OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:05:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 120237 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #855 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »

Point is, if we're reading about things that happened, I want to read about things that happened, not just coy hints and winks from an author or director.

What's a coy hint? The Bible says Lot's daughters got him drunk and raped him, it doesn't need to describe every pelvic thrust.

That story is rich. Gotta know your genres to make sense of that one.

I got drunk and my daughters raped me . . .

I don't know which genre it would be intended as, other than as an attempted explanation of the iniquity of Ammon and Moab. I have a hard time believing Peter would actually call Lot a righteous man if he really did rape his own daughters, that far dwarfs any other Patriarchal wrong-doing.

Noah did have sex with his son.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #856 on: August 24, 2011, 12:45:41 PM »

Hm, why not? How would you explain some of the more salacious aspects, so to speak?

I mean, I guess there is a basic way to explain it. I knew about the woman being stoned for adultery and I kind of knew what adultery was, but I didn't look too in-depth into the Bible at a young age.

I knew as a kid that Noah had sex with his son, Lot had sex with his daughters. David killed a man to have his wife. David doubled up on the foreskins to present Saul as a prize for his daughter. Solomon . . .

Pretty graphic that scene.

Hey and God kills infants en masse for the decision, wait not really a decision, because God hardened the heart of one man.

Etc.  

Pretty much everything in the Bible was quite clear. But I didn't go to a "Sunday School" church. We read the Bible. And we weren't Puritans. Weird as crazy as it was, the one thing we weren't wasn't Puritanical nor prudish.

EDIT: But I think people were open about this because it wasn't far from most folks' home lives. //:=)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:46:28 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #857 on: August 24, 2011, 01:02:22 PM »

Point is, if we're reading about things that happened, I want to read about things that happened, not just coy hints and winks from an author or director.

What's a coy hint? The Bible says Lot's daughters got him drunk and raped him, it doesn't need to describe every pelvic thrust.

I don't know which genre it would be intended as, other than as an attempted explanation of the iniquity of Ammon and Moab. I have a hard time believing Peter would actually call Lot a righteous man if he really did rape his own daughters, that far dwarfs any other Patriarchal wrong-doing.

He was drunk and Ham started it. He was also pretty angry afterward.

Verboten vulgarity replaced with something more acceptable  - PtA
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:42:02 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #858 on: August 24, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »

Verboten vulgarity replaced with something more acceptable  - PtA

That's the MOST awesome defense ever. literal LOL. spit and computer and all that.

Thank you. Better than coffee for a pick me up.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:42:48 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #859 on: August 24, 2011, 01:07:08 PM »

You're welcome. The money for your new keyboard is in the mail.  laugh
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:07:45 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #860 on: August 24, 2011, 10:40:38 PM »

Priest = disgustingly uninteresting vamps and utter boredom. I definitely prefer a more seductive vamp.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #861 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »

Priest = disgustingly uninteresting vamps and utter boredom. I definitely prefer a more seductive vamp.

Team Edward?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #862 on: August 25, 2011, 12:17:29 AM »

Team Edward?

Not bad, I suppose. I what thinking more of Count Dracula, Christopher Lee style. Wink

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #863 on: August 25, 2011, 12:24:33 AM »

Team Edward?

Not bad, I suppose. I what thinking more of Count Dracula, Christopher Lee style. Wink

I will admit he has a sexy voice.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #864 on: August 25, 2011, 12:48:03 AM »

Team Edward?

Lovely English voice. And he's the proto bad-boy vamp!  laugh

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #865 on: August 25, 2011, 12:56:08 AM »

You all make me sick.

This > than all things else vampirage:

Cutting edge TV. One of the best non-cable TV series ever. Broke many rules on TV which other shows just merely toy with.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #866 on: August 25, 2011, 01:42:00 AM »

You all make me sick.

We are cool that way. Wink

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #867 on: August 25, 2011, 02:04:03 AM »

Team Edward?

Forgive my sins.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #868 on: August 25, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »

^^ Someone's completely missed the point of vampiric immortality.  laugh

Watched the Eagle the other night. Wasn't bad. Was up at Hadrian's Wall a few weeks ago. Fabulously interesting!

Pirates of the Carribean #4. Why did they bother? Was kind of excited to see that the scene with King George was actually filmed at Hampton Court Palace! After that I lost interest completely.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #869 on: August 25, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »

Team Edward?

C'mon, you are from Oz, he has nothing on you!  Roll Eyes

Forgive my sins.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #870 on: August 25, 2011, 01:15:56 PM »

So it must be offensive to be artistic? Not gonna buy into that my friend. I always say that any message or story can be creatively portrayed in a manner that is suitable for children. If an artist has to use profanity, nudity, vulgarity, and gore to convey his point, then he is a poor artist indeed. And sadly, or society is rife with very poor artists. But that doesn't mean we have to settle for the garbage they produce. T

I guess the Lives of the Saints is beneath your artistic level. (Or is it perhaps above it?)

Selam

I don't mean to pick on you, my friend, but I've always thought about this.

The Bible itself, as well as the history of the Church, has stories that I wouldn't consider "Child-friendly" at all.

Yes, companies do abridge the Bible and put it in terms that younger children can understand and appreciate, but I think is fine for them. I

But I've wondered whether we, as adults, should ourselves seek the "child-friendly" route. We can read the Bible. We read literature that isn't always "appropriate." Of course it isn't kosher to love vulgarity, but watching sugar-coated stories about real-life events that were much more raw, tragic, etc., comes off as so false. I'd rather not watch any movies than have to watch the stuff that is put out by today's evangelical Christian market (I don't know of the movie you're talking about, so I am not being specific here).

I used to be surrounded by adults who would ooh and ahh over movies like Fireproof and One Night With the King (awful, really). I really don't understand it myself. I think that we could use to inject some more reality in movies, not just what Focus on the Family happens to find appropriate at any given time.

But I also understand the critique that we shouldn't necessarily be wanting more sex, vulgar language, etc. in movies. I happen to stand on the other side of that, though.

The Bible will offend everyone, as the Truth always does. But there is righteous way to convey the Truth, and I doubt if any Orhtodox Christian will accuse the prophets and apostles of conveying their message in an unrighteous manner.

There is a huge difference between the way Dostoevsky conveys dark and disturbing realities and the way Hollywood typically does. Dostoevsky was an artist, and he didn't need to graphically describe sexual acts and body parts in a salacious manner. He didn't need to have his characters curse profusely in order to make us realize they were reprobate. True artists don't have to sugar coat anything, but neither do they have to be gratuitous in order to convey their message. It's called creativity, of which there is a dearth in our current society.

Selam

You are good at framing debate where no one was talking.

Not fair enough.

You have your emotional and idiosyncratic axes to grind.

That is fine. Just don't go looking for them in hands where they ain't.

And really given your recent list of thinkers you hold in esteem and taste in film, I'll pass on your aesthetic judgement.

Yeah, the Bible: incestual, homosexual rape? But hey it is the truth. And I knew what I was reading when I was kid when I read it.

The Bible would be rated NC-17 if it were filmed true to form.

Gosh my friend, whose got the axe to grind here? Why all the venom in your comments to me? We can have an amicable discussion even in disagreement can't we?  Huh

Selam

You should hear how I talk to my friends. It is much worse. And I ain't the one throwing insults. That would you telling me about my ivory tower.

This is called internetz polemics.

This ain't venom, this is lightweight.

You aren't used to being called out on your poor use of rhetoric. Put "Selam" after you misconstrue what someone says and toss in a personal jab and all is OK? Fine by me. But show me where I am wrong.

You are a moving target. You argue with someone about something they have said.

And for some reason OC.net hasn't saved any of my drafts this morning. I had some real zingers about MLK.

I would like to remind you fine gentlemen and the rest of the posters on this thread that this part of the forum is for general conversation and NOT for debate, nitpicking, abrasive language, or basically anything outside of polite discussion.  This is a public warning to all of you to stick to the rules & realize what thread you are posting in.  Keep in mind that you could start a daughter post/thread in just about any other part of the board.  Hint, hint. 

- Serb1389. General Fora Moderator 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #871 on: August 25, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »

Mary and  Max - best flm I've seen for a long time.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #872 on: August 25, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »

En Ganske Snill Mann - A Somewhat Gentle Man starring Stellan Skarsgård (aka Dr. Erik Selvig in Thor/The Avengers)

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #873 on: September 08, 2011, 03:30:40 AM »

Big Wednesday

I stumbled across this one on Netflix. A wonderful movie with the best surfing footage I've ever seen. Awesome stuff!

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #874 on: September 09, 2011, 09:04:25 AM »

Verboten vulgarity replaced with something more acceptable  - PtA

Just as a note, that is a very unsubstantial interpretation.

Origen seemed to believe that Ham simply mocked his father for being drunk and naked and that was a sacrilege.
Modern interpretations point to some passages in the OT where the phrase used in that passage is used euphemistically to refer to having sex to a man's wife, thus Ham would have commited incest with his mother and not with Noah.

I'm with Origen on this. The text does not lend itself to such perversions without *large* leaps of interpretation and I really don't like the tabloid  interpretations many scholars use for the Bible, always looking for the most perverted scandal they could imagine based on the faintest evidence.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:05:04 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #875 on: September 16, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »

I'm watching 9th Company again.  Right now the Muj are overrunning the base.  Great film.  Russian Full Metal Jacket.  Down to boot camp.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #876 on: September 16, 2011, 12:17:32 AM »

Your Highness
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #877 on: September 16, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »

Based on a conversation from another thread I want to see Woodie Allen's "The Front" again. It's about the Red Scare in the 1950's. Zero Mostel is in it and gives the best performance of his career I think.

Several of the people who appear in the film, including Mostel were hauled in front of the House Un-American Activities Committee in real life and were blacklisted ( they couldn't work in Hollywood for many years).

Here's a clip.. Warning.. He drops the F bomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE5rvXn9Wkc

The Movie is a little bit of pay back.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:04:43 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #878 on: September 16, 2011, 07:31:38 PM »

Last night Cecil B Demilles' "King of Kings" from 1927.

Tonight "Rasputin" with Alan Rickman.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:32:54 PM by Vlad » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #879 on: September 17, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »

THOR, THOR, THOR, THOR, THOR again, THOR, THOR.  Grin

Forgive my sins.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #880 on: September 19, 2011, 11:28:35 PM »

Just watched Ingredients with husby (my stupid nickname for him -- I think I'll use it here, too).

We just got Netflix a month ago, and we finally accomplished it. I KNEW we were going to get the "Critically Acclaimed Cerebral Documentaries" category eventually, because we are so hipster and watch food/environmentalist/political documentaries all the time. The other one is something about comedy, so we're not totally lost causes.  angel

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #881 on: September 20, 2011, 08:30:39 AM »

Was gonna stick this in the Sports thread since a sports film was brought up.

Decided it would get more attention here. And I hope its gets your attention //:=)

If I ain't playing or I ain't gotta alotta scratch on a game, I don't care about sports, especially when boxing died.

But in terms of sport films . . .

Two of my favorite movies:

Forget MLK and the rest, this man did more to move more racists in this country to love a black man. He was the you-know many hated to love. Charisma, grace, looks, power, wit, the man was who any man in his right mind would want to be:

Saw it on the big screen and DVD. The DVD ending made the film even more heart warming / breaking. No need to be a boxing fan for this. Just as much a story about good old George Foreman as Mike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Man everyone kid I grew up with wanted to be. Shocking film. Was blown away. Nothing I expected. Don't have to enjoy boxing nor like the man. Probably the greatest, sorry Ali, of all time. He is one of those names who gets named among the greatest in their field and yet remains under-appreciated. The next time I hear someone call him a great "puncher", they are likely to get knocked out. He was boxing.

The eloquence of this film is staggering. Mike has a unique and incredibly interesting voice, literally and figuratively. A fine, fine story teller. Perhaps not one of the most truthful accounts of a life, but certainly one of the most honest. A quiet and meditative film on a life of sound and fury which shows sound and fury indeed can signify much in the end in the most surprising of ways.

If you watch either of these films and you ain't moved or don't appreciate the sheer brilliance of story telling here, we have no reason to speak to each other.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #882 on: September 20, 2011, 01:06:22 PM »

Forgot to post.  Smiley

USA 13 - Russia 6 in the 2011 Rugby World Cup

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/matches/match=10931/index.html

Forgive my sins.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #883 on: September 20, 2011, 04:35:24 PM »

Just recently saw The Lark Farm on Netflix streaming, very powerful movie about an Armenian family during the genocide.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #884 on: September 20, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »

"The Queen's Sister" I caught this piece of fluff on cable the other day. Lucy Cohu does a good job as Mrs. Windsor's kid sister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuXFHOv2eoM

Proverbs 22:7
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #885 on: September 20, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »

Netflix shipped us Gran Torino. Maybe I'll be able to watch it when my Chinese teacher stops giving us quizzes every day.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #886 on: September 20, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »

"The Queen's Sister" I caught this piece of fluff on cable the other day. Lucy Cohu does a good job as Mrs. Windsor's kid sister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuXFHOv2eoM

You have no idea how much delight this posts of yours bring to my life.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #887 on: September 20, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »

Netflix shipped us Gran Torino. Maybe I'll be able to watch it when my Chinese teacher stops giving us quizzes every day.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

(P.S. - Don't watch this movie with your Chinese teacher.)
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #888 on: September 20, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »

From what little of it I've seen, that's probably a good idea. LOL.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #889 on: September 20, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Are they actually speaking Chinese and not Hmong?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #890 on: September 20, 2011, 10:25:24 PM »

Was gonna stick this in the Sports thread since a sports film was brought up.

Decided it would get more attention here. And I hope its gets your attention //:=)

If I ain't playing or I ain't gotta alotta scratch on a game, I don't care about sports, especially when boxing died.

But in terms of sport films . . .

Two of my favorite movies:

Forget MLK and the rest, this man did more to move more racists in this country to love a black man. He was the you-know many hated to love. Charisma, grace, looks, power, wit, the man was who any man in his right mind would want to be:

Saw it on the big screen and DVD. The DVD ending made the film even more heart warming / breaking. No need to be a boxing fan for this. Just as much a story about good old George Foreman as Mike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Man everyone kid I grew up with wanted to be. Shocking film. Was blown away. Nothing I expected. Don't have to enjoy boxing nor like the man. Probably the greatest, sorry Ali, of all time. He is one of those names who gets named among the greatest in their field and yet remains under-appreciated. The next time I hear someone call him a great "puncher", they are likely to get knocked out. He was boxing.

The eloquence of this film is staggering. Mike has a unique and incredibly interesting voice, literally and figuratively. A fine, fine story teller. Perhaps not one of the most truthful accounts of a life, but certainly one of the most honest. A quiet and meditative film on a life of sound and fury which shows sound and fury indeed can signify much in the end in the most surprising of ways.

If you watch either of these films and you ain't moved or don't appreciate the sheer brilliance of story telling here, we have no reason to speak to each other.

TYSON was a good documentary. I always had a soft spot in my heart for him. There's no doubt in my mind that the rape charge was bogus. I can't imagine the anger he must have felt at suffering such an injutice, especially considering the harships he endured growing up. But he also brought alot of pain upon himself due to bad choices and destructive habits; yet that sums up many of us. As for his boxing prowess, yes he was more than just a great puncher. He was a student of the sweet science and worked hard to hone his boxing skills. However, he was nowhere close to Ali, and I think Ali would have dispensed with him just as he did Sonny Liston. Tyson's opponents were nowhere near the caliber of Ali's. But Tyson is definitely one of the top ten heavyweights, maybe one of the top 5.

I couldn't see what the Ali movie was. Was it the Will Smith one? If so, that was alright. But the ultimate Ali movie is "When We Were Kings," which is a wonderful documentary focused around the Rumble in the Jungle. I cry every time I watch it. An incredible movie about an incredible human being. There are two people whose names and images are recognized by people in every country of every continent in the world: Muhammad Ali and Bob Marley. That's greatness!

Selam
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:27:08 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #891 on: September 20, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »

When We Were Kings

Awesome film. The DVD ending is challenge someone not to crying during.

Never Will Smith.

Weird you couldn't see the graphic.

Won't get into the Ali vs. Tyson debate.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #892 on: September 20, 2011, 11:12:32 PM »

Because there isn't one. Ali is/was the greatest fighter of all time.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #893 on: September 20, 2011, 11:16:39 PM »

Cassius Clay

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #894 on: September 20, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »

Because there isn't one. Ali is/was the greatest fighter of all time.

Yep!

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #895 on: September 20, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »

When We Were Kings

Yeah, like I said, I cry every time I watch it. One of my favorite things about the film is watching the footage of Don King's face go from a cheesy grin to a scowl in a nano-second when he enters the ring immediately after the fight was over. He was approaching Ali all ready to exploit his heroic victory, and Ali obviously looked him dead in the eye and said something that really humiliated him. If I ever meet Ali, I'm going to ask him what he said to Don King at that moment. I imagine it was something along the lines of what he said to Ernie Terrell.  Wink

Selam
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:32:34 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #896 on: September 20, 2011, 11:35:41 PM »

I needed that!  Never gets old.  Grin

Selam

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #897 on: September 20, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »

When We Were Kings

Yeah, like I said, I cry every time I watch it. One of my favorite things about the film is watching the footage of Don King's face go from a cheesy grin to a scowl in a nano-second when he enters the ring immediately after the fight was over. He was approaching Ali all ready to exploit his heroic victory, and Ali obviously looked him dead in the eye and said something that really humiliated him. If I ever meet Ali, I'm going to ask him what he said to Don King at that moment. I imagine it was something along the lines of what he said to Ernie Terrell.  Wink

Selam

For me the real subject in the end is Foreman. He under goes a ridiculous degree of character development. When he helps Ali to receive the award after seeing how mean and hard hearted he was . . .

George's quiet story told in the background of the brash and brilliance of Ali is what breaks and thus opens my heart.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #898 on: September 21, 2011, 03:11:58 AM »

When We Were Kings

Selam

For me the real subject in the end is Foreman. He under goes a ridiculous degree of character development. When he helps Ali to receive the award after seeing how mean and hard hearted he was . . .

George's quiet story told in the background of the brash and brilliance of Ali is what breaks and thus opens my heart.

No doubt. George Foreman is a wonderful person, and I have so much respect for him. Ali's relationship with Joe Frasier was deeply strained for many years, and I must admit it was mostly due to Ali's behavior. But I think in the end, almost everyone that had a profound encounter with Ali was the better for it. Sonny Liston was certainly a tragic exception. But we must not forget that there would be no Ali without Foreman, Frasier, and the other exceptional fighters whose character and skill provided indellible moments in the ring and transformative stories outside of it.

Selam
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:12:31 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #899 on: September 23, 2011, 10:38:46 PM »

GET OFF MY LAWN!

ROFL

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: