OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:02:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 122695 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #450 on: February 23, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »

I saw The Rite.  It reminded me why I love Anthony Hopkins as an actor.  It is also a great story.  From a Christian perspective, it is one of the few exorcism movies worth watching.

The movie was much better than the reviews it received! I wish it would have left the sensationalism out and stayed strictly to the book however; reality is far more frightening than fantasy. But considering this is Hollywood, I  thought the movie was well done. I do highly recommend reading the book.

Selam

I might have to take you up on this recommendation.  

Also, I just got done watching Platoon for the first time, start to finish.  Next up Hamburger Hill.

Platoon was a good movie. I'd skip Hamburger Hill though. As far as movies about Vietnam, I think The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now are by far the best. The Killing Fieds was also well done. But I can't watch these things anymore.

Selam
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:24:01 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #451 on: February 23, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »

I saw The Rite.  It reminded me why I love Anthony Hopkins as an actor.  It is also a great story.  From a Christian perspective, it is one of the few exorcism movies worth watching.

The movie was much better than the reviews it received! I wish it would have left the sensationalism out and stayed strictly to the book however; reality is far more frightening than fantasy. But considering this is Hollywood, I  thought the movie was well done. I do highly recommend reading the book.

Selam

Also, I just got done watching Platoon for the first time, start to finish.  Next up Hamburger Hill.

Platoon was a good movie. I'd skip Hamburger Hill though. As far as movies about Vietnam, I think The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now are by far the best. The Killing Fieds was also well done. But I can't watch these things anymore.

Selam

I have only seen snippets of The Deer Hunter so it might have to make it's way onto my VN list.  I have seen most of Apocalypse Now but I really didn't enjoy it, other than Ride of the Valkyries and 'Charlie don't surf'.  I don't think it was quite as good as FMJ or Platoon as far as movies-with-messages go, and for straight-up war movies, nothing beats The Siege of Firebase Gloria.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #452 on: February 25, 2011, 11:26:53 PM »

I'm thinking about watching the Truman Show tonight. Anything I should know before getting into it?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #453 on: February 25, 2011, 11:33:05 PM »

Apocalypse Now FTW, please skip the Redux version of it...ruined the film.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #454 on: February 25, 2011, 11:51:03 PM »

Selam

Selam

Full Metal Jacket FTW.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #455 on: February 25, 2011, 11:51:38 PM »

I'm thinking about watching the Truman Show tonight. Anything I should know before getting into it?

Don't.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #456 on: February 25, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »

FMJ is overrated, only the boot camp scene is good with Vincent D'Onfornio.

Kubrick has done way better and was capable of so much more.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #457 on: February 25, 2011, 11:54:24 PM »

Over-rated. The documentary about it Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse film primarily is actually be a more engaging piece of film making.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #458 on: February 25, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »

Your lauding of The Mission pretty much disqualifies your taste as any decent barometer of quality of film and movies.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #459 on: February 26, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »

Your lauding of The Mission pretty much disqualifies your taste as any decent barometer of quality of film and movies.

I actually didn't laud the film. The thread asked "What movies are you watching?" and I was watching it at the time.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #460 on: February 26, 2011, 12:01:37 AM »

Over-rated. The documentary about it Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse film primarily is actually be a more engaging piece of film making.

HoD is a good doc, but Apocalypse Now as overrated? No.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #461 on: February 26, 2011, 12:09:10 AM »

I actually didn't laud the film. The thread asked "What movies are you watching?" and I was watching it at the time.

When did facts get in the way of internets?

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #462 on: February 26, 2011, 12:09:32 AM »

Don't.
Any particular reason for that?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #463 on: February 26, 2011, 12:11:03 AM »

So how could I qualify the Mission as a bad movie if I never saw it before? Your logic fails.

BTW Ennio Morricone's score was fantastic.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #464 on: February 26, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »

Don't.

Terrible film. *shrug* From the acting to the "moral" of the story. Worn out and dated before production and derivative.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #465 on: February 26, 2011, 12:15:34 AM »

So how could I qualify the Mission as a bad movie if I never saw it before? Your logic fails.

Do you possess a scintilla of a sense of humor?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #466 on: February 26, 2011, 12:18:18 AM »

Do you possess a scintilla of a sense of humor?
Damage control?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #467 on: February 26, 2011, 12:19:43 AM »

Don't.

Terrible film. *shrug* From the acting to the "moral" of the story. Worn out and dated before production and derivative.

Hm. I known a lot of people who have liked it, and the download is almost finished, so I guess I'll make a judgement and post it here.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #468 on: February 26, 2011, 12:23:36 AM »

Don't.

Hm. I known a lot of people who have liked it, and the download is almost finished, so I guess I'll make a judgement and post it here.

If you are interested in the broad theme it attempts to address, which you could basically garner in a better manner from America's Top Model, I highly recommend Synecdoche, New York.

Charlie Kaufmann is one of the America's greatest screenwriters and if not the best. He directs this one and gets a bit carried away, but a powerful meditation on the relationship of "art" and the intersection with "life" among other themes.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:23:58 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #469 on: February 26, 2011, 12:29:45 AM »

Synecdoche, New York is excellent.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #470 on: February 26, 2011, 12:30:22 AM »

Moon

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #471 on: February 26, 2011, 12:34:21 AM »

Don't.

If you are interested in the broad theme it attempts to address, which you could basically garner in a better manner from America's Top Model, I highly recommend Synecdoche, New York.

Charlie Kaufmann is one of the America's greatest screenwriters and if not the best. He directs this one and gets a bit carried away, but a powerful meditation on the relationship of "art" and the intersection with "life" among other themes.

I'll check that out some time. Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #472 on: February 26, 2011, 01:08:57 AM »

Yeah, I agree with you.

Selam

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #473 on: February 26, 2011, 03:07:09 PM »

Really?  Everyone thinks FMJ is overrated?  I just watched it again last night (from after boot camp to the sniper part when I stopped) and I still love the Battle for Hue City, a battle that is often overlooked.  Vietnam wasn't just all humping through the jungle.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #474 on: February 26, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »

All 3 Jurassic Parks, all 3 LOTR, and all 3 GOAL movies.

Forgive my sins.
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #475 on: March 01, 2011, 07:15:38 PM »

"of gods and men". it is a great mvoie. it is aviable online.

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #476 on: March 01, 2011, 07:20:19 PM »

Here, here.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #477 on: March 01, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »

The Band's Visit:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032856/

Proverbs 22:7
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #478 on: March 04, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »

Latest film I watched was "The Reader", with Kate Winslet, Ralph Feinnes and David Kross. Absolutely obsessed with this film - (and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sex scenes and the male nudity. laugh Anyway, there's a warning for anyone who might be interested in seeing this film and can't cope with that sort of thing.  police) The story is incredibly moving. The basic theme, I believe, being that it's not only monsters who did (think, the Holocaust) or do monstrous things. Wishing to dig deeper into the characters, I've ordered the book.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #479 on: March 04, 2011, 10:03:58 PM »

Brither sun, Sister moon about St Francis (maybe not 100 % based on history). 

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #480 on: March 05, 2011, 12:19:35 AM »

Latest film I watched was "The Reader", with Kate Winslet, Ralph Feinnes and David Kross. Absolutely obsessed with this film - (and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sex scenes and the male nudity. laugh Anyway, there's a warning for anyone who might be interested in seeing this film and can't cope with that sort of thing.  police) The story is incredibly moving. The basic theme, I believe, being that it's not only monsters who did (think, the Holocaust) or do monstrous things. Wishing to dig deeper into the characters, I've ordered the book.

Der Vorleser is a terrific novel. I wanted to hated, but it was really moving and touching and complex.

Not sure I want to see the movie adaptation . . .

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #481 on: March 05, 2011, 01:09:46 AM »

Yes, I liked the movie too.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #482 on: March 05, 2011, 01:13:40 AM »

I rented Ghost Dog the other night. One of the most unique movies I've ever seen. Forest Whitaker was excellent as usual (what an underrated actor he is!). Made me wish I had watched it a long time ago, but it was cool to be so pleasantly surprised. Beautifully directed.

(Disclaimer: might want to save this one for after Lent. It does have some strong profanity and violence.)

Selam

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #483 on: March 05, 2011, 01:17:49 AM »

I rented Ghost Dog the other night. One of the most unique movies I've ever seen. Forest Whitaker was excellent as usual (what an underrated actor he is!). Made me wish I had watched it a long time ago, but it was cool to be so pleasantly surprised. Beautifully directed.

(Disclaimer: might want to save this one for after Lent. It does have some strong profanity and violence.)

Selam

Jim Jarmusch rules. Great soundtrack by the RZA, great character acting. And Whitaker as usual is amazing.

If you are a true head and serious Japanese (edit: film) samurai nerd, not to be missed.

Awesome stuff. Kick back and vibe film.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:26:40 AM by orthonorm » Logged

ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

Faith: Inquirer to Orthodoxy

O Holy Saint Grand Duchess Elizabeth, pray for us!

« Reply #484 on: March 05, 2011, 01:26:39 AM »

Last film I watched was Titanic. Cheesy

Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Psalm 62:1 "Truly my soul silently waits for God; From Him comes my salvation."
Psalm 59:9 "I will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense."
John 11:35 "Jesus wept."
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #485 on: March 05, 2011, 01:31:27 AM »

Brazil

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #486 on: March 23, 2011, 01:51:29 AM »

Selam

Hi

I saw the Rite last night, it left some gaping questions a long the lines of the how and why's of possession. Rosaria's plight really troubled me.
Does the book go more into depth/explanations?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:57:45 AM by Phoenix73 » Logged
Phoenix73
Elder

« Reply #487 on: March 23, 2011, 01:58:57 AM »

Not sure why my quesry came up in quotes Embarrassed

This is what I wanted to say in relation to the Rite

Hi

I saw the Rite last night, it left some gaping questions a long the lines of the how and why's of possession. Rosaria's plight really troubled me.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #488 on: March 23, 2011, 03:07:34 AM »

Hi

Yes, the book goes into much more detail. Also, the Priest does not become possessed in the book. I think more information on exorcism and possession should be written from an Orthodox perspective. Most of what is out there is either Catholic or Charismatic Evangelical. I am skeptical of the idea that many exorcisms may need to be performed before a person is delivered. It seems that in the Bible demons were cast out immediately by Jesus and the Apostles. Of course, a person needs to be repentant and cooperate with their free will.

Selam

Phoenix73
Elder

« Reply #489 on: March 23, 2011, 03:40:53 AM »

Thank you,

Will buy the book, Yes pity there is not more from the Orthodox perspective. The movie seeemed unbelievable, I thought the innocent characters in the film would have been protected.

Hi

Yes, the book goes into much more detail. Also, the Priest does not become possessed in the book. I think more information on exorcism and possession should be written from an Orthodox perspective. Most of what is out there is either Catholic or Charismatic Evangelical. I am skeptical of the idea that many exorcisms may need to be performed before a person is delivered. It seems that in the Bible demons were cast out immediately by Jesus and the Apostles. Of course, a person needs to be repentant and cooperate with their free will.

Selam

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:41:39 AM by Phoenix73 » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #490 on: March 24, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »

Outland

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #491 on: March 24, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »

Defiance.

I NEVER got Daniel Craig until this movie.  Shocked [fanning myself] Oh dear! (Probably because men with Eastern European accents > men with British accents. In my book, anyway.  Grin)

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #492 on: March 24, 2011, 08:13:28 PM »

127 hours...pretty good
Band of Brothers (finished watching the first one...saw IMDB give it such an amazing rating, had to watch it)

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #493 on: March 31, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »

Highly recommend Temple Grandin....awesome insight into autistic peoples and their behaviors

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #494 on: March 31, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »

This week, I have watched "Hereafter", a storyline which zeroes in on three people, who have been touched by death in different ways, and "Bright Star", a drama based on the romance, which lasted three years before his death, between John Keats and Fanny Brawne. Beautifully filmed, I thought.

Two films, very different, but I found the characters in both to be fascinating, and the acting superb.

The third film I watched was "Age of the Dragon", a fairly lightweight fantasy based on "Moby Dick". Danny Glover's overacting, as Mad Captain Ahab in search of revenege against the great White Dragon that left him scarred for life, was irritating, but otherwise it was reasonably watchable.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: