OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 01:15:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing Holy Chrism  (Read 761 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: October 25, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »

Are there any other autocephalous Churches apart from Church of Poland that do not make their own Chrism?

I would also like to know something about technical issues, like what ingredients are used

TIA, mike

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:15:33 PM »

I would also like to know something about technical issues, like what ingredients are used

I know you probably intend the question to be about the EO Churches, but I just thought I would mention that the ingredients for chrism ("muron") in the Armenian Church are in replies 6 and 7 of the thread below:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17398.msg253847.html#msg253847

It would be interesting to compare the different practices of different Churches.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:20:54 AM »

Thank you for having this tagged. It answers my first question.

Thank you Salpy for having answered my second question.

It looks like, I've not done proper research.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:51:54 AM »

Are there any other autocephalous Churches apart from Church of Poland that do not make their own Chrism?

Many autocephalous EO churches do not sanctify their own Holy Chrism. In fact, IIRC, only Moscow, Serbia, Romania and the OCA do. The other Patriarchs and Metropolitan Archbishops come to Constantinople about every 10 years or so for a very large Pan-Orthodox service, where the Holy Chrism is consecrated.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »

Quote from: mike
Where does the Church of Poland receive Holy Chrism from? Moscow or Constantinople?

The Patriarchate of Bulgaria consecrates its own Chrism. After 1945 it has been done seven times - in 1950, 1961, 1974, 1988, 1995, 2002 and 2009. AFAIK between 1872 and 1945, the Bulgarian Church received Holy Chrism from Moscow, because it was considered schismatic by Constantinople.

The Chrism consists of pure olive oil, white grape wine and over 30 other ingredients. The Patriarch starts its preparation on Holy Monday, then it is boiled three days and is consecrated on Holy Thursday during the Liturgy of Saint Basil.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 10:49:13 AM »

Where does the Church of Poland receive Holy Chrism from? Moscow or Constantinople?

It depends. One time from Moscow, one time - from Constantinople. The last time we took from Constantinople during that pan-Orthodox preparations.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: chrism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: