Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 954404 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5265 on: June 21, 2017, 07:27:31 AM »
Caught between introducing my son to The Wombles and finishing off anything half-read I have lying around, because The Asylum... is coming up and will be commanding my undivided attention.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5266 on: June 21, 2017, 07:38:33 AM »
Just got the new Terry Brooks.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #5267 on: June 21, 2017, 08:18:29 AM »
A Swedish biography of William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army (Fanny Ekenstierna, William Booth, Frälsningsarméns skapare - en livsbild) that I picked off a table where people can exchange books for a friend who likes biographies but, as it turned out, doesn't read Swedish. It offers a glimpse into Victorian attitudes to religion and is interesting not least because most of the societal problems Booth was dealing with at the end of the 19th century are still with us today.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5268 on: June 21, 2017, 09:21:18 AM »
Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
The Gods of Pegana by Lord Dunsany
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline youssef

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: none
« Reply #5269 on: June 21, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Seeing Islam As Others Saw It: A Survey and Evaluation of Christian, Jewish and Zoroastrian Writings on Early Islam
Robert G Hoyland

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5270 on: June 22, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »
I am finally getting a chance to read some Ancient Greek comedy:  Frogs and other plays / Aristophanes ; translated with an introduction and notes by Stephen Halliwell.  Are other Ancient Greek comedy writers as vulgar as Aristophanes was?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5271 on: June 22, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »
I am finally getting a chance to read some Ancient Greek comedy:  Frogs and other plays / Aristophanes ; translated with an introduction and notes by Stephen Halliwell.  Are other Ancient Greek comedy writers as vulgar as Aristophanes was?

Very little comedy has survived, but satire did become a lot tamer over time, as government became more conservative.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5272 on: June 22, 2017, 01:51:11 PM »

You might want to take a look at multiple translations. It's becoming fashionable for translators to put a very personal stamp on Greek plays. I'm not saying anything to condemn Halliwell. But someone like Lattimore has a better reputation for stolid accuracy.

The comedies could definitely be vulgar.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5273 on: June 22, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »
Indeed.  I thought Clouds was tolerable because the plot was funny. Women at the Thesmophoria had too much for me.  Frogs was not too bad, but I had trouble seeing as much humor in it as others would.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:58:33 PM by Luke »