they have available for download movies that are still in theatres, and the only ones who would have such a thing are pirates. So if I were in your position, I'd not download anything else from that site.

I swear its not in chinese but in english ,you must of got a cloned copycat site or something else,,,Hummmm

Heres the link http://ch131.com/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:30:49 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »

Chinese or not, its a pirate site that steals films so it is illegal.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2009, 08:40:40 PM »

I swear its not in chinese but in english ,you must of got a cloned copycat site or something else,,,Hummmm

That's not the link you provided me with earlier, but that too is a pirate site. So my advice is to avoid both ch131.com and ch.131.com.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:42:08 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »

That's not the link you provided me with earlier, but that too is a pirate site. So my advice is to avoid both ch131.com and ch.131.com.

Thanks!
Ill avoid that sight ,,I guess that old saying ,, if something sound to good to be true it probably is or isn't  ,i know its one of them...
Hulu shows the seeker new episode at 1:00 am monday morning, but i watched it all ready on this sight mentioned ..
Do i have get out of town or hide somewhere ,because i watched about 10 of there programs but didn't download anything , ...

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »

Thanks!
Ill avoid that sight ,,I guess that old saying ,, if something sound to good to be true it probably is or isn't  ,i know its one of them...
Hulu shows the seeker new episode at 1:00 am monday morning, but i watched it all ready on this sight mentioned ..
Do i have get out of town or hide somewhere ,because i watched about 10 of there programs but didn't download anything , ...

The FBI typically only go after the distributors. Just delete anything you might have obtained from that site, including cookies, and don't go back there again, and you should be okay.

Vlad
Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »

Jesus of Nazareth the tv series from the late 70's
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »

That is a really excellent production (also starring Anthony Quinn). Have you seen the later TV mini-series called A.D.? It is a sequal to Jesus of Nazareth that shows the Acts of the Apostles. It is extremly well done.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:07:44 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2009, 02:21:23 AM »

That is a really excellent production (also starring Anthony Quinn). Have you seen the later TV mini-series called A.D.? It is a sequal to Jesus of Nazareth that shows the Acts of the Apostles. It is extremly well done.

Where can I buy A.D.?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2009, 02:22:27 AM »

Sure have I own it. I love those two shows. Both very well done. Anthony Quinn is a good Caiphas.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2009, 02:24:52 AM »

Where can I buy A.D.?

There is a Catholic website Ignatius press that has the VHS copy and you can get the DVD off netflix. The DVD version has really been edited so I would go with the Ignatius press VHS copy though the set is like six tapes long and quite pricey it is well worth it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:29:39 AM by Vlad » Logged
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2009, 02:36:58 AM »

Ignatius Press has it on DVD: http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=2516&SKU=AD-M&ReturnURL=search.aspx%3f%3fSID%3d1%26SearchCriteria%3dAD I didn't see the VHS. It is well worth the price but as Vlad said, you can get it from Netflix if you have it.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2009, 02:42:33 AM »

Where can I buy A.D.?

There is a Catholic website Ignatius press that has the VHS copy and you can get the DVD off netflix. The DVD version has really been edited so I would go with the Ignatius press VHS copy though the set is like six tapes long and quite pricey it is well worth it.

Edited as in missing scenes?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mountainman

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: oca

« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2009, 07:21:41 AM »

Fantastic Mr. Fox!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2009, 08:16:10 AM »

Watched Fiddler on the Roof 2 days ago.  Spent last night watching old Muppet Show episodes.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2009, 09:06:15 AM »

Watched Fiddler on the Roof 2 days ago.  Spent last night watching old Muppet Show episodes.
Catchy tunes, aren't they? They just get stuck in your head. I sing this one for my advanced Spanish class when we study the subjunctive mood:

Si yo fuera rico, yaba daba daba daba dibble dibble dibble dum.
Todo el dia seria vagabundo, si yo fuera ricohombre.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »

Spent last night watching old Muppet Show episodes.
Love that show!!! I have season one, but I think season two is on DVD now.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »

Does anyone here like watching foreign films with subtitles? I had been watching a few on Netflix, and I never thought I'd enjoy them for having to read everything being said. I have been pleasantly surprised after veiwing a few films. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:32:10 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2009, 05:43:41 PM »

I've been rewatching old Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes over the past couple days, mostly from Season 6.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »

Where can I buy A.D.?

i see what you're saying.  I found some VHS on amazon.com.  It says 540 minutes, whereas the dvd's are 360 minutes.  I don't understand why the big difference.  Why couldn't they just make more dvd's?

Anyway, thanks for the VHS suggestion.  I will probably buy the VHS and record them into some dvd's.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2009, 06:30:15 PM »

Si yo fuera rico, yaba daba daba daba dibble dibble dibble dum.
Todo el dia seria vagabundo, si yo fuera ricohombre.

Impressive. It's good for you to have fun with them like that.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »

Does anyone here like watching foreign films with subtitles? I had been watching a few on Netflix, and I never thought I'd enjoy them for having to read everything being said. I have been pleasantly surprised after veiwing a few films. Smiley

My wife and I are used to reading subtitles. We saw almost the entire Fellini, Bergman, Kurosawa and other foreign masters reading the subtitles. It's wonderful to have the auditory impression of the different languages, hear the modulations of the actors' voices, etc., and simultaneously to keep track of the story.

Love never fails.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2009, 08:51:10 PM »

Where can I buy A.D.?

Yeah a lot of scenes. The plot of the show is that it focuses on The Apostles and the Romans and how they converge at the end with the martyrdom of Peter and Paul. But whole sections of the Roman stories are cut out and even some of the Apostles stuff gets hacked. I dont see why they didnt just put the whole thing on dvd.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2009, 02:49:55 AM »

I watched A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott tonight. It is, in my opinion, the best adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic. My mom actually has eight different film adaptations of A Christmas Carol on VHS that she got out, so I'm going to watch a few of them. I've seen them all before but my favorite of them all is the George C. Scott one which is just amazing.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2009, 02:59:26 AM »

I watched A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott tonight. It is, in my opinion, the best adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic. My mom actually has eight different film adaptations of A Christmas Carol on VHS that she got out, so I'm going to watch a few of them. I've seen them all before but my favorite of them all is the George C. Scott one which is just amazing.
I've always enjoyed the George Scott one, but whenever I think of Scrooge, I cannot help but think of Alastair Sim.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2009, 03:05:46 AM »

I've always enjoyed the George Scott one, but whenever I think of Scrooge, I cannot help but think of Alastair Sim.

Alastair Sim is amazing as Scrooge.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »

I have not seen that one in some time but I'm probably going to watch it in a few days. I have always really loved the one with George C. Scott though but after I watch the Alastair Sim one later, I will give my final opinion on the matter. I just love everything about the George C. Scott one though especially the Jacob Marley scene which really scared me as a little kid especially when he untied the kirchief and his mouth falls open which I believe isn't in most of the other film adaptations of the book.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:18:52 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »

If anyone sees Invictus, please give us a review. It looks really good, and I have a lot of respect for Clint Eastwood as a director.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »

I just got "Food Inc." about how unhealthy our food supply is and the unnatural and cruel conditions we raise animals under.

I will look at it this week. has anyone seen it yet?

I have been watching "Meet the Natives" on the Travel Channel. They took a small group of aboriginal hunter gatherer men from a remote  Polynesian Island and sent them around the USA. When they saw the way we raise  animals they commented on how unhealthy the feed was ( all dry without nutrients) and thought both the animals and people who eat the meat may die from consuming it. They looked worried.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »

Watched a Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum again last night.  Good comedy, IMO.

---------------------
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2009, 01:28:08 PM »

I just got "Food Inc." about how unhealthy our food supply is and the unnatural and cruel conditions we raise animals under.

I have been watching "Meet the Natives" on the Travel Channel. They took a small group of aboriginal hunter gatherer men from a remote  Polynesian Island and sent them around the USA. When they saw the way we raise  animals they commented on how unhealthy the feed was ( all dry without nutrients) and thought both the animals and people who eat the meat may die from consuming it. They looked worried.

Have you seen Fast Food Nation?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »

I have been watching "Meet the Natives" on the Travel Channel. They took a small group of aboriginal hunter gatherer men from a remote Polynesian Island and sent them around the USA. When they saw the way we raise animals they commented on how unhealthy the feed was ( all dry without nutrients) and thought both the animals and people who eat the meat may die from consuming it. They looked worried.

Have you seen Fast Food Nation?

Selam

Nope

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »

Haven't seen it yet, but I think I'm going to in the next month or so.

---------------------
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »

Let me know if anyone would like to participate in a Food-Diet-Nutrition thread.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »

Let me know if anyone would like to participate in a Food-Diet-Nutrition thread.

Go ahead and start one in the "Other Topics" section.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who have some background in the field; and even if not, I'm sure there are even more people who merely have an opinion to state. Smiley

---------------------
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »

Thanks!

As a semi-retired pirate and distributor (I generally only pirate for personal use anymore), you only really have to worry about it if you're making a profit off it...otherwise, a cease and desist letter is about the worst that will happen. Just make sure you always practice 'safe downloading', use secure e-mail and encrypted internet when possible, try to send/receive index files and header information using proxies and anonymity servers, mask your IP when possible, just the common sense stuff. It's not fool-proof, but it will make tracking you hard enough that they're more likely to spend their limited time and resources against easier and less-suspecting victims.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »

Sounds like it could be beneficial--though I expect a lot of arguing. Anyway, my doctor has given me enough lectures by now that I should be at the postgraduate level  Tongue

As to movies being watched, I recently watched Redneck Zombies again.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »

Yes, I have seen it and it is quite interesting.  See you in the Nutrition thread!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2009, 06:09:56 PM »

My wife and I just returned from seeing Brothers. I thought it was a very good movie. Good acting, great story line. The movie is pretty intense, but I thought it struck a very real note and handled some serious human issues with authenticity and balance.

Here's the trailer:
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Aj9xYUmpetpQeA9FK05jnExG2vAI?p=Brothers+movie+trailer&fr=my-myy&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Selam
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:10:17 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2009, 06:21:03 PM »

Gearing up to watch Bronco Bullfrong tonight while I work on my friend's Christmas present, a hand-made kilt in the Forsyth tartan!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »

Thanks!

As a semi-retired pirate and distributor (I generally only pirate for personal use anymore), you only really have to worry about it if you're making a profit off it...otherwise, a cease and desist letter is about the worst that will happen. Just make sure you always practice 'safe downloading', use secure e-mail and encrypted internet when possible, try to send/receive index files and header information using proxies and anonymity servers, mask your IP when possible, just the common sense stuff. It's not fool-proof, but it will make tracking you hard enough that they're more likely to spend their limited time and resources against easier and less-suspecting victims.

Question? Iv never had a desire to download any of the films from any sight,,But to just watch them on line, is that considered pirating by watching them on line only....

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2009, 07:27:03 PM »

If anyone sees Invictus, please give us a review. It looks really good, and I have a lot of respect for Clint Eastwood as a director.

Selam
We will see it, but probably not until it's on video. I have no doubt it'll be good; Morgan Freeman has a way of turning even poorly written scripts into amazing performances, but from what I've heard, this film is very well done.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »

I assume there making money on the adds that one clicks thats why  they don't have any commercial ...

Thanks!
Ill avoid that sight ,,I guess that old saying ,, if something sound to good to be true it probably is or isn't  ,i know its one of them...

Question? Iv never had a desire to download any of the films from any sight,,But to just watch them on line, is that considered pirating by watching them on line only....

You're still technically downloading them, the data to view the film must be transmitted to your computer so that it can be visually rendered and displayed. But, that's probably the safest form of piracy, it's an end to end connection that is highly unlikely to be intercepted by a third party and it is HIGHLY likely that the data is transmitted in such a way that your IP does not know the contents. Much safer than something like bittorrent where any third party can log on and view the IP's of everyone connected to the torrent (though here have been some improvements here as the risk from the feds and vigilantes like the RIAA has increased (Vuze, Anomos, etc)).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:28:56 PM by GiC » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: