Author Topic: Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series  (Read 728 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series
« on: May 17, 2017, 01:34:18 PM »
Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series

Netflix will develop and produce a new show based on The Witcher Saga, the series of eight novels by Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the hugely popular CD Projekt Red RPG games...

It's not clear as yet what specific stories the series will follow...

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »
In Poland The Witcher series from 2002 was a disaster.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »
I wonder if they're going to do it primarily from the POV of Geralt, or move around between several perspectives like the books. The latter seems to work with Game of Thrones, but I think if they try to do the same with this it'll not turn out well. Not that the focus has to be Geralt, but just have someone as primary; maybe Ciri if not Geralt; Yennefer could be hard since she's written as such a cold-hearted and mean person.

If you remember/know, what was the Polish TV series like?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 03:27:12 PM »
If you remember/know, what was the Polish TV series like?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hexer_(TV_series)

I was about 10 then, so I remember very little. One of the elements I've remembered the best are eyes of the witcher played by Michał Żebrowski  :laugh:

I also can recall also that one of the main issues was the fact that there were some (many?) elements that weren't compatible with the books.
Another problem that the episodes for the series were being made at once along with the movie under the same title.
That's a pity, since a few very good Polish actors played in it, also some that are dead now.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 04:05:14 PM »
I'm looking forward to this.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 01:57:53 AM »
Coming in 2019, starring Henry Cavill as Geralt. Yes, seriously.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:04:13 AM »
Also, Ciri might not be white and people are losing their minds over that.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »

yeah why should a character that is white now be portrayed as black or Asian!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 11:56:39 AM »

Well, the first question to ask is always, "Are they specified as white in the text or do we just assume that they are because we unconsciously tend to think of white as the default setting for humanity?"

Here we go round the mulberry bush...
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »

Well, the first question to ask is always, "Are they specified as white in the text or do we just assume that they are because we unconsciously tend to think of white as the default setting for humanity?"

"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
  • Christ Enthroned
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 12:02:04 PM »

She looks pretty white to me

http://cdn1-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2018/09/netflix-witcher.jpg

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »

She looks pretty white to me

http://cdn1-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2018/09/netflix-witcher.jpg

Depends on whose standards of whiteness you're using. There was a time in the US when Italians weren't considered white, Greeks are still considered non-white in Australia (or so I've been told). It's a very fluid term.

And, even if she is, the fact that a game based on the novels made her white need not have any bearing on whether a TV show based on them should do the same.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
And, even if she is, the fact that a game based on the novels made her white need not have any bearing on whether a TV show based on them should do the same.

I'd have to go back and confirm, but I think she might have been described as white in the books. However, since 95% of people are wrong (in saying the books are great) and the books are actually boring trash*, I'm perfectly fine with them changing anything they want. Plus, the games changed a ton of stuff, and no one flipped out about any of it, you just got the typical "the book was better" comments.

The race thing came up when the game came out, with some people asking why all the characters in the game seemed to be white. Fanboys defended the decision by saying that the books were based on Eastern European history and culture. Apparently this IP with dwarves, elves, mythical monsters, magicians, alternate dimensions/realities, magical travel portals, and mutant protagonists really just needs to focus on realism and historical accuracy.

Having said that, I get why people are throwing a fit.

*I may be overstating thing, but only a little bit
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:32:51 PM by Asteriktos »

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 02:42:44 PM »
Well, if she's white in the books then she should be white in the show, yeah (although Roland from Dark Tower being white is actually a minor plot-point in one of the books, but Stephen King has gone on record saying he didn't mind them casting Idris Elba, so perhaps it varies).

In principle though, yes, there's no good reason for a fantasy world to be all white (whether historical Eastern Europe was really that white or not).

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »

Well, the first question to ask is always, "Are they specified as white in the text or do we just assume that they are because we unconsciously tend to think of white as the default setting for humanity people in a Medievalesque Northeastern European-like setting?"

Guilty as charged.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:53:13 PM by Cognomen »
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »

Well, the first question to ask is always, "Are they specified as white in the text or do we just assume that they are because we unconsciously tend to think of white as the default setting for humanity people in a Medievalesque Northeastern European-like setting?"

Guilty as charged.

Debatable. We've found evidence for black people in England even in Roman times (and in Elizabethan London they were so numerous that good Queen Bess actually wrote a letter to the Mayor of London complaining about it). Larger cities probably always would have had one or two brown merchants running around, at the very least. They'd be a minority, sure, but they might still exist.

And besides, why should it matter in a fantasy world? Dragons are suddenly more normal than black people?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:00:05 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 03:15:07 PM »
In medieval northeastern Europe there's a lot of interaction- at certain places and times- with Turkic and Mongol populations, so homogeneity was not necessarily the case everywhere. If it's given a plausible explanation I'm alright with it. I don't know anything about the Witcher though. And, to be fair, the urge to cast certain kinds of people in things just to check off boxes that are unrelated to the story is obnoxious.

When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
In medieval northeastern Europe there's a lot of interaction- at certain places and times- with Turkic and Mongol populations, so homogeneity was not necessarily the case everywhere. If it's given a plausible explanation I'm alright with it. I don't know anything about the Witcher though. And, to be fair, the urge to cast certain kinds of people in things just to check off boxes that are unrelated to the story is obnoxious.

In historical fiction, it should likely be explained, sure. But I don't see why that's necessary for fantasy.

And I agree that diverse casting can sometimes be forced, but so can "color-blind" casting (like in the Earthsea TV series). There's an uneasy balance in the middle.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 04:00:24 PM »
In Earthsea, as I recall, the author actually intended the majority of the characters to be black and the casting team flouted that.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
In Earthsea, as I recall, the author actually intended the majority of the characters to be black and the casting team flouted that.

You're right. Not the best example...

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 07:28:22 AM »
I wasn't stating that everyone in Medieval Northeastern Europe was white. I was claiming that it's not unreasonable to assume, unconsciously or not, that someone from that time and place would more than likely be so.

I was also admitting that I had made the assumption that characters in this setting were white, but because of the context, not due to attributing "whiteness" to all of "humanity."

Likewise, I'm guilty of envisioning Robin Hood's Merry Men as being white too, despite the existence of non-whites in England during that time. Initially, it struck me as odd to hear white folk refer to themselves as African (and not some qualifying, hyphenated form of African). It's a reasonable and not necessarily racist association that people make. In the specific case of the Witcher, I think the accusation that people assume whiteness as the "default setting for humanity" is a stretch. And to insist that people fight the urge to make assumptions in all cases is kind've a radical and silly request.

And besides, why should it matter in a fantasy world? Dragons are suddenly more normal than black people?

I don't much care who is cast in whatever role this is, but why do you?

And yes, it could be argued from the viewpoint of film/TV show creation of a Medieval-like, European fantasy setting, dragons might be viewed as more normal to viewers--black people included--than black people. And there's nothing "suddenly more normal" about it. It is suddenly more normal to cast certain kinds of people to check off boxes (see below), regardless of how the decision affects the quality of the work. 

And, to be fair, the urge to cast certain kinds of people in things just to check off boxes that are unrelated to the story is obnoxious.

In risk of contradicting my previous statement about not caring, I have to agree with this. If it works, great, but it frequently comes off as forced.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.