Author Topic: 5 Warnings of a Toxic Faith  (Read 2594 times)

Online William T

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch

Online Svartzorn

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
Re: 5 Warnings of a Toxic Faith
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 11:02:16 PM »
Does it mean those God forsaken liberals who are always trying to push their fruity little agenda onto religious people or religious people who actually stan up to the threat of those freaks?
Death to the world dodos.

Online William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 12:21:41 AM »
While there may be something formally correct in what you state, more likely than not you're approach to this does more harm than good and very well may be indicative of the attitude the article is warning against.

"God forsaken Liberal" comes of as an abstraction, and an abstraction internet "dialectitions" and "diagnosticians" thrive on. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:22:16 AM by William T »

Offline Diego

• Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 12:49:07 AM »
To be blunt, she sounds like a liberal, left wing, borderline pinko commie. And I don't say that lightly. She is a soft-minded idiot.

Online William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 01:01:56 AM »
To be blunt, she sounds like a liberal, left wing, borderline pinko commie. And I don't say that lightly. She is a soft-minded idiot.

Let's call the first two posts on this a wash and try to make this article (written by a nun) just a tad less "internety"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:03:46 AM by William T »

Offline Diego

• Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 01:07:09 AM »
One of the liberal orders in America, I don't doubt.

Online William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 01:25:30 AM »

For the record I could see a certain kind of not too uncommon  "left wing" millennial styled polemicist calling the article "neo-liberal bourgeois sentimentalism".  Such people like you and others are probably impervious and hermetically sealed off to anything I have say or think, I'm not that clever.

Anyway, your comments are uninteresting to me and this is my last response to you on this thread and probably any future threads unless you prove yourself otherwise capable of being at least mildly amusing.  Hopefully other posters won't be as fished in as I was by the counter productive posts and just ignore this as I don't think your post, and perhaps the first post are good for much of anything other than "kulturkamf" threads and other internety things.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:42:02 AM by William T »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 02:38:50 AM »
Does it mean those God forsaken liberals who are always trying to push their fruity little agenda onto religious people or religious people who actually stan up to the threat of those freaks?
at least not on the surface.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Online William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 03:29:41 AM »
While I am probably susceptible to the whole list in some way or another, my big fault with this list is number 3.  Being a bit of an empirical and sensuous fellow, I like shiny things and can get a bit too attached to externals.  And she seems right about consequences , I can get a bit proud and quick to write people off.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:34:14 AM by William T »

Online Svartzorn

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 03:59:35 AM »
While there may be something formally correct in what you state, more likely than not you're approach to this does more harm than good and very well may be indicative of the attitude the article is warning against.

"God forsaken Liberal" comes of as an abstraction, and an abstraction internet "dialectitions" and "diagnosticians" thrive on.

Precisely the reason why I keep out of the politics forum, to which this thread will probably be moved.
Have some pity. People's comments are not supposed to be for your personal amusement.

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 04:01:49 AM »
So, there's a Christian site called...vagabondage? (that's what aleteia-αλητεία is)
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: the one people like to criticize
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 04:08:39 AM »

Just a hint about argumentation: It's possible to disagree with anything and support your case. But if you want people to think that your motivation is 'loving the sinner but hating the sin', avoid using emotive expressions like 'God forsaken liberals', 'their fruity little agenda' and 'those freaks'. Maybe these expressions are neutral in Portuguese (assuming that's your main language), but in English they're not.

Online William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 05:21:32 AM »
So, there's a Christian site called...vagabondage? (that's what aleteia-αλητεία is)

lol, really?  This was just a random facebook thing that was linked to me because It's from a Chicago bookstore that I 99% of the time ignore. 

Has that word in Greek ever been used in a  Christian context?

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 05:37:56 AM »
She's more right than wrong.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"

Online Svartzorn

• Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »

Just a hint about argumentation: It's possible to disagree with anything and support your case. But if you want people to think that your motivation is 'loving the sinner but hating the sin', avoid using emotive expressions like 'God forsaken liberals', 'their fruity little agenda' and 'those freaks'. Maybe these expressions are neutral in Portuguese (assuming that's your main language), but in English they're not.

Oh, I know. Didn't do it for the sake of argument :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:57:51 AM by Svartzorn »

Online William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »

If I can sum up a trend in some of your posts it's this:

There is an original (often times innocuous) post, you overtly draw out the most political and sectarian implications.  You make a comment like "I'm trying to avoid politics".  And at least on this thread you stated you weren't even trying to argue?  What's your function?

If I read you right: I could accuse anything ever stated as being ideological and political.  The problem with that is it is an unwarranted act of extreme suspicion and will automatically lead down unproductive paths that turn into some kind of dog eat dog world view.  It's a dead end and fallacious way of behaving.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:12:53 PM by William T »

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »
Hmm, me thinks thou doth protest too much.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 12:27:59 PM »
One of the more conservative ones actually.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 12:56:01 PM »
The Sister's blog on Patheos is certainly an interesting read.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 01:46:16 PM »

Yeah, I think I read a couple of her articles before and liked them.  I think she's part of a colorful group of gals that run a bookstore and other Catholic media in Chicago.

Offline Ainnir

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 05:46:32 PM »

Yeah, I think I read a couple of her articles before and liked them.  I think she's part of a colorful group of gals that run a bookstore and other Catholic media in Chicago.

I love the sound of colorful nuns.  :D  I've been both the perpetrator and target of all 5 of those at some point or another.  It took being on the receiving end, unfortunately, to get me to where I try very hard not to fall into any of those.  Plus, at this particular point in my journey, I don't have much of a leg to stand on when raising a bullhorn.  We'll see how that has developed in a couple of decades.  I like the spirit of the article; I see it as a holistic spirit of charity and love, not necessarily compromise or weak convictions (not knowing anything about her).

Online Svartzorn

• Elder
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »

If I can sum up a trend in some of your posts it's this:

There is an original (often times innocuous) post, you overtly draw out the most political and sectarian implications.  You make a comment like "I'm trying to avoid politics".  And at least on this thread you stated you weren't even trying to argue?  What's your function?

If I read you right: I could accuse anything ever stated as being ideological and political.  The problem with that is it is an unwarranted act of extreme suspicion and will automatically lead down unproductive paths that turn into some kind of dog eat dog world view.  It's a dead end and fallacious way of behaving.

I always tend to think some people will study the most crazy stuff. But someone trying to aprehend OC.net's posters patterns is a wild one. Got endorsement for your research?
Some of my functions, let me know if you need more material for that paper:

Now, seriously, the only unproductive path here is trolling the opposition without going political or argumentative. Because it's all they deserve: mockery.
That's why I stay out of the politics forum, but will still give a position some smear, for I can't remain neutral - I'm not that good.

But it's a funny thing, isn't it?. If you go liberal all the way those kind of "people" will not try to belittle you saying you're toxic. It's only when you stand up against the attacks of post-modernity on religion that you become some kind of bummer.
Biased junk. And you call it "good stuff". And then you try to be analitic hwen I'm just being over the top.
Sigh ::)

Online William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 09:55:15 PM »

I love the sound of colorful nuns.  :D  I've been both the perpetrator and target of all 5 of those at some point or another.  It took being on the receiving end, unfortunately, to get me to where I try very hard not to fall into any of those.  Plus, at this particular point in my journey, I don't have much of a leg to stand on when raising a bullhorn.  We'll see how that has developed in a couple of decades.  I like the spirit of the article; I see it as a holistic spirit of charity and love, not necessarily compromise or weak convictions (not knowing anything about her).

lol, Nuns can certainly make one's life a bit more interesting. 

I think we've all fallen for those things in one way or another (as we've probably broken every commandment in someway or another).  I think when push comes to shove, most recognize we are  not in a good place when we do that I think most of us who grew up in a positive environment of faith understand that relativism is dangerous, but there are also wrong ways of approaching it and thinking about it.