Author Topic: "Orthodoxy & Heterodoxy" (2017 edition) available to order  (Read 628 times)

Offline asdamick

• A very tall hobbit with elvish aspirations
  • Khouri Al-Imwas
    • Fr. Andrew
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
"Orthodoxy & Heterodoxy" (2017 edition) available to order
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »
The new edition of Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy: Finding the Way to Christ in a Complicated Religions Landscape is now available on pre-order: http://store.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxy-and-heterodoxy-finding-the-way-to-christ-in-a-complicated-religious-landscape-2017-edition/

The book is about 90% bigger than the 2011 edition, and if you're curious about how it's different, you can read it all here:  http://blogs.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxyandheterodoxy/2016/04/02/whats-revised-orthodoxy-heterodoxy/

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have.  Thanks!

The Very Rev. Archpriest Andrew Stephen Damick, Emmaus, Pennsylvania

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" (2011) & "An Introduction to God" (2014) (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press), as well as the forthcoming "Bearing God" (2017).

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: "Orthodoxy & Heterodoxy" (2017 edition) available to order
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
The new edition of Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy: Finding the Way to Christ in a Complicated Religions Landscape is now available on pre-order: http://store.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxy-and-heterodoxy-finding-the-way-to-christ-in-a-complicated-religious-landscape-2017-edition/

The book is about 90% bigger than the 2011 edition, and if you're curious about how it's different, you can read it all here:  http://blogs.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxyandheterodoxy/2016/04/02/whats-revised-orthodoxy-heterodoxy/

From your page:
Major Historical Heresies (Docetism,... Nestorianism, Monophysitism, ..., Monothelitism, Monoenergism,...)

He writes on p. 23,
Also called Eutychianism for its founder, Eutyches, Monophysitism taught that Jesus Christ was not "in two natures", but rather only "from two natures," forming a sort of hybrid nature which was half-God and half-man

Wasn't Eutyches' teaching not that Christ had a hybrid half God half-man nature, but rather that Christ's godly nature swallowed the manly nature, leaving only the one godly nature out of those two natures involved?

Offline JTLoganville

• Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »
And here I thought that I was getting a bargain when I fell for the $5.00 fire sale price of the original book earlier today upon receipt of an Ancient Faith email blast.

As Charlie Brown would say,  "RATS!"

Offline mcarmichael

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:24:10 AM »
And here I thought that I was getting a bargain when I fell for the $5.00 fire sale price of the original book earlier today upon receipt of an Ancient Faith email blast.

As Charlie Brown would say,  "RATS!"
That is a bargain, though.
Sun Tzu said:
This is war.
It is the most important skill in the nation.
It is the basis of life and death.
It is the philosophy of survival or destruction.
You must know it well.

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 06:42:36 AM »
I guess, I'll spring on this new one.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline asdamick

• Khouri Al-Imwas
    • Fr. Andrew
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »

From your page:
Major Historical Heresies (Docetism,... Nestorianism, Monophysitism, ..., Monothelitism, Monoenergism,...)

He writes on p. 23,
Also called Eutychianism for its founder, Eutyches, Monophysitism taught that Jesus Christ was not "in two natures", but rather only "from two natures," forming a sort of hybrid nature which was half-God and half-man

Wasn't Eutyches' teaching not that Christ had a hybrid half God half-man nature, but rather that Christ's godly nature swallowed the manly nature, leaving only the one godly nature out of those two natures involved?

This is one of the things clarified.  It's worth noting, though, that the language of a "hybrid" nature (or a "synthesis") is often still used in scholarly sources when discussing Eutychian Monophysitism.  The "half-" language is pretty inexact, though, so I've eliminated it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:15:52 PM by asdamick »

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" (2011) & "An Introduction to God" (2014) (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press), as well as the forthcoming "Bearing God" (2017).

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 02:18:14 PM »
As I recall, the statement of Eutyches that aroused the most controversy was that Christ was not consubstantial with his mother.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »
Cargo cults even made the cut. Awesome.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »
In Louisiana, those are called Cargeaux cults.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 06:37:56 PM »
In Louisiana, those are called Cargeaux cults.

Yes, but they only worship Mike the Tiger.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
Are Cargo Cults still a thing?
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »
Is this a good book to read if you know almost nothing about the protestant wing of Christianity. The discussions here use terms that just sound like gibberish to me.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 04:47:02 PM »
Does Aphthartodocetism make it in?
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
I am a bit on the fence on whether to get this right away, in part because of late I have been a bit focused on the Panarion of St. Epiphanius of Salamis.  Everything in the Panarion is per se heretical, whereas in the case of the Roman Catholics, we tend to forget that they broke communion with us, not vice versa; I think the wishlist for ecumenical reconciliation contained in the first edition was not entirely realistic or appropriate (it would impose on the RCC humiliating concessions which in many cases do not represent an actual return to the pre-1054, or in the case of Antioch, pre-1078 Status quo ante).

My other concern is whether or not the anti-OO sentiments of Nicholas Marinides have influenced the new book.  I stopped reading the O&H blog largely because of his articles (which seemed to target the OOs while ignoring Assyrians, RCs, Protestants, et cetera).   If these views are not reflected in the text for the new book I will almost certainly get it.

The original book was very enjoyable, although I also have to confess some of the explanations that followed the descriptions of non-Christian religions, explaining how they differed from Eastern Orthodoxy, were a bit obvious.  I would have preferred it had Archpriest Andrew likened them to various unpleasant biological creatures in the manner of St. Epiphanius (for example, I am sure we could mostly agree that Islamic fundamentalism is analogous to Smallpox).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:59:16 PM by wgw »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 05:56:21 PM »

That would be interesting if it did, given that the EOs basically rejected it using an argument and a theological approach essentially derived from St. Severus.  Apthartodocetism was the main theological error of St. Justinian (who I think deserves a lot of credit for introducing into the Byzantine liturgy the Ho Monoges hymn, also written by St. Severus, which I consider to be the best defense against Christological error).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:59:48 PM by wgw »

Offline asdamick

• Khouri Al-Imwas
    • Fr. Andrew
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »
Is this a good book to read if you know almost nothing about the protestant wing of Christianity. The discussions here use terms that just sound like gibberish to me.

Yes, the book introduces Protestant denominations from their beginnings, explaining their distinctive history and doctrines.

Offline asdamick

• Khouri Al-Imwas
    • Fr. Andrew
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »

No.  Honestly, if I included everything that could be included, the book would probably have ended up 4x bigger rather than 2x.  :)  Most of the ancient heresies just get about a paragraph, anyway.

Offline asdamick

• Khouri Al-Imwas
    • Fr. Andrew
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 07:05:35 PM »
I am a bit on the fence on whether to get this right away, in part because of late I have been a bit focused on the Panarion of St. Epiphanius of Salamis.  Everything in the Panarion is per se heretical, whereas in the case of the Roman Catholics, we tend to forget that they broke communion with us, not vice versa; I think the wishlist for ecumenical reconciliation contained in the first edition was not entirely realistic or appropriate (it would impose on the RCC humiliating concessions which in many cases do not represent an actual return to the pre-1054, or in the case of Antioch, pre-1078 Status quo ante).

That "wishlist" was eliminated from this edition in favor of a lot more nuance, expansion and even some correction.

My other concern is whether or not the anti-OO sentiments of Nicholas Marinides have influenced the new book.  I stopped reading the O&H blog largely because of his articles (which seemed to target the OOs while ignoring Assyrians, RCs, Protestants, et cetera).   If these views are not reflected in the text for the new book I will almost certainly get it.

The treatment of the OOs in the new edition is nearly the same as in the first edition.  A brief description is given of the rejection of the heresy of Eutyches and mention that Miaphysitism is considered different by those who adhere to it.  I regard the Chalcedonian question as being entirely too large for this work.

The original book was very enjoyable, although I also have to confess some of the explanations that followed the descriptions of non-Christian religions, explaining how they differed from Eastern Orthodoxy, were a bit obvious.  I would have preferred it had Archpriest Andrew likened them to various unpleasant biological creatures in the manner of St. Epiphanius (for example, I am sure we could mostly agree that Islamic fundamentalism is analogous to Smallpox).

Alas, I think you'll be disappointed again in that regard.  :)  Part of the point of this revision/expansion is to steer away from polemic and more toward an irenical approach, though without flinching from necessary critique.  Likening one's interlocutors to diseases tends to put one in the former category.  :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:05:59 PM by asdamick »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 09:26:05 PM »

No.  Honestly, if I included everything that could be included, the book would probably have ended up 4x bigger rather than 2x.  :)  Most of the ancient heresies just get about a paragraph, anyway.
I only ask because it's a common one today.

There's a reason why some Byzantine manuscript has "nor the son" cut out of it!
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 02:36:24 AM »
If you say "nor the Son", you should also include the so-called "Agnoete" as well.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 10:26:48 AM »

I only ask because it's a common one today.

There's a reason why some Byzantine manuscript has "nor the son" cut out of it!
The suggestion that Jesus was somehow faking it when he prayed or declared his ignorance of something does seem to be embedded in some mainstream sources. For instance, Saint John Damascene says that Jesus prayed only to give us an example. I agree it is a problem that needs more attention.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 10:32:54 AM »

That "wishlist" was eliminated from this edition in favor of a lot more nuance, expansion and even some correction.

The treatment of the OOs in the new edition is nearly the same as in the first edition.  A brief description is given of the rejection of the heresy of Eutyches and mention that Miaphysitism is considered different by those who adhere to it.  I regard the Chalcedonian question as being entirely too large for this work.

Alas, I think you'll be disappointed again in that regard.  :)  Part of the point of this revision/expansion is to steer away from polemic and more toward an irenical approach, though without flinching from necessary critique.  Likening one's interlocutors to diseases tends to put one in the former category.  :)

That sounds very nice actually.  I will definitely get the new version!