OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 08:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RC Opinions of John T. Noonan?  (Read 845 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:54 AM »

Given some of Noonan's methodology and conclusions in his books, I would think that more traditional Catholics* would shy away from him. For a few examples, in his book Contraception Noonan omits oral tradition from the list of resources that early Christians used to form their views on contraception, said that Stoicism had a "profound" influence on Christian thought on the topic, and also pointed out that Augustine condemned the ancient version of NFP. In another book of his that I've read, A Church That Can And Cannot Change, he seemed to argue that Christian morality has changed over time, a position I imagine many more traditional Catholics would disagree with. Yet I see Noonan's name brought up from time to time by Catholics, especially in discussions on contraception, when he is treated like an authority. What, in general, do more traditional Catholics think of him?

* By "more traditional Catholics" I merely mean those who take their Church and it's teachings seriously, attend mass regularly, support the Church on issues like contraception and a celibate priesthood, etc.

EDIT--While I don't own either of the two books mentioned anymore, I can still provide references (and in some cases full quotes) for the claims made in regard to Noonan's book on Contraception, if someone wants them. I'm afraid I didn't save any references or quotes from the other book.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:53:36 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:55:12 AM »

I don't have much to contribute to this thread.  However, as I read the title and OP, I had the urge just to repeat "Nnnn-oonan!" over and over again. Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »

Given some of Noonan's methodology and conclusions in his books, I would think that more traditional Catholics* would shy away from him. For a few examples, in his book Contraception Noonan omits oral tradition from the list of resources that early Christians used to form their views on contraception, said that Stoicism had a "profound" influence on Christian thought on the topic, and also pointed out that Augustine condemned the ancient version of NFP. In another book of his that I've read, A Church That Can And Cannot Change, he seemed to argue that Christian morality has changed over time, a position I imagine many more traditional Catholics would disagree with. Yet I see Noonan's name brought up from time to time by Catholics, especially in discussions on contraception, when he is treated like an authority. What, in general, do more traditional Catholics think of him?

* By "more traditional Catholics" I merely mean those who take their Church and it's teachings seriously, attend mass regularly, support the Church on issues like contraception and a celibate priesthood, etc.

EDIT--While I don't own either of the two books mentioned anymore, I can still provide references (and in some cases full quotes) for the claims made in regard to Noonan's book on Contraception, if someone wants them. I'm afraid I didn't save any references or quotes from the other book.
I have never read any of his books or even heard his name. Perhaps that will give an idea of what traditional Catholics think of him. LOL.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 05:10:47 PM »

Well, my experience with Roman Catholicism is about 8-9 years out of date, but back when I was exploring Catholicism and Orthodoxy before I became Orthodox, apologists like Dave Armstrong quoted/referenced Noonan quite a bit. I used to quote/reference him quite a bit too, and I wasn't even Catholic. But I could have unknowingly had my view skewed or something.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »

Well, my experience with Roman Catholicism is about 8-9 years out of date, but back when I was exploring Catholicism and Orthodoxy before I became Orthodox, apologists like Dave Armstrong quoted/referenced Noonan quite a bit. I used to quote/reference him quite a bit too, and I wasn't even Catholic. But I could have unknowingly had my view skewed or something.
Well now I have something to add to my reading list. I'm curious about his views. I will tell you that I do not like Christopher West one bit. He writes about Catholic sexual ethics but I think that he's a looney.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »

I concur about Christopher West, as do others far more eminent than me. No less than Dr. Alice von Hildebrand described herself as "shocked and horrified" by the irreverence he employs in mangling John Paul II's Theology of the Body.

As for Noonan, never heard of him.
Tags: noonan 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: