Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 702431 times)

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #3330 on: June 16, 2018, 11:56:20 PM »
I watched "Please Stand By" yesterday and also today. The reviews were divisive. I thought it was really good. The absence of sex and violence was also a real plus.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #3331 on: June 17, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »
"Wakefield." It was interesting on many levels.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #3332 on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »
My son has really taken a liking to Thor: Ragnarok and has watched it about three times over the past week which means I have watched it three times, too.  I enjoyed it a lot, but not to the point that I needed to see it three times.
Happy Fathers' Day!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Sampson

• St. Sampson, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Chicago
« Reply #3333 on: June 25, 2018, 12:13:02 AM »
I watched Netflix's Set It Up for some reason, and it was mind-numbingly mediocre. I love a goofy, vapid romance movie from time to time, but that wasn't it.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #3334 on: June 25, 2018, 12:43:01 AM »
I saw "Jurassic World" on Friday. It was average. The lead actor wasn't very good.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Sampson

« Reply #3335 on: June 25, 2018, 10:41:24 PM »
Watched The Death of Stalin to see what all the Russian hullabaloo was about. It was pretty humorous actually, and I learned a little something about what happened after Stalin's death.

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GO Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3336 on: July 03, 2018, 09:42:18 PM »
Family tradition for the early days of July:

July 2 - Gods and Generals
July 3 - Gettysburg (today being the 155th anniversary of Pickett's charge)
July 4 - 1776

Offline Sampson

« Reply #3337 on: July 04, 2018, 10:06:02 PM »

July 4 - 1776
Gettysburg has some of the most ridiculous and obviously fake beards ever, but it's a good movie. Presuming you can get someone to sit through it with you!

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GO Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3338 on: July 04, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »

July 4 - 1776
Gettysburg has some of the most ridiculous and obviously fake beards ever, but it's a good movie. Presuming you can get someone to sit through it with you!

Even with fake beards, it is a wonderful preparation for hearing the stanza of America, the Beautiful which begins "O beautiful, for heroes proved in liberating strife..."

Got more than misty-eyed hearing that today.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3339 on: July 04, 2018, 10:56:00 PM »
Was going to see "Hereditary" today, but there was a huge thunderstorm. I'll probably go tomorrow.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3340 on: July 12, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »
The Last Jedi. I wasn't expecting much from it but I was nonetheless taken aback by just how thoroughly bad it was. I really don't understand the praise or even mild appreciation it has garnered. I feel deeply lonely in a society in which such a movie is not immediately recognized as bad.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3341 on: July 12, 2018, 07:29:28 PM »
I feel deeply lonely in a society in which such a movie is not immediately recognized as bad my opinion is not immediately counted superior to everyone else's.

Damn thing made hundreds of millions of dollars. But no, let's listen to you.

Offline Sampson

« Reply #3342 on: July 12, 2018, 07:41:55 PM »
The Last Jedi. I wasn't expecting much from it but I was nonetheless taken aback by just how thoroughly bad it was. I really don't understand the praise or even mild appreciation it has garnered. I feel deeply lonely in a society in which such a movie is not immediately recognized as bad.
At first I was bothered by the movie as well, but at this point the praise and backlash seem far, far overdone.

In truth, it's not that good and it's not that bad, it's just one more in a line of fairly vapid blockbusters that people eat up to the tune of a bajillion dollars every year.

If you actually felt alone in terms of people not eating it up, you're really not anyways. There are plenty of people out there who form film communities around more substantial movies.
I feel deeply lonely in a society in which such a movie is not immediately recognized as bad my opinion is not immediately counted superior to everyone else's.

Damn thing made hundreds of millions of dollars. But no, let's listen to you.
Box office receipts, for a multitude of reasons, are never going to be a marker of quality lol.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3343 on: July 13, 2018, 10:53:41 AM »

Damn thing made hundreds of millions of dollars.

Because that's what matters. Very Trumpian, biro.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3344 on: July 13, 2018, 11:50:20 AM »
Entertainment aims to entertain. If it does, it's done its job.

Best write-up on TLJ and how it ties into the entire Star Wars mystique incoming: http://observer.com/2018/07/film-crit-hulk-the-beautiful-ugly-and-possessive-hearts-of-star-wars/ (long but worth it)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3345 on: July 13, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »

You're right. Obviously The Last Jedi entertained many people. People found it entertaining. People also find gladiatorial combat entertaining. People think Jimmy Fallon is funny and Train is a great band. All this just proves that this civilization is inhabited by soulless empty husks of human beings.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:06:47 PM by Iconodule »
- Berdyaev

Offline Sampson

« Reply #3346 on: July 13, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
That is one of the most wretchedly dystopian views of entertainment ever. Both from a critical arts perspective, and from a religious perspective.

Lots of terrible movies have "entertained" their audiences. That doesn't make them any less terrible.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3347 on: July 13, 2018, 01:25:06 PM »

You're right. Obviously The Last Jedi entertained many people. People found it entertaining. People also find gladiatorial combat entertaining. People think Jimmy Fallon is funny and Train is a great band. All this just proves that this civilization is inhabited by soulless empty husks of human beings.

Or, you're wrong.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3348 on: July 13, 2018, 01:25:33 PM »
That is one of the most wretchedly dystopian views of entertainment ever. Both from a critical arts perspective, and from a religious perspective.

Lots of terrible movies have "entertained" their audiences. That doesn't make them any less terrible.

Yes it does.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #3349 on: July 13, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »

We all enjoy terrible things. It's just that the terrible things you enjoy are just silly/guilty pleasures/so bad they're good, and the terrible things others enjoy are proof of soullessness and suchnot.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3350 on: July 13, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #3351 on: July 13, 2018, 02:22:39 PM »
The Polka King with Jack Black; a tragedy with some hilarious situations alongside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Polka_King   
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Sampson

« Reply #3352 on: July 13, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »

Yes it does.
Haha, no it really doesn't. Appealing to the popularity of a movie as a marker of quality is one of the most basic examples of why argumentum ad populum is considered a fallacy.

Lots of people have been entertained by vile, barbaric and outright stupid entertainment throughout history. The fact that millions of people liked those vile, barbaric or stupid things doesn't mean the things weren't terrible. It just means the people watching them enjoyed vile, barbaric or stupid entertainment, possibly because they were vile, barbaric or stupid people themselves.

Popularity and a lack of popularity really mean nothing, especially in the context of entertainment.

We all enjoy terrible things. It's just that the terrible things you enjoy are just silly/guilty pleasures/so bad they're good, and the terrible things others enjoy are proof of soullessness and suchnot.
If someone says "this is a guilty pleasure" or "this is so bad it's good," the implicit admission of the statement is that the person recognizes that the thing in question is still in fact bad. If someone says that Manos: The Hands of Fate is "so bad it's good," the premise is that the movie is such a piece of junk (and it is) that they derive enjoyment from watching the onscreen trainwreck. That's basically a very elementary example of what schadenfreude can be like in entertainment. If someone says they enjoy The Room, the context is almost always about how fascinating it is to see Tommy Wiseau's psychology unfold on screen, not that the movie is actually a good movie. There's a vast chasm between saying you enjoyed something because of how bad it was versus saying it was actually good.

I don't really care about the example of Star Wars specifically since I think the movie is actually too blasé to invest that much effort into attacking or defending. But the idea that "If entertainment entertains, it's done its job" is inherently ridiculous, because it's completely utilitarian and divorced of any context or meaning.And Iconodule was pretty correct with his example to rebut that notion.

Millions of people throughout history have been "entertained" by blood sports, both involving humans and animals. The fact that they were entertained and that it "did its job" in entertaining them doesn't excuse the fact that what they watched, paid for and supported was intrinsically vile and barbaric.

Millions of people in 19th century America enjoyed minstrel shows. The fact that they were "entertained" and that the minstrel shows "did their jobs" in entertaining them doesn't excuse the fact that what they watched was depraved and racist. 

Millions of people turned out to see The Birth of a Nation in 1915, but people being entertained by it doesn't erase the fact that it's a piece of vicious racism.

If you want to defend Star Wars: TLJ, by all means go ahead. But do it on artistic merits and arguments, not "it was popular, " or "it entertained people."

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #3353 on: July 13, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
If you want to defend Star Wars: TLJ, by all means go ahead. But do it on artistic merits and arguments, not "it was popular, " or "it entertained people."

I have zero interest in defending anything. The only thing that matters to me is that I enjoyed it. If you want a blow-by-blow, feel free to read the article I linked to above.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Sampson

« Reply #3354 on: July 14, 2018, 09:46:47 PM »

I have zero interest in defending anything. The only thing that matters to me is that I enjoyed it. If you want a blow-by-blow, feel free to read the article I linked to above.
That's a remarkably hedonistic viewpoint on entertainment to share on an Orthodox forum, but you do you I guess.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3355 on: July 14, 2018, 09:49:07 PM »

That's a remarkably hedonistic viewpoint on entertainment to share on an Orthodox forum, but you do you I guess.

Wow, really. As if we're not allowed to enjoy anything and must simply trudge through life, moaning about how bad everything is.

You just want to look like you're more special than everyone else.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3356 on: July 14, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »

Yes it does.
Haha, no it really doesn't. Appealing to the popularity of a movie as a marker of quality is one of the most basic examples of why argumentum ad populum is considered a fallacy.

Lots of people have been entertained by vile, barbaric and outright stupid entertainment throughout history. The fact that millions of people liked those vile, barbaric or stupid things doesn't mean the things weren't terrible. It just means the people watching them enjoyed vile, barbaric or stupid entertainment, possibly because they were vile, barbaric or stupid people themselves.

Popularity and a lack of popularity really mean nothing, especially in the context of entertainment.

If someone says "this is a guilty pleasure" or "this is so bad it's good," the implicit admission of the statement is that the person recognizes that the thing in question is still in fact bad. If someone says that Manos: The Hands of Fate is "so bad it's good," the premise is that the movie is such a piece of junk (and it is) that they derive enjoyment from watching the onscreen trainwreck. That's basically a very elementary example of what schadenfreude can be like in entertainment. If someone says they enjoy The Room, the context is almost always about how fascinating it is to see Tommy Wiseau's psychology unfold on screen, not that the movie is actually a good movie. There's a vast chasm between saying you enjoyed something because of how bad it was versus saying it was actually good.

I don't really care about the example of Star Wars specifically since I think the movie is actually too blasé to invest that much effort into attacking or defending. But the idea that "If entertainment entertains, it's done its job" is inherently ridiculous, because it's completely utilitarian and divorced of any context or meaning.And Iconodule was pretty correct with his example to rebut that notion.

Millions of people throughout history have been "entertained" by blood sports, both involving humans and animals. The fact that they were entertained and that it "did its job" in entertaining them doesn't excuse the fact that what they watched, paid for and supported was intrinsically vile and barbaric.

Millions of people in 19th century America enjoyed minstrel shows. The fact that they were "entertained" and that the minstrel shows "did their jobs" in entertaining them doesn't excuse the fact that what they watched was depraved and racist. 

Millions of people turned out to see The Birth of a Nation in 1915, but people being entertained by it doesn't erase the fact that it's a piece of vicious racism.

Oh! So everything is just as bad as 'Birth of a Nation'!

Wow, are you easy to pique.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3357 on: Yesterday at 12:15:56 AM »
Hellraiser

I never watched this the whole way through. I'd also forgotten that it had Andrew Robinson in it. Kinda boring though.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3358 on: Yesterday at 01:22:38 AM »
"Ant Man and the Wasp." It was pretty good. I saw the first one, but I fell asleep halfway through that one, so I only remembered half the preceding plot. Still a decent movie.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #3360 on: Yesterday at 08:53:56 AM »

You're brand new here, you'll pick up a few clues along the way. :)

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God
  • High Elder
  • Господи Иисусе Христе, Сыне Божий, помилуй мя
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #3361 on: Yesterday at 08:58:17 AM »
I am going to watch the game Waiting for France vs Croatia match I am supporting Croatia
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:59:14 AM by Orthodox_Slav »
not every quiet man is humble but every humble man is quiet         st Isaac the Syrian

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3362 on: Today at 06:29:56 AM »

It's just a movie though...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.