OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:45:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 112986 times) Average Rating: 0
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #720 on: July 16, 2011, 12:40:40 PM »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2  angel

Forgive my sins.
Stephen St. Pierre

Faith: Inquirer to Eastern Orthodoxy

This user has been banned.

« Reply #721 on: July 16, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »

I watched lately:

Ostrov (Russian: The Island) - Somewhere in Northern Russia in a small Russian Orthodox monastery lives an unusual man (a holy fool!) whose bizarre conduct confuses his fellow monks, while others who visit the island believe that the man has the power to heal, exorcise demons and foretell the future. Amazing faith and repentance shown by this monk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw8HUH7M2qU

Missing Links - “Now you will discover the definitive truth about 9/11 and learn why even the most popular movies on the subject have failed to address the evidence exhaustively presented in this video. The facts will make it abundantly clear that the so-called 9/11 “Truth” movement has been infiltrated and is ultimately controlled by the same criminal group who masterminded the attacks. As they say, ‘if you want to control the dissent you lead the dissent.’ Utilizing evidence from the FBI, CIA, NSA, US Armed Forces Intelligence sectors, Foreign Intelligence organizations, local law enforcement agencies and independent investigators, Missing Links goes where no other 9/11 video has dared to.”

http://www.911missinglinks.com/watch-movie/

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #722 on: July 16, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »

I watched lately:

Ostrov (Russian: The Island) - Somewhere in Northern Russia in a small Russian Orthodox monastery lives an unusual man (a holy fool!) whose bizarre conduct confuses his fellow monks, while others who visit the island believe that the man has the power to heal, exorcise demons and foretell the future. Amazing faith and repentance shown by this monk!

I LOVE Ostrov, such a good story.  angel

Missing Links - “Now you will discover the definitive truth about 9/11 and learn why even the most popular movies on the subject have failed to address the evidence exhaustively presented in this video. The facts will make it abundantly clear that the so-called 9/11 “Truth” movement has been infiltrated and is ultimately controlled by the same criminal group who masterminded the attacks. As they say, ‘if you want to control the dissent you lead the dissent.’ Utilizing evidence from the FBI, CIA, NSA, US Armed Forces Intelligence sectors, Foreign Intelligence organizations, local law enforcement agencies and independent investigators, Missing Links goes where no other 9/11 video has dared to.”

I'd love to watch this movie (I'm very much a 9/11 Truther), but the movie doesnt show up on the link, just a big blank spot.  Undecided

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #723 on: July 16, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »

Some DVDs I bought recently:

I Spit on Your Grave (1978) - Rape and revenge. Interesting movie. Ending was a bit of a letdown.

I Spit on Your Grave (2010) - More rape and revenge. Better than the original.

Andersonville - Prison camp--Civil war style. This movie gets less interesting as each year passes.

Children of the Living Dead - Terrible horror movie, but one of my guilty pleasures.

No Retreat, No Surrender - Van Damme is in this one, but the rest of the movie is so completely awful that VD actually doesn't seem half bad in comparison.

The Ruins - Some of the stuff in this movie made me pull my now-almost-nonexistent hair out. I ended up liking it in spite of itself though.

There are many foolish priests out there.
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #724 on: July 16, 2011, 10:58:10 PM »

No Retreat, No Surrender - Van Damme is in this one, but the rest of the movie is so completely awful that VD actually doesn't seem half bad in comparison.

It's a classic. I have it on a VHS with two others: Bloodsport and The Last Dragon.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #725 on: July 16, 2011, 11:02:48 PM »

It's a classic. I have it on a VHS with two others: Bloodsport and The Last Dragon.

I recently bought it on DVD. Amazon, etc. didn't have any (region 1) available, so I just googled to find a copy and bought one. I have to admit that it didn't live up to my nostalgic memories of it from my youth Wink Grin angel

Stephen St. Pierre

« Reply #726 on: July 16, 2011, 11:07:01 PM »

I watched lately:

I LOVE Ostrov, such a good story.  angel

I'd love to watch this movie (I'm very much a 9/11 Truther), but the movie doesnt show up on the link, just a big blank spot.  Undecided

Weird. I think maybe they censored it from Vimeo or something. I know YouTube doesn't like it either. How about this one?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7877765982288566190

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #727 on: July 17, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »

Weird. I think maybe they censored it from Vimeo or something. I know YouTube doesn't like it either. How about this one?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7877765982288566190

Yup, this one works. Thanks mate!

Forgive my sins.
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #728 on: July 17, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »

I watched lately:

Not fond at all of  Clint Eastwood are you Stephen?

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #729 on: July 17, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

Just watched Part 1 last night so now I'm stoked for Part 2!

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #730 on: July 17, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »

The first part is really intense!
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #731 on: July 17, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »

I know my hand was sore at the end from clinching the whole time! It had been so long since I'd seen a new HP that I was blown away by how far they've come. I don't like theaters though so I hope Pt2 gets to DVD quick.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #732 on: July 17, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

Rachel has me watching Unsolved Mysteries on DVD, probably doesnt count as a movie, but still.  Cool

Forgive my sins.
Stephen St. Pierre

« Reply #733 on: July 17, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »

I watched lately:

Not fond at all of  Clint Eastwood are you Stephen?

Huh Where'd that come from?

Indeed I am. I like his old stuff like 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly'. 'Gran Torino' was good too.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #734 on: July 17, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »

The Iron Giant. It was a nice, surprisingly smart bit of nostalgia.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #735 on: July 17, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »

I know my hand was sore at the end from clinching the whole time! It had been so long since I'd seen a new HP that I was blown away by how far they've come. I don't like theaters though so I hope Pt2 gets to DVD quick.

We need to talk . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
thefizzle656

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #736 on: July 17, 2011, 11:44:29 PM »

Coming to America.  It may be old, but it is still really funny.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #737 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:36 AM »

I put The Searchers in my Netflix queue.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #738 on: July 18, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »

Just finished introducing the Star Wars saga to my sister in law over the past several weeks. Against my brother's wish we went in the order of release (4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3). We substituted the Phantom Edits for the prequels, to avoid the awkward bits. And there was much rejoicing.

Having watched them all in a short span of time, it's interesting how filmmaking evolved in the last 35 years. Episode 2 is definitely the most technically polished / modern of the series (with its multitudes of slow zooms and pans, perfect lighting, etc). Episode 3 apparently attempted to bridge the gap, with rougher techniques, more retro optical effects, and the return of 70s scifi production design.

She didn't seem to particularly enjoy them but oh well. My brother and I did. Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:17:56 AM by bogdan » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #739 on: July 18, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »

Many young people probably find it impossible to believe that Eddie Murphy was once funny.

Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #740 on: July 18, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »

Many young people probably find it impossible to believe that Eddie Murphy was once funny.

ppl loose there ability to be funny when they get old
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #741 on: July 18, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »

We need to talk . . .

Shoot my friend ...

Oh I finally got around to seeing Dead Man and I'll admit at first I turned it off; I wasn't in the right mood. Went back a few days later and was surprised I got bored the first time. Each scene in itself sometimes confused me or got real slow, but when you start putting them together and see it as a larger piece, the beauty becomes apparent. I heard your slow moving comment but didn't take it to heart like I should've. Overall I was glad I watched it.
I'm still dying to see Meek's Cutoff! Since you mentioned it I've read so many great reviews.  I might have to take a trip to BBuster since you can't stream it on the Flix.

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #742 on: July 18, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »

Zardoz

I think this was the weirdest movie I have ever seen. Very thought provoking yet, so bizarre that at several times of the film, I doubted the sanity of the director. It does, however, make for a good post-credits discussion.

The trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #743 on: July 18, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »

George Carlin is absolute proof this ain't true. And the best folks usually just die before they get old. We brilliantly hilarious people come from backgrounds where the environment ate away the parts of our brains which do not allow certain juxtapositions to be made, thus giving the ability to put together surprising and humorous elements together, often mixing the banal with the vulgar.

The other part of losing that part of your brain is that you are probably going to drink and drug yourself to an early grave or just go a more direct path of suicide.

All great comedy comes from people who were put through the grinder and were able to laugh while it happened.

Except dear old George, who had a lovely childhood, sane adult life, and long and wonderful marriage.

May his memory be eternal.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #744 on: July 18, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »

George Carlin is absolute proof this ain't true. And the best folks usually just die before they get old. We brilliantly hilarious people come from backgrounds where the environment ate away the parts of our brains which do not allow certain juxtapositions to be made, thus giving the ability to put together surprising and humorous elements together, often mixing the banal with the vulgar.

The other part of losing that part of your brain is that you are probably going to drink and drug yourself to an early grave or just go a more direct path of suicide.

All great comedy comes from people who were put through the grinder and were able to laugh while it happened.

Except dear old George, who had a lovely childhood, sane adult life, and long and wonderful marriage.

May his memory be eternal.

Don't forget the cocaine.  But yes, may his memory be eternal.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #745 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:26 PM »

Zardoz

I think this was the weirdest movie I have ever seen. Very thought provoking yet, so bizarre that at several times of the film, I doubted the sanity of the director. It does, however, make for a good post-credits discussion.

Sean Connery???

Forgive my sins.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #746 on: July 18, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »

Zardoz

The gun is good. The penis is evil... Go forth and kill

Words to live by.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #747 on: July 18, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »

Sean Connery???
In a diaper...

Some say he did it because he was tired of being Bond and wanted to ruin the image.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #748 on: July 18, 2011, 10:30:35 PM »

Zardoz

Sean Connery???

I can't believe people ain't seen nor heard of this bizarre piece.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #749 on: July 19, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »

Zardoz

Sean Connery???

I can't believe people ain't seen nor heard of this bizarre piece.

Heard of - Yes.  Seen - No.

Debating on getting Netflix or finding a Blockbusters that is still around.  Haven't seen Seven Samurai and Yojimbo for quite some time.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #750 on: July 21, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »

Going to see Captain America at midnight. I'll let you know what I think.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #751 on: July 24, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »

Zardoz

I saw that one when it was in the theaters... It was weird then, too.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #752 on: July 24, 2011, 11:51:58 AM »

Eddie Murphy is funny when he's done voice work like Donkey in Shrek... at least we think so in our family.  Wink

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #753 on: July 24, 2011, 11:53:57 AM »

Cars 2  and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt. 2

I enjoyed both of them very much.

I also saw (via NetFlix) the "Mythbusters" where they take on and bust the "Moon Landings never happened" myths... Lots of fun.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #754 on: July 24, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »

Yesterday, I watched a DVD I got from Rent Anime, "Visions of Suffering." It was a live-action movie. It's a very, very creepy Russian horror film about vampires. It's shot as if you're looking through a keyhole. That'd be fine now and then, but for over two hours it was hard to take. A bit too tacky for me. Very frightening, but too off-kilter to be something I'd want to see again. I've got to see something happy today to make up for it.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #755 on: July 24, 2011, 06:36:39 PM »

Guess what I'm watching.  Grin

Forgive my sins.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #756 on: July 24, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

Very good. On par with the other Marvel Studios films (except Iron Man 2, which was pretty meh in comparison). I also saw Good Night, and Good Luck, which was very well-done, if a tad slow-paced.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #757 on: July 24, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »

Very good. On par with the other Marvel Studios films (except Iron Man 2, which was pretty meh in comparison). I also saw Good Night, and Good Luck, which was very well-done, if a tad slow-paced.

So is it comparable to Thor then? I LOVED Thor.

Forgive my sins.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #758 on: July 24, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »

I saw Captain America yesterday, too!

It was a fairly typical Marvel movie, but not a bad summer flick. I was talking about more innovation or something and my husband rolled his eyes. I never read Marvel comics, and I suppose that the true comparison lies in its faithfulness to the original Captain America stories.

But yes, as a woman, I bumped up the rating a little bit.  Wink Hello! Chris Evans looked quite dashing in that role. I also loved the period clothing in general as well.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #759 on: July 24, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »

I just ordered Zardoz from the rental service. I expect it should be fun.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #760 on: July 25, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »

So is it comparable to Thor then? I LOVED Thor.
Yeah. Comparable to Thor definitely. I personally liked it a bit better due to better action (which is to be expected when your director is the Rocketeer guy rather than the Hamlet guy.)
I saw Captain America yesterday, too!

It was a fairly typical Marvel movie, but not a bad summer flick. I was talking about more innovation or something and my husband rolled his eyes. I never read Marvel comics, and I suppose that the true comparison lies in its faithfulness to the original Captain America stories.

But yes, as a woman, I bumped up the rating a little bit.  Wink Hello! Chris Evans looked quite dashing in that role. I also loved the period clothing in general as well.
It was fairly faithful, and I understand why they deviated when they did. The only thing I would have changed for the sake of faithfulness would have been Bucky's relationship with Steve. I understand why they didn't want to go with the kid-sidekick angle, but it would have been nice if they tried to capture the whole big-brother, little-brother dynamic. Still, overall, a worthy build-up to this.

I saw Unknown last night (I watch a lot of movies in the summer.) It would have been a rather mediocre thriller if it hadn't contained the force of awesomeness that is Liam Neeson.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:31:03 PM by That person » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #761 on: July 25, 2011, 12:56:40 PM »

Still waiting for Panzer 88 to come out.  It's going to be a horror movie about the crew of a King Tiger facing off vs a Demon. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #762 on: July 25, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »

Anyone going to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes (coming out Aug. 5th)? I didn't like the 2001 Planet of the Apes at all, but I get the impression that this one might be better...

Also...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:01:33 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #763 on: July 25, 2011, 05:06:43 PM »

Anyone going to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes (coming out Aug. 5th)? I didn't like the 2001 Planet of the Apes at all, but I get the impression that this one might be better...

Also...

I was looking forward to it until I saw the trailer.  I'll go see the movie but it's going to have to really rely on more than a bunch of CGI special effects.  That's what made the original Planet of the Apes movies so awesomely good - special effects using actors instead of CGI.  Those CGI apes just look too soulless and fake.

As for what I'm watching, I finally got to see Watchmen this weekend.  I still haven't made up my mind on that one though. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #764 on: July 26, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »

Still waiting for Panzer 88 to come out.  It's going to be a horror movie about the crew of a King Tiger facing off vs a Demon. 

I saw an interesting (not necessarily good) Nazi-vs.-demon movie called The Keep recently. It's set in Romania.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: