OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:22:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 113593 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1215 on: May 19, 2012, 09:27:12 PM »

Finally got around to seeing the film adaptation of Wise Blood. Definitely one of my new favorite movies. All I can really say is... Brad Dourif is Hazel Motes!

Also been watching some Miyazaki.

Told you. Amazing stuff. Brad Dourif is incredible and has been for forever.
You do know he was in the Lord of the Rings movie, right :p?

But yeah, he's definitely one of my favorite actors.

LOL

ps omgosh your back.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #1216 on: May 19, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »

Never really been gone, just didn't have much to say. Nice to see you again, though. Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1217 on: May 19, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »

You just blew his mind  Grin

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1218 on: May 19, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »

Finally got around to seeing the film adaptation of Wise Blood. Definitely one of my new favorite movies. All I can really say is... Brad Dourif is Hazel Motes!

Also been watching some Miyazaki.

Told you. Amazing stuff. Brad Dourif is incredible and has been for forever.
How precious... Whoops! Wrong character.

I did find out, though, that Mr. Dourif is in the next movie I'm going to watch: Alien: Resurrection
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:48:29 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1219 on: May 19, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »

ps omgosh your back.

What's wrong with his back?  Huh Sad

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1220 on: May 20, 2012, 04:44:10 AM »

The Outlaw Josie Wales.  Great movie about the MO/KS border skirmishes during the War Between the States.  Based on real-life happenings in Osceola, MO.  Now, Osceola is known for it's cheese.  Mmmmm, cheese.  Smiley

Classic movie!

And in honor of this wonderful movie, I present...

Josey Wales: "It A Fi Burn"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R7ck5mr_0Q&feature=player_embedded

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1221 on: May 21, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »

The Outlaw Josie Wales.  Great movie about the MO/KS border skirmishes during the War Between the States.  Based on real-life happenings in Osceola, MO.  Now, Osceola is known for it's cheese.  Mmmmm, cheese.  Smiley
As much as I loath any glorification of the traitors who fancied themselves a confederacy, I'll concede that that was a great movie. Chief Dan George probably gave the best performance as an Indian in any Western (not that he had a ton of high-quality competition, but still).

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1222 on: May 26, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »

The Avengers
It's great with some very good acting.  Mark Ruffalo is terrific as Dr. Bruce Banner.  Robert Downey Jr. delivers Tony Stark's character and lines beautifully.  Scarlet Johansson as Black Widow is prime and I'm told that her Russian is quite decent.  Chris Evans as Captain America is very fine (I liked Captain America from last year too).  Chris Hemsworth has a splendid command of Thor.  Samuel L. Jackson is an intense and complicated Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Tom Hiddelston plays Loki who has cunning and malice as well as a complicated if twisted mind. 

New York City takes a beating as is usual in the comic book world.

I recommend it for those who like classic comics.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1223 on: May 26, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »

"Jacob's Ladder."  Shocked

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1224 on: May 27, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »

Bully

This is an excellent documentary that really made me angry. It's unbelievable how incompetent, lazy, and ignorant many - if not most - of these teachers, coaches, principals, and others in positions of authority in our schools actually are. They see documented evidence of physical abuse, and they basically say, "There's not much we can do about it. Kids will be kids." It's sad what so many children have to endure simply because those in authority are too worthless, sorry, and spineless to intervene. I have absolutely no tolerance or sympathy for these "authority figures" who allow children to be bullied and abused. Disgraceful.

Anyway, the movie is very powerful and quite tragic. I think everyone should see it.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1225 on: May 27, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »

Bully

This is an excellent documentary that really made me angry. It's unbelievable how incompetent, lazy, and ignorant many - if not most - of these teachers, coaches, principals, and others in positions of authority in our schools actually are. They see documented evidence of physical abuse, and they basically say, "There's not much we can do about it. Kids will be kids." It's sad what so many children have to endure simply because those in authority are too worthless, sorry, and spineless to intervene. I have absolutely no tolerance or sympathy for these "authority figures" who allow children to be bullied and abused. Disgraceful.

Anyway, the movie is very powerful and quite tragic. I think everyone should see it.

Selam

Hear here!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #1226 on: May 27, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »

I caught Battlefield Earth on Netflix. It lives up to its reputation beautifully.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1227 on: May 29, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »

The History Channel's Hatfield's & McCoy's.  Moonshine, purty girls, fightin' and mountain justice.  It's totally BA!  Smiley  And oddly enough, it was filmed in Holy Romania.  Shocked
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:31:14 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
annarab

Faith: Orthodox Christian (OCA)
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #1228 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »

I watch Guess Who's Coming to Dinner faithfully once a month to remind myself what real acting looks like. These days it is hard to tell.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1229 on: June 04, 2012, 06:19:43 AM »

Finally watched Drag Me To Hell. I was pleasantly surprised. Exactly what I should have expected from a horror movie directed by Raimi. Why did I put off watching it for so long? Gives me hope that the upcoming Evil Dead 4 won't be total crap.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1230 on: June 05, 2012, 11:36:13 PM »

The History Channel's Hatfield's & McCoy's.  Moonshine, purty girls, fightin' and mountain justice.  It's totally BA!  Smiley  And oddly enough, it was filmed in Holy Romania.  Shocked

How is it? It looked interesting, but I decided to wait until it comes out on DVD. Let me know if it's worth investing in.

Selam

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #1231 on: June 06, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »

Did you ever get onto my recommendation of Tucker and Dale v. Evil, Asteriktos?

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1232 on: June 06, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »

How is it? It looked interesting, but I decided to wait until it comes out on DVD. Let me know if it's worth investing in.

Selam

Well.... hmm.  My wife and I recently had time to where the both of us could finally finish it together.  I don't want to give too much away, and maybe you'll feel differently, but I thought the acting was good but I wish they would've spent a little more time on character/story development as it felt a little rushed. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1233 on: June 07, 2012, 12:01:20 AM »

As much as I loath any glorification of the traitors who fancied themselves a confederacy, I'll concede that that was a great movie. Chief Dan George probably gave the best performance as an Indian in any Western (not that he had a ton of high-quality competition, but still).

So as not to derail the topic, I'm genuinely interested as to what you meant by 'traitors'.  Shoot me a PM if you want.

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1234 on: June 07, 2012, 05:12:07 AM »

Snow White and the Huntsman was surprisingly good!

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1235 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »

Did you ever get onto my recommendation of Tucker and Dale v. Evil, Asteriktos?

Not yet. Now that you've reminded me, though, I'll try to get it through netflix (once I get netflix again, that is). Smiley

Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1236 on: June 07, 2012, 10:02:19 AM »

We watched "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"  last night on TV with directors notes.

It turns out that the Coen brothers never really read Homer's Odyssey but had only seen a comic book version and wrote the screen play directly from that. They also must have been watching the Wizard of Oz. Great Movie. I didn't appreciate it until recently.

My all time favorite movie is by them as well "Fargo".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:03:52 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1237 on: June 10, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »

It turns out that the Coen brothers never really read Homer's Odyssey but had only seen a comic book version and wrote the screen play directly from that. They also must have been watching the Wizard of Oz. Great Movie. I didn't appreciate it until recently.

Why do none of these statements surprise me?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1238 on: June 10, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »

I just got back from seeing "Prometheus."

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wow. What a movie!

I'm still freaked out. I need to cool down for a while.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1239 on: June 10, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »

Snow White and the Huntsman was surprisingly good!

Good to know. I think I'm going to see it.  Smiley

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1240 on: June 10, 2012, 10:29:52 PM »

Quick wrap of some the few movies I watched over the last few months (almost none).

Cabin in the Woods - Decent. Ironicals and Whedoness at a level that will satisfy any fan of either the genre or Whedon. Too bad Whedon didn't direct it instead of Drew Goddard, who brought his primary "small screen" view to the film. No matter how wide Goddard has had the chance to work in TV, his direction still seemed rather limited in terms of camera work. Comes in at a perfect length. Recommended.

Marvel's: The Avengers - Thought with Whedon writing and directing, he might be able to make something out of one of my least favorite genres: the Superhero Team genre. Pretty boring. Didn't care for much of anything in the film. And I keep asking, how does Gwyneth Paltrow ever get any role in film. Then I remember she is Hollywood royalty.

Downy and Ruffalo do the impossible and actually pull off performances which border on real acting. How such a thing occurs in this train wreck of boredom, I dunno. Wait till someone hands you the DVD and you have nothing else to do.

The Sound of my Voice - Zal Batmanglij's sophomore work. Without using the words low budget or sophomore, a solid piece of film making. Using them, it's excellent.

This spec-fi thriller is brilliantly paced and well acted. Brit Marling brings depth and believability to a possibly absurd and ridiculous role in the wrong hands.

At 83 minutes, a lot of story masterfully told. The rebirth of the less than 120 feature was welcome. The rise of the less than 90 minute feature--celebrated.

Do yourself a favor. See this film without reading too much about the plot. Even knowing most of the plot going in however will not ruin the solid acting and story telling of this film. Highly recommended.

Definitely an adult film, but without any gratuitous "adult" content in the American sense.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:30:30 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1241 on: June 10, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »

I have always hated the Wizard of Oz film since I was a kid. Can't quite explain it. The garishness of the colors and singing were too much for me I think. It seems to me like a big producer's idea of what kids should like, as opposed to a sincere fantasy adventure... but somehow most kids do like it. I don't know. I actually adore the novel and also the film Return to Oz.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1242 on: June 10, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »

The Coen brothers are hit and miss with me. But I loved Fargo . The Coen brothers try to get a little too cute for my tastes. We get it already.

George Clooney has to be the most overrated actor since Robert Redford. Nice mugs but not much else. The only George Clooney movies I enjoyed were The Perfect Storm and Up In the Air. After hearing great things about The Descendants, I decided to buy the DVD. The only thing interesting about it was the music and the scenery. The rest of the movie was completely inane.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1243 on: June 10, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »

I have always hated the Wizard of Oz film since I was a kid. Can't quite explain it. The garishness of the colors and singing were too much for me I think. It seems to me like a big producer's idea of what kids should like, as opposed to a sincere fantasy adventure... but somehow most kids do like it. I don't know. I actually adore the novel and also the film Return to Oz.

I hated that movie too. Scared me to death. Same thing with Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I think these movies traumatize children. They sure gave me nightmares.

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1244 on: June 10, 2012, 10:56:11 PM »

I hated that movie too. Scared me to death. Same thing with Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I think these movies traumatize children. They sure gave me nightmares.

Selam
Thank you both for this. Yes both have given me awful nightmares and deeply disturbs me. I just can't put a finger on to why. The most disturbing elemnt in that Wonka film was the slideshow in the tunnel with the worm over that woman's mouth.

That has never left my memory sadly.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1245 on: June 10, 2012, 10:58:57 PM »

The Coen brothers are hit and miss with me.

As they are with anyone who is sane.

The disagreements come down to what their hits and their misses are.

Hate Fargo. Oh Brother! is a bit much as you alluded to. Although I do like more than a few of their musical numbers. The whole KKK number is very well done.

Said it before, but after about the third time of seeing it, I had to admit I didn't hate Lebowski.

Perhaps not their best film, but certainly my favorite by times I've watched it.

No Country rivals most of their early work for their best.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:59:20 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1246 on: June 10, 2012, 11:01:22 PM »

Selam
Thank you both for this. Yes both have given me awful nightmares and deeply disturbs me. I just can't put a finger on to why. The most disturbing elemnt in that Wonka film was the slideshow in the tunnel with the worm over that woman's mouth.

That has never left my memory sadly.

I never liked either film. Never scared me. Or gave me nightmares, but it did so for my brother.

As a kid, I was mostly frightened by the news.

Oz is just creepy.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1247 on: June 10, 2012, 11:01:50 PM »

I enjoyed A Serious Man

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1248 on: June 10, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »

I enjoyed A Serious Man

Haven't seen it yet. Would like to.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1249 on: June 10, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »

I was a kid that sat in front of The Weather Channel for 8 hours a day. It wasn't until I was older that I caught up with watching movies.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1250 on: June 10, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »

I was a kid that sat in front of The Weather Channel for 8 hours a day. It wasn't until I was older that I caught up with watching movies.

I still do that as an adult.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1251 on: June 10, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »

I used to like Willy Wonka (Charlie less so). It had a strange sense of humor which I enjoyed. Unfortunately the Wonka/Charlie movies were my daughter's favorites, and I was forced to watch them over and over and over, like some sick military experiment done on terrorists in secret prisons. Now I do have nightmares, and now I know the substance of true evil: it's name is Wonka.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1252 on: June 10, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »

I can't now you know why? They got rid of the local updates on the :15 minutes and would always end on a radar of my current town. We'd get alot of storms in PA, so I loved seeing how red it got on the screen.

And they removed that incredible jazz music too.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1253 on: June 11, 2012, 12:22:29 AM »

I enjoyed A Serious Man

Haven't seen it yet. Would like to.

Yeah, it wasn't bad.

Selam

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1254 on: June 11, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »

I can't now you know why? They got rid of the local updates on the :15 minutes and would always end on a radar of my current town. We'd get alot of storms in PA, so I loved seeing how red it got on the screen.

There used to be this channel in NY that had a traffic report running on the bottom of the screen, and the top part was always this one view from a camera above one of the highway exits. That's it. They never switched to another camera. I used to watch that for hours and hours, to unwind, when I came back from the clubs every weekend.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1255 on: June 11, 2012, 12:44:18 AM »

There used to be this channel in NY that had a traffic report running on the bottom of the screen, and the top part was always this one view from a camera above one of the highway exits. That's it. They never switched to another camera. I used to watch that for hours and hours, to unwind, when I came back from the clubs every weekend.

Again, you remain inscrutable.

And thus nearly unique among the many humans I have encountered.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1256 on: June 11, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »

Thank you.  Smiley

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #1257 on: June 11, 2012, 02:27:26 AM »

Marvel's: The Avengers - Thought with Whedon writing and directing, he might be able to make something out of one of my least favorite genres: the Superhero Team genre. Pretty boring. Didn't care for much of anything in the film. And I keep asking, how does Gwyneth Paltrow ever get any role in film. Then I remember she is Hollywood royalty.

Downy and Ruffalo do the impossible and actually pull off performances which border on real acting. How such a thing occurs in this train wreck of boredom, I dunno. Wait till someone hands you the DVD and you have nothing else to do.
Seems rather unique among the opinions of the movie I've heard. Did the action sequences not do it for you?

I gave Moon a rewatch. I loved it once more. Sam Rockwell and Duncan Jones are fantastic.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1258 on: June 11, 2012, 03:00:24 AM »

Seems rather unique among the opinions of the movie I've heard. Did the action sequences not do it for you?

I gave Moon a rewatch. I loved it once more. Sam Rockwell and Duncan Jones are fantastic.

I hear ya. The tomato says its awesome. I love Whedon.

Action? I've seen a lot of action films. There really ain't much to it after a few dozen times without a decent story or dialog or acting.

I went to the film with slight optimism. And the solution to the end of the world? Really? Deus ex machina?

Joss should at least know how to do that a little better, if he is unable to avoid it.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1259 on: June 11, 2012, 03:13:36 AM »

I recently watched Man on the Moon, the Andy Kaufman biopic, for the second time and thoroughly enjoyed it for the second time.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: