OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:40:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 119982 times) Average Rating: 0
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »

Saw Creation last evening. I'd been looking forward to seeing it and and wasn't dissappointed. Paul Bettany is excellent (as always) as Darwin, I thought, and Jennifer Connelly (don't think I've ever seen her in anything before) played the role of Emma Darwin well. The film is based on a biography by Randall Keynes, who is a descendant of Darwin.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2010, 06:40:10 PM »

Saw Creation last evening. I'd been looking forward to seeing it and and wasn't dissappointed. Paul Bettany is excellent (as always) as Darwin, I thought, and Jennifer Connelly (don't think I've ever seen her in anything before) played the role of Emma Darwin well. The film is based on a biography by Randall Keynes, who is a descendant of Darwin.

Regarding Jennifer Connelly, have you not seen Labyrinth? Strange movie, but worth watching IMO.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2010, 06:54:19 PM »

Regarding Jennifer Connelly, have you not seen Labyrinth? Strange movie, but worth watching IMO.

With David Bowie?

Oh yes, looking at the IMDB.com page for her, I see I have seen her in films before.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:56:58 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2010, 06:55:58 PM »

Yes, that's the one. 

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »

Yes, that's the one. 

It's years since I saw it, but I loved it at the time. Don't tell anyone, but I was quite a Bowie fan.  Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »

I promise not to tell, as long as you keep it a secret that a horror-and-metal type guy like me liked that movie Wink

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »

I promise not to tell, as long as you keep it a secret that a horror-and-metal type guy like me liked that movie Wink

It will be our secret. I love horror films, too! I'm looking forward to seeing Wolfman. Looks good from the trailer. I think I might give Shutter Island a miss, though. That looks really freaky!

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2010, 07:23:45 PM »

I hate horror movies, but Wolfman looks awesome!!

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »

It will be our secret. I love horror films, too! I'm looking forward to seeing Wolfman. Looks good from the trailer. I think I might give Shutter Island a miss, though. That looks really freaky!

I agree on both accounts.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2010, 08:03:20 AM »

Watched OCTPOB (The Island) this evening. A wonderful film, and most fitting for the beginning of Great Lent.

Set in Russian in a small Russian Orthodox Monastery it tells the story of an unusual man whose strange conduct confuses and irks his fellow monks, but gives hope to many others who visit the island, seeking him out because of his power to heal, foretell the future and exorcise demons. Fr Anatoli, the film's primary character is a "fool for Christ"; a man with a tragic past. This beautiful story tells of reconciliation with God, through repentance and unceasing prayer, in humbleness and the ascetic struggle. I highly recommend.

Thanks, ozgeorge!  Smiley

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »

Watched OCTPOB (The Island) this evening. A wonderful film, and most fitting for the beginning of Great Lent.

Set in Russian in a small Russian Orthodox Monastery it tells the story of an unusual man whose strange conduct confuses and irks his fellow monks, but gives hope to many others who visit the island, seeking him out because of his power to heal, foretell the future and exorcise demons. Fr Anatoli, the film's primary character is a "fool for Christ"; a man with a tragic past. This beautiful story tells of reconciliation with God, through repentance and unceasing prayer, in humbleness and the ascetic struggle. I highly recommend.

Smiley

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2010, 06:26:26 PM »

Smiley

Is it in English?

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »

Has anyone seen Wolfman?

My wife and I were sitting in the theatre about to see it when I called my sister and she informed me that it got bad reviews. So we got up and went to see Crazy Heart which started at the same time. It was very good. Jeff Bridges really pulled it off, and he actually sang most of the songs on the soundtrack himself. I'm not a country music fan, but I definitely recommend this movie. There is some pretty bad language unfortunately.

Selam
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:34:16 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

DeaconBorislav
Deacon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA

« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2010, 12:10:38 AM »

I just watched Super Size Me last night for the first time.  It was fascinating to see and a real eye opener, even in this day and age.  

I saw that movie. 

Keep in mind that if you abuse pretty much anything the results are going to be devastating to your health.  Having a burger and fries once in a blue moon will hardly hurt you, but eating home cooked rabbit 2 times a day for a month may give you protein poisoning. 

Thus I think the premise of that movie is flawed.

Паки и паки миром Господу помолимся!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2010, 12:55:42 AM »

Coming to mind that I've recently watched:

-Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)
-Sunshine (2007)
-Frank Herbert's Dune (2000)
-Frank Herbert's Children of Dune (2003)

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2010, 12:58:04 AM »

I just watched Super Size Me last night for the first time.  It was fascinating to see and a real eye opener, even in this day and age.  

I saw that movie. 

Keep in mind that if you abuse pretty much anything the results are going to be devastating to your health.  Having a burger and fries once in a blue moon will hardly hurt you, but eating home cooked rabbit 2 times a day for a month may give you protein poisoning. 

*raised eyebrow*

There are plenty of other things that one could consume in the same quantity and be in perfect health.

The point of the movie is that fast food is generally highly unhealthy, and that eating it as a staple of your diet will destroy your body. That's a decent premise.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »

Smiley

Is it in English?
Its subtitled

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »

-Frank Herbert's Dune (2000)
-Frank Herbert's Children of Dune (2003)

For some reason, I thought the first one (2000) was terrible... I vaguely recall the guy who plays Paul being a terrible actor. Children of Dune was great though.

Whatever people may say, I still think the David Lynch film is awesome.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »

For some reason, I thought the first one (2000) was terrible... I vaguely recall the guy who plays Paul being a terrible actor. Children of Dune was great though.

Hmmm, I rather liked both of them.

Whatever people may say, I still think the David Lynch film is awesome.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2010, 02:23:15 AM »

Watch "Quo Vadis", that's an awesome movie. The scene where Nero burns Rome is very well done, Peter Ustinov very good actor.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #200 on: March 13, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »

Movies I've watched in the last couple weeks...

Food Inc.
I Want To Look Like That Guy
The Princess Bride
Spaceballs
Saw I
Saw IV
Saw VI
Sleepaway Camp 2
Evil Dead 2

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #201 on: March 13, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »

I've been getting into Akira Kurosawa's films. I watched Yojimbo the other night and it is a really great movie. I might watch Seven Samurai later tonight.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #202 on: March 13, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »

Blade Runner, the Final Cut.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #203 on: March 13, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »

Watch "Quo Vadis", that's an awesome movie. The scene where Nero burns Rome is very well done, Peter Ustinov very good actor.

Quo Vadis is a fantastic movie. Ustinov's performance is amazing. The story is similar to Cecil B. DeMille's film The Sign of the Cross which also involves a love story between a Christian girl and a Roman soldier and it is also set in the backdrop of the burning of Rome by Nero. That is also a really good movie.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »

I saw Star Trek for the second time and Up for the first. The former was a great as an action movie but a bit subpar as a Trek movie. The latter was a general work of all-around fantasticness.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »

Rewatched Alien last night.  It's been a long time and it's still a classic!

Also, I finally got to watch Clint Eastwood in Gran Turino.  Now that was a superb film!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »

Jesus of Nazareth for about the 2000th time. I watched the first disc last night and will watch the second tonight its a long film. then I intend on watching Peter and Paul.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:59:55 PM by Vlad » Logged
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2010, 11:01:44 PM »

Jesus of Nazareth for about the 2000th time. I watched the first disc last night and will watch the second tonight its a long film. then I intend on watching Peter and Paul.

Jesus of Nazareth is amazing film (more correctly, mini-series). Have you AD? It is a sequel of sorts to Jesus of Nazareth that covers events after the Resurrection up to 70 AD. It is amazing! It shows the early ministry of Sts. Peter and Paul plus it also shows the political strife that was happening in Judea. It is one of my favorite films that was also an epic mini-series.
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »

Jesus of Nazareth is amazing film (more correctly, mini-series). Have you AD? It is a sequel of sorts to Jesus of Nazareth that covers events after the Resurrection up to 70 AD. It is amazing! It shows the early ministry of Sts. Peter and Paul plus it also shows the political strife that was happening in Judea. It is one of my favorite films that was also an epic mini-series.

I sure do. A.D. is fantastic I love how it goes back and forth between the turmoil of the early Christian Church and the decadance of the Roman Court.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2010, 11:49:11 PM »

Quo Vadis is a fantastic movie. Ustinov's performance is amazing. The story is similar to Cecil B. DeMille's film The Sign of the Cross which also involves a love story between a Christian girl and a Roman soldier and it is also set in the backdrop of the burning of Rome by Nero. That is also a really good movie.

Book good too. Another Epic you might enjoy is "El Cid" with Sophia Lauren and Heston.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
DeaconBorislav
Deacon

Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA

« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »

I saw that movie. 

*raised eyebrow*

There are plenty of other things that one could consume in the same quantity and be in perfect health.

The point of the movie is that fast food is generally highly unhealthy, and that eating it as a staple of your diet will destroy your body. That's a decent premise.

Again, if you eat a burger once in a while, it will hardly hurt you.  I enjoy them tremendously.  Especially the new Angus burgers. Smiley

Second thing I am getting after Holy Pascha.  First being Salo!

Smiley

Паки и паки миром Господу помолимся!
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »

Book good too. Another Epic you might enjoy is "El Cid" with Sophia Lauren and Heston.

I've seen El Cid and really enjoyed it. I'm really into epic films so I've seen a lot of them.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #212 on: March 20, 2010, 07:54:44 PM »

I finally bought the 3D version of Night of the Living Dead 3D and watched it. I think I prefer the 2D version.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »

Stephen King's "The Stand".

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2010, 06:09:22 AM »

In the two weeks since my March 13th post, besides re-watching ones I already had, I also bought and watched quite a few used DVD's through Amazon.com and at CD Warehouse. Here's the ones I've watched in the past couple weeks:

Planet of the Apes (the original one, not the remake)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
Saving Private Ryan
Some Kind of Monster
Pumping Iron
Evil Dead
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Revenge of the Nerds
Goonies
Princess Bride
Spaceballs
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
The 300 Spartans (the original one, not the recent remake)
Gladiator
Goldeneye
Redneck Zombies
Return of the Living Dead
Cabin Fever
Cabin Fever 2
Sleepaway Camp 2
Evil Dead 2
Night of the Living Dead 3D
Army of Darkness
Beetlejuice
Dodgeball
Kung Pow

The sad thing is, even with all those, that I have like 3 dozen DVD's that I still have to watch since I rebought them. Some of them I've never even seen before, like 300 and Drag Me To Hell. That's besides the Seasons 1-4 of News Radio that I bought, and the half dozen DVD's still on there way.  It feels good to go on a spending spree sometimes! Grin Though I got most of those because I traded in a bunch of CD's and Games and an old console.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:10:29 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2010, 03:54:41 AM »

The Lord of the Rings:  "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" - both in their extended versions

Will watch "Return of the King" after Pascha
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2010, 12:37:30 PM »

The Lord of the Rings:  "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" - both in their extended versions

Awesome. I go through a LOTR marathon every once in a while myself.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »

Excellent reading for Lent, IMO.  I've even constructed my own LOTR "lectionary" (for lack of a better term) of no more than one chapter a day (two on Saturdays) so that it takes me all of Lent and Holy Week (and then some) to read the whole trilogy.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2010, 03:15:40 PM »

Excellent reading for Lent, IMO.  I've even constructed my own LOTR "lectionary" (for lack of a better term) of no more than one chapter a day (two on Saturdays) so that it takes me all of Lent and Holy Week (and then some) to read the whole trilogy.
I like that alot. My friend Br. Gabriel says that LOTR is a great Catechism.  Smiley

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »

Last week and two weeks ago, my wife and I saw two films by Louis Malle, a French and American director (worked in France most of his life, but in 1981 married Candice Bergen and settled in Hollywood). They were, in the order we saw them, "Pretty Baby" (1978, made in the USA, in English), and "Le souffle au coeur" ("Murmur of the Heart," 1971, made in France, in French). I can't say that I liked them. "Pretty Baby" is about a child prostitute, a "nymphette" (woman in a child's body), played by Brooke Shields when Shields was just 13 years old. All my liberal taste nonwithstanding, I was not quite conmfortable watching her play this role, and, besides, the story is pretty trivial - Nabokov's "Lolita" is light years more original and talented. "Murmur of the Heart," again, involves teens and is about incest (a 14-y.o. schoolboy "explores" his sexuality and sleeps with his mom. I was disappoted with the "lightness" Malle treats this subject...

Love never fails.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »

I did a Band of Brothers marathon yesterday. Looking forward to when "The Pacific" is out on DVD.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »

The Lord of the Rings:  "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" - both in their extended versions

Excellent reading for Lent, IMO.  I've even constructed my own LOTR "lectionary" (for lack of a better term) of no more than one chapter a day (two on Saturdays) so that it takes me all of Lent and Holy Week (and then some) to read the whole trilogy.
I like that alot. My friend Br. Gabriel says that LOTR is a great Catechism.  Smiley
Since my "lectionary" has me reading Book V (the first half of "Return of the King"), Chapter 8: "The Houses of Healing", on Palm Sunday, I've been able to see the very strong connection between Aragorn's return to Minas Tirith and Christ's raising of Lazarus and triumphant entry into Jerusalem on the first Palm Sunday.  It's readily apparent to me that Tolkien very likely had the Palm Sunday Gospel narrative in mind when he wrote "The Houses of Healing".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:58:23 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2010, 04:00:47 PM »

I did a Band of Brothers marathon yesterday. Looking forward to when "The Pacific" is out on DVD.
How conservative of  you.  Wink

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #223 on: April 01, 2010, 01:48:25 AM »

Revolution OS

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2010, 06:52:10 PM »

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: