OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:48:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 123326 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #270 on: June 28, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »

I recently saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I thought that it was pretty awesome.

I saw it over the weekend, and I like it. I also like the book of Eli. It seemed strange and some what out of place in our now extreme secular culture.....but I liked it.

ICXC NIKA
My youner brother told me that the Book of Eli was great, so I am gonna give it a shot.

I just saw the Book of Eli on dvd.  I'm still trying to understand Denzel Washington's character.  Who or what was he?
I can PM you  the details.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #271 on: June 28, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »

We took the children to see The Karate Kid. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It got pretty decent reviews, but it was also panned by some. However, I thought it was actually very good. There was only some very mild language, and no sexual references at all. The karate violence was pretty intense, but nothing gory or bloody.

Just a mildly pedantic note: there is no karate in the new Karate Kid.
More pedantry: there is karate in the new Karate Kid.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2010, 08:40:49 PM »

My daughter and I watched "Office Space" for probably the 20th time. It just never gets old. We were laughing like it was the only the 5th time.

Even in my real office, people quote it when they are feeling snarky: "Ahh yeah.. I'm just gonna need you to come on in on Saturday... Oh and    Yeah   I'm going to need you to come in Sunday too. Thaaanx"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Dp_DMAQAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CrvGndKzE
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:44:43 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2010, 12:01:04 AM »

Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.

I love the anti-war and anti-chauvinist stance of the "Avatar."
Did you also like the all the stereotypes and complete lack of character development?

Hehe, as soon as the cardboard cutout villain (the Colonel) said "the low gravity on this planet makes you soft," I knew this would be bad.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2010, 01:00:51 AM »

We took the children to see The Karate Kid. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It got pretty decent reviews, but it was also panned by some. However, I thought it was actually very good. There was only some very mild language, and no sexual references at all. The karate violence was pretty intense, but nothing gory or bloody.

Just a mildly pedantic note: there is no karate in the new Karate Kid.
More pedantry: there is karate in the new Karate Kid.

I'm pretty sure there's also a kid in the movie too. Wink

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #275 on: June 29, 2010, 11:53:01 AM »

Finally saw Avatar. Visually, I really enjoyed it. But in terms of the writing... well, some people call it "Dances with Wolves in space" but it could also be called "Dune for dumb people." For all the talent and innovation that went into creating the images, it's an utter shame that they could only come up with such an unremarkable script and such a predictable/ conventional plot. And the music... sounds like rejects from the Lion King soundtrack. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from the director of Predator and Titanic.

It's been done better in so many other movies.

Not lately though. I am yet to see "so many" movies that would condemn Bushism-Cheyneism, as they should.

Love never fails.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #276 on: June 29, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »

My daughter and I watched "Office Space" for probably the 20th time. It just never gets old. We were laughing like it was the only the 5th time.

Even in my real office, people quote it when they are feeling snarky: "Ahh yeah.. I'm just gonna need you to come on in on Saturday... Oh and    Yeah   I'm going to need you to come in Sunday too. Thaaanx"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Dp_DMAQAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CrvGndKzE

For my birthday a couple years ago, my co-worker bought me the "Office Space Survival Kit" which included a red stapler, some blank TPS reports, a coffee mug, a "Jump to Conclusions" mat and a 2' x 5' sign that reads "IS THIS GOOD FOR THE COMPANY?"

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #277 on: June 29, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »

Not lately though. I am yet to see "so many" movies that would condemn Bushism-Cheyneism, as they should.

Oh George, you are so full of it. Avatar was not anti-war; the "noble savages" and their Gaia-like deity relished the battle as much as the crude WASPish  colonizing capitalist pigs. The movie was beautiful in its depiction of an alien world, simple and yet moving in its portrayal of the plight of yet another variety of the noble savage, and downright sophomoric in its diatribe against capitalism, America, corporates, Bush-Cheney, etc, etc, etc. The movie most of all served to feed, yet again, the egos and conscience of Hollywood leftists--probably the lowest form humanity.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #278 on: June 29, 2010, 12:48:10 PM »

Oh George, you are so full of it. Avatar was not anti-war; the "noble savages" and their Gaia-like deity relished the battle as much as the crude WASPish  colonizing capitalist pigs. The movie was beautiful in its depiction of an alien world, simple and yet moving in its portrayal of the plight of yet another variety of the noble savage, and downright sophomoric in its diatribe against capitalism, America, corporates, Bush-Cheney, etc, etc, etc. The movie most of all served to feed, yet again, the egos and conscience of Hollywood leftists--probably the lowest form humanity.

I am full of it, yes.  Kiss BTW, I did not say anything about America, capitalism, and corporates. But, again, I am yet to see movies that condemn the tragedy of the Iraq war. I saw just a wee bit of that in "Avatar." And I saw a lot of it in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," but that was a documentary. I hope there will soon be more good movies about this horrible war-mongering in 2000-2010+.

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #279 on: June 29, 2010, 12:49:46 PM »

I also saw two movies by Katherine Bigelow a short while ago: "Weight of Water" (easrly 2000-s) and "Hurt Locker (2009)." The first one is a masterpiece, the second was a big disappointment.

Love never fails.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »

Amen

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2010, 01:22:26 PM »

I am full of it, yes.  Kiss BTW, I did not say anything about America, capitalism, and corporates. But, again, I am yet to see movies that condemn the tragedy of the Iraq war. I saw just a wee bit of that in "Avatar." And I saw a lot of it in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," but that was a documentary. I hope there will soon be more good movies about this horrible war-mongering in 2000-2010+.
Its not just that it was anti-war but it was its childish approach to being anti-war.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2010, 01:28:50 PM »

Its not just that it was anti-war but it was its childish approach to being anti-war.
Avatar was anti-war in the sense of "anti-colonialism".

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2010, 01:38:06 PM »

Yes, I agree. But there is no maturity at all about war in the modern American art, literature, cinematography. At least I don't see it. The American population simply bought the propaganda fed to it in 2001-2003 hook, line and sinker. Maybe that will change, but it takes a lot of time.

Love never fails.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #284 on: June 29, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »

I also saw two movies by Katherine Bigelow a short while ago: "Weight of Water" (easrly 2000-s) and "Hurt Locker (2009)." The first one is a masterpiece, the second was a big disappointment.

I have read a number of negative reviews for Hurt Locker on here.  I have not seen the movie, but one of my friends here at work spent some time with Suicide Charlie in Iraq, and another friend from High School I keep in touch with on facebook was in the sandbox at least twice.  Both of them have said the movie is very good, so I might watch it.

As for Avatar, it is another example of "mighty whitey".  The only thing that can stop "the man" from keeping the people down, is another white man who has adopted, no, improved on your pathetic yet noble culture and will lead you primitives to victory.  You might have been a [insert tribal name here] your whole life, but he will be a better [insert same tribal name here] than you ever will be.

Oh well, I tried to ignore any message that the movie might be sending while I watched it, an was able to enjoy it thoroughly. 
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #285 on: June 29, 2010, 03:02:14 PM »

As for Avatar, it is another example of "mighty whitey".  The only thing that can stop "the man" from keeping the people down, is another white man who has adopted, no, improved on your pathetic yet noble culture and will lead you primitives to victory.  You might have been a [insert tribal name here] your whole life, but he will be a better [insert same tribal name here] than you ever will be.  
Actually, I saw "Avatar" as implying a more positive depiction. For one, it's very incarnational: the "white guy" (and we don't really know if he's really "white" or not, or how "white" he actually is -- he could be 25% Asian, for all we know) symbolizes the Incarnation of Christ into the human culture, because humans (by ourselves) cannot conquer Death.

Alternatively, the "white guy" could represent the necessity of taking the best of two different cultures (like American and Russian, or White and Black, or Red Sox and Yankee), because either culture alone cannot reach its full potential. Yeah, the "blue people" needed the "white guy", but only because the "white people" were the cause of the "blue people's" problem to start with. Sometimes, the best cure to a poison, is a bit of the poison itself. Snake-handlers in Appalachia know this.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:03:24 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »

Saw "With Fire and Sword" movie recently. Totally awesome except for some bits of raunchy Cossack drinking. It illustrates the horrors of war alongside the nobility of sacrifice and laying down one's life for one's friends. The book is far better even than the movie. I'm glad I read it prior to seeing the movie, because my English subtitles weren't working. So I saw all four hours in Polish--and Polish dubbed over Ukrainian, which was annoying--like an echo. But I could pick up some words that are similar to Russian.

Will watch Mongol by Sergei Bodrov next.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #287 on: June 29, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »

The notion that militarism and chauvinism are somehow peculiar to the administration or ideology of Bush and Cheney is part of the problem. What was so depressing and scary about the warmongering after 9/11 was that just about everyone was part of it. The "liberals" and "conservatives" were indistinguishable on this point. Bush did not make them into militarists in the course of eight months. The propaganda came from everywhere; more importantly, it wasn't really needed. This is simply a quality of the modern United States patriotism that has nothing to do with particular presidents or parties. Given the appropriate opportunity, I have no doubt that the Obama presidency would manifest the same tendency. Gore certainly would not have done things much differently. The more the anti-war movement focused on the Bush administration, and not the decades of US policy which has been largely consistent between presidents, the more irrelevant it became.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:35:42 PM by Iconodule » Logged

Patriarch Noah I
Roman Catholic

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Allentown

Cardinale Siri, ora pro nobis.

« Reply #288 on: July 01, 2010, 02:16:52 AM »

Just finished The Unmistaken Child and Kundun on youtube. Unmistaken Child was a really good window into the mystifying weirdness of the Tibetan tulku system, whereas Kundun was kinda...bleh.

"The life of a Christian is nothing but a perpetual struggle against self; there is no flowering of the soul to the beauty of its perfection except at the price of pain."
- Padre Pio
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #289 on: July 01, 2010, 08:05:19 PM »

I watched the Pixar film, Up.  I never really liked other Pixar films, but this one totally blew me away.  It was very heartfelt, well written with just enough campiness to balance it all out.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #290 on: July 01, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »

Just finished The Unmistaken Child and Kundun on youtube. Unmistaken Child was a really good window into the mystifying weirdness of the Tibetan tulku system, whereas Kundun was kinda...bleh.

I really liked 7 Years in Tibet. Probably the only Brad Pitt movie I really enjoyed.

Selam

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #291 on: July 02, 2010, 12:16:18 AM »

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #292 on: July 02, 2010, 03:36:20 AM »

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I tried to watch this the other night but I only had the option of Japanese subtitles.  I was having trouble following along after two glasses of wine and gave up.  I'm currently reading the book though and enjoying it!
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #293 on: July 02, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »

The notion that militarism and chauvinism are somehow peculiar to the administration or ideology of Bush and Cheney is part of the problem. What was so depressing and scary about the warmongering after 9/11 was that just about everyone was part of it. The "liberals" and "conservatives" were indistinguishable on this point. Bush did not make them into militarists in the course of eight months. The propaganda came from everywhere; more importantly, it wasn't really needed. This is simply a quality of the modern United States patriotism that has nothing to do with particular presidents or parties. Given the appropriate opportunity, I have no doubt that the Obama presidency would manifest the same tendency. Gore certainly would not have done things much differently. The more the anti-war movement focused on the Bush administration, and not the decades of US policy which has been largely consistent between presidents, the more irrelevant it became.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. But all the more this topic should be reflected in art, movies... That's why I still liked "Avatar," all the obvious shortcomings of it nonwithstanding.

Love never fails.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #294 on: July 02, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »

Just finished The Unmistaken Child and Kundun on youtube. Unmistaken Child was a really good window into the mystifying weirdness of the Tibetan tulku system

It gets less mystifying, IMO, once you realize how politically or financially motivated a lot of the tulku choices are. A major factor in my leaving Tibetan Buddhism (I was Karma Kagyu) was the fact that these supposedly enlightened beings were fighting and slandering each other over who the real Karmapa was (there are two Karmapas, each one supported by a different set of reincarnated lamas). Of course, looking at Tibetan history, which is pretty brutal, this is nothing new. And then there's the fact that Steven Segal was recognized as a tulku...

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #295 on: July 02, 2010, 12:24:04 PM »

Just finished The Unmistaken Child and Kundun on youtube. Unmistaken Child was a really good window into the mystifying weirdness of the Tibetan tulku system

It gets less mystifying, IMO, once you realize how politically or financially motivated a lot of the tulku choices are. A major factor in my leaving Tibetan Buddhism (I was Karma Kagyu) was the fact that these supposedly enlightened beings were fighting and slandering each other over who the real Karmapa was (there are two Karmapas, each one supported by a different set of reincarnated lamas).
What were other major factors in leaving Tibetan Buddhism?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #296 on: July 02, 2010, 03:51:07 PM »

I am getting ready to watch "The Business of being born."
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #297 on: July 14, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »

Just finished watching The Damned United, a film about Brian Clough's stormy 44 day tenure as manager of Leeds United in 1974.  Great casting and characterizations, although Stephen Graham looked a right pratt as Bremner because of the hair.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »

Not a movie, but I'm watching Top Chef at the moment. They keep using the phrase "alpha male". I despise that phrase with all my being.  Angry  Cool  I've also been watching...

Work of Art
Hell's Kitchen
Chopped
Bullsh*t
Next Food Network Star

I've been avoiding the Lebron News Network (aka ESPN) as much as I've been able to.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #299 on: July 15, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »

Watching Bones at the moment. Used to be a fan, even bought some DVD's... but my interest has decreased a lot. The way they deal with sub-cultures in many episodes is absurdly simplistic, to the point of being insulting.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »

Watched the last airbender, and the twilight saga eclipse...Didn't care for any of them.... Grin  Here

http://ch131.com/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:11:15 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »

I was just subjected to both of the Tomb Raider movies by a friend. Aweful.... Just aweful.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »

We've been watching and discussing ROOTS this week as a family.

Selam

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #303 on: July 19, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »

Watching Bones at the moment. Used to be a fan, even bought some DVD's... but my interest has decreased a lot. The way they deal with sub-cultures in many episodes is absurdly simplistic, to the point of being insulting.

I was impressed by one episode where the difference between black metal and death metal was explained, so they aren't always simplistic.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »

Watched The Guns of Navarone last night. Classic.

By the way, I've seen several seasons of The Next Food Network Star. This season I find to be the least enjoyable. Part of me hopes they won't do it again. Another part of me would find characters even crazier than Dzintra entertaining, but probably just five minutes. I'm waiting for Food Network to spawn its own version of Punk'd. Perhaps a dumb cooking and dating show for clueless 20-somethings could also be added. Programming could be spiked here and there with little demos of actual cooking. (Oh, wait, we've got that already.)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »

Just watched Youth in Revolt.  I'm really beginning to like Michael Cera!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »

Just Watched the Sorcerer Apprentice on ...Such Garbage being produced......Airbender, Twilight Saga Eclipse and this one Sorcerer Apprentice all Garbage...Bhaaaa.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #307 on: July 22, 2010, 12:37:35 AM »

Watched The Stoning of Soraya M. tonight. Pretty intense film but very good and very powerful.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #308 on: July 22, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »

I wanted to take my wife to a movie tonight, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the theaters right now that remotely appeals to me.

Selam

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #309 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »

I wanted to take my wife to a movie tonight, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the theaters right now that remotely appeals to me.

Selam
It's been a while since there has been anything in the theaters worth spending the money to see.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #310 on: July 23, 2010, 11:04:28 PM »

I'm about to go downtown to the public square to watch an old classic: Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2010, 12:37:39 AM »

I'm about to go downtown to the public square to watch an old classic: Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

That sounds fun. You must live in a pretty cool town. Smiley

Selam

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #312 on: July 24, 2010, 03:36:06 AM »

That sounds fun. You must live in a pretty cool town. Smiley
Yeah, we call it Beervana. Grin
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #313 on: July 24, 2010, 06:26:28 PM »

I just watched (again) An American Carol of director David Zucker. A funny and bold movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWhbjDrQJJE

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #314 on: October 12, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »

Recently bought (and have been watching)...

Wrong Turn 2 - I'd never heard of this one, but Walmart had it in their $5 bin, and it looked like a campy, low-budget horror movie, which is how I like them. As it turns out the movie wasn't ultra-low budget (the budget was about $4 million according to wiki), and wasn't that campy. It did have a few problems, like a silly plot issue that popped up about 10 minutes in, and they killed off the most likable character fairly quickly. Also, the characters were fairly cliche... the high-maintenance blonde actress, the masculine lesbian, the tempermental vegan, the black athlete, the immature skate boarder, etc. Having said that, I still thought it was a very good horror movie. It also had Henry Rollins in it, which I didn't realise until I started watching it--that was a nice suprise. The last horror film I took a chance on without knowing anything about was Cabin Fever 2--Ugh, what a mistake that was. This time was thankfully different.

Howard the Duck - Nostalgia probably played a part in buying this one (I was about 7 when this film came out, and I can remember watching it as a kid). And it was also only $5. Ok, yeah yeah, it's a terrible movie. I know. On the other hand, it does have a scene with a young Lea Thompson in her underwear.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Really the only I.J. film I've liked. Again nostalgia plays a part, and it was cheap.

National Lampoon's European Vacation - Um... I'm not sure why I bought this exactly.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: