OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:12:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 132909 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1260 on: June 11, 2012, 03:16:50 AM »

I recently watched Man on the Moon, the Andy Kaufman biopic, for the second time and thoroughly enjoyed it for the second time.

There you found my most loathed genre. The biopic.

If you ever hear me say I don't hate one. You should probably check it out.

If I rave about one, it is probably a feat of superhuman effort.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
brandb

« Reply #1261 on: June 11, 2012, 05:06:28 AM »

Watching The Village on SciFi. I've always liked this movie... even
though my dad almost ruined it for me the first time I saw it.  Tongue
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1262 on: June 11, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

Prometheus = Awesome

Forgive my sins.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1263 on: June 11, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »

Marvel's: The Avengers - Thought with Whedon writing and directing, he might be able to make something out of one of my least favorite genres: the Superhero Team genre. Pretty boring. Didn't care for much of anything in the film. And I keep asking, how does Gwyneth Paltrow ever get any role in film. Then I remember she is Hollywood royalty.

Downy and Ruffalo do the impossible and actually pull off performances which border on real acting. How such a thing occurs in this train wreck of boredom, I dunno. Wait till someone hands you the DVD and you have nothing else to do.
Seems rather unique among the opinions of the movie I've heard. Did the action sequences not do it for you?

I gave Moon a rewatch. I loved it once more. Sam Rockwell and Duncan Jones are fantastic.

I hear ya. The tomato says its awesome. I love Whedon.

Action? I've seen a lot of action films. There really ain't much to it after a few dozen times without a decent story or dialog or acting.

I went to the film with slight optimism. And the solution to the end of the world? Really? Deus ex machina?

Joss should at least know how to do that a little better, if he is unable to avoid it.

I suppose I too would have experienced my fill of mindless action if I'd been so fortunate as to experience the 80s. Still, dialog was typical Whedon quality, and acting was good. To each his own I guess.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1264 on: June 11, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »

Marvel's: The Avengers - Thought with Whedon writing and directing, he might be able to make something out of one of my least favorite genres: the Superhero Team genre. Pretty boring. Didn't care for much of anything in the film. And I keep asking, how does Gwyneth Paltrow ever get any role in film. Then I remember she is Hollywood royalty.

Downy and Ruffalo do the impossible and actually pull off performances which border on real acting. How such a thing occurs in this train wreck of boredom, I dunno. Wait till someone hands you the DVD and you have nothing else to do.
Seems rather unique among the opinions of the movie I've heard. Did the action sequences not do it for you?

I gave Moon a rewatch. I loved it once more. Sam Rockwell and Duncan Jones are fantastic.

I hear ya. The tomato says its awesome. I love Whedon.

Action? I've seen a lot of action films. There really ain't much to it after a few dozen times without a decent story or dialog or acting.

I went to the film with slight optimism. And the solution to the end of the world? Really? Deus ex machina?

Joss should at least know how to do that a little better, if he is unable to avoid it.

I suppose I too would have experienced my fill of mindless action if I'd been so fortunate as to experience the 80s. Still, dialog was typical Whedon quality, and acting was good. To each his own I guess.

I won't get into the ideology of the film, which was repugnant at best, if instructive.

You don't need the 80s, I am not sure I experienced them myself. Just get a decade or so of mindless action. Interestingly, the "bigger" and "greater" the sequences have become the less compelling they have become.

It is sorta like the last half of King Lear or so. Try pulling off a production of that easily become monotony of shrill madness. Which is one the many reasons why I think Ran is simply a work of directorial and acting genius.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #1265 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:25 AM »

I won't get into the ideology of the film, which was repugnant at best, if instructive.

I would like to hear or read your take on this sometime. I haven't really given that much thought.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1266 on: June 12, 2012, 03:11:01 AM »

Which is one the many reasons why I think Ran is simply a work of directorial and acting genius.
Wow I think I love you.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1267 on: June 12, 2012, 05:51:48 AM »

Midnight in Paris

The Pianist

On an Adrien Brody kick. So much talent wasted.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1268 on: June 12, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »

Oh, I can relate to that. People gave away the endings of both The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable before I saw them.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1269 on: June 12, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »

Midnight in Paris

The Pianist

On an Adrien Brody kick. So much talent wasted.

The Pianist is an amazing movie; I first watched it probably five years ago, and I think I've seen it four times since then.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
brandb

« Reply #1270 on: June 12, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »

Oh, I can relate to that. People gave away the endings of both The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable before I saw them.

OUCH.  Shocked  Although I never really saw what was so great about The Sixth Sense. I prefer Haley Joel Osment in AI
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1271 on: June 12, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »

OUCH.  Shocked  Although I never really saw what was so great about The Sixth Sense. I prefer Haley Joel Osment in AI

AI is much better.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1272 on: June 12, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »

Unbreakable is a great film.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1273 on: June 15, 2012, 04:22:23 PM »

Did you ever get onto my recommendation of Tucker and Dale v. Evil, Asteriktos?

Just watched this.  Overall impressions...

Short: Good movie. I'll buy it on DVD at some point.

Long: I found the beginning sort of awkward, just because I wasn't sure what kind of movie it was. Then the scene at the store where Dale tries to talk to the kids and laughs happened, which was great. From then on, for about the next 45 minutes, I thought it was hilarious. Unfortunately, at some point, I did start to lose interest. I think about the time the college kids caught the dog. Or when the fingers were cut off. Somewhere in there. After that I thought it was ok, but really dragged at times. Then again I like the first half of movies more than the second half* in a ton of horror movies, even ones I really love. Still, overall, like I said, I enjoyed it enough that I'll buy it on DVD so I can watch it every once in a while.

Thanks for the recommendation! Smiley

*Yeah, I don't divide it into three (acts), but halves. Come at me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:24:15 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1274 on: June 16, 2012, 11:40:10 AM »

Which is one the many reasons why I think Ran is simply a work of directorial and acting genius.
Wow I think I love you.

I actually think Ran is a little better than its Shakespearean prototype.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1275 on: June 16, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »

Watched nbt - Never Been Thawed last night. It's supposed to be about people who collect tv dinners and obssess over them, and that's part of it, but a larger portion of the movie is poking fun at certain elements of Christianity in America.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1276 on: June 16, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »

Prometheus = Awesome

Indeed.  I saw it today.  I liked it a lot. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:40:17 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1277 on: June 18, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »

This Film Is Not Yet Rated

Anti-MPAA docuwhatever.

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1278 on: June 19, 2012, 01:52:17 AM »

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

Proverbs 22:7
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #1279 on: June 21, 2012, 03:12:19 AM »

I saw this a couple weeks ago! It was really awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKeOHZ9NWao (for greater glory)

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1280 on: June 23, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »

Moonrise Kingdom was wonderful!  I highly recommend it. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1281 on: June 23, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »

Thanks. Didn't know anything about it. I like a lot of Wes Anderson's stuff. Will check it out soon.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1282 on: June 23, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »

Revisiting the following:
Alien
Aliens
The Thing (Carpenter)

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1283 on: June 23, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »

Thanks. Didn't know anything about it. I like a lot of Wes Anderson's stuff. Will check it out soon.

I like how I can tell it's a Wes Anderson movie on the strength of seeing one preview without the words "A Wes Anderson" film being anywhere near it.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
brandb

« Reply #1284 on: June 26, 2012, 06:15:14 AM »

Lost in Translation. Finally finished the entire film after nearly 5 years of procrastination.  Smiley
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1285 on: July 04, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »

Saw Ted and Blade Runner today. Disappointed by both.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #1286 on: July 04, 2012, 12:15:48 AM »

What exactly were you looking forward to with Ted? And what cut of Blade Runner did you see?

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1287 on: July 04, 2012, 02:42:45 AM »

What exactly were you looking forward to with Ted? And what cut of Blade Runner did you see?

I had heard that Ted is hilarious. And it has Mila Kunis in it! But it's Seth McFarlane, so it was filled with his terrible comedy (including your fair share of self righteous religion-bashing).

I saw the director's cut of Blade Runner.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #1288 on: July 04, 2012, 02:49:37 AM »

Disappointed by Blade Runner ? How can it be ?  Grin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1289 on: July 04, 2012, 04:09:50 AM »

The only way to see Blade Runner is the Final Cut on Blu-Ray. Superb, it's Ridley's best film. That film is so multi-layered and deep that one viewing doesn't do it justice. It gets a little slow with the romance bit, but still love it.

BTW picked up these four tonight. Finally got Wire on DVD.

Raging Bull was $7.50
Taxi Driver was $10.00
Godfather Collection $30
Wire Season One $20

I had BB price match and two were on sale.

Awesome deals.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:12:08 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1290 on: July 04, 2012, 04:19:15 AM »

I desperately need Vertigo by Hitchcock on Blu-Ray. Universal is coming out with a Masterpiece collection of 14 of his films in October, but I hope to see it release individually. With both the restoration versions and not.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1291 on: July 04, 2012, 04:52:06 AM »

The only way to see Blade Runner is the Final Cut on Blu-Ray. Superb, it's Ridley's best film. That film is so multi-layered and deep that one viewing doesn't do it justice. It gets a little slow with the romance bit, but still love it.

BTW picked up these four tonight. Finally got Wire on DVD.

Raging Bull was $7.50
Taxi Driver was $10.00
Godfather Collection $30
Wire Season One $20

I had BB price match and two were on sale.

Awesome deals.

Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and The Godfather are all worthy of their acclaim. Disturbing movies that ring authentic on every level. I haven't seen The Wire, only a few brief pieces here and there. I may decide to give it a chance, but from a cursory glance it seems too cliched and spurious for my tastes. Perhaps it's because I grew up in the ATL and lived that lifestyle for so many years that I recognize the phoniness of it. But then again, I love The Sopranos, which I might think overplayed if I were Italian and grew up in New Jersey.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1292 on: July 04, 2012, 02:37:05 PM »

Dude, The Wire is the greatest TV show ever. It's not your typical crime show either. It's better than the Sopranos, and I loved the Sopranos. The first season is a little slow at first, there's just such an amazing level of detail in this show.

Just be warned it is a difficult show to follow.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1293 on: July 05, 2012, 01:44:19 AM »

Dude, The Wire is the greatest TV show ever. It's not your typical crime show either. It's better than the Sopranos, and I loved the Sopranos. The first season is a little slow at first, there's just such an amazing level of detail in this show.

Just be warned it is a difficult show to follow.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try some day. I trust your recommendations.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1294 on: July 05, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »

Bubba Ho-Tep was a huge disappointment...

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1295 on: July 10, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »

Bubba Ho-Tep was a huge disappointment...

I felt the same when it came out... It should have been so much better. The script didn't live up to the premise. Bruce Campbell's commentary on the DVD is actually funnier than the movie itself.

Volnutt
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #1296 on: July 10, 2012, 10:37:30 AM »

Lost in Translation. Finally finished the entire film after nearly 5 years of procrastination.  Smiley
How did you like it?

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
brandb

« Reply #1297 on: July 10, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »

How did you like it?

It was good. Slooow, but it worked well that way. It's also the second film by Sofia Coppola that I've
really enjoyed [I disliked Virgin Suicides, but loved Marie Antoinette. Go figure]. Looking forward
to The Bling Ring.
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1298 on: July 10, 2012, 05:04:51 PM »

Unfortunately, I've not seen any of her films. I must get on that.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1299 on: July 11, 2012, 01:14:33 AM »

My wife and I watched Entertaining Angels: The Dorothy Day Story tonight. A pretty good movie that seemed to be a fairly accurate portrayal of her life.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1300 on: July 11, 2012, 07:27:50 AM »

We recently watched Mrs Caldicot's Cabbage War - a delightfully comical - but serious - commentary on how the elderly are treated.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1301 on: July 11, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »

How did you like it?

I didn't.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1302 on: July 12, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »

Why not?

Volnutt
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1303 on: July 12, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »

The Triplets of Belleville. Pretty funny and gorgeously animated. I like to think Chuck Jones would have liked this one, especially the opening scene.

I'm definitely going to check out The Illusionist and Sylvain Chomet's other stuff once I have the scratch.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:48:11 AM by Volnutt » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1304 on: July 12, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »

I couldn't get into "Triplets"... I found it unbearably dreary, almost soulless. I enjoyed "Illusionist" more but at the end I felt the same way.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: