Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 772998 times)

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Re: What's everyone listening to?
« Reply #6660 on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »
Becoming the Archetype - Celestial Completion (album)

I like those guys. Forgot they existed... are they dropping something new this year?

I thought they might since it's been a few years, but their site seems to be dead, except for one very recent post on their blog, which basically said they haven't been saying much, and probably wouldn't for a while. Their forum is also dead.
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6661 on: March 28, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »
Cannibal Corpse - As Deep as the Knife Will Go

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6662 on: March 29, 2015, 09:49:30 AM »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6663 on: March 29, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »

Surfing the 'net is fun until now.  I just looked up the lyrics........what is wrong with this world? and......never mind.....nonya is right.
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6664 on: March 29, 2015, 02:18:01 PM »

Surfing the 'net is fun until now.  I just looked up the lyrics........what is wrong with this world? and......never mind.....nonya is right.

Many people feel that way when reading the Old Testament...  'hacked him to pieces'  'the two girls raped their father while he was sleeping'  'and God says, kill everyone, including the pregnant women, young children, and old folks; you can keep the pre-teen girls for spoils of war to use as wives though'   etc. etc.   ???

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #6665 on: March 29, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »

Wimps and posers, leave the hall!

Offline Alxandra

• ☦ ICXCNIKA ☦
  • Elder
    • Blog
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #6666 on: March 29, 2015, 05:21:33 PM »
David Garett playing Vivaldi
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6667 on: March 29, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
"Death Walks Behind You," Atomic Rooster
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6668 on: March 29, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »

Wimps and posers, leave the hall!

Believe this: I never went in, nor got near it. I like Justin's stuff and was simply wondering/surfing.....never mind......when I was young all the old folks kept saying "What? I can't understand the words. And when I do, who would listen to such"? But for us it was only "Baby, baby" and "Mama, Mama"...and something about blue suede.....never mind. But now? Maybe the music is so loud it will make folks deaf, and then the only thing in the brain box will be such lyrics?
Lord, have mercy but SOON.
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6669 on: March 29, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »

Online Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #6670 on: March 29, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »

+1

How sadistically he maims fine music. He belongs in the same circle of musical hell as André Rieu.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:44:43 PM by Cyrillic »
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6671 on: March 29, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »

+1

How sadistically he maims fine music. He belongs in the same circle of musical hell as André Rieu.

Truly Orthodox: never change.
Both love new arraignments of new as well as old, and both love playing to me, the crowd. I know 'purists' disdain such, but even those in the underbelly get to enjoy gifts from The Giver.
Play on.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6672 on: March 29, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
Believe this: I never went in, nor got near it. I like Justin's stuff and was simply wondering/surfing.....never mind......when I was young all the old folks kept saying "What? I can't understand the words. And when I do, who would listen to such"? But for us it was only "Baby, baby" and "Mama, Mama"...and something about blue suede.....never mind. But now? Maybe the music is so loud it will make folks deaf, and then the only thing in the brain box will be such lyrics?

My point wasn't very well laid out (or at all) in the last post, but I guess the idea is just that we can become familiar with certain things (violence, sexuality, etc.) which, if we saw/heard those same things but lacked the familiarity, we might be offended, disgusted, outraged, etc. I'm sure someone transported from 1940, who had only seen the type of fantasy-horror movies they had back then, would be stupefied* by modern horror movies. But many people of my generation or younger can watch 99% of them and consider them tame. Maybe some things are gross, but moreso in the way that immature toilet is off-putting, and not in an offensive way. I personally don't much care for the Cannibal Corpse artwork over the years... nor the Scorpions covers (also censored), nor a lot of others, and generally don't know the lyrics. I do know though that they're fairly tame compared to a good number of other bands. Maybe that I'm desensitized is a bad thing though.

*18 years I've known the word, and that's the first time I've ever used stupefied/stupefy in a sentence! Score!  ;D

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6673 on: March 29, 2015, 10:12:47 PM »
Mastodon Show How to Play "Divinations" Guitar Lessons

This is awesome....they should have released it like this on the album. Or maybe put out an album of just the songs like this. Wouldn't cost much (if anything) except a few hours of time, with everything being digital and everyone having recording equipment.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6674 on: March 29, 2015, 10:39:40 PM »
"From the Rain Captain," Locust Toybox
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6675 on: Yesterday at 09:09:35 AM »

My point wasn't very well laid out (or at all) in the last post, but I guess the idea is just that we can become familiar with certain things (violence, sexuality, etc.) which, if we saw/heard those same things but lacked the familiarity, we might be offended, disgusted, outraged, etc. I'm sure someone transported from 1940, who had only seen the type of fantasy-horror movies they had back then, would be stupefied* by modern horror movies. But many people of my generation or younger can watch 99% of them and consider them tame. Maybe some things are gross, but moreso in the way that immature toilet is off-putting, and not in an offensive way. I personally don't much care for the Cannibal Corpse artwork over the years... nor the Scorpions covers (also censored), nor a lot of others, and generally don't know the lyrics. I do know though that they're fairly tame compared to a good number of other bands. Maybe that I'm desensitized is a bad thing though.

*18 years I've known the word, and that's the first time I've ever used stupefied/stupefy in a sentence! Score!  ;D

Someone from the 1940s, and 50s had radio. The visions from the spoken word, as well as the words of the album you listen to, are more vivid & greater than any movies, TV, etc. That's cool.
Gore and such is not new. Shakespeare's tragedies had about everyone dead at the end, etc.   If you want passions that are a LOT more human, try opera plots.
Be careful young guy, as you know if you put garbage in....................

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #6676 on: Yesterday at 09:35:22 PM »
Isaac Hayes: "Hung Up On My Baby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdgRMFlxTJk

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox