Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 535228 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #2385 on: January 26, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
"Seven." I saw it when it came out. Saw it today again on Netflix.

Yipes.  :o
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2386 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:21 AM »
Lone Ranger on Netflix.  It was better than I thought it would be.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2387 on: January 29, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »

Glutton for punishment, eh?
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2388 on: January 29, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »

One of my favourite movies ever. Addictive.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2389 on: January 29, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »

I love a good mystery plot. There were some moments when I had to flinch, because of the gore.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2390 on: January 29, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
I watched the final Hobbit movie. It was terrible.
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2391 on: January 29, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »
The first "Star Trek" movie, from 1979. Bonkers as ever, but gorgeous.  :-*

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2392 on: February 22, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »
The Oscars are upon us! Place your bets - is Boyhood or The Theory of Everything going to be the big winner? :D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2393 on: February 22, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
Jane Eyre
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2394 on: February 22, 2015, 08:39:52 PM »
Debating if I want to go watch Hot Tub time machine or not tonight.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2395 on: February 22, 2015, 08:40:59 PM »
Cesar Chavez

Disappointing. I love Cesar Chavez and was really hoping for a better effort than this. The movie seemed to just be going through the motions. None of the characters were fully developed enough, and the movie rushes through the formative information about Chavez's life in order to get to the climax. Also, the movie overplayed the good guys vs. bad guys theme. The growers were caricatured too much in my opinion. So overall the movie just seemed to fall short on many levels. I guess I'm glad the movie was made because now more people will know something about this great man's life. But as far as biopics go, this one is pretty forgettable, unlike the subject of the film.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2396 on: February 22, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »
Trying to capture the essence of a epic film.
Learn meditation.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2397 on: February 22, 2015, 09:02:08 PM »
Trying to capture the essence of a epic film.

Mahabharata
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2398 on: February 24, 2015, 03:33:45 AM »

Amen to that.  I love the character of Commander Decker, who was also the basis of TNG's Will Riker.   And the high theology of the longer TV version and directors cut, where Decker says "Of course!  We all create God in our own image!" referring to V'ger's inability to conceive of humans having created it (aa the Voyager 6 space probe) and instead imagined it was created by rhe machines present on Earth, which though not as sophisticated as those that upgraded Vger on the machine planet, by the 23rd century would surely appear capable of making do without the "carbon based units" that are "not true life forms" (humans) that "infest" Earth and the USS Enterprise, and which Vger prepares to exterminate.

Then Decker intervenes and joins with Vger and the robotic replica of Lt. Ilia in a literal apotheosis which is utterly transcendental and brings tears to my eyes every time.  It's the most epic Star Trek movie; The Wrath of Khan is good, and has moments of deep emotional impact with the death of Spock, but The Motion Picture is like 2001: A Space Odyssey done right.  2001 is an epic film and without it we wouldn't have had TMP, but 2001 has only one three dimensional character, HAL 9000, whereas both Vger and the Enterprise crew are equally intense in TMP.  The transcendental conclusion of 2001 appeared to many with shall we say first hand knowledge as a mere LSD trip, on film, whereas the transcendental conclusion of TMP is comprehensible and part of a coherent plot.  That said, the 2001-imitation scenes where the Enterprise penetrates the cloud surrounding Vger and over flies the vast object itself are more than a little "trippy" and not as impressive as the effects directors thought they were; they could have been cut and the film wouldn't have suffered.

The same director by the way who did Star Trek: The Motion Picture also directed the original versions of The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Andromeda Strain, both masterpieces of cinematic SF in their own right.  Star Trek was his final SF film, also the one movie where Gene Roddenberry had the most input, and was IMO a crowning achievement for both men.   As it says at the conclusion of the film, "The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning", which I think is something Orthodoxy with its promise of Theosis can agree with, surprisingly.   Also, fun fact: the script was originally written for the cancelled Star Trek: Phase 2 television series (along with a lot of the film), and was entitled In Thy Image.  The characters Lt. Commander Surak and Commander Decker were jointly intended to replace Spoxk as Nimoy who at the time struggled with alcoholism initially did not wish to,return to the roll, but money persuaded him otherwise, hence Surak's gruesome death in the transporter malfunction and Decker's apotheosis.   Lt. Ilia I believe was written specifically for the film.  Also if I recall Gucci did the awesome uniforms, where the leather boots are sewn into the pants leg, providing a sleek dignified and professional look that in the future might actually be highly practical (imagine just jumping into your pants and shoes in one move); a nice contrast to the silly bell bottoms of Space: 1999 or even Star Trek 2.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

• Merarches
« Reply #2399 on: February 25, 2015, 01:10:27 AM »
Chef

Good movie. Great soundtrack. I really enjoyed this one.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #2400 on: March 02, 2015, 01:46:08 AM »
Raggamuffin

This is the story of Rich Mullins, who was a famous contemporary Christian musician. Most of these evangelical Christian movies are atrocious, but this one was actually pretty good. The movie gives an honest portrayal of a man who struggled mightily with his faith, perhaps even more so after he achieved fame. Singing about God and speaking profound truths and then often going to a motel to drink himself to sleep in bouts of loneliness and fear. This is the kind of Christian I can relate to (except for the fame, the singing, and the profound truths.) This movie won't win any Academy Awards or anything, but I do recommend it as something definitely worth watching.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2401 on: March 02, 2015, 02:20:55 AM »

Amen to that.  I love the character of Commander Decker, who was also the basis of TNG's Will Riker.   And the high theology of the longer TV version and directors cut, where Decker says "Of course!  We all create God in our own image!" referring to V'ger's inability to conceive of humans having created it (aa the Voyager 6 space probe) and instead imagined it was created by rhe machines present on Earth, which though not as sophisticated as those that upgraded Vger on the machine planet, by the 23rd century would surely appear capable of making do without the "carbon based units" that are "not true life forms" (humans) that "infest" Earth and the USS Enterprise, and which Vger prepares to exterminate.

Then Decker intervenes and joins with Vger and the robotic replica of Lt. Ilia in a literal apotheosis which is utterly transcendental and brings tears to my eyes every time.  It's the most epic Star Trek movie; The Wrath of Khan is good, and has moments of deep emotional impact with the death of Spock, but The Motion Picture is like 2001: A Space Odyssey done right.  2001 is an epic film and without it we wouldn't have had TMP, but 2001 has only one three dimensional character, HAL 9000, whereas both Vger and the Enterprise crew are equally intense in TMP.  The transcendental conclusion of 2001 appeared to many with shall we say first hand knowledge as a mere LSD trip, on film, whereas the transcendental conclusion of TMP is comprehensible and part of a coherent plot.  That said, the 2001-imitation scenes where the Enterprise penetrates the cloud surrounding Vger and over flies the vast object itself are more than a little "trippy" and not as impressive as the effects directors thought they were; they could have been cut and the film wouldn't have suffered.

The same director by the way who did Star Trek: The Motion Picture also directed the original versions of The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Andromeda Strain, both masterpieces of cinematic SF in their own right.  Star Trek was his final SF film, also the one movie where Gene Roddenberry had the most input, and was IMO a crowning achievement for both men.   As it says at the conclusion of the film, "The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning", which I think is something Orthodoxy with its promise of Theosis can agree with, surprisingly.   Also, fun fact: the script was originally written for the cancelled Star Trek: Phase 2 television series (along with a lot of the film), and was entitled In Thy Image.  The characters Lt. Commander Surak and Commander Decker were jointly intended to replace Spoxk as Nimoy who at the time struggled with alcoholism initially did not wish to,return to the roll, but money persuaded him otherwise, hence Surak's gruesome death in the transporter malfunction and Decker's apotheosis.   Lt. Ilia I believe was written specifically for the film.  Also if I recall Gucci did the awesome uniforms, where the leather boots are sewn into the pants leg, providing a sleek dignified and professional look that in the future might actually be highly practical (imagine just jumping into your pants and shoes in one move); a nice contrast to the silly bell bottoms of Space: 1999 or even Star Trek 2.

I quite concur! Despite the timing, it's as fitting to a tribute to Mr. Nimoy (memory eternal) as ever there was. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:21:39 AM by Volnutt »
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2402 on: March 02, 2015, 02:23:05 AM »
I watched the final Hobbit movie. It was terrible.

I wanted to like it more than I did, yeah. I nearly cried at the end, though.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

• Merarches
« Reply #2403 on: March 02, 2015, 03:32:38 AM »
Whiplash

Some incredible music salvaged this one. Little character development, an absurdly over-the-top caricature of the abusive music instructor, no subtlety to the plot, and good actors wasted throughout the film. The music kept me intrigued, and I kept hoping for more. But there are no surprises, no subplots, no real intrigue here. A competent camera, a decent cast, and a good musical score can make a movie worth watching. And this one wasn't worthless. It just should have been so much better.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2404 on: March 02, 2015, 03:46:47 AM »
Movies during Great Lent... Babushka does not approve

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2405 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:41 PM »
Movies during Great Lent... Babushka does not approve

She probably doesn't approve of the internet during Great Lent either. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2406 on: March 02, 2015, 11:08:40 PM »
She probably doesn't know what the internet is.

Either way, she looks like she needs a kiss.
God bless!

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2407 on: March 02, 2015, 11:34:30 PM »

I'll pass, my lips are spoken for.  But I'd gladly have tea with her and hear her tell stories from days of yore. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2408 on: March 03, 2015, 12:37:53 AM »
She doesn't look like she would tolerate brown people, sorry.  :-\
God bless!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2409 on: March 03, 2015, 01:20:26 AM »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2410 on: March 03, 2015, 08:57:54 AM »

I'll pass, my lips are spoken for.  But I'd gladly have tea with her and hear her tell stories from days of yore.

Her yore looks back a lot more than yours, youngster. Unless she's  21 and been in the sun all this weekend.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2411 on: March 03, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »

Her yore looks back a lot more than yours, youngster. Unless she's  21 and been in the sun all this weekend.

What?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2412 on: March 03, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #2413 on: March 03, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
Birdman, American Sniper and Yüregine sor.
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2414 on: March 03, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. The young one's favourite of the set. ('Big snake!' :D)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:27:14 PM by Arachne »

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2415 on: March 03, 2015, 03:40:41 PM »

What did you think of Birdman? I thought it was good, not exactly what I was expecting but still good. Emma Stone....*faints like a fanboy*

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #2416 on: March 03, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »

What did you think of Birdman? I thought it was good, not exactly what I was expecting but still good. Emma Stone....*faints like a fanboy*

I thought it was interesting but not worth the hype. It's the kind of alternative story that we are used to in comics, but not so common in cinema, so maybe that's why it felt so "new" for the industry.

One can see his superpowers as hallucinations of a troubled actor or as actual powers of a man who could be doing so much more but is prisioner to mediocrity because he hungers for attention and standard labels of status in society.

I, personally, don't like storylines where the author or director "let you decide" if something really happened or not. It strikes me as presumptious and lazy, trying to look "intellectual" without managing or daring to actually make a point.
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2417 on: March 04, 2015, 12:41:37 AM »

I, personally, don't like storylines where the author or director "let you decide" if something really happened or not. It strikes me as presumptious and lazy, trying to look "intellectual" without managing or daring to actually make a point.

******SPOILER*******

But what about Emma Stone at the end? She clearly watched her father fly away.

• Merarches
« Reply #2418 on: March 04, 2015, 02:48:05 AM »

+1

It's become such a cliché. Tell the story, whether it's good or bad, depraved or redemptive, and let people form their own conclusions. Reality is the greatest mystery of all. No need to tamper with it.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2419 on: March 04, 2015, 10:12:10 AM »

Need to see it again, and not to soon for my money. Saw it with one who is not a film buff and found it stupid. Few interesting parts and a couple of dark laughs. Maybe different if I can focus to find any  thing else.

Saw FOCUS with Will Smith.....enjoyable movie for popcorn.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:13:08 AM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2420 on: March 04, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »

Need to see it again, and not to soon for my money. Saw it with one who is not a film buff and found it stupid. Few interesting parts and a couple of dark laughs. Maybe different if I can focus to find any  thing else.

You paid money to see focus...  o_O?

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #2421 on: March 04, 2015, 12:23:28 PM »

******SPOILER*******

She was into drugs and really disturbed. Nobody can guarantee that she was not getting hysterical or starting to have the same hallucinatory symptoms as her father due to the trauma.

Notice that when he first flies in front of the crowds, he lands on the street and nobody seems to care. Which one is the sick reaction? Not paying attention to a flying man or seeing your suicidal father fly away, neither, both?

Is it about masses blind to something really beyond their horizon of conscience and everyday experience and about the girl finally breaking out of the Plato's cave and having a first experience of the sublime precisely with her father who she so much despised? Is it about madness being the tragic nature of life, starting to consume her as it consumed her father? Is it about finding soothing refuge in beautiful fantasies like in Big Fish and she finally learns so? Is it about mediocre people hanging to pathetic dellusions of grandeur not to despair due to the lack of feeling loved? The movie does not make any clear point about it and "let you decide".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:34:54 PM by Fabio Leite »

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #2422 on: March 04, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »
Went to see McPharland, USA starring Costner the weekend before Lent. About halfway through, it dawned on me that the movie was really not about running or migrant farm workers at all, but was a parable applicable to the lives of the immigrant ancestors of many of us. It extolled family, faith, community and hard work. Sporting accomplishment became the avenue out for some from the trap that the life of the first generation. Simple and corny, but a good values film. And a true story.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2423 on: March 04, 2015, 01:00:48 PM »

You paid money to see focus...  o_O?

Yeah, I can recommend it to a movie buff with time to escape and likes popcorn. Besides, Seniors get a discount  :)

Lord, have mercy.
"....and grant to see my own transgressions, and not to judge.....

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #2424 on: March 05, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »
I will watch Road 47 the first WWII movie about the Brazilian participation in it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wKW5RaQHzD0

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2425 on: March 05, 2015, 05:01:54 PM »
Some Kind of Monster

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #2426 on: March 05, 2015, 05:21:46 PM »
I want to go see Chappie tonight so badly.  I might just be a loser and go see it by myself.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2427 on: March 05, 2015, 05:43:02 PM »

******SPOILER*******

She was into drugs and really disturbed. Nobody can guarantee that she was not getting hysterical or starting to have the same hallucinatory symptoms as her father due to the trauma.

Notice that when he first flies in front of the crowds, he lands on the street and nobody seems to care. Which one is the sick reaction? Not paying attention to a flying man or seeing your suicidal father fly away, neither, both?

Is it about masses blind to something really beyond their horizon of conscience and everyday experience and about the girl finally breaking out of the Plato's cave and having a first experience of the sublime precisely with her father who she so much despised? Is it about madness being the tragic nature of life, starting to consume her as it consumed her father? Is it about finding soothing refuge in beautiful fantasies like in Big Fish and she finally learns so? Is it about mediocre people hanging to pathetic dellusions of grandeur not to despair due to the lack of feeling loved? The movie does not make any clear point about it and "let you decide".

She just got out of rehab

He clearly took a taxi and that flying scene was his own fantasy because the cab driver was upset he didn't pay.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #2428 on: March 05, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »

******SPOILER*******

She just got out of rehab

He clearly took a taxi and that flying scene was his own fantasy because the cab driver was upset he didn't pay.

She got out of rehab but it doesn't always work, and some people still hallucinate even after going clean.

About the taxi driver, yes, that is a strong indication that he was hallucinating all the time, as it is the fact that we see throwing things with his hands at a point. But they are just evidence. We also see he jump from buildings two times and in front of people witnessing it.

Another interesting interpretation is this one:
http://www.quora.com/Birdman-2014-movie/What-happens-at-the-end-of-Birdman

The final scene in the hospital would actually be a flashback about the future he had deliriously envisioned in his despair. He gets good reviews for his play, reconciliates with ex-wife and daughter who finally see him as he sees himself, the powerful flying Birdman.

It makes sense, but only in terms of internal interpretative coherence, the narrative itself does not impose this meaning.

We know from camera angles and hallucinatory episodes that we are not seeing reality from a third neutral perspective, but from the character's perspective, specially his own, which mixes fantasy and the real world. The "virtue" of ignorance applies to the audience as much as for the character, because we are not meant to pin-point what is real and what is not. All will depend on the interpretative tools used.

Machado de Assis, a 19th century writer, is famous here as one of the important authors of our literature. One of his most famous works is "Don Casmurro" where we see the main character's relationship with his lifelong love Capitu, always from his own perspective. It's impossible to know if he is a sickly jelous man who imagines his sweetheart and then wife cheating on him with his best friend or if she is truly unfaithful and abusive of faithful man. Debates rage on if Capitu cheated or not, but the fact is that the text does not give you an answer and the intent of the author was precisely to achieve that ambiguity, creating in text one of those pictures that look like a rabbit or a duck depending on how you look at them.

Many movies are made with the same intent. Their "master piece" ideal is to create a work that is nothing in itself but can be "seen" as different images depending on how you look at them. In a sense, they are anti-icons, expressing nothing in order to reflect the audiences own prejudices and beliefs to be liked by all or the chosen group.

They reflect one of the modern key beliefs (false, IMO)  that we do not have intellectual access to reality itself but only to mental constructs of it, so a work of "art" is to ellicit mental constructs that make sense for the audience but does not try to "impose" any meaning of itself, because with such assumptions, first it would be bad art, second it would be imoral to impose your own mental constructs on others (some who deem thesemlves "educators" or "liberators" would disagree with this), third it would be useless because people would have their own mental constructs and not yours anyway.

I think that, despite the creators beliefs, Birdman's narrative is in line with so many others where the general assumption is that our perceptions wall us from reality instead of revealing it to us.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2429 on: March 06, 2015, 12:47:08 AM »
I just watched Date Night with Steve Carrell.

It was modestly funny.

The End.
God bless!