OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 08:28:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pan-Orthodox Christian Singles Party and Dance  (Read 3031 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« on: December 07, 2003, 08:56:52 PM »

Saturday, January 10, 2004   7:00pm - Midnight

at SAINTS PETER AND PAUL ANTIOCHIAN ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHURCH
10620 River Road, Potomac, Maryland 20854

Cost: $5 per person for a practically unlimited assortment of appetizers, dips, sandwiches, salads, desserts, beverages and festive punches.

Directions can be found here.

If you have questions call V. Rev. Gregory Safchuk at (301) 320-0739 or saf.ga@verizon.net.

RSVP by Monday, January 5, 2004, to Diana Haverlack at (703) 759-1551 or dianahav@earthlink.net.

I have posted this announcement as a service to those Orthodox singles who visit this site and occasionally wonder aloud how one meets other eligible Orthodox Christians.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 08:57:12 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 08:58:06 PM »

Linus, are you wife hunting again??? Grin

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 09:03:36 PM »

If I go, can I get a discount on the mercedez-benz raffle they're having?  Tongue

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 09:04:56 PM »

Linus, are you wife hunting again??? Grin

No way!

If anything ever happens to my wife I will become celibate and probably enter a monastery.

I just got the announcement above at church today and thought I would post it for the benefit of our single members.

Honest!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 09:07:44 PM »

If I go, can I get a discount on the mercedez-benz raffle they're having?  Tongue

Mercedes?

This is an Orthodox Church we're talking about here!

They may raffle off a dish of baklava, but that's about it!  Wink

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 09:09:08 PM »

linus: um hum . . . sure.  Wink  your posts in the polygamist thread start to make sense now . . . . Grin

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 09:10:04 PM »

https://www.peterpaul.net/raffle.htm

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 09:12:28 PM »

Wow!

Well, shut my mouth!

They are raffling off a Merc!

What is this, a converted Episcopal Church?  Wink

- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 09:13:01 PM »

Mercedes?

St. Sophia Cathedral in Washington DC raffles a Mercedes EVERY YEAR at the annual Greek Festival.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 09:14:32 PM »

Wow!

Well, shut my mouth!

They are raffling off a Merc!

What is this, a converted Episcopal Church?  Wink

um hum . . . polygimist wife hunting and car raffles!! shame on you linus!! lol Grin

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 09:15:47 PM »

Mercedes?

St. Sophia Cathedral in Washington DC raffles a Mercedes EVERY YEAR at the annual Greek Festival.

Hey, I'm just a redneck from the Shenandoah Valley. What do I know?

If we raffled off anything, it would be a Ford pickup with "Farm Use" license plates!  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 09:27:51 PM »

... and a gun rack.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2003, 09:39:07 PM »

... and a gun rack.

Ah . . .

You've been here!  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 12:31:50 AM »

Interestingly, my beautiful wife and I met at the church where Fr. Gregory Safchuk is now priest (St. Mark's in Bethesda, Md.) several years ago; he wasn't the priest then.  It was just after liturgy one day, not at an "event," we started talking, and one thing led to another, and here we are, 3+ years married.  Thank God, no Mercedes.

The new SS. Peter & Paul Antiochian Church right down the road is beautiful -- their former building is tiny in comparison.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2003, 12:42:00 AM »

Sad that poooooooooor woman.  Grin

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2003, 12:42:14 PM »

Hmmm... I would consider going, but I've already rented a car to be in Jordanville over Christmas & until the 11th.  Maybe for the chance to win a Benz I would consider cutting the trip short...
As for St. Peter & Paul's, it's a very nice church, & our choir sang a concert there last june.  Everyone from that parish that I met was very nice & welcoming.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2003, 02:52:01 AM »

Gee thanks Linus that is so very helpful.  Once again another east coast event. Oh well.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2003, 01:39:41 AM »

Gee thanks Linus that is so very helpful.  Once again another east coast event. Oh well.

Sorry, man. This is where I live, so I hear about stuff here.

Maybe this announcement helped someone.

Hope so, anyway.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2003, 09:05:08 PM »

Sad that poooooooooor woman.  Grin

Cheesy  Ha Ha Ha  very funny!
Actually, I was at a few of these "Orthodox meat markets" (as I used to call them) with the Greek Orthodox YAL (Young Adult League) as a kid.  Never amounted to anything, most people were either bored out of their mind our drunk.  So if you don't go, you're really not missing much (unless, of course, you are interested in an Orthodox meat market).

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2003, 03:18:16 AM »

Bump, in case any interested persons have not yet seen this announcement.

Read the original post and make up your own minds regarding the whole "meat market" thing.

If I was young and single (I'm neither) I would go. It sounds like fun to me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 03:20:03 AM by Linus7 » Logged

- Pope St. Hormisdas
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2003, 05:08:22 PM »

I'm married, but I feel sorry for all the Orthodox single males in my area.  First of all, the Greek girls will pretty much only marry other Greeks.  At my church, the only single women just about are the clergy's daugthers.   Talk about intimidating!  Thank goodness I'm married already.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: