OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:14:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 31909 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »

I heard today that Peter Jackson may direct an episode of Doctor Who in the not-too-distant future. Apparently, he's always wanted to, but has been too busy recently producing and directing The Hobbit trilogy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/doctor-who-showrunner-says-peter-721153

The Hobbit movies are laughable... but then again, so is the new Doctor Who.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »

I heard today that Peter Jackson may direct an episode of Doctor Who in the not-too-distant future. Apparently, he's always wanted to, but has been too busy recently producing and directing The Hobbit trilogy.

We get the point that you don't like the new Doctor Who. You don't need to keep repeating that.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »

We get the point that you don't like the new Doctor Who. You don't need to keep repeating that.
I enjoy venting my disdain as much as you enjoy parading your execrable taste.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »

After over 50 episodes of Old Who over a month, I'll take New Who any day, and twice on Sunday.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »

Anyone catch the premiere episode for the new Doctor? I'm on the fence with this one. I like the idea of taking an older direction and the (almost flat-out stated in the script) decision to cut back the hyper-sexualization of the Doctor that has taken place throughout the nuWho time period. I don't like the fact that this Doctor seems to be a call back to the wrong Baker.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2014, 01:14:42 AM »

Except that by venting your disdain every opportunity you get, you only make yourself look like a party pooper. Now go rain on somebody else's parade and let us Whovians have our fun.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2014, 07:18:24 AM »

Except that by venting your disdain every opportunity you get, you only make yourself look like a party pooper.
You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »

Except that by venting your disdain every opportunity you get, you only make yourself look like a party pooper.
Yes, it is. You don't like the new Doctor Who. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. You're even entitled to defend your opinion with substantial arguments.

Reminding us that you don't like the new Doctor Who every time you get the chance, even when you're contributing nothing new to the thread, only serves to antagonize those Doctor Who fans who look at this thread as a way of talking about what's new on their favorite TV program. What you're doing is a bad thing. Some would even call it trolling.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:00:43 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »

Yes, it is. You don't like the new Doctor Who. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. You're even entitled to defend your opinion with substantial arguments.

Reminding us that you don't like the new Doctor Who every time you get the chance, even when you're contributing nothing new to the thread, only serves to antagonize those Doctor Who fans who look at this thread as a way of talking about what's new on their favorite TV program. What you're doing is a bad thing. Some would even call it trolling.

You make some good points. How about this: I'll stop trash-talking the new Doctor Who if you start agreeing with me. Does that sound fair?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »

You make some good points. How about this: I'll stop trash-talking the new Doctor Who if you start agreeing with me. Does that sound fair?
No. Why should anyone submit to your blatant attempt to control debate in this way? I will agree or disagree with you only on those principles I consider important and NOT in submission to any attempt by you to control a debate in your favor.

I'll tell you what. Feel free to trash talk the new Doctor Who as much as you want, for I never asked that you stop. All I ask (and all that I have ever asked) is that whenever you do trash talk the new Doctor Who, you give supporting arguments for your trash talk. Explain why you don't like the program. Is the acting bad? Do you not like the story lines? Are the new enemies too over the top? etc. Give us an actual review. After all, this is the Reviews board. Even a negative review is a good review if it's well supported. All I ask is that you stop taking hit-and-run potshots at the new Doctor Who and at the opinions of those who like the program. Either give us a detailed evaluation of what you don't like about the new Doctor Who or don't post on this thread. It's really that simple.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2014, 12:44:58 PM »

No. Why should anyone submit to your blatant attempt to control debate in this way? I will agree or disagree with you only on those principles I consider important and NOT in submission to any attempt by you to control a debate in your favor.

I'll tell you what. Feel free to trash talk the new Doctor Who as much as you want, for I never asked that you stop. All I ask (and all that I have ever asked) is that whenever you do trash talk the new Doctor Who, you give supporting arguments for your trash talk. Explain why you don't like the program. Is the acting bad? Do you not like the story lines? Are the new enemies too over the top? etc. Give us an actual review. After all, this is the Reviews board. Even a negative review is a good review if it's well supported. All I ask is that you stop taking hit-and-run potshots at the new Doctor Who and at the opinions of those who like the program. Either give us a detailed evaluation of what you don't like about the new Doctor Who or don't post on this thread. It's really that simple.

I must say that I enjoyed the rather silly BBC costume drama - which was wildly anachronistic - Musketeers over the summer. Calpaldi's portrayal of Richelieu was so campy, he could have been a villian on the 1960's Batman show which perhaps accounts for why some don't see him as the Doctor.He really gave the old Cardinal a Snidely Whiplash take... (He was Burgess Meredith playing the Penguin playing Richelieu....) But I look forward to season two for good summer fare next year...

Can't say for sure though, as I've only been a casual Doctor watcher over the years though....
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »

I like the new guy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »

Again, your redoubtable rigor in the realm of reason reproves me. You are exactly right. It is only fair that I provide the rationale behind my disdain for the new series, otherwise I am but a tiresome windbag. Let us therefore make a pact: I shall enumerate my reasons for not liking the new series, provided that you promise to agree with them. Do we have a deal?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »

Again, your redoubtable rigor in the realm of reason reproves me. You are exactly right. It is only fair that I provide the rationale behind my disdain for the new series, otherwise I am but a tiresome windbag. Let us therefore make a pact: I shall enumerate my reasons for not liking the new series, provided that you promise to agree with them. Do we have a deal?
No. I will not agree with you on anything just because I am bound by a stupid pact to do so. Therefore, I'm not making any pact.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2014, 10:27:33 AM »

No. I will not agree with you on anything just because I am bound by a stupid pact to do so. Therefore, I'm not making any pact.

My dear Pete, we appear to be at an impasse. I think it is best that we now institute a moratorium on discussing Doctor Who, since we cannot do so in a civil manner. The topic of this thread shall no longer be about Doctor Who, but our favorite colors.

My favorite color is red. How about yours?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »

There should be a new episode on BBC America tonight. Yay!  Smiley

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »

My dear Pete, we appear to be at an impasse. I think it is best that we now institute a moratorium on discussing Doctor Who, since we cannot do so in a civil manner. The topic of this thread shall no longer be about Doctor Who, but our favorite colors.
Do NOT call me Pete!

My favorite color is red. How about yours?
Let's keep this thread on topic, shall we? The topic is Doctor Who. If you wish to discuss something other than Doctor Who, then don't post on this thread.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:35:47 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »

Amusing.

PtA took the troll bait hook, line and sinker, even though it was so obvious.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:56:25 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2014, 11:29:37 PM »

Amusing.

I knew what Iconodule was doing, and I know what I'm doing. I took the bait, but I did so intentionally, for a reason. Cool
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2014, 11:31:45 PM »

Dr. Who is on first, Dr. What is on second . . . Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2014, 11:37:28 PM »

The new episode was good.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #111 on: Yesterday at 11:27:29 AM »

All I ask (and all that I have ever asked) is that whenever you do praise the new Doctor Who, you give supporting arguments for your adulation. Explain why you like the program. Is the acting good? Do you like the story lines? Are the new enemies da bomb? etc. Give us an actual review. After all, this is the Reviews board. Even a positive review is a bad review if it's not supported. All I ask is that you stop making hit-and-run accolades of the new Doctor Who. Either give us a detailed evaluation of what you like about the new Doctor Who or don't post on this thread. It's really that simple.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #112 on: Yesterday at 04:08:07 PM »

All I ask (and all that I have ever asked) is that whenever you do praise the new Doctor Who, you give supporting arguments for your adulation. Explain why you like the program. Is the acting good? Do you like the story lines? Are the new enemies da bomb? etc. Give us an actual review. After all, this is the Reviews board. Even a positive review is a bad review if it's not supported. All I ask is that you stop making hit-and-run accolades of the new Doctor Who. Either give us a detailed evaluation of what you like about the new Doctor Who or don't post on this thread. It's really that simple.
Iconodule, stop trolling this thread.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:09:51 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #113 on: Yesterday at 06:32:08 PM »

Amusing.

I am compelled, by public reason just, to vigorously repel this slanderous accusation of "trolling" the thread. Nay, but rather, I have sought, in my modest way, to elevate a discourse which heretofore amounted to little more than a convocation of concordant grunts. It is indeed those who would populate the thread with such banalities as "The new episode was good" who keep the thread in the mire of folly and who would more fitly be named "trolls." And to this paltry sum of thought I have but applied Pete's very measure and rule which he applied to me, no more nor less. Verily, I took the Philistine's own sword and cut his head off with it! And if this be enough to earn censure then a woeful double standard has evinced itself. 

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #114 on: Yesterday at 08:04:12 PM »

Undecided Haven't watched it for years. Have I missed anything? Or should that be decades?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:05:14 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #115 on: Yesterday at 09:52:39 PM »

Enough.  The General Fora are described in the rules as being for "Discussion, no debates or polemics.  These are information-only sections, with relevant discussion of topics permitted."  Therefore, criticizing another's "execrable taste," calling in return a "party pooper," are not the sort of things which should occur here.  At first, some of this appeared to be in good fun, but the repeated calling of Peter the Aleut "Pete," after he requested that such not be done, and the back-and-forth about trolling are crossing the line.  Any more of this and I will need to take action. 

- Yurysprudentsiya

Tags: Doctor Who Bow ties are cool! 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: