Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 561480 times)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #2745 on: March 02, 2016, 10:16:11 AM »
Have any of you seen Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev? I've received multiple oppinions from friends on it, from "awesome" to "tedious".

It's one of those movies that I'm supposed to like as a good Orthodox Christian. Similar to Ostrov. I'm supposed to think it's the greatest thing ever. Like the works of Dostoevsky. But the bottom line is that the movie is too long and tedious. Like Dostoevsky's novels. Some great stuff along the way that makes it worth struggling through. But I'm not going to pretend that it's the greatest thing ever. The older I get, the less patient I become when it comes to literature and film. If the acting, writing, and dialogue doesn't captivate me from the get go, then I won't waste my time. But that's also probably because I'm not very bright.

We do so as we don't have that much time left around to allow boring, bad and wasteful things to be placed before us. No apology, no guilt, no time to waste.
So, one may ask, what am I doing here? (and others are asking the same, "what is he doing here besides waisting my time?")
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #2746 on: March 09, 2016, 09:59:42 AM »
Chinese Super Ninjas
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #2747 on: March 09, 2016, 06:57:45 PM »
For Iconodule, the greatest movie trailer ever:

Cyborg 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoqkDUO3xHE
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2748 on: March 11, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »

Cyborg 1989

One of THE finest films ever!
 :o

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2749 on: March 11, 2016, 11:45:35 AM »
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:46:40 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2750 on: March 11, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »

Cyborg 1989

I don't think so!

https://youtu.be/TRdG4-RMfjU

OK, ok, I was wrong: THIS is the greatest movie ever made.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2751 on: March 11, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2752 on: March 28, 2016, 09:18:10 PM »
It's Lent, why would I be watching movies :p

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2753 on: March 28, 2016, 10:33:48 PM »

Or judging.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:34:06 PM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2754 on: March 28, 2016, 10:36:18 PM »
Captain America:  The Winter Soldier.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2755 on: March 28, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »

Or judging.

Myself yes, others no. People are to quick to pull the judgement card.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2756 on: March 28, 2016, 10:43:17 PM »
Very good. It's always best to judge yourself differently than others, yes?
 ;)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2757 on: March 29, 2016, 04:26:02 AM »
Batman vs. Superman. Depressing! The big movies this year are so dark. Between that and Star Wars, I have a mind to stay home and watch Casablanca - if I want to cry at a movie, might as well stay home.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2758 on: March 29, 2016, 09:18:59 AM »
Batman vs. Superman. Depressing! The big movies this year are so dark. Between that and Star Wars, I have a mind to stay home and watch Casablanca - if I want to cry at a movie, might as well stay home.

B&S is not for children and is dark, secular (though the 'God is dead', Good v Evil, etc) is taken on. The drama goes from heavy to almost stupid/campy. When on TV in a year it should be done after 10PM, but won't be. There is one bad word to keep it at the PG13 level.  I found it very confusing with lousy continuity until 2/3 through it when it finally gels. A bit more than 'meh'.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2759 on: March 30, 2016, 02:05:33 PM »
Mike, Peacemaker, & Co.,

I made a mistake and approved a post that should not have been posted because it was a criticism of another poster.  My bad.  Please forgive me.

Now, the next 'barb' or sharp comment aimed at the person of another poster (i.e. 'helpful criticism,' sarcasm, etc.) will result in a 30% formal warning.  I am willing to let everything go previous to this post, but what goes on past here will indeed result in disciplinary action.  That includes come-backs on yet-to-be moderated comments.  If it's vengeance you want, be patient and let the professionals handle it.  Otherwise, responses to insults and passive-aggressive baloney will also result in the same punishment.

Mike, if you want to give people spiritual advice or point out their failures as human beings, just PM them.  There is such a thing as private communication even in the days of social media.

-Father Giryus
General Fora Moderator and Post Filterer Second-Class
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #2760 on: March 30, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »
As someone who likes superhero movies for what they are:

I didn'tlike deadpool.

Batman vs Superman had major flaws, but I don't think it deserves the negative criticism it has received.  No way was that worse than avengers 2.  It's also a very hard pg 13, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a fifth grader to the movie (which I did do).

My family saw the Orthodox Holy Grail: Greek Wedding 2...they treated it much more favorably than the critics did, but said it wasn't as good as the first.  Haven't seen it yet, maybe when it comes to netflix.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:05:07 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2761 on: March 30, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
My family saw the Orthodox Holy Grail: Greek Wedding 2...they treated it much more favorably than the critics did, but said it wasn't as good as the first.  Haven't seen it yet, maybe when it comes to netflix.

What I remember about the first one is mostly Michael Constantine and the groom saying "now I am Greek" after his baptism.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #2762 on: March 30, 2016, 05:13:33 PM »

What I remember about the first one is mostly Michael Constantine and the groom saying "now I am Greek" after his baptism.

I remember that scene now that you mention it.  I haven't watched the movie in awhile, other than the cute line, I don't remember that scene as particularly memorable.  L should watch it again.  Maybe I'll watch it again before I watch the second one.  It's funny that the new movie was released during Orthodox lent.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:13:45 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #2763 on: March 30, 2016, 07:29:36 PM »

It was on this past weekend and I watched it.  I'm glad that, in Nia Vardolos' mind,  to be considered Greek at least requires being baptized into the Orthodox Church, rather than just eating Greek food all the time.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #2764 on: April 03, 2016, 12:20:05 AM »
Saw Batman V Superman again....still say the reviews were overly negative.  This has inspired me to watch some of the Justice league cartoons though, which are great by any standard.  Hopefully the Wonder Woman movie does her justice, the actress who played her shows promise.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:20:35 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2765 on: April 03, 2016, 12:36:24 AM »
Saw "The Fifth Wave." It was murky, but not bad. Tomorrow I may see "The Finest Hours."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2766 on: April 03, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »

It was on this past weekend and I watched it.  I'm glad that, in Nia Vardolos' mind,  to be considered Greek at least requires being baptized into the Orthodox Church, rather than just eating Greek food all the time.

Except that scene was filmed in a Greek Catholic church.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

• Merarches
« Reply #2767 on: April 03, 2016, 05:27:32 PM »
Watched Contact with my children last night. It was worse than I remembered.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #2768 on: April 03, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »

Except that scene was filmed in a Greek Catholic church.

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #2769 on: April 03, 2016, 07:59:41 PM »

Selam

I remember seeing it twice in theaters. I wish i could go back in time and stop myself.

• Merarches
« Reply #2770 on: April 03, 2016, 11:12:53 PM »

Selam

I remember seeing it twice in theaters. I wish i could go back in time and stop myself.

I know, right? LOL.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2771 on: April 03, 2016, 11:24:33 PM »
I recently finished watching all four movies in the Hunger Games series.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2772 on: April 04, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »

Selam

I know, right? LOL.

Selam
I watched it soon after it came out and I recall rather liking it. Perhaps it has not aged well?
God bless!

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2773 on: April 04, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Saw Batman V Superman again....still say the reviews were overly negative.  This has inspired me to watch some of the Justice league cartoons though, which are great by any standard.  Hopefully the Wonder Woman movie does her justice, the actress who played her shows promise.

Agreed. BvS had serious flaws, but the critics were overly harsh. I would have put it in the 60s on rotten tomatoes, not a 29%.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2774 on: April 04, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »
^ Of course, I would have put Man of Steel at around 70% rather than the harsh 56% it received.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #2775 on: April 04, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »

Agreed. BvS had serious flaws, but the critics were overly harsh. I would have put it in the 60s on rotten tomatoes, not a 29%.

I guess there will be an extra 30 minutes when released on DVD.  It may be interesting to do an edit and see if some of the pacing and extra curricular stories and dead weight could be edited out with the extra bonus material.  Maybe a leaner and tighter story could be made when all the movie is in place and some judicious editing is done.  I think with the exception of Wonder Woman and Luthor talking about "meta humans", I'd have kept all references to an expanded universe at a bare minumum, the dream sequence and look at the files would probably have to be edited out.

The opening scene, action scenes (other than some parts of the final battle), and themes they played with in the beginning of the story were top notch.  I think most of the "parts" and ideas are there.  I liked all the actors as well, it just had flaws preventing it from being among the best of the best hero movies.  I was surprised how much I liked Afleck  and Gadot in their roles, I really thought they were going to be busts.  Like I said, it's easily better than Avengers 2 which got a 70% on RT.  And yes, I liked Man of Steel, I'd have given that movie a B average for a superhero movie.  I think the thing is, we are dealing with Superman, Batman, and Wonder WOman so expectations are sky high.  Thor, Captain AMerica, Iron Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Fantastic Four, or even Spiderman don't have such high expectations so there is room for failure and bolder experimentation. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:26:28 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2776 on: April 08, 2016, 04:04:22 PM »

The Greek reviews I saw were mostly along the 'okay, but this should have been a lot more than okay' line. Not that I ever even considered watching it.

We caught The Force Awakens on the plane out of Heathrow. I couldn't have found a better way to keep the young one behaving if I'd tried. 10 days to the DVD!
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2777 on: April 08, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »
Eye in The Sky....I like such movies but if you are merely considering it, wait a few months. It was a fair piece of propaganda.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #2778 on: April 09, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »

The Greek reviews I saw were mostly along the 'okay, but this should have been a lot more than okay' line. Not that I ever even considered watching it.

We caught The Force Awakens on the plane out of Heathrow. I couldn't have found a better way to keep the young one behaving if I'd tried. 10 days to the DVD!

I agree, Okay is a bit unacceptable for the first Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman movie.  I think that's the problem most people had with this movie, it wasn't great just above average.  The Force Awakens is much much better fare, and WAY better for kids (I personally wouldn't feel comfy watching Batman v Superman movie with anyone under 15, I could enjoy Star Wars with any kid capable of watching a movie).  I'm probably going to buy The Force Awakens DVD this weekend after my work rotation is over.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:03:21 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #2779 on: April 09, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »

I guess there will be an extra 30 minutes when released on DVD.  It may be interesting to do an edit and see if some of the pacing and extra curricular stories and dead weight could be edited out with the extra bonus material.  Maybe a leaner and tighter story could be made when all the movie is in place and some judicious editing is done.  I think with the exception of Wonder Woman and Luthor talking about "meta humans", I'd have kept all references to an expanded universe at a bare minumum, the dream sequence and look at the files would probably have to be edited out.

The opening scene, action scenes (other than some parts of the final battle), and themes they played with in the beginning of the story were top notch.  I think most of the "parts" and ideas are there.  I liked all the actors as well, it just had flaws preventing it from being among the best of the best hero movies.  I was surprised how much I liked Afleck  and Gadot in their roles, I really thought they were going to be busts.  Like I said, it's easily better than Avengers 2 which got a 70% on RT.  And yes, I liked Man of Steel, I'd have given that movie a B average for a superhero movie.  I think the thing is, we are dealing with Superman, Batman, and Wonder WOman so expectations are sky high.  Thor, Captain AMerica, Iron Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Fantastic Four, or even Spiderman don't have such high expectations so there is room for failure and bolder experimentation.

Yes, though it is not perfect, I really liked it, but I am a Bat-fanatic. The reviews have been over-the-top in their negativity. Sometimes I think the professional critic set still wants Adam West and Christopher Reeve. The dream sequence could easily have been cut, though I suspect it is in there for some Easter eggs hinting at Darkseid in the Justice League movie. I would have liked to see Batman take down the sex trafficker or obtain the Kryptonite from Lexcorp. Batman's last fight in the warehouse left me wanting more of that! If I had a major criticism, it would be that the movie seems a bit over-stuffed. I don't know that another 30 minutes in the home release will fix that!
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2780 on: April 11, 2016, 01:35:23 AM »
Saw "Gods of Egypt." Liked it more than I thought I would.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2781 on: April 11, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »

I am shocked. !!!
Would you recommend it to old guys?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2782 on: April 11, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »

I am shocked. !!!
Would you recommend it to old guys?

No.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #2783 on: April 11, 2016, 03:27:57 PM »

Selam

I know, right? LOL.

Selam

What is so bad about it?  It is on my "maybe" list for Netflix and am wondering if I should spare myself some misery.

I finally saw Blade Runner.  I also watched The Martian and Heart of the Sea in the last few weeks.  All three were pretty entertaining.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

• Merarches
« Reply #2784 on: April 11, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »

Selam

I know, right? LOL.

Selam

What is so bad about it?  It is on my "maybe" list for Netflix and am wondering if I should spare myself some misery.

It's hokey. They took an intriguing subject matter and turned it into a cheesy film full of straw man caricatures and plastic character development. Pretty lame movie.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #2785 on: April 11, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »

Selam

I know, right? LOL.

Selam

It's hokey. They took an intriguing subject matter and turned it into a cheesy film full of straw man caricatures and plastic character development. Pretty lame movie.

Selam

And the insertion of Clinton into certain scenes of the film were just totally unnecessary.

• Merarches
« Reply #2786 on: April 11, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »

Selam

I know, right? LOL.

Selam

Selam

And the insertion of Clinton into certain scenes of the film were just totally unnecessary.

lol. That was awful indeed.

And Rob Lowe playing the evil fundamentalist knock off of Ralph Reed. Just so over the top.

Selam
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:14:51 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #2787 on: April 11, 2016, 09:35:12 PM »
Victor Schertzinger's 1939 version of The Mikado.  Top notch production.
Holy Toledo!

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #2788 on: April 12, 2016, 10:49:16 PM »
Tron.  Always a favorite.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2789 on: April 12, 2016, 10:52:53 PM »
I watched Bowfinger earlier tonight on Netflix (thanks ZZ) - totally underrated movie.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.