OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:37:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 111666 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1935 on: October 06, 2013, 10:00:53 PM »

I've been really getting into Hitchcock lately.  Recently watched or rewatched
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Dial M for Murder
Vertigo

They really DON'T make them like these anymore...unfortunately.

Hitchcock is really good.

This is true, but thankfully they don't make em like that anymore. On the whole movies are much better.

Are you kidding?  You're probably one of the people who thinks that CGI and cool Michael Bayesque explosions are what make movies great.  God forbid that movies anymore have plot, plot twists, character development, good dialogue, etc.  Hell, you probably think Phantom Menace is the best movie ever made.

You really haven't seen my posts about how netflix describes my taste.

But hey, sounding like you're a clueless old man around passes around here for street cred, so enjoy. I would suggest acting your age and maybe actually looking at cinema of the last 25 years and on the whole comparing it to the era of Hitchcock. Just like TV, we are way better off on the whole. Way.

Like way.

So, could you recap your posts on Netflix so I don't have to read them?  I didn't know those were required reading.

BTW, what is it lately about the "old man" comments?  Do you have something against old people?  I'm 37, and that's not old.  And by "act your age" does that mean display contempt for anything that came before I existed?

Before getting into more name calling on a public thread, why don't you enlighten me (and others) as to the criteria which, in your mind, make movies great and how those criteria have been used over the past 25 years (lets use 1990 as a terminus post quem) to elevate movie-making both in general and specifically over movies that were made pre-1990.
Off the top of my head, orthonorm has spoken quite highly of Tree of Life, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai. By contrast, even as a fan of Joss Whedon, he has a pretty negative assessment of The Avengers. This is less about how you should have a detailed knowledge of his taste in films, and more about how silly it is to assume anyone who prefers modern movies to older ones is all about spectacle and flash. That's a really, really absurd leap to make. Spectacle and flash and SFX showcases have been a part of movies for a very long time, but they've never been the only things being made, unless you want to go really early back in the history of film.

Obviously Scamandrius only cares about claymation dinosaurs and aliens.

Yes, obviously.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1936 on: October 06, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »

Speaking as a Latinist, The Seventh Seal is the greatest latin language film of all time!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1937 on: October 06, 2013, 10:08:04 PM »

Its Alfonso Cuaron, of course it's great.
I saw Gravity but wondered about a couple things which a New York Times reviewer also wondered about:
1.  The Hubble Space Telescope is about 360 miles above the earth.  The International Space Station is 200 to 220 miles above earth.  How are George and Sandra going to get from one to the other just using space suits and jet packs?

2.  Using a fire extinguisher for propellant? Undecided
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1938 on: October 06, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »

^ who cares. It's a movie

* boy DeGrasse made a tweet about something like that too.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1939 on: October 06, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »

Even as a fan of Joss Whedon
Did he like Firefly?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #1940 on: October 06, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »

I saw Gravity but wondered about a couple things which a New York Times reviewer also wondered about:
1.  The Hubble Space Telescope is about 360 miles above the earth.  The International Space Station is 200 to 220 miles above earth.  How are George and Sandra going to get from one to the other just using space suits and jet packs?

Inertia? Cheesy

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Gamliel
OC.net guru

« Reply #1941 on: October 07, 2013, 12:14:38 AM »

1.  The Hubble Space Telescope is about 360 miles above the earth.  The International Space Station is 200 to 220 miles above earth.  How are George and Sandra going to get from one to the other just using space suits and jet packs?

2.  Using a fire extinguisher for propellant? Undecided
Inertia? Cheesy
Smiley
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1942 on: October 07, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »

My husband took me to see Rush, the movie about the rivalry between Nikki Lauda and James Hunt.  We recently watched Senna, about Ayrton Senna.  After this I think my husband should watch some Jane Austen movies but I might be expecting too much.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1943 on: October 07, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »

Even as a fan of Joss Whedon
Did he like Firefly?
I'm pretty sure he did. He doesn't speak about it as much as Buffy, but to be fair there's a lot more Buffy to discuss.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1944 on: October 07, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »

My husband took me to see Rush, the movie about the rivalry between Nikki Lauda and James Hunt.  We recently watched Senna, about Ayrton Senna.  After this I think my husband should watch some Jane Austen movies but I might be expecting too much.

I can't wait to see 'Rush.' My Mom and I are going soon.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #1945 on: October 07, 2013, 07:44:05 PM »

Let me know how you like it!  I thought it was pretty good.   There was one scene where I really laughed, but I won't spoil it for you.  It's the one where a car breaks down in Italy.   I liked the Nikki Lauda's character's take on life in general.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1946 on: October 07, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »

Let me know how you like it!  I thought it was pretty good.   There was one scene where I really laughed, but I won't spoil it for you.  It's the one where a car breaks down in Italy.   I liked the Nikki Lauda's character's take on life in general.

Awesome!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1947 on: October 08, 2013, 12:05:26 AM »

Yep, I'm looking forward to it as well. Ron Howard films are always worth watching.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1948 on: October 08, 2013, 02:55:45 AM »

Go for the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice miniseries, with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Longer than any of the film adaptations. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1949 on: October 08, 2013, 07:31:32 AM »

Event Horizon... It has not held up well, at all.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #1950 on: October 08, 2013, 08:19:39 AM »

The second one is kinda realistic, I mean, with Newton's first law and all that.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #1951 on: October 08, 2013, 08:23:40 AM »

There is non-American cinema: Swedish, Russian, Asian, French, Italian, Spanish, Greek, Iranian, Israeli...
How can you miss Bollywood??

Except for Satyajit Ray and Rooks' Siddhartha, I'm not a big fan of Indian cinema.

Whoa, Bollywood is not all that makes up Indian Cinema, it's just the Least Common Denominator. Try watching some South Indian productions, they may not be as big budget as Bollywood but they produce some good cinema.
Gamliel
OC.net guru

« Reply #1952 on: October 08, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »

1.  The Hubble Space Telescope is about 360 miles above the earth.  The International Space Station is 200 to 220 miles above earth.  How are George and Sandra going to get from one to the other just using space suits and jet packs?

2.  Using a fire extinguisher for propellant? Undecided

The second one is kinda realistic, I mean, with Newton's first law and all that.
True.  But with the control issues, I would have to see it done in reality.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1953 on: October 08, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »

What do they teach in school these days?

It would be Newton's Third Law which best describes the reason for the ability to use such methods of propulsion.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1954 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:11 AM »

It would be Newton's Third Law which best describes the reason for the ability to use such methods of propulsion.
My coworker just said today she took a class in Chalk at college.

Seriously a class on how to use chalk on a chalkboard

I don't even know man.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1955 on: October 08, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »

I believe that James Cameron is the worst screenwriter in all of cinema.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #1956 on: October 08, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »

Whoops,  Embarrassed.

In my defense, I had just woken up when I posted that.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #1957 on: October 08, 2013, 08:09:08 PM »

Yep, I'm looking forward to it as well. Ron Howard films are always worth watching.

Selam

Great, I hope you enjoy it, too!  Though i must say, I would advise parents of children to see it first before taking their children. It does have an R rating, mainly because they show how extreme James Hunt lived his life.  I found out after movie that he is credited with sleeping with 3000 women. In the movie they give you an idea of what he was about in this regard.   Though, for the movie's sake, It's not the main focus of the movie and it shows how James Hunt was the polar opposite of Nikki Lauda. This plays into the movie's theme of their personal conflict.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #1958 on: October 08, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »

Go for the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice miniseries, with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Longer than any of the film adaptations. Wink

Oh, I love that version!   And, also the BBC version of the 1980's!  (The 1980's one has a great Mr. Darcy  Smiley )   But, I imagine if I got my husband to watch it, he wouldn't last very long.  He started watching Persuasion with me ( the 1990's film version) and lasted about 10 minutes before falling asleep and snoring.  And, who wants to watch a Jane Austen movie listening to someone else snore?Huh Not the best.    And, he missed the best part of the movie.  The part where Captain Wentworth wrote his letter that starts "I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul...."  *sigh*
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1959 on: October 09, 2013, 02:11:27 AM »

There might be worse, but I can't think of a single movie of his that I liked.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1960 on: October 09, 2013, 02:12:20 AM »

Selam

Great, I hope you enjoy it, too!  Though i must say, I would advise parents of children to see it first before taking their children. It does have an R rating, mainly because they show how extreme James Hunt lived his life.  I found out after movie that he is credited with sleeping with 3000 women. In the movie they give you an idea of what he was about in this regard.   Though, for the movie's sake, It's not the main focus of the movie and it shows how James Hunt was the polar opposite of Nikki Lauda. This plays into the movie's theme of their personal conflict.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I'd never take my kids to see an R rated movie. Looking forward to it.

Selam

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1961 on: October 09, 2013, 11:33:46 AM »

There might be worse, but I can't think of a single movie of his that I liked.

Selam

The Terminator?
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1962 on: October 09, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

Event Horizon... It has not held up well, at all.

I actually saw it the first time a month ago.  I saw it on the netflix and thought that it was one of the Michael Chrichton movies.  I got a bit in and realized my memory was foggy...  But all the same, I thought it was watchable.  Kind of like the old Doom game in a way.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #1963 on: October 12, 2013, 01:03:38 AM »

My school has both the 186 and 205 minute cuts of Andrei Rublev. Which should I go for?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1964 on: October 12, 2013, 01:09:54 AM »

My school has both the 186 and 205 minute cuts of Andrei Rublev. Which should I go for?
205 minute. Enjoy!

EDIT: For purist sake, the director liked the 186 better...he claims only he made the cuts, and there was no intervention from the government. I highly doubt it thought.

I'm assuming the 205 minute version is the Criterion edition?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:12:54 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #1965 on: October 12, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »

Presumably. It's listed as the 1969 one. I just noticed both versions in the language center's foreign film catalog.

Gamliel
OC.net guru

« Reply #1966 on: October 12, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »

I bet you will get a real rush out of that film. Smiley
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1967 on: October 12, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »

Just watched Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets for the umpteenth time with the young one. He decided on Curse of the Black Pearl when we come back from shopping. Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1968 on: October 12, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »

I admit to enjoying Aliens... a lot.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1969 on: October 12, 2013, 11:33:26 AM »

It's my favourite part of the quadrilogy.

(Much as I love Fincher's style, you know what they say about silk purses and sows' ears.)

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1970 on: October 12, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »

(Much as I love Fincher's style, you know what they say about silk purses and sows' ears.)

Yall are crazy...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1971 on: October 12, 2013, 12:12:44 PM »

Yall are crazy...

You say crazy like it's a bad thing...

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1972 on: October 12, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »

See this is orthonorm's point about movies being better now than before.

If Aliens was filmed today with the same script Cameron wrote, he would be mocked and derided.

Like I said... GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1973 on: October 12, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »

What makes Aliens for me is not the script, but the people. Because Ripley kicks some serious hiney. Because the chemistry between Ripley and Newt works wonders. Because Burke is shamefully underrated in the slimester gallery. Because Hicks is all the eye candy we girls needed. Because Bishop is all-around awesome. You couldn't get such a gathering today, neither with the original people nor with a newer generation.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1974 on: October 12, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »

If Aliens was filmed today with the same script Cameron wrote, he would be mocked and derided.

I said I enjoyed it, not that it was good. The only film in the series that can really be called good is the first one.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1975 on: October 12, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »

I said I enjoyed it, not that it was good. The only film in the series that can really be called good is the first one.

Dude, it's America. Like = Good. Dislike = Bad.

I've been trying disabuse this notion from dear Achronos for a while.

Americans get their identity so caught up in their consumables, especially entertainment. I like terrible stuff. I hate good stuff.

I am not lover of Arachne's taste, but what is instructive is that her American counterpart would take me to task for jeering her cheers as much as I do. You can tell she is European of some sort. No matter how much of a rise I try to get, she behaves like an adult.

Frustrating really.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:01:07 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1976 on: October 12, 2013, 03:22:34 PM »

I don't enjoy bad movies.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1977 on: October 12, 2013, 03:25:11 PM »

Do you hate good ones?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1978 on: October 12, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »

Do you hate good ones?
I'd prefer if my eyes were wide shut.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1979 on: October 14, 2013, 02:26:15 AM »

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: