OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:38:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 118561 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2250 on: August 16, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

And oc.net continues to wallow in garbage. Achronos really elevated this thread to something to actually check.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2251 on: August 17, 2014, 01:43:56 AM »

And oc.net continues to wallow in garbage. Achronos really elevated this thread to something to actually check.

There's the logout button. Don't let it slam your computer on your way out. I also recommend clearing your history.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2252 on: August 18, 2014, 02:05:14 AM »

The book, music, and movie recommendations of OC.net posters explain more about this forum than anything else. Disheartening, to say the least.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St Pachom, Antoni, and Stephen Pray for us!

« Reply #2253 on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »

1966 Batman.  World War Z was actually pretty good. Nothing like the book though

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #2254 on: August 18, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »

The movies in this thread are quality stuff compared to the songs in the 'What's everyone listening to?' thread.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2255 on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »

Monsters vs. Aliens, in preparation for the MvsA: Cloning Around TV spinoff.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox Church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #2256 on: August 20, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I really liked this movie. I thought it was amazing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:12:35 AM by Laird » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2257 on: August 21, 2014, 12:41:38 AM »

This afternoon I went to see Boyhood, directed by Richard Linkater. The movie has received wonderful reviews, and I was really looking forward to it. I enjoyed Linklater’s films, “Fast Food Nation,” “Before Sunset,” “School of Rock,” and of course, the iconic “Dazed and Confused” (one of my favorite movies ever!) So I had high hopes for this one. Linklater took 12 years to make this movie because he decided to use the same actor (Ellar Coltrane) who plays the main character throughout the film. So we are truly watching a boy grow up on screen. This in itself is quite unique and indeed very fascinating. However, I came away disappointed.

It’s not that this was a bad movie. It’s definitely better than 90% of the mindless crap that Hollywood pumps out these days. But the movie falls flat. I love character driven dramas, and I am more entertained by good dialogue and a good plot than by action and adventure. But even for me, this movie was just sort of boring. I never felt really drawn in to any of the main characters. And rather than smoothly transitioning from one stage of the boy’s life to the next – or else going from grade school to middle school to high school and allowing us to get attached to the circumstances and characters during each of these stages – the movie tends to progress randomly. Is it a year later? Is it a month later? Is it two years later? It’s difficult to tell. We essentially have to figure it out based on the boy’s hair style at the time.

But I get it. The idea was for us to watch this boy grow up on screen. But the segues were odd. And just as you start to take interest in a particular character (for example, the two step fathers that were very well portrayed), the movie jumps to the next stage in the boy’s life and those characters are jettisoned from the movie in the process. We never see them again, and we are left with many unresolved character plots. The only characters we see consistently throughout the film are the boy, his sister (Lorelei Linklater), his mother (Patricia Arquette), and the father (Ethan Hawke). But none of these characters really gained my interest. I wanted to become emotionally invested in them, but I never did.

There were a few humorous moments, but not many. There was plenty of beautiful scenery. But the movie never succeeded in delivering the intended sentiment. But again, this was not a terrible movie. If you’re gonna spend $15 at the movies, this will be better than anything else that’s playing. But I’d wait for it to come out on video.

OK, that’s my two cent movie review on this one. I wish that I had something better to say about it. Of course, others may completely disagree with my assessment. If you’ve seen it, please let me know what you think.

Selam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0HZKk_0BE4

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2258 on: August 21, 2014, 12:47:02 AM »

Perhaps I am movie illiterate, but I have not ever heard of any of the movies you mentioned in there.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2259 on: August 21, 2014, 01:07:26 AM »

Perhaps I am movie illiterate, but I have not ever heard of any of the movies you mentioned in there.

Dazed and Confused is wonderful. Of course, it's the type of movie that might only be appreciated by people familiar with the 70's. But I think it still communicates the universal themes of high school shenanigans. Infinitely better than Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Fast Food Nation is also a good movie.

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2260 on: August 21, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »

Uh oh... I prefer Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Cool Though I wouldn't call either a favorite movie. But Dazed and Confused just seems too much like a series of vignettes at times.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2261 on: August 31, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »

Soon: Jimi: All Is By My Side

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2262 on: August 31, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »

'Sylvia Earle: Mission Blue,' a Netflix documentary about an oceanographer.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
littlepilgrim64
Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #2263 on: August 31, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »

An Ingrid Bergman movie - "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" (1958)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2264 on: September 05, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »

Left Behind (2014): “Opening the door to unbelievers has never been this much fun."

Opens 3 October.

Your merchandise can be bought here.

It looks like it will be of a much higher quality than 2000's Left Behind: The Movie.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:36:58 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2265 on: September 06, 2014, 09:02:05 PM »

I watched Terminator 3 & 4 for the first time and I have to say I was very disappointed--more so with the former. Part 3 entirely pooped on the masterpiece that was Judgment Day by contradicting the "No fate" message and making half the plot pointless and obsolete since judgment day still inevitably happened (albeit at a later date).

If I were writing the plot for Terminator 3, I'd follow the "Battle Across Time" theme and revolve it around destroying the time machines in the future so that the Terminator 2 timeline can be preserved and the timeline never changed again. It'd end with Arnold going back in time to protect young John Connor, leading to the events of Terminator 2, and Reese going back to protect Sarah Conner, leading to the events of Terminator 1, then the time machines being destroyed once and for all.

Worst part about Terminator 3 is that it implies Arnold committed suicide at the end of Judgment Day for nothing since judgment day still happened. Thus, one of the saddest deaths in all of action cinema history was rendered pointless. John lost the one father figure he had in his life for nothing.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2266 on: September 09, 2014, 07:39:19 PM »

Plan to see Enemy of the Reich.
EotR is showing on PBS, 9 September, 8 pm EST (and, at least in some places, in the next few days).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:40:19 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2267 on: September 09, 2014, 08:33:11 PM »

Plan to watch: "Hard to be a God" ("Трудно быть богом")

Where?
Unfortunately, it is only in Russian (so far).

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandmother, the twice-named Efrosinia

« Reply #2268 on: September 10, 2014, 10:25:13 PM »

I keep meaning to watch this but frequently forget about it for months at a time.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: