Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 531621 times)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #2475 on: April 19, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Child 44.
No, wait, y'all to young to see a seriously heavy drama about Soviet Russia in the 1950s.
Poor reviews due to the expose' of what Communism really was (and is).
Truly a Russian story as well.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2476 on: April 19, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »
I loved the book. I'm going to see the movie.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2477 on: May 10, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
Casablanca for all its acclaim is an OK movie, just OK. It most certainly has lost whatever luster it has by being cliched to death. But yeah Victor Laszo just an awful character. I've watched it maybe 5 times or so.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Online Cyrillic

• Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #2478 on: May 10, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
Casablanca for all its acclaim is an OK movie, just OK.

I've watched it maybe 5 times or so.

Oh you...

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2479 on: May 10, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
Casablanca for all its acclaim is an OK movie, just OK. It most certainly has lost whatever luster it has by being cliched to death. But yeah Victor Laszo just an awful character. I've watched it maybe 5 times or so.

First, put yourself in the mindset of America during, 1942, WW II when the movie was made and then,
Secondly, watch it on The Big Screen, as shown in a movie theater. Her face fills the  WHOLE screen and you may grasp her beauty.
Of course, Bogart is old enough to have been in Spain fighting fascists and the viewer gets a hint that he was a freedom fighter and loser as he cannot go back to his own country. This cynical loser in life gives it all up for.....what? The fact is, everybody finds reconciliation and redemption by the end of the movie; everybody, even the bar maid and bad guy, finds a greater thing than their own miserble lives! Try it one last time but in a theater with a big screen.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2480 on: May 10, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »
Ex Machina is a lousy movie well worth missing! Save your money, though some here won't, but try, as it should be on TV within a few months due to it being so straight up lousy
It takes way to long to develop the primary thrust which the viewer figures out in the first five minutes.
Slow flick.
Then it turns out to be a kind of Pinocchio story, except there are no morals involved. Just the opposite. The original Pinocchio is about God, The Father and His Son and The Redemption of Being Human in a world of......well, anyway, this one is....crap.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2481 on: May 10, 2015, 05:36:29 PM »
Kingsmen: Secret Service.......the movie is over two hours but if they drop just the "F" word alone it would be only a bit over an hour.
Otherwise it's a fun piece of fluff and none sense, oh and more British superiority propaganda.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:37:14 PM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2482 on: May 10, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »
"Cinderella," directed by Kenneth Branagh. Went on a little long, but good.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2483 on: May 10, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »

First, put yourself in the mindset of America during, 1942, WW II when the movie was made and then,
Secondly, watch it on The Big Screen, as shown in a movie theater. Her face fills the  WHOLE screen and you may grasp her beauty.
Of course, Bogart is old enough to have been in Spain fighting fascists and the viewer gets a hint that he was a freedom fighter and loser as he cannot go back to his own country. This cynical loser in life gives it all up for.....what? The fact is, everybody finds reconciliation and redemption by the end of the movie; everybody, even the bar maid and bad guy, finds a greater thing than their own miserble lives! Try it one last time but in a theater with a big screen.

I say this about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies all the time. But how do you see them on a big screen? The point is, the amount of energy being expended and the expressive details are lost in a little black and white video screen.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2484 on: May 10, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »

I say this about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies all the time. But how do you see them on a big screen? The point is, the amount of energy being expended and the expressive details are lost in a little black and white video screen.
d

To see such movies on an 18' screen requires a bit of luck and proximity....not an everyday thing

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2485 on: May 12, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »
Some small local movie theatres will run classic films. The theatre in my town does it a lot (incidentally, it's the theatre that gets attacked in The Blob.)
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #2486 on: May 14, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »
Watched Avengers 2. Good popcorn movie.

Prompted me to watch Agents of SHIELD on Netflix. Daredevil is the best though.

A pitty that Fox and Marvel are fighting over X-Men's rights. It would be great to watch a Hulk vs Wolverine battle.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:24:39 PM by Fabio Leite »
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2487 on: May 14, 2015, 07:06:45 PM »
Headhunter on Netflix is a thoroughly enjoyable flick. It's about an art thief and a lot of fun; the only problem for me was that it was in Norwegian so watching subtitles is important as it moves fast at times and not predictable.
Highly recommended.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2488 on: May 23, 2015, 10:14:03 PM »
Mad Max Fury Road

I'd like to go on, but please allow the fact that no one should give Australians cameras!
More later.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:14:57 PM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2489 on: May 25, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »
Bedknobs and Broomsticks ;D

I just love school break TV programming.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2490 on: May 25, 2015, 08:40:14 AM »
Traveling Salesman, about 4 mathematicians sitting in a room. Good flick, not a lot of action!

If you want to see action, Mad Max, Fury Road, today!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:41:07 AM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2491 on: May 26, 2015, 12:25:22 AM »
Metalhead

"A deeply spiritual film about grief, forgiveness, and personal transformation: one of the most spiritually literate films of 2015."

That's a bit too far, but yeah, worth a watch.
Facts loading, please wait

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2492 on: May 26, 2015, 12:40:43 AM »
"Avengers: Age of Ultron."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2493 on: May 26, 2015, 12:42:58 AM »
I finally saw Looper today. I absolutely love the story but the nudity and constant swearing made me sad- and made me sympathize with the guys at CleanFlicks in a way I hadn't in a while.

Don't get me wrong, I don't need everything to be G Rated. I think sometimes salty content is actually necessary. For example, I think the brief rape scene with toplessness in The Road Warrior helped establish the absolute savagery of the setting in a way that  reminded me that I wasn't just watching a series of modified cars and goofy costumes but an actual piece of social commentary, and I actually wish there'd been a similar scene in the still-excellent Fury Road (if it's possible for me to say that without looking like a creep). A little bit of swearing is similarly important to have in any story about criminals because that's simply how criminals talk.

Looper got a bit gratuitous in places, though. And like I said it made me sad that I probably won't be able to sit through an otherwise awesome piece of sci-fi storytelling again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:48:38 AM by Volnutt »
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2494 on: May 26, 2015, 08:09:19 AM »
"Avengers: Age of Ultron."

So, is it worth seeing? I heard of one likes that type, it is excellent.

Now go see Mad Max....for the fun of it.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2495 on: May 26, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »
I finally saw Looper today. I absolutely love the story but the nudity and constant swearing made me sad- and made me sympathize with the guys at CleanFlicks in a way I hadn't in a while.

Don't get me wrong, I don't need everything to be G Rated. I think sometimes salty content is actually necessary. For example, I think the brief rape scene with toplessness in The Road Warrior helped establish the absolute savagery of the setting in a way that  reminded me that I wasn't just watching a series of modified cars and goofy costumes but an actual piece of social commentary, and I actually wish there'd been a similar scene in the still-excellent Fury Road (if it's possible for me to say that without looking like a creep). A little bit of swearing is similarly important to have in any story about criminals because that's simply how criminals talk.

Looper got a bit gratuitous in places, though. And like I said it made me sad that I probably won't be able to sit through an otherwise awesome piece of sci-fi storytelling again.

I enjoyed the same movie as well, although it strained continuity via plot twists, but a fun flick.
Yeah, a good movie may be made without gratuitous language or even violence. Old British flicks didn't show violence, as Americans, but one got the picture that a murder, or some such thing, went down and moved on with the story line.
I don't believe the new Mad Max movie had any swearing in it, yes? I am so use to using/hearing such language (anger issues) that I don't even listen for it anymore, but IIRC, the latest Max movie is missing some. Certainly no sex. Yuck, all that dirt!

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2496 on: May 26, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »
Husband bought the Hobbit trilogy today and watched An Unexpected Journey with the boy. I was napping upstairs for about half of it, but the rest looked like a fun romp, right up the young one's alley.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #2497 on: May 29, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
Saw Mad Max in 3d at the Imax. 

Now I want to be all shiny and chrome.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #2498 on: May 29, 2015, 10:01:04 AM »
Just watched this:

Kung Fury... :D
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2499 on: May 29, 2015, 01:06:51 PM »
Saw Mad Max in 3d at the Imax. 

Now I want to be all shiny and chrome.

Told ya'  ;D
The IMAX?
I wish now I lived near civilization :'(

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2500 on: May 29, 2015, 01:17:32 PM »
Just watched this:

Lost about seven minutes of my life:off.....then saw next to it a David Hasselhoff interview and ....another three minutes gone, but he was involved in your Kung Fury thingy.....
Fabio, I was enjoying your posts, but now? Dude, makes me wonder.... :o

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #2501 on: May 29, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »
Just watched this:

Lost about seven minutes of my life:off.....then saw next to it a David Hasselhoff's interview and ....another three minutes gone, but he was involved in your Kung Fury thingy.....
Fabio, I was enjoying your posts, but now? Dude, makes me wonder.... :o

It's an over the top spoof of 80s pop culture cliches. It has to be seen with that in mind to be funny. :)

And if you "liked" David Hasselhoff's interview, check the 80s style videoclip for the theme song of the movie: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTidn2dBYbY

And don't forget to download the arcade style game Kung Fury: Street Rage:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgXBaztueK0
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:18:27 PM by Fabio Leite »

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #2502 on: May 29, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »
Kingsmen: Secret Service.......the movie is over two hours but if they drop just the "F" word alone it would be only a bit over an hour.
Otherwise it's a fun piece of fluff and none sense, oh and more British superiority propaganda.

I was wandering if the R rating was caused solely as that last shot, which was totally egregious. It could have been because of the violence, but I doubt it as it was very choreographed and strained credulity.

To answer the OP, recently I have watched Guardians of the Universe (numerous times), Imitation Game, American Sniper, and some small Italian flicks just to remember my years in Napoli.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:20:45 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2503 on: May 29, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
The young one watched the Hobbit trilogy over two days, then demanded more and got to watch the LotR trilogy in one day. High hopes, that one.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2504 on: May 29, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »
"Anamorph." Murder mystery starring Willem Dafoe. Scary, but better than the reviews.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2505 on: May 29, 2015, 06:05:07 PM »

I was wandering if the R rating was caused solely as that last shot, which was totally egregious. It could have been because of the violence, but I doubt it as it was very choreographed and strained credulity.
To answer the OP, recently I have watched Guardians of the Universe (numerous times), Imitation Game, American Sniper, and some small Italian flicks just to remember my years in Napoli.

As to the violence, I am to far bent to judge anymore...but I do not recall it being "wet" violence (the worst kind/don't enjoy).  I also am not clear on the criteria for the "R", as if it IS language, then Kinsmen is way over the top. At one time all those ratings were clear, then changed to the point where I believe some PG 13 is allowed one foul word per movie, but I am not positive as I have quit reading their criteria. But I believe it has changed since inception, and not to raise a standard of decency either.
I am sorry to be of little to no help in this.
If you like action, enjoy Mad Max 3, although it is R and that is for violence (looks like they kill real people!) but I do not recall much, if any, foul language, nor sex. IIRC it is a bit "wetter" in violence as I like. However once again, I am to warped and far gone to make note.....I think St. Paul called it right, a seared conscience.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2506 on: May 29, 2015, 07:28:40 PM »
The ratings were never clear, by design.
Facts loading, please wait

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2507 on: June 03, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »
I saw Tomorrowland last weekend. I thought it was a great movie.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2508 on: June 03, 2015, 12:21:26 PM »
Deadly Code in Netflix is interesting. Filmed in Lithuania, it is about Russian society from a Siberian POV, crime, drama, "honest criminals", and their code of life. Very enjoyable and admirable.
However I didn't know everybody in Russia spoke with an accent, but that aside, Malkovich is great in it. Watch all 145 minutes of it.

Opus, thanks, will take SWMBO to see Tomorrowland.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:22:51 PM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2509 on: June 04, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »
After enjoying Tangled once more earlier, I'm watching on and off Muppets Most Wanted. The jury's still out on whether the Muppets can make up for Ricky Gervais being, well, Ricky Gervais.

Offline Friedrich

• I used to be indecisive but now I’m not too sure.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: *Doesn't know what to put here*
« Reply #2510 on: June 23, 2015, 02:32:24 AM »
Babette's Feast
Best foodie movie ever, though I'm still iffy on Quail's brains.

Too bad the English dub wasn't included on the DVD (I don't mind subtitles, but when your multitasking, and aren't fluent in Danish...)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2511 on: June 23, 2015, 02:39:29 AM »
"Interstellar" and "Big Hero Six." Both good. The first could have been a little shorter. The second one, I liked a little more, because it was funny, and had a friendly robot.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2512 on: June 23, 2015, 03:03:35 AM »
Babette's Feast

Too bad the English dub wasn't included on the DVD (I don't mind subtitles, but when your multitasking, and aren't fluent in Danish...)

Wonderful movie!  :)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2513 on: June 23, 2015, 03:18:54 AM »
"Interstellar" and "Big Hero Six." Both good. The first could have been a little shorter. The second one, I liked a little more, because it was funny, and had a friendly robot.

There's a suggestion going around here that Interstellar should be shown in schools as part of science teaching. :)

Offline Friedrich

• I used to be indecisive but now I’m not too sure.
  • Jurisdiction: *Doesn't know what to put here*
« Reply #2514 on: June 23, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »
Babette's Feast

Wonderful movie!  :)

Selam
Isn't it though? Every time I watch it, I see something new for the spiritual side of the equation. Makes me want to find a copy of the book.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #2515 on: June 24, 2015, 05:51:36 PM »
I saw Mad Max a second time with my brother in a normal theater.  Not as good the second time, but the good parts were still good.  And I still want to be all shiny and chrome.

I saw Jurassic World.  Was going to see it anyways (I've seen all of them in the theaters), but it came with a suggestion from my friend's sister, and my buddy was going anyways.  It's like Jurassic Park III.  Pretty stupid, but dinosaurs did in fact eat people, and that is what I went to see.  None of them have matched the first one which was at least close to the book in spirit, albeit abridged.  Still think Lost World (book) was pretty darn good.  The movie sorta sucked, but alas...dinosaurs ate people.

The thing with Jurassic World was, the plot just totally sucked.  Ok, hear me out.  We knew the plot was going to suck going in.  I get that.  But why did they even bother with one?  I mean, I couldn't give two craps about the budding romance between the great white hunter and corporate chick.  Actually, I could give two craps because I think the movie would have greatly benefited from them both being buried under two metric tones of triceratops poopoo.  I will give props on the Selous Scout wannabe carrying a .45-70.  Gangsta rifle if there ever was one...and probably one of the few short of full on elephant gun or anti-tank rifle that might cause any big dinosaur more than mild skin irritation.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2516 on: June 24, 2015, 10:47:08 PM »
Vamrat, thanks. Will wait awhile to see Mad Max 3 then. I don't GO to the movies twice for the same movie often but will watch them on the small screen, however M.M. is good enough to see LARGE. I might take SWMBO, and as I recall there was no swearing in it, was there? She does not like foul language, so...........
And thanks, will miss Jurassic Park as I am sure the out takes of big lizards eating folks will be shown somewhere in life. Don't need the mush and standard plot "development".
Did you see Sparky?  Rather enjoyable if over worked a bit. The South Africans have a great sense of movie making, as do the Aussies, except I think the Aussies kill real people in the flicks.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #2517 on: June 25, 2015, 09:16:08 AM »
I have not seen Sparky.  The only ZA movies I have seen are the ones Niel Blomkamp makes. 

I don't remember if there was any swearing in MM.  There wasn't a whole lot of dialogue in general, so probably not, and certainly not Scarface or Pulp Fiction levels of swearing! 

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2518 on: July 06, 2015, 03:32:20 AM »
I saw the new Terminator film and was actually surprised at how well it was. I went into it very skeptical and pessimistic, expecting another franchise-killing train wreck like the last two films. But instead I got the greatest Terminator film since Judgement Day. While it's not as good as the first two films, it still falls in the same league of goodness and undos the damage that Rise of the Machines and Salvation did to the franchise. Emilia Clarke who I initially thought didn't have what it takes to portray the dark and gritty nature of Sarah Connor exceeded my expectations, and the film managed to make a PG13 rating work. It really did feel like a dark, action Terminator movie--not like one of those stupid corny Marvel blockbusters that always come out. If you want to see a movie, skip Jurassic World which was atrocious and instead see the new Terminator.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2519 on: July 06, 2015, 08:15:03 AM »
Thanks, James....will do.