OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:07:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 103522 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1035 on: December 20, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »

Before there was Chuck Norris, there was Clint Eastwood.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

In the Line of Fire is really good too.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1036 on: December 22, 2011, 03:02:18 PM »

Saw Sherlock Holmes 2 last night, pretty good.  Smiley

Forgive my sins.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1037 on: December 22, 2011, 10:53:58 PM »

...am sitting in my mom's room watching "The Bible" (John Huston). I've never seen it before and am thoroughly enjoying it.  In 2 hours they've shown the Creation, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel and Noah!  Now we are watching the Tower of Babyl getting built!  Very good film!!!

Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #1038 on: December 23, 2011, 03:19:22 AM »

Right now I am watching Trading Places

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1039 on: December 23, 2011, 07:23:34 AM »

Thunderball last night. The huge scuba battle is savage.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #1040 on: December 23, 2011, 11:30:36 AM »

I want an action packed movie with a good (believable) story line, nothing too heavy but still engrossing -- all suggestions welcome. I need a break from wrapping and writing tags.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1041 on: December 23, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »

I want an action packed movie with a good (believable) story line, nothing too heavy but still engrossing -- all suggestions welcome. I need a break from wrapping and writing tags.

Death Wish 3

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #1042 on: December 23, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »

Death Wish 3

(looking it up)

Don't i have to have watched DW1 & 2 first?

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #1043 on: December 23, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »

Reviews say the "...violence is over the top" in this movie, so maybe something a little less violent?

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1044 on: December 23, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »

Reviews say the "...violence is over the top" in this movie, so maybe something a little less violent?

Anything with Jean Reno is generally going to be good.  Either Leon the Professional or Wasabi would be my suggestions.  Crimson Tide is a bit gory, if you aren't into that.

If you like war movies you might try Talvisota or (if you can find it) Tali-Ihantala 1944.  Both are Finnish.  They make the best, though I still think 9th Company (Russian) is among the best as well.

Westerns?  The Outlaw Josey Wales is, IMHO, the best, hands down.

If you want to go classic perhaps First Blood (it's a Rambo movie, but I personally think it is a film that can stand on it's own merits) or the original Die Hard.  It's a Christmas movie and you get to watch Bruce Willis kill Professor Snape.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #1045 on: December 23, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »

Great thanks! One of those will definitely do.

I'll try Rambo  Wink physical form in motion, that's art right?

#laughs
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:17:40 PM by FountainPen » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1046 on: December 23, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »

The Professional

Transporter

The Italian Job

Grin

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1047 on: December 23, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

Death Wish 3

(looking it up)

Don't i have to have watched DW1 & 2 first?

No, certainly not.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1048 on: December 23, 2011, 12:45:28 PM »

If WWII vets machine gunning teenage 1980's street punks in a New York alley is "over the top", I don't want to be under the top.

Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #1049 on: December 23, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »

I caught the last 2/3rds of K-19 (based on Russian nuke sub accident) last light and enjoyed it, will probably rent it to see the entire movie.
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #1050 on: December 23, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »

The Professional

Transporter

The Italian Job

Grin

Those are good movies Biro, good choice. I don't recall seeing Transporter.

Rocky was okay, i don't think i'd see the rest but it kept me occupied and not thinking of my mum's overcooked sprouts and my cousin's bitter and twisted gravy tomorrow #laughs
I shouldn't laugh, i should pray for her -- and my mum's sprouts.

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Protestant, for now...

« Reply #1051 on: December 23, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »

Enough, starring Jennifer Lopez. I really didn't think I'd like this. I was surprised. Although maybe that's just because it's nigh impossible not to cheer for a battered woman trying to get out.

I'm not posting on oc.net for the time being. Thank you to everyone for your support!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1052 on: December 23, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »

Enough, starring Jennifer Lopez. I really didn't think I'd like this. I was surprised. Although maybe that's just because it's nigh impossible not to cheer for a battered woman trying to get out.

What a horrible casting choice.  They make a movie about a battered woman trying to get out...and they choose a woman I would personally like to batter.  Shoulda been Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Aniston.  I'd feel sad seeing them get the snot kicked out of them.  But J Lo?  I might find myself rooting for the husband.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1053 on: December 23, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »

3:10 to Yuma, No Country for Old Men, Blackhawk Down, Paths of Glory, Joyeux Noel, The Four Feathers, The Book of Eli, Collateral, The Fugitive and its sequel, US Marshals (I don't remember quite how graphic Blackhawk and Collateral were).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:26:31 PM by Volnutt » Logged

I'm not posting on oc.net for the time being. Thank you to everyone for your support!
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1054 on: December 23, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »

What a horrible casting choice.  They make a movie about a battered woman trying to get out...and they choose a woman I would personally like to batter.  Shoulda been Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Aniston.  I'd feel sad seeing them get the snot kicked out of them.  But J Lo?  I might find myself rooting for the husband.
She isn't my favorite either but her performance actually reminded me of Sandra, oddly.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1055 on: December 23, 2011, 09:33:51 PM »

3:10 to Yuma, No Country for Old Men, Blackhawk Down, Paths of Glory, Joyeux Noel, The Four Feathers, The Book of Eli, Collateral, The Fugitive and its sequel, US Marshals (I don't remember quite how graphic Blackhawk and Collateral were).
Oh, I'm sorry. I missed the, "not too heavy" stipulation  laugh *head desk*.

I just realized I pretty much either watch sic-fi, fantasy, and comedy or movies that are really pregnant with meaning. Bubble gum action has never really been one of my fortes. Sad

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1056 on: December 23, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »

Black Hawk Down is on my list of best war movies.  Joyeux Noel was pretty good as well.  It's in English, French, and German, depending on which side is being presented at the moment.  BTW, by "English" I mean Scottish.  I actually found the Germans the easiest to understand.    Cheesy

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1057 on: December 23, 2011, 10:15:39 PM »

Tron: Legacy.  A movie that doesn't require you to think, it just allows you to sit back and look at how pretty it is. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:16:13 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1058 on: December 23, 2011, 10:47:51 PM »

Currently going through the DVDs that come with the DVDs of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, good stuff. Now on the one on the Treaty of Versailles.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1059 on: December 24, 2011, 12:51:51 AM »

Watching Pulp Fiction.  Again.

Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1060 on: December 24, 2011, 12:54:49 AM »

Just popped in  LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring and about to watch. Sort of. Not really. But it'll be on in the background anyway.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1061 on: December 24, 2011, 01:04:03 AM »

'Stalker,' a very weird Russian sci-fi movie.

FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #1062 on: December 24, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »

I just realized I pretty much either watch sic-fi, fantasy, and comedy or movies that are really pregnant with meaning. Bubble gum action has never really been one of my fortes. Sad

If i had wanted "bubble gum action" i wouldn't have needed to have consulted the forum, there's enough out there to choose from along with most of what passes for comedy which is often lazy production, predictable script and delivered by unfunny talentless try-hards..

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1063 on: December 24, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »

If i had wanted "bubble gum action" i wouldn't have needed to have consulted the forum, there's enough out there to choose from along with most of what passes for comedy which is often lazy production, predictable script and delivered by unfunny talentless try-hards..
I'm sorry. I misinterpreted your call for "not too heavy"! I guess I'm a bit of binary thinker when it comes to movies... You asked for something light and I give you a bunch of war movies and such that are kind of dark and kill off most of the cast. I went too far in the other direction.

Yeah, I find I don't enjoy a lot of modern comedy movies despite my highly refined taste for crude internet fair like WKUK and College Humor.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1064 on: December 24, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »

If WWII vets machine gunning teenage 1980's street punks in a New York alley is "over the top", I don't want to be under the top.

LOL! Merry Christmas Iconodule!

Over the Top you say?

I bring you the greatest arm wrestling movie ever with a trucker protagonist just trying to live a simple life on the road with his son who is in the hands of his dead ex's wealthy and powerful father:

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1065 on: December 28, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »

I've watched the MST3K episode for The Touch of Satan on netflix at least a half dozen times recently... Smiley

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1066 on: December 28, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »

I love that one.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1067 on: December 28, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »

Attempted to watch the Garbage Pail Kids movie the other night

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #1068 on: December 28, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »

Attempted to watch the Garbage Pail Kids movie the other night
You poor, poor creature. Give me your PayPal, I'd like to chip in for the cost of therapy.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1069 on: December 29, 2011, 03:46:29 AM »

My wife and I went to see War Horse tonight. A very good movie. It was refreshing to watch a two hour movie without a stream of profanity and gratuitous sex. There was some intense violence, but it was not gory or explicit. Beautifully filmed with good acting and a few philsophical gems sprinkled in along the way. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but one that is certainly worth watching in my opinion.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Phoenix73

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1070 on: December 29, 2011, 08:23:28 AM »

My wife and I went to see War Horse tonight. A very good movie. It was refreshing to watch a two hour movie without a stream of profanity and gratuitous sex. There was some intense violence, but it was not gory or explicit. Beautifully filmed with good acting and a few philsophical gems sprinkled in along the way. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but one that is certainly worth watching in my opinion.

Selam

I do want to watch this movie, but afraid there are cruel scenes involving animals, I am way too sensitive this way, Water for Elephantsfor me was bad.Do you consider this animal sad/cruel? I will blame it on the trauma of watching Bambi as a child. Roll Eyes
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1071 on: December 29, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »

Selam

What percentage of the movie was violence?  I'm looking for a good WWI movie.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1072 on: December 30, 2011, 06:07:04 AM »

Selam

I do want to watch this movie, but afraid there are cruel scenes involving animals, I am way too sensitive this way, Water for Elephantsfor me was bad.Do you consider this animal sad/cruel? I will blame it on the trauma of watching Bambi as a child. Roll Eyes

The horse endures many trials and struggles, but there was not any deliberate torture or anything like that. I don't want to give away the movie, but I can tell you that it has a more fortunate ending than Bambi or Old Yeller.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1073 on: December 30, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »

Selam
My wife and I just got home from seeing War Horse. I agree entirely with your review.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1074 on: January 02, 2012, 01:04:15 AM »

Selam

Flyboys might work for a certain peculiar definition of "good," but it wouldn't be a very good definition of "good" by most definitions of "good." That may not have made sense, but you still shouldn't watch Flyboys.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1075 on: January 02, 2012, 01:07:04 AM »

Conspiracy Theory with Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts.

Old movie but I just saw it for the first time. A little like Memento.

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1076 on: January 03, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Of course Sir Patrick can do no wrong in my eyes....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1077 on: January 03, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »

Selam

Flyboys might work for a certain peculiar definition of "good," but it wouldn't be a very good definition of "good" by most definitions of "good." That may not have made sense, but you still shouldn't watch Flyboys.

It had Jean Reno in it.  I had no choice.  I fell asleep half way through and had to take up where I left off the next night, but all the same...

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1078 on: January 03, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Of course Sir Patrick can do no wrong in my eyes....

PP

Yupper he's the best. He is an especially good villain. Good acting all round in that flick especially since I usually don't like Julia Roberts.

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1079 on: January 03, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »

PP

Yupper he's the best. He is an especially good villain. Good acting all round in that flick especially since I usually don't like Julia Roberts.
Yeah I never cared for Julia Roberts...she has a mutated, alien mouth. I think she could eat the head of a gorilla in one shot...creepy.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: