OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 05:54:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite seminaries?  (Read 1981 times) Average Rating: 0
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« on: October 26, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »

Where are the WRO clergy of the ROCOR and the Patriarchate of Antioch trained? I'm asking about all the countries with the WRO presence.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »

I imagine that ROCOR (though I'm not certain) Western Rite priests, at least here in the states, would be trained at Holy Trinity Seminary/Monastery in Jordanville.

However, for Antiochians, the only other jurisdiction to offer western rite, they are trained at St. Tikhon's, St. Vlad's and Holy Cross.  They are given education in EAstern Orthodox dogma and there are some classes in western rite liturgies, but I doubt it's comprehensive.  As many of the Western Rite priests come from an Episcopalian, Lutheran or Catholic background, I don't think they have to be trained strictly in liturgics as they have that training already.

But I have heard something that may indicate a new seminary to be available for strictly western rite priests.  Metropolitan JONAH has made numerous overtures to disenfranchised Episcopalians who have now formed the Anglican Church of North America (ACNA) and he recently gave a speech to a number of them in someplace in Wisconsin where a seminary is located.  Now, keep in mind that all of this is speculative, there may be the chance that this particular seminary, in an agreement with the ACNA, may also train Orthodox WEstern Rite priests.  If such is the case, I think there is cause for concern.  WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.  I don't care if the ACNA is close to Orthodoxy; they are not Orthodox, pure and simple.  Again, all speculation, but if such thing were to achieve fruition, I think we are going to need another Bishop RAPHAEL to clean up the mess, no matter how good the intentions of Metropolitan JONAH are.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »

Antiiochian Orthodox Seminarians (western rite and eastern rite also have to attend special sessions of the House of Antiochian Studies during the Summer in which their specific traditions/rites are discussiojn more intimately during sevreal week seminars and classes. Western Rite seminarians are encouraged to understand both eastern  and western rites by taking calsses in both at the various seminaries. Special catechisms have been developed for the western orthodox rites to limit there need for going to non-orthodox sources for calss material.

The Western Rite in the Antiochian Archdiocese is still in a development and stabilization period but seems to be doing very well.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 04:32:24 PM »

Thank you for your answers.

http://mail.white-rabbit.ca/churchsites/www.christminster.org/seminary.htm - does anyone know, if this one still functions?
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »

Now, keep in mind that all of this is speculative, there may be the chance that this particular seminary, in an agreement with the ACNA, may also train Orthodox WEstern Rite priests.  If such is the case, I think there is cause for concern.  WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.  I don't care if the ACNA is close to Orthodoxy; they are not Orthodox, pure and simple.  Again, all speculation, but if such thing were to achieve fruition, I think we are going to need another Bishop RAPHAEL to clean up the mess, no matter how good the intentions of Metropolitan JONAH are.

No such agreement has been tendered or approved between Nashotah House and St Vlad's, or OCA and ACNA.  Please don't put out that kind of speculation.  There are enough people around who are bashing SVS and the OCA over that conference, acting as if it were a rehash of the Council of Florence.  In reality, barring some shady backdoor dealings that didn't make it onto Ancient Faith Radio, it was just some harmless schmoozing between schools and nothing more. 

Metropolitan Jonah would like to introduce these nice ACNA people to Orthodoxy, especially now that their type is being courted by Rome, but I'm confident that Met. Jonah wouldn't let them jump the gun and "convert without conversion" in the interest of creating a OCA western rite.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:23:01 AM »

Metropolitan Jonah would like to introduce these nice ACNA people to Orthodoxy, especially now that their type is being courted by Rome, but I'm confident that Met. Jonah wouldn't let them jump the gun and "convert without conversion" in the interest of creating a OCA western rite.

Right. Didn't he tell them in June pointblank that they held to heretical beliefs and could not become Orthodox until they abandoned their heresy?  Wink I certainly can't see His Beatitude being rash.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 03:37:20 AM »

Now, keep in mind that all of this is speculative, there may be the chance that this particular seminary, in an agreement with the ACNA, may also train Orthodox WEstern Rite priests.  If such is the case, I think there is cause for concern.  WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.  I don't care if the ACNA is close to Orthodoxy; they are not Orthodox, pure and simple.  Again, all speculation, but if such thing were to achieve fruition, I think we are going to need another Bishop RAPHAEL to clean up the mess, no matter how good the intentions of Metropolitan JONAH are.

No such agreement has been tendered or approved between Nashotah House and St Vlad's, or OCA and ACNA.  Please don't put out that kind of speculation.  There are enough people around who are bashing SVS and the OCA over that conference, acting as if it were a rehash of the Council of Florence.  In reality, barring some shady backdoor dealings that didn't make it onto Ancient Faith Radio, it was just some harmless schmoozing between schools and nothing more. 

I've got some insights from very credible sources.  But, as I said, it is speculation; there is no harm in repeating speculation which I have received even from clergy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:59:51 PM »

WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.

Oh, I suppose you won't want to know about the practice at the EO seminary here that is part of what is called the "Graduate Theological Union".

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 11:25:43 PM »

WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.

What about the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: