OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 116651 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2115 on: March 06, 2014, 05:22:54 AM »

Prince Avalanche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJGEu268KvI

Interesting movie. It may be too slow for most people. It's an odd film, but it kept my interest and I found it to be pretty good for the most part.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2116 on: March 06, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »

Going to see the new Swords & Man-Panties flick - 300: Rise of an Empire.  I loved the last one, so should like this one as well.  Hopefully there is some good trireme on trireme ramming!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2117 on: March 06, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »

Going to see the new Swords & Man-Panties flick - 300: Rise of an Empire.  I loved the last one, so should like this one as well.  Hopefully there is some good trireme on trireme ramming!

Gosh 300 was such garbage. Really, anything with Gerard Butler- whether we're talking about his awful romcoms or his equally inane action forays- is going to be an IQ subtractor. And then there's the nu-metal infused soundtrack. Basically 300 is one of those horrible Jock Jams CD's in movie form.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2118 on: March 06, 2014, 02:56:09 PM »

Really, anything with Gerard Butler- whether we're talking about his awful romcoms or his equally inane action forays- is going to be an IQ subtractor.

I enjoy most of his work, for reasons often entirely separate from his acting. Smiley Said acting, though, was nothing short of impeccable in Coriolanus.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #2119 on: March 06, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »

I re watched Akira recently. I remember watching it ages ago and not thinking all too much of it but I got the nice blu-ray edition of it with another English dub and it is worlds beyond the original. The movie is great, not without its flaws though.

Thank you.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2120 on: March 06, 2014, 05:09:19 PM »

I re watched Akira recently. I remember watching it ages ago and not thinking all too much of it but I got the nice blu-ray edition of it with another English dub and it is worlds beyond the original. The movie is great, not without its flaws though.
Flaws? Heresy.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2121 on: March 06, 2014, 11:01:54 PM »

Prince Avalanche

Interesting movie. It may be too slow for most people. It's an odd film, but it kept my interest and I found it to be pretty good for the most part.

Selam

I watched the clip and it looked OK and it is on Netflix so I thought I would watch it (perhaps this weekend), but then I saw the R rating at Netflix. Why on earth is this necessary? Unless there is a good reason I usually avoid anything beyond PG. What is not a good reason for me is the film industry's vision and desire of what is normal in, or good for, American society. To me this is a poison pill and I usually vote no.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2122 on: March 06, 2014, 11:41:59 PM »

Just remember that the people who do the ratings are not necessarily in line with the film industry any more than they are in line with the consumers they pretend to be helping/informing. Though I guess if you stop at PG this becomes a problem that's not ran into that often.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2123 on: March 06, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »

Just remember that the people who do the ratings are not necessarily in line with the film industry any more than they are in line with the consumers they pretend to be helping/informing. Though I guess if you stop at PG this becomes a problem that's not ran into that often.

I was thinking that the film industry thinks that R is better for profits than PG. I could be wrong, but the dearth (more like absence) of G rated adult movies tells me otherwise.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2124 on: March 07, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »

Prince Avalanche

Selam

I watched the clip and it looked OK and it is on Netflix so I thought I would watch it (perhaps this weekend), but then I saw the R rating at Netflix. Why on earth is this necessary? Unless there is a good reason I usually avoid anything beyond PG. What is not a good reason for me is the film industry's vision and desire of what is normal in, or good for, American society. To me this is a poison pill and I usually vote no.

I'm not sure why it was rated R. There was some profanity and some sexual dialogue, but no nudity or blood or anything like that. Strange.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2125 on: March 07, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »

I was thinking that the film industry thinks that R is better for profits than PG. I could be wrong, but the dearth (more like absence) of G rated adult movies tells me otherwise.

There have been more G movies for adults than there are R rated movies since PG-13. PG-13 ruined everything.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2126 on: March 07, 2014, 10:28:48 AM »

Going to see the new Swords & Man-Panties flick - 300: Rise of an Empire.  I loved the last one, so should like this one as well.  Hopefully there is some good trireme on trireme ramming!

Gosh 300 was such garbage. Really, anything with Gerard Butler- whether we're talking about his awful romcoms or his equally inane action forays- is going to be an IQ subtractor. And then there's the nu-metal infused soundtrack. Basically 300 is one of those horrible Jock Jams CD's in movie form.

Well, you're not going to like RoaE.  It was stupid fun like 300, but they kept the fun levels constant (fair 'nuff) but increased the stupid part of the equation a bit more than I would have liked.  They definitely overplayed the warrior-queen card.  Artemesia, fine.  The same Artemesia who was the only one advising against a naval battle "because our enemies are stronger than us at sea, as a man is to a woman..."  Now, she did fight and did well enough for Xerxes to say "my men have become women and my women, men".  

(Addendum: After the battle Xerxes sent Artemesia a full suit of Greek armour for her performance.  To the captain of her ship he sent a distaff and spindle!)

But still, I think she was probably the best character in the film, so gross historical liberties are allowable.

Gorgo, on the other hand.  That was just plain ridiculous.  

In short, if you want to watch muscular men in leather panties slicing, slashing, and skewering Persians...go see it.  It is great for that.  If you have a low stupid tolerance threshold...just rewatch Alexander again.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:31:38 AM by vamrat » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2127 on: March 07, 2014, 07:00:57 PM »

Going to see the new Swords & Man-Panties flick - 300: Rise of an Empire.  I loved the last one, so should like this one as well.  Hopefully there is some good trireme on trireme ramming!

Well, you're not going to like RoaE.  It was stupid fun like 300, but they kept the fun levels constant (fair 'nuff) but increased the stupid part of the equation a bit more than I would have liked.  They definitely overplayed the warrior-queen card.  Artemesia, fine.  The same Artemesia who was the only one advising against a naval battle "because our enemies are stronger than us at sea, as a man is to a woman..."  Now, she did fight and did well enough for Xerxes to say "my men have become women and my women, men".  

(Addendum: After the battle Xerxes sent Artemesia a full suit of Greek armour for her performance.  To the captain of her ship he sent a distaff and spindle!)

But still, I think she was probably the best character in the film, so gross historical liberties are allowable.

In short, if you want to watch muscular men in leather panties slicing, slashing, and skewering Persians...go see it.  It is great for that.  If you have a low stupid tolerance threshold...just rewatch Alexander again.
Did they really play a contemporary version of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" in the film?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2128 on: March 07, 2014, 07:48:22 PM »

I saw "Frozen" the other day. Ran a bit long, but it was funny. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2129 on: March 07, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »

Did they really play a contemporary version of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" in the film?

In the credits.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2130 on: March 07, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »

Prince Avalanche

Selam

I'm not sure why it was rated R. There was some profanity and some sexual dialogue, but no nudity or blood or anything like that. Strange.

Selam

Thanks Gebre, I might give it a shot.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2131 on: March 16, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »

Crystal Fairy and The Magical Cactus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRm3C-lH77k

Another one that I stumbled across on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised. I expected it to be just another inane hipster drug movie, but it wasn't that at all. It was actually a very touching film that dealt with the themes of respect, kindness, human connection and human decency. It got better and better as it went along, and ended much differently than I expected it to.

(Warning: this movie contains lots of nudity and drug content.)

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2132 on: March 17, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »

The Making of Crack the Skye

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2133 on: March 18, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »

Coming soon: God is Not Dead.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2134 on: March 18, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »

With Hercules and Superman on their side, who can be against them?

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #2135 on: March 18, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »

Age of Innocence

It's OK, I guess...

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2136 on: March 18, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »

Aren't there college ombudsmen/ombudswomen for situations like this? The plot seems impossible to me, but I guess it is a movie. It just seems unlikely that there are schools without government funding and all of the requirements therein.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2137 on: March 18, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »

LOL! I gotta get into evowood.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #2138 on: March 21, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »

I don't know if it counts as a movie (it's a documentary), but I just re-watched America's Most Hated Family in Crisis.. It's about the Phelps family if you couldn't guess from the title, and a follow-up to an earlier documentary (The Most Hated Family in America). Both are really interesting and worth a watch, I think.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2139 on: March 29, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »

Mst3k: The Phantom Planet

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2140 on: March 31, 2014, 02:27:34 AM »

The Mosquito Coast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t1z-gRiNm0

Selam

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2141 on: March 31, 2014, 08:58:45 AM »

I don't know if it counts as a movie (it's a documentary), but I just re-watched America's Most Hated Family in Crisis.. It's about the Phelps family if you couldn't guess from the title, and a follow-up to an earlier documentary (The Most Hated Family in America). Both are really interesting and worth a watch, I think.

More like the most unifying family in America.  What other family in America has given the KKK and GLAAD something they could agree upon? 
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2142 on: March 31, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »

I watched Aliens on Saturday and Revenge of the Sith on Sunday. 

I watched all the new trilogy movies in the theatre and haven't seen them since.  I will say that RotS wasn't as crap as I remember, and I snobbishly thought it was pretty crap.  Unfortunately, Return of the Jedi has not held up to time.  Frakking Ewoks.  I might watch Attack of the Clones next, as it might have improved with the degeneration of my taste over the years.  For the record, I still love A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.  If anything, they have only improved over time, and I loved them as a kid.

Tonight I am going to watch myself take the GF out to dinner, lest I become single again!
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2143 on: April 04, 2014, 03:20:28 AM »

Monsters University. Can you tell that school's out for Easter yet?

To be fair, Helen Mirren manages to be brilliant even looking like this:

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2144 on: April 04, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »

More like the most unifying family in America.  What other family in America has given the KKK and GLAAD something they could agree upon? 

Who knew that hating gays so much would end up making such strange bedfellows.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2145 on: April 05, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »

Heaven is For Real, opening a few days before Pascha.

Might be interesting.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2146 on: April 06, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Still one of the best popular-level commentaries/documentaries on American culture, supposing people can look past its ostensible focus on steroids, which is really a clever way of making the points without sounding preachy or obnoxious.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:11:20 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #2147 on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »

Il Gattopardo

Pretty good. Although the pace is very slow. But I like it.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2148 on: April 10, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Still one of the best popular-level commentaries/documentaries on American culture, supposing people can look past its ostensible focus on steroids, which is really a clever way of making the points without sounding preachy or obnoxious.

Thanks for the recommendation. I watched it last night and enjoyed it. It's a troubling issue, and there is much hypocrisy surrounding the debate. We're living in a "brave new world," and the toothpaste is already out of the tube. I love sports, and sports have profoundly shaped my life for as long as I can remember. But I'm afraid that the day is fast approaching when I just won't be able to stomach all of the impurity any longer. And yes, I realize that there have always been scandals in sports, so I'm not naïve about that. But these days I just don't know who I can trust and what's really going on behind the scenes.

As a kid, I learned many values from sports: teamwork, sportsmanship, integrity, work ethic, self sacrifice, perseverance, winning isn't everything it's how you play the game, etc. But it seems like most of these values are gone from collegiate and professional sports today. It's all about winning at all costs, individual achievement and self glorification, and the almighty dollar as the bottom line. It breaks my heart. At some point I just don't know if I'll be able to still justify contributing to it with my fandom.

Selam
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:02:02 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2149 on: April 13, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »

Interestingly...  angel

I just put Bloodsport on to go to sleep to. No one can do martial arts corn quite like Van Damme!

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2150 on: April 14, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »

No one can do martial arts corn quite like Van Damme!

QFT.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2151 on: April 16, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »

Saw VI

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2152 on: April 16, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »

Smiley The DVD tonight to go to sleep to is...

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2153 on: April 21, 2014, 10:36:04 AM »

I have two Russian WWII movies on order - White Tiger and Zvezda.
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2154 on: April 24, 2014, 10:43:15 PM »

I am watching episode 4 of The Bible. "God" sounds like a killer and his prophet Samuel sounds like a crypto-hard heart too. Samuel is on the hill watching with approval as Saul kills the enemy camp and then is actually mad when Saul spares the enemy king. The movie portrays the enemy king in captivity like he is wacked out on cocaine. In reality, I think the enemy king would appear more sympathetic when captured. These kinds of killer stories make me less faithful. I like Jesus.

Saul asks a good question to Samuel - Is this God telling me to kill people or is it you?

P.S. I do get the idea of warfare, I just find the story came off troubling.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:44:24 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2155 on: April 24, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »

I like Jesus.

You mean the guy that "sounds like a killer"? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2156 on: April 30, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »

A Matter of Faith

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2157 on: April 30, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »

Oh dear.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #2158 on: April 30, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »

Heaven is For Real, opening a few days before Pascha.

Might be interesting.

Did you go see it?
Was it interesting?

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2159 on: April 30, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »

Yeah, as much as I think evolution is absurd, movies like this hardly help the true scientific and true theological cause.

Selam

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: