OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 29, 2015, 06:38:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books of Christian History from an Eastern Orthodox POV  (Read 197 times) Average Rating: 0
rosborn

Searching for home

« on: Yesterday at 08:38:17 PM »

Hello,

I am Roman Catholic and will be visiting local Orthodox parishes very soon.  I am interested in Christian history from an Orthodox point of view.  I am particularly interested in something dealing with the various heresies battled in the Eastern Churches and in the Schism with the Latin Church.  I have heard all about these issues from the Western perspective but I need to understand them from the Eastern perspective.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Rob
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:14:13 PM »

As an historian (I am currently finishing my MA in church history) I recommend Jaroslav Pelikan's "The Christian Tradition" series and JND Kelly's "Early Christian Doctrines."

As an Orthodox Christian I recommend Met. Kallistos Ware's "The Orthodox Church," Met. Hilarion Alfeyev's "Orthodox Christianity Volume I: The History and Canonical Structure of the Orthodox Church," and John McGuckin's "The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to its History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture"
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:15:04 PM by truthseeker32 » Logged
rosborn

Searching for home

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:42:15 PM »

As an historian (I am currently finishing my MA in church history) I recommend Jaroslav Pelikan's "The Christian Tradition" series and JND Kelly's "Early Christian Doctrines."

As an Orthodox Christian I recommend Met. Kallistos Ware's "The Orthodox Church," Met. Hilarion Alfeyev's "Orthodox Christianity Volume I: The History and Canonical Structure of the Orthodox Church," and John McGuckin's "The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to its History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture"

Hi Truthseeker32,

Thank you for the book suggestions.  I am particularly interested in Pellikan's series, the book by Metropolitan Alfeyev's book and McGuckin's book.  They appear to be comprehensive treatments of the subject I am interested in.  I have read Metropolitan Ware's book and found it to be too much of a high "fly over" on the topics I am interested in.

I don't know if you're a "cradle" Orthodox Christian, or not but, coming from the Latin Church, one of the things that is always pointed to, when trying to invalidate the Orthodox Church's claim to being the One, True, church that our Lord founded are the heresies that erupted in the Eastern Church.  It has been purported to me that for most of the first millennium the Eastern Church was is schism from the Western Church because of the numerous heresies that ran roughshod through the Eastern Church.  I do not wish to engage in a discussion of the validity of these claims at this time but do want to read for myself, the Eastern Christian point of view, about this time in Christian history.  Don't worry about suggesting difficult material because I have a master's degree in geology and work in the field of science.  In other words, I am quite used to reading complex materials.

Thank you again for suggesting these authors and their works.

Rob
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:13:18 PM »

Hi Truthseeker32,

Thank you for the book suggestions.  I am particularly interested in Pellikan's series, the book by Metropolitan Alfeyev's book and McGuckin's book.  They appear to be comprehensive treatments of the subject I am interested in.  I have read Metropolitan Ware's book and found it to be too much of a high "fly over" on the topics I am interested in.

I don't know if you're a "cradle" Orthodox Christian, or not but, coming from the Latin Church, one of the things that is always pointed to, when trying to invalidate the Orthodox Church's claim to being the One, True, church that our Lord founded are the heresies that erupted in the Eastern Church.  It has been purported to me that for most of the first millennium the Eastern Church was is schism from the Western Church because of the numerous heresies that ran roughshod through the Eastern Church.  I do not wish to engage in a discussion of the validity of these claims at this time but do want to read for myself, the Eastern Christian point of view, about this time in Christian history.  Don't worry about suggesting difficult material because I have a master's degree in geology and work in the field of science.  In other words, I am quite used to reading complex materials.

Rob

Christianity began in the East, all of the councils which defined orthodoxy (by which I mean all orthodoxy, not just the Eastern Church,) were in the East. Also, the Western Church has just as many heresies, the Hussites, the Lollards, the Fraticelli, the Cathars and a whole lot of others.

Also, don't we remember what happened under Rome's watch... some 500 years ago? I would recommend the book I'm reading Christianity the First Three Thousand Years, which deals with the Western and Eastern Churches, undivided and divided, and the Protestant Reformation. It's written by a non-Christian and it's pretty comprehensive despite that.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:20:52 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"We knew not whether we were in Heaven or on Earth… We only know that God dwells there among the people, and their service is fairer than the ceremonies of other nations." (St. Vladimir of Kiev)
rosborn

Searching for home

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:17:51 PM »

Hi Truthseeker32,

I don't know if you're a "cradle" Orthodox Christian, or not but, coming from the Latin Church, one of the things that is always pointed to, when trying to invalidate the Orthodox Church's claim to being the One, True, church that our Lord founded are the heresies that erupted in the Eastern Church.  It has been purported to me that for most of the first millennium the Eastern Church was is schism from the Western Church because of the numerous heresies that ran roughshod through the Eastern Church. I do not wish to engage in a discussion of the validity of these claims at this time but do want to read for myself, the Eastern Christian point of view, about this time in Christian history.  Don't worry about suggesting difficult material because I have a master's degree in geology and work in the field of science.  In other words, I am quite used to reading complex materials.

Rob

Christianity began in the East, all of the councils which defined Orthodoxy were in the East. Also, the Western Church has just as many heresies, the Hussites, the Lollards, the Fraticelli, the Cathars and a whole lot of others.

Also, don't we remember what happened under Rome's watch... some 500 years ago?

I suppose you failed to read this, "I do not wish to engage in a discussion of the validity of these claims at this time ..." that I posted in my response that you quoted.  It is very important to read the response that you are quoting and respond appropriately or you end up looking very foolish, which is exactly what you have accomplished.
Minnesotan
High Elder

Faith: Raised evangelical, inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Not sure where I'll end up yet

From the Land of 10,000 Lakes

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:18:14 PM »

Hi Truthseeker32,

Rob

Well, keep in mind that heresies also ran roughshod in the West (or at least large portions of it) during the same era. "Spanish Adoptionism" (quasi-Nestorian) was one. The Schism of the Three Chapters is another (which again involved quasi-Nestorianism). Donatism is considered Western as well; its adherents spoke Latin and persisted at least until the Islamic invasion of North Africa.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:21:42 PM »

Hi Truthseeker32,

I don't know if you're a "cradle" Orthodox Christian, or not but, coming from the Latin Church, one of the things that is always pointed to, when trying to invalidate the Orthodox Church's claim to being the One, True, church that our Lord founded are the heresies that erupted in the Eastern Church.  It has been purported to me that for most of the first millennium the Eastern Church was is schism from the Western Church because of the numerous heresies that ran roughshod through the Eastern Church. I do not wish to engage in a discussion of the validity of these claims at this time but do want to read for myself, the Eastern Christian point of view, about this time in Christian history.  Don't worry about suggesting difficult material because I have a master's degree in geology and work in the field of science.  In other words, I am quite used to reading complex materials.

Rob

Christianity began in the East, all of the councils which defined Orthodoxy were in the East. Also, the Western Church has just as many heresies, the Hussites, the Lollards, the Fraticelli, the Cathars and a whole lot of others.

Also, don't we remember what happened under Rome's watch... some 500 years ago?

I suppose you failed to read this, "I do not wish to engage in a discussion of the validity of these claims at this time ..." that I posted in my response that you quoted.  It is very important to read the response that you are quoting and respond appropriately or you end up looking very foolish, which is exactly what you have accomplished.

I wasn't discussing the validity of any claim, I was just showing that it had no merit.

"We knew not whether we were in Heaven or on Earth… We only know that God dwells there among the people, and their service is fairer than the ceremonies of other nations." (St. Vladimir of Kiev)
rosborn

Searching for home

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:27:05 PM »

I wasn't discussing the validity of any claim, I was just showing that it had no merit.

Obviously you are so convinced that you have yet to convert despite the fact that you've been on the forum long enough to amass over 4,100 post.  Since this is a BOOK review forum and that is what I asked for suggestions for, what book or books do you suggest?
rosborn

Searching for home

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 11:28:38 PM »

Hi Truthseeker32,

Rob

Well, keep in mind that heresies also ran roughshod in the West (or at least large portions of it) during the same era. "Spanish Adoptionism" (quasi-Nestorian) was one. The Schism of the Three Chapters is another (which again involved quasi-Nestorianism). Donatism is considered Western as well; its adherents spoke Latin and persisted at least until the Islamic invasion of North Africa.

Um, I asked for a book recommendation and specifically one or more that pertained to the Eastern Church.  Do you have a suggested work?
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:38:46 PM »

Obviously you are so convinced that you have yet to convert despite the fact that you've been on the forum long enough to amass over 4,100 post.  Since this is a BOOK review forum and that is what I asked for suggestions for, what book or books do you suggest?

Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years written by a non-Christian, about the whole history of Christianity.

rosborn

Searching for home

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:46:19 PM »

Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years written by a non-Christian, about the whole history of Christianity.

As I stated earlier in this thread, again...reading earlier posts is important to the continuity of any thread, I am specifically interested in an EASTERN Christian point of view about the various heresies and schism that occurred in Christian East prior to the Great Schism.  There, I've stated my interest at least twice.  Perhaps it is now clear.  I am not interested in a work of history dealing with the entirety of Christian history.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:52:11 PM »

As I stated earlier in this thread, again...reading earlier posts is important to the continuity of any thread, I am specifically interested in an EASTERN Christian point of view about the various heresies and schism that occurred in Christian East prior to the Great Schism.  There, I've stated my interest at least twice.  Perhaps it is now clear.  I am not interested in a work of history dealing with the entirety of Christian history.

I'm a pauper, that's all I've got to offer.

rosborn

Searching for home

« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:00:39 AM »

I'm a pauper, that's all I've got to offer.

So, really your only contribution this thread, in which I requested suggestions for books dealing with the EASTERN Christian point of view on the heresies originating in the EASTERN Church, was to post a map of illustrating the lands of the Protestant Reformation and the title of a book that does not pertain to what I asked about written by a man who is not even a Christian, let alone an EASTERN Christian!?!  Classic example of responding to a thread for absolutely no reason with absolutely nothing valuable to add.

You really didn't need to contribute.  Truthseeker32 had it all covered in his first response to my original post.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:05:50 AM »

Hello,

I am Roman Catholic and will be visiting local Orthodox parishes very soon.  I am interested in Christian history from an Orthodox point of view.  I am particularly interested in something dealing with the various heresies battled in the Eastern Churches and in the Schism with the Latin Church.  I have heard all about these issues from the Western perspective but I need to understand them from the Eastern perspective.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

Some pre-schism heresies are covered by Fr. John Romanides at the Romanity web site.
http://www.romanity.org/cont.htm#roman

Volnutt
Protokentarchos

Faith: Might become Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: Today at 12:19:22 AM »

If you don't mind my asking, where do you go to school? I've thought about perusing a degree in Church History.

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:21:54 AM »

I'll second the recommendation for Met Kallistos (Timothy) Ware's The Orthodox Church. The first section of the book is a pretty good run-down of Orthodox history. If you can find them, I'd also highly recommend Fr Georges Florovsky's writings on Church history.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:26:44 AM »

I'll second the recommendation for Met Kallistos (Timothy) Ware's The Orthodox Church. The first section of the book is a pretty good run-down of Orthodox history.

Nobody reads threads?

I have read Metropolitan Ware's book and found it to be too much of a high "fly over" on the topics I am interested in.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:33:22 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:17:26 AM »

OP, you should ask Monachos.net as well.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #18 on: Today at 05:30:44 AM »

I would recommend:

Byzantine Christianity: Emperor, Church and the West

by Harry J. Magoulias

ISBN 13: 9780814317051

ISBN 10: 0814317057

Paperback

Detroit, Michigan, U.s.a.: Wayne State Univ Pr, 1982

This is a most concise & substantive little book (less than 200 pp.) covering the period from Constantine to the fall of Constantinople in 1453. The main 4 sections include: Byzantine Christianity (BC) & the Imperial Cult, BC & the heresies, BC & mysticism, & BC & the west. It was actually written in 1971 originally published by Rand McNally, Lib of Congress Catalog # 70-75615. It might not be easy to find though & there is little online info re it.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: