Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 118227 times)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2160 on: May 29, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »
George Gently.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2161 on: May 29, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »
The Wire

Excellent TV Series.
I am missing Season 3, and it, besides Deadwood, are the only two, oh, plus The Sopranos, I would own.

I guess I need to force myself to watch a few episodes of The Wire. I've tried to begin it two or three times, and it just didn't ring authentic to me. But maybe I just need to give it time to evolve. But I love The Sopranos. I think it's brilliant on every level.
Selam

Yeah, Coptic O Boy has a fair taking on The Wire....parts go slowly as I found the first season to be a bit, stick it out and see that they all tie together as it does pick up and continuity maintained throughout. Michael Williams, the character playing Omar (amoral evil)  was amazing though not developed until later, he was my favorite and almost as good as Idris Elba (purposed evil).

Yeah Omar is great.  Favorite cop is Lester Freamon, same goals overall as Mcnulty but just so much more likable (at least for me).

Lester was the top coolest dude there, however I always found McNulty to be just the Token White Guy. A heavy load carrier was Michel Lee.....hey, I may have to watch this again.....
Thanks for the trip down memory lane....can't get SWMBO to watch it per the language, and doesn't believe it is almost a character in itself like when Bunk and McNulty were in the kitchen with only one word (expletive) said during the whole scene!
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• Elder
« Reply #2162 on: June 02, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
The Wire

Excellent TV Series.
I am missing Season 3, and it, besides Deadwood, are the only two, oh, plus The Sopranos, I would own.

I guess I need to force myself to watch a few episodes of The Wire. I've tried to begin it two or three times, and it just didn't ring authentic to me. But maybe I just need to give it time to evolve. But I love The Sopranos. I think it's brilliant on every level.
Selam

Yeah, Coptic O Boy has a fair taking on The Wire....parts go slowly as I found the first season to be a bit, stick it out and see that they all tie together as it does pick up and continuity maintained throughout. Michael Williams, the character playing Omar (amoral evil)  was amazing though not developed until later, he was my favorite and almost as good as Idris Elba (purposed evil).

Yeah Omar is great.  Favorite cop is Lester Freamon, same goals overall as Mcnulty but just so much more likable (at least for me).

Lester was the top coolest dude there, however I always found McNulty to be just the Token White Guy. A heavy load carrier was Michel Lee.....hey, I may have to watch this again.....
Thanks for the trip down memory lane....can't get SWMBO to watch it per the language, and doesn't believe it is almost a character in itself like when Bunk and McNulty were in the kitchen with only one word (expletive) said during the whole scene!

*******POSSIBLE SPOILERS***********
Well finished The Wire up.  Was hoping for a one on one showdown between Marlo and Omar, but sadly namely came to fruition.  I can still see why many praise it as one of if not the best show ever filmed.  When Breaking Bad was reaching its end many were arguing between The Wire and Breaking Bad was the best.  After finishing both shows, and I know I stated it earlier, I enjoyed Breaking Bad overall.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2163 on: June 02, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »
Started Breaking Bad, about 2/3 through the 1st season it just went dry on me....changed writers or what? Will try again as the first few episodes had plenty of character development, twists and "fun" but somehow just lost interest.
Although The Wire was about the best, I recall seeing The Sopranos when I was laid up......won't compare, but that was pure opera......totally and strangely enjoyable. Wish the finale was more....different though.
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #2164 on: June 02, 2015, 10:33:08 PM »
Looking at the wiki for Breaking Bad now and trying to remember... ep. 5 (gray matter party) was perhaps my least favorite of the series*, Jesse's relationship with his parents isn't very exciting (at least at this point in the series), and Tuco isn't an especially awesome big bad. The 2nd season is somewhat hit and miss as well, but starts picking up around ep. 7. I think the series continues to improve after that for the rest of its run, and has a particularly nice climax in its final season.

*though Walt turning down the offer is an important piece in my argument that Walt was never a "good guy" who got turned evil/transformed/corrupted over time, but rather was always of such a character/compass, and the main thing that changed was the opportunities available, and Walt's confidence/arrogance increasing.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #2165 on: June 02, 2015, 10:41:47 PM »
Game of Thrones ****spoilers**** ...did it bother anyone else that Tormund (I think it was) was able to easily crush the skull of the one undead dude under the gate without any special effort, yet all the thousands that threw themselves off a high cliff onto the ground below were just fine? I know it was a really awesome visual, but I require common sense, real physics, and believable writing/motivations in my zombie undead fantasy medieval-like fictional tv shows! wait, wut?   ;D

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2166 on: June 02, 2015, 11:01:16 PM »
*though Walt turning down the offer is an important piece in my argument that Walt was never a "good guy" who got turned evil/transformed/corrupted over time, but rather was always of such a character/compass, and the main thing that changed was the opportunities available, and Walt's confidence/arrogance increasing.

My thoughts exactly. All he had to do was swallow his pride and take the money.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2167 on: June 02, 2015, 11:03:38 PM »
Re-watching Star Trek Enterprise. Is it flawed? Most definitely (especially the final episode).

I don't understand why everybody treats it like visual arsenic, though. It still had a lot of good episodes and characters.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2168 on: June 04, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
Looking forward to the Dark Matter premiere. The trailer has me very intrigued.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #2169 on: June 05, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »
Looking for suggestions similar to "Moone Boy" and "The IT crowd"

If anything, closer to the latter, and im not a fan of peep show.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #2170 on: June 05, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
"Touching Evil."

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #2171 on: June 05, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
Looking for suggestions similar to "Moone Boy" and "The IT crowd"

If anything, closer to the latter, and im not a fan of peep show.

The only thing I'm watching that I can think of is Silicon Valley, but I am thinking only of similar contexts (if I understand what the IT show is) with nerd culture, gadgets/tech, and along those lines. I have no idea about similarities in tone, character dev, plots, approach to humor, etc.

Offline Marc1152

• Toumarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #2172 on: June 09, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »
"Life Below Zero" on Nat. Geo
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #2173 on: June 14, 2015, 11:55:42 PM »
What a disappointing night.

***HBO spoilers***

GoT - I saw the poison thing coming as soon as they kissed. I thought the nudity with Cercei was much more than needed, especially considering that they were having issues when filming (I think in Croatia) because of it. I guess they were trying to show her vulnerable and ruled over and shamed, and I'm sure in real life it wouod very much be, but here it just seemed...  meh. I had hoped to see the face of the mountain clegane as well. The scenes with Arya were the best I thought, especially in the brothel, though as I think back over the season I'm frustrated with how little happened.. in pretty much all the storylines. Still dob't know what's up with Jorah.. can you not transmit the greyskin this early or what? and after Dany was touched, both her suave lover guy and the friend girl were also touched... Good bye, Jon Snow.. I was glad it was Brienne of Tarth to kill Stannis, though I think a TON OF PEOPLE and reviewers (you can't be both) are completely wrong about him.. he deserved no mercy or defense, but he did not do all this stuff the last couple weeks out of greed or lust for power.. are you people not watching this show? listening to the dialogue..  glad 'reek'  finally helped Sansa, though of course it was the girl he stopped and not Ramsay.. that thud when the girl hit the ground was pretty sick sounding though

Silicon Valley - This show is going downhill fast; the writing for these last few episodes have been terrible; I'm not even saying no more

Veep - *shrugs* twas ok I guess

Offline William T

• Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2174 on: June 16, 2015, 10:45:24 PM »
What a disappointing night.

***HBO spoilers***

GoT - I saw the poison thing coming as soon as they kissed. I thought the nudity with Cercei was much more than needed, especially considering that they were having issues when filming (I think in Croatia) because of it. I guess they were trying to show her vulnerable and ruled over and shamed, and I'm sure in real life it wouod very much be, but here it just seemed...  meh. I had hoped to see the face of the mountain clegane as well. The scenes with Arya were the best I thought, especially in the brothel, though as I think back over the season I'm frustrated with how little happened.. in pretty much all the storylines. Still dob't know what's up with Jorah.. can you not transmit the greyskin this early or what? and after Dany was touched, both her suave lover guy and the friend girl were also touched... Good bye, Jon Snow.. I was glad it was Brienne of Tarth to kill Stannis, though I think a TON OF PEOPLE and reviewers (you can't be both) are completely wrong about him.. he deserved no mercy or defense, but he did not do all this stuff the last couple weeks out of greed or lust for power.. are you people not watching this show? listening to the dialogue..  glad 'reek'  finally helped Sansa, though of course it was the girl he stopped and not Ramsay.. that thud when the girl hit the ground was pretty sick sounding though

I guess I have a polar oppossite  reaction.  Everything about the last episode made me wonder what was going to happen  in the next season.  Also, everyone other than the white walkers, the Boltons and the High Sparrow (the only people I really  really hate on the show) are left looking defeated or in question.

While I do think most of these trendy dramas today use too much unnecessary violence, sex, and "class warfare" (for lack of a better term)  I thought Cersies punishment  was done well.  It seems exactly  like the punishment an organization  like the High Sparrows  would give to her...and it seemed brutal to me.  I really felt for her.  I think the mountain  with his helmet on just adds more suspense  for next season .

Im confused about Stannis and John's deaths.  Both seemed to have really incomplete story lines, and Stannis' death  was a bit ambiguous.  Even if they are both dead, I think there is still a lot more story to be gotten from them that will manifest.  I guess if stannis is dead, it may  as well be by Brienne.  Not happy how John died though.

I saw the Lannister girls death coming as soon as she was happy and hugged Jamie...that's an obvious telegraph someone  will die.  I didn't see it comming before that though.

I agree with you on Arya.  She was one of my favorite  stories until this season.  Her story really dragged.  Not sure what the payoff with Jorah and his disease will be, though I've been wondering about that.
"While other animals look downwards at the ground, he gave human beings an upturned aspect, commanding them to look towards the skies, and, upright, raise their face to the stars. So the earth, that had been, a moment ago, uncarved and imageless, changed and assumed the unknown shapes of human beings."

Ovid, Metamorphosis Book I

Online wainscottbl

• Aspie weirdo of the forum
  • Archon
« Reply #2175 on: July 05, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
SHARK WEEK!
True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them — the desire to do right — is precisely the same.

--Robert E. Lee

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2176 on: July 05, 2015, 01:18:21 PM »
Yonderland :angel:
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online wainscottbl

• Aspie weirdo of the forum
  • Archon
« Reply #2177 on: July 05, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »
Ghost Adventures

Next Food Network Star
True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them — the desire to do right — is precisely the same.

--Robert E. Lee

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #2178 on: July 05, 2015, 04:13:36 PM »
Right now, I'm watching the repeat airing on tee vee of the Germany - England game.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #2179 on: July 05, 2015, 04:20:34 PM »
Again and again...

The 1981 version of Brideshead Revisited.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:20:44 PM by Cyrillic »
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!"
-T.S. Eliot

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #2180 on: July 05, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
That's pretty good! :)

I'm watching older seasons of "Midsomer Murders."

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #2181 on: July 05, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »
That's pretty good! :)

Pretty good? It's a mix of heaven and awesome.

I'm watching older seasons of "Midsomer Murders."

Not bad. Not bad at all.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:42:50 PM by Cyrillic »
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!"
-T.S. Eliot

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #2182 on: July 05, 2015, 11:17:21 PM »
Just watched Studio Trigger's "Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade"

I'd say it was worth the wait. Hoping that this will get its own feature length film or series soon.
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #2183 on: Yesterday at 12:18:52 AM »
Falling Skies, season 5.  So far, two episodes.  It 's been ok.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene