Author Topic: New Star Trek TV series coming in 2017!  (Read 5119 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: New Star Trek TV series coming in 2017!
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2018, 01:27:35 AM »
I saw a seemingly legit video showing a new Klingon ship design (to go with the new Klingons themselves). Meh. I am getting more and more pessimistic about this. I didn't want to believe that Fuller gave up being showrunner because the higher-ups were forcing all sorts of trash onto them, but as more details leak out that does seem to be the reality. People are using words like 'soft reboot,' and I'm not even opposed to that if done well. Roddenberry and ST writers never focused on some strict canon that had to be kept, and certain parts of Trek have long been a confused mess. But all this stuff? Ugh.
Changing Klingons again and new Klingon ship design and who knows what else makes me wonder if the series will be worth it.

They already tried a lot of gymnastics to bridge the gap between the Klingons of TOS and TNG in Enterprise; if they're changed again, it's a clear break with any reality that currently exists in ST (and, IMO, is a big mistake).

Well, the forehead ridges are back, so I do think there's any way to reconcile that going forward (for those who don't know, Enterprise explained it away as the result of a botched cure for a genetic virus, except it also showed all the Klingons losing their ridges in that very episode).

T'Kuvma/Voq's group is obviously a cult, so I don't mind that they dress and behave a little differently than standard Klingons (such as how TNG established that Klingons don't care about burying their dead, yet the cult does- sort of). I don't know if we see more TOS-y looking Klingons in other episodes, though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:28:37 AM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2018, 01:13:23 AM »
An interesting video on Worf and Klingon honor in TNG.
I do stuff.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2018, 01:37:33 AM »

+1 At first I was afraid it was going to involve too much shoving square blocks in round holes, but that was actually an interesting and compelling explanation.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:37:50 AM by Asteriktos »
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2018, 01:47:13 AM »

+1 At first I was afraid it was going to involve too much shoving square blocks in round holes

Ah. What do you mean?

but that was actually an interesting and compelling explanation.

Yeah, I like a lot of Chuck's analyses. Like the one on sentient holograms.
I do stuff.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2018, 01:56:54 AM »

+1 At first I was afraid it was going to involve too much shoving square blocks in round holes

Ah. What do you mean?

Just that, with a lot long term franchises (or TV shows), since there are so many creatives involved (hundreds of actors, writers, producers, etc.), trying to claim that there was one grand belief or theme or whatever across the decades can be a dodgy undertaking. A lot of times it just resembles religious people stringing scriptural passages together in an attempt to proof-text their way to a persuasive argument. In this case though the idea was thoughtful and had explanatory weight to it, the evidences he gave fit well, and nothing came to mind as far as major obstacles to it being true. I mean, I still highly doubt that every tv writer who wrote all those old shows were thinking about things exactly as the vid presented it... but then something doesn't need to be infallible or be guaranteed the original authorial intent for it to become decent headcanon.

I subscribed to him now. Will have to look that one up. I remember watching his Garak vid because, well obviously, Garak.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:57:32 AM by Asteriktos »
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2018, 02:15:28 AM »

Ah. What do you mean?

Just that, with a lot long term franchises (or TV shows), since there are so many creatives involved (hundreds of actors, writers, producers, etc.), trying to claim that there was one grand belief or theme or whatever across the decades can be a dodgy undertaking. A lot of times it just resembles religious people stringing scriptural passages together in an attempt to proof-text their way to a persuasive argument. In this case though the idea was thoughtful and had explanatory weight to it, the evidences he gave fit well, and nothing came to mind as far as major obstacles to it being true. I mean, I still highly doubt that every tv writer who wrote all those old shows were thinking about things exactly as the vid presented it... but then something doesn't need to be infallible or be guaranteed the original authorial intent for it to become decent headcanon.

Well, I think fictional characters can also take on a "life of their own" that can be analyzed apart from authorial intent to a degree. The story's own internal logic (or lack thereof), etc.

I subscribed to him now. Will have to look that one up. I remember watching his Garak vid because, well obviously, Garak.

He's one of the recent Channel Awesome walkouts, so I'm sure he'll appreciate the support lol.

And I meant to include a link to that one. It's on the same page as his review of the somewhat disturbing Voyager episode, Fair Haven.

I love Garak. I still need to find a physical copy of the out of print A Stitch in Time, Andrew Robinson's non-canon biography of the character. Have you read it?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:15:54 AM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2018, 02:42:42 AM »
I don't think I ever read that one, no. Tbh I was kind of turned off to DS9 novels based on what I heard about which characters were (or were not) involved, though I don't even remember any of that these days. Anyway, so more vids to watch, but that'll have to wait till tomorrow (2:42am now)...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 03:03:34 AM »
I hope you sleep well :)
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2018, 02:54:28 AM »
Sooooo... this guy has quite a few opinions about Discovery lol... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ797fGjIwM

Spoilers for the end of Discovery Season 1.
I do stuff.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Άλιεύς Ἰχθύων
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2018, 03:32:47 AM »
Season 1: opened with one war crime and nearly ended with another.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2018, 03:37:45 AM »

I haven't actually seen beyond the second episode (aside from a few random tidbits that I accidentally spoiled for myself on the internet).
I do stuff.

Offline Hawkeye

• OC.net guru
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2018, 03:52:10 AM »

I haven't actually seen beyond the second episode (aside from a few random tidbits that I accidentally spoiled for myself on the internet).

I enjoyed it well enough, I just never got past the flouting of the Geneva Conventions by the supposed heroes in episode two. Nothing ever came of it!
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2018, 04:20:38 AM »

I enjoyed it well enough, I just never got past the flouting of the Geneva Conventions by the supposed heroes in episode two. Nothing ever came of it!

Oh hey, we had the same critique! Twinsies!

SFDebris, on the other hand, completely overlooked it which made me sad...
I do stuff.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
I haven't seen the show so I'm not sure what war crime you're referring to. But I will just note generally that heroes performing torture on "bad guys" (human, alien, demon, etc.) seems to be routine and unquestioned in a lot of TV shows and movies.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2018, 03:52:19 PM »
I haven't seen the show so I'm not sure what war crime you're referring to. But I will just note generally that heroes performing torture on "bad guys" (human, alien, demon, etc.) seems to be routine and unquestioned in a lot of TV shows and movies.

At the end of the second episode, they blow up a Klingon ship by hiding a bomb in the coffin of one of their dead as it beams back (these Klingons are unusually fastidious about collecting their coffins).

Not as egregious as torture, certainly, but still kind of oddly disturbing.
I do stuff.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty dirty. I would say that's up there with shooting medics.

Also, I hate the new Klingon design.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:58:46 PM by Iconodule »
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2018, 04:16:01 PM »
Also, I hate the new Klingon design.

I kind of like it the more I see it, to be honest. It has hints of the previous Klingon architecture and material culture that we've seen elsewhere while also implying that there is something very wrong with these particular Klingons (ie. they're a racist messianic cult). I'm also still holding out hope that there's a Hur'q connection there that's yet to be revealed.
I do stuff.

Offline Hawkeye

• OC.net guru
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »

At the end of the second episode, they blow up a Klingon ship by hiding a bomb in the coffin of one of their dead as it beams back (these Klingons are unusually fastidious about collecting their coffins).

Not as egregious as torture, certainly, but still kind of oddly disturbing.

And it was in the aftermath of the battle, when combat had ceased and the Klingons seemed to be letting the survivors go. For being members of the idealistic Federation, no one on the ship voiced any moral concerns about booby-trapping a corpse, and, having seen the season through, this gambit to end the war didn't appear to have done them much good.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »
Word is there are multiple new Trek series in development. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2018, 04:18:12 PM »
^because of multiple universes? :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »
Details seem vague, but one was that Stewart would return as Picard in one of them. Might just be wishful thinking, but I bet CBS would go for it as it'd bring all the older ST fans to the yard.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »
I think the resources would be better spent on a Blake's 7 reboot.
- Berdyaev

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2018, 08:12:42 PM »
I think the resources would be better spent on a Blake's 7 reboot.

+0.52

That could be epic, if done with a nice stack of British actors.  I would enjoy it with a bit more moral ambiguity; the one-note evil regime they were fleeing could be depicted in a more positive light, and some of the main characters might have darker paths and more odious reasons for their fugitive state.  Since, from the perspective of story, the original was brilliant, ergo a reboot should proceed from a different PoV, ergo nBSG and Westworld.

I would have given you a full +1 had you advocated for a proper treatment of Dune by Frank Herbert, which has never been granted anything close to justice; actually of all the Dune novels I would most like to see God Emperor of Dune adopted. 

I would have given you a doubleplusgood, if you will pardon the Newspeak, if one of the myriad excellent science fiction stories never to be filmed were adopted and adopted with quality.  Robert A. Heinlein’s juveniles, the writings of James Blish, or the writings of Cordwainer Smith I think would be particularly interesting.  Asimov and Clarke have been over-filmed.  There are some contemporary authors of very high quality.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2018, 08:24:20 PM »
The Stars My Destination has a lot of potential too, imo.
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2018, 09:00:19 PM »
So, on the one hand, the old producers (the ones who replaced Bryan Fuller) are out amid accusations of a hostile working environment.

But on the other hand, Kurtzman now has a five-year contract to make new Star Trek shows (spoilers for Discovery in this link). I wonder if they'll all be paywalled.
I do stuff.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2018, 08:41:31 PM »
Details seem vague, but one was that Stewart would return as Picard in one of them. Might just be wishful thinking, but I bet CBS would go for it as it'd bring all the older ST fans to the yard.

Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role in New CBS All Access Series

As has been rumored for months, the actor has officially signed on to star in a new Star Trek series for CBS All Access in which he will reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard. The new series will not be a reboot of The Next Generation but instead is being described as an exploration of the next chapter of Picard's life...

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2018, 03:31:52 PM »
Well that premiere was god awful.

Just rewatched it (and the first 10 minutes of the second episode). I wasn't wrong.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2018, 05:50:29 PM »
Cant they get someone younger.  Must be the actors union.

Online Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2018, 08:54:24 PM »
It says "next chapter" so an older Picard (Admiral? Retired?? Court-martialed???!) played by an older Patrick Stewart actually makes sense.
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2018, 09:37:30 PM »
It says "next chapter" so an older Picard (Admiral? Retired?? Court-martialed???!) played by an older Patrick Stewart actually makes sense.
+++

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2018, 04:42:17 AM »
I feel alienated (pun sort of intended) from Star Trek, these days. Yes, I can still watch reruns. Yes, I enjoy watching SFDebris talk about it. But not having CBS All-Access for either Discovery OR the Jean-Luc Picard Fun Time Happy Hour of Learning and Growing For Kids... I just have a hard time caring at all.

Maybe it's just a sign that I'm a huge entitled manchild, but... I feel kind of hurt by CBS.

Here's an interesting Quora thread on the Abramsverse compared to the series. Kind of treads a lot of familiar ground, I guess. Still might be interesting to someone *shrug* https://www.quora.com/If-Chris-Hemsworth-and-Chris-Pine-cant-reach-a-deal-for-the-next-Star-Trek-movie-how-can-the-film-franchise-move-on-without-them
I do stuff.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
I admit I liked the first Abrams film; Into Darkness was a hugely wasted opportunity and pretty lame; Beyond was just an incoherent mess. So it's for the best if the franchise dies. On that Quora thread I agree with Noah Townsend- they are basically trying to make Marvel movies; moving more toward cerebral scifi like Arrival or Interstellar has a lot more potential (I was not a huge fan of those films either but at least they're trying, right?).
- Berdyaev

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »
I still think though that a Blake's 7 reboot, done right, would be the ideal. Give it the BSG treatment and it would blow any Star Trek stuff out of the water. People keep talking about it every few years but I don't think it's going to happen.
- Berdyaev

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »
I admit I liked the first Abrams film; Into Darkness was a hugely wasted opportunity and pretty lame; Beyond was just an incoherent mess. So it's for the best if the franchise dies. On that Quora thread I agree with Noah Townsend- they are basically trying to make Marvel movies; moving more toward cerebral scifi like Arrival or Interstellar has a lot more potential (I was not a huge fan of those films either but at least they're trying, right?).

I actually liked Beyond, heh. Having the "alien" villains turn out to be mutated humans was an interestingly meta commentary on the anthropocentric "rubber forehead alien" trope (even if Sofia Boutella's character, an otherwise great addition, detracts from it a little). The fallen "man of action" Captain who got screwed over by the Federation was a neat mirror for Kirk- in both his positive aspects and his negative. The climax was really cool and even kind of visually mindbending. The final farewell to Leonard Nimoy was really touching.

I do agree that the best of Star Trek has always been in being able to balance both pulp and intellectualism and that the Abrams moves need to tilt the needle away from the former a little more. Wrath of Khan was a really good balance, as was First Contact, and even Generations for all its other faults.
I do stuff.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »
The fallen "man of action" Captain who got screwed over by the Federation was a neat mirror for Kirk- in both his positive aspects and his negative.

The concept had potential but was completely wasted. Fans of The Wire know Idris Elba can do interesting villains, so it's not his fault. Beyond the bare facts of his back-story, there was nothing in the character's dialogue or actions to evoke sympathy for his twisted sense of righteousness, apart from some clumsy lines about how humanity has grown too soft, blah blah.  He is just another throwaway villain. This is the difference between screenwriters who have read Milton and those who haven't.

The climax was really cool and even kind of visually mindbending.

I thought that was where the movie really fell apart. I think JJ Abrams is liked because he is, if nothing else, competent, but here he just lost control of the plot and covered up the incoherence with lots of pyrotechnics.
- Berdyaev

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »
Well, maybe I need to revisit the movie, then. I haven't watched it since it was in theaters.

A Blake's 7 reboot could not hope to replicate the wonder of Gareth Thomas's perm. It is therefore unfilmable, I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:31:49 AM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.